PDA

View Full Version : Increase in Tick populations blamed on heavy snowpack

woodsy
06-13-2008, 07:37
Yes, there are a lot of Ticks this year, been picking them off every day I go in the woods or yard it seems. Mostly dog ticks so far.
Story here (http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/5149937.html)
How thick are they where you are?

JAK
06-13-2008, 07:56
We've had lots of deer in our neighbourhood for several years now and no reported cases of Lyme disease. Well it finally happened. Little boy in my daughter's class has Lyme disease. What is the most informative link on what the risks are, and what to look for and so forth?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-13-2008, 08:06
Our tick population down south seems to be diminishing - I've heard elderly locals saying they can't mate in prolonged heat - and we have certainly had that here. Anyone know if it is so that heat makes ticks less amorous?

woodsy
06-13-2008, 10:10
American Lyme Disease Foundation (http://www.aldf.com/deerTickEcology.shtml)
Google Deer Tick for other info sites.
Heres the CDC Lyme Disease risk range map (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/riskmap.htm)

warraghiyagey
06-13-2008, 10:19
That's why I wear the Hartz 2 and 1 Plus collar.

JAK
06-13-2008, 11:09
I've heard elderly locals saying they can't mate in prolonged heat - ... but this hasn't been your personal experience eh?

Nearly Normal
06-13-2008, 12:10
Our tick population down south seems to be diminishing - I've heard elderly locals saying they can't mate in prolonged heat - and we have certainly had that here. Anyone know if it is so that heat makes ticks less amorous?

I don't know where you are but the Sea Islands of South Carolina are ate up with them thangs. I bet I got 50 off me the other day.
I did notice a decrease for a couple of years after our last controlled burn but they returned thicker than ever.
It gets harder all the time to burn off the woods and the drought don't help.
I've also noticed an increase in wolves on the squirrels. Some call it a "warble".

Heater
06-13-2008, 17:58
... but this hasn't been your personal experience eh?

They have little blue pills for that these days.

River Runner
06-14-2008, 02:28
Ticks are numerous in our area. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake putting Frontline on the dog - he still brings them in, but they don't attach to him, and we are finding them on us!

Old Hillwalker
06-14-2008, 07:48
Ticks are numerous in our area. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake putting Frontline on the dog - he still brings them in, but they don't attach to him, and we are finding them on us!

Frontline doesn't repel the ticks, just kills them once they ingest the dog's blood. You should find dead ticks around the house although they are hard to see. If you dog sleeps in bed with you then you will probably find dead ones, and live ones that dropped off the dog before finding a spot to suckle.

Old Hillwalker
06-14-2008, 07:54
That's why I wear the Hartz 2 and 1 Plus collar.

Guys used to wear those when I was in Nam. The medics freaked when they found out, claiming that the chemicals released into the human bloodstream were potentially very harmful to humans and that the long term effects could be deadly.

Dogs and cats don't live long enough to see the prolonged effects of this chemical cocktail.

Hope you're kidding! If not, maybe a product like Frontline applied to your neck will be more effective, and deadly.

Egads
06-14-2008, 08:28
I've also noticed an increase in wolves on the squirrels. Some call it a "warble".

What is a wolve on a squirrel?

woodsy
06-14-2008, 08:33
Yeah I've noticed that too, but they are easier to find on us:rolleyes::D

Wags
06-14-2008, 11:08
i'd recommend trying advantix instead of frontline. it's a little bit better of a product and it somehow numbs the mouths of the ticks so they can't even bit on your pet

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 13:00
Yes, there are a lot of Ticks this year, been picking them off every day I go in the woods or yard it seems. Mostly dog ticks so far.
Story here (http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/5149937.html)
How thick are they where you are?
I'll correct the spelling so Lonewolf won't have to. Tic t-i-c not t-i-c-k

Bob S
06-14-2008, 13:42

:p Does anyone want to mate in prolonged heat???

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 14:15
OK. I'm an idiot. a tic is a nervous twitch and a tick is a small parasite. I'm glad I caught this before someone else did.

woodsy
06-14-2008, 14:38
And where did you go to grammar school?:p

OK. I'm an idiot. a tic is a nervous twitch and a tick is a small parasite. I'm glad I caught this before someone else did.
Ahahahahahaha, Ahahahahahaha
seriously, good recovery but what you really need is that edit button so become a donating member so you can clean up messes like this.:rolleyes::D
And don't ever try correcting my grammar again.

TIDE-HSV
06-14-2008, 15:21
"Wolves" or "warbles" on squirrels are bot fly larvae under the skin...

slowandlow
06-14-2008, 18:10
My wife started having the symptoms of Lyme disease this year near the RPH shelter and it caused us to get off the trail in Kent. We went home and Lyme disease was confirmed by local Dr. We were hiking HF to Katahdin to complete the AT, but the rest will have to wait till next year. BTW, my wife did not get the characteristic "bullseye rash" and never saw the tick that gave it to her, so check yourself for ticks multiple times per day.

Rockhound
06-14-2008, 18:16
And where did you go to grammar school?:p

Ahahahahahaha, Ahahahahahaha
seriously, good recovery but what you really need is that edit button so become a donating member so you can clean up messes like this.:rolleyes::D
And don't ever try correcting my grammar again.
I'm sure she's a nice lady. I would never try to correct her.

mudhead
06-15-2008, 19:31
I'm sure she's a nice lady. I would never try to correct her.

Probably wise. She might know Mr. Mann.

walkin' wally
06-15-2008, 20:54
There have been quite a few ticks on hikers in the Belgrade region in Maine.
They're being found in the low growth out in the sunny areas. These are not deer ticks but rather dog ticks. Large numbers of them though.