PDA

View Full Version : Last minute suggestions?

Red Hat
06-13-2008, 10:01
Okay, so all of us who are heading SOBO this year are bored, and antsy, ready to go. Anyone with SOBO experience have some great advice for us? Something besides bring Deet?

Captain
06-13-2008, 10:05
i will be using no DEET

4eyedbuzzard
06-13-2008, 10:07
i will be using no DEET

Starting in September, eh?

Captain
06-13-2008, 10:09
July 1st

Red Hat
06-13-2008, 10:12
Guess I better bring enough for us both, lol. But you can't use my bug shirt!

4eyedbuzzard
06-13-2008, 10:15
Guess I better bring enough for us both, lol.!

You should be able to make enough to finance your entire hike by the time you reach Gorham if you gouge him on the price just a little.

Captain
06-13-2008, 10:19
B vitamins make you sublimaly stink to everything that bites so they will stay away from me

Red Hat
06-13-2008, 10:20
yeah right... how much hiking have you done? B vitamins don't even keep away Texas mosquitos, and certainly not Maine black flies... but, as they say, ignorance is bliss...

Captain
06-13-2008, 10:24
once i went to maine with the boyscout troop a high adventure week and i was cooling off in the lake then i was like " IM SHOT , OH GOD!" cuase this pair of horse sized flies apperently found me very tasty i did not leave my tent the rest of the night

gravityman
06-13-2008, 11:01
Permethrin all your clothes and hats! It's worth it! Really helps with ticks! (sounds like you already have a shirt, but do socks, shorts, hat, shoes, anything you wear)

Gravity (a nobo, but no stranger to bugs).

Red Hat
06-13-2008, 11:06
Thanks for that one, gravity. I have permethrin and will do it before I leave. As I understand, it lasts for only a week or so... Also, does permethrin go bad in the can? Mine is several years old....

Captain
06-13-2008, 11:12
what is that

peakbagger
06-13-2008, 11:14
Dont assume everyone was overemphasizing how "tough" the trail in Maine is by the first couple of days in the 100 mile wilderness. Hold off on the judgement until Monson and then reconsider the initial judgement when you hit the Maine line.

mudhead
06-13-2008, 20:59
i will be using no DEET

July 1st

yeah right... how much hiking have you done? B vitamins don't even keep away Texas mosquitos, and certainly not Maine black flies... but, as they say, ignorance is bliss...

I think they sell bug spray at Abol Bridge.

Seems like the blackflies are petered out. (Watch, I'll get gnawed tomorrow.)

Peakbagger had an interesting comment.

bigcranky
06-13-2008, 22:03
Thanks for that one, gravity. I have permethrin and will do it before I leave. As I understand, it lasts for only a week or so... Also, does permethrin go bad in the can? Mine is several years old....

I have the same questions -- I have a can of permethrin that is several years old and never used. Getting ready to head out to central VA early Sunday morning for a week.

I can everything, right? Shoes, socks, shirt, shorts, rain shell, etc. -- no problem with synthetic fabrics or wool??

Thx.

bigcranky
06-13-2008, 22:04
Um, I think my last post needed a verb. How about "spray?"

4eyedbuzzard
06-13-2008, 22:29
I have the same questions -- I have a can of permethrin that is several years old and never used. Getting ready to head out to central VA early Sunday morning for a week.

I can everything, right? Shoes, socks, shirt, shorts, rain shell, etc. -- no problem with synthetic fabrics or wool??

Thx.

Sawyer says 4 year shelf life on their product but I usually figure those mfg's numbers are pretty conservative. If it's stable for 4 years it's probably good for at least 6. http://www.sawyerproducts.com/msds/MSDS%20SP657%2024ozTrigger.PDF

I've only sprayed clothing for two years now - outerwear made of cotton, wool, poly and various nylon but haven't ever had a problem. I don't own any silk so I couldn't comment on that. They say to test on a small part of the fabric for a reaction if you're worried. I didn't spray my rain shell or pants as the stuff beads up and it won't soak into the fabric and bind with the fibers anyway. I just spray my boots/trail shoe uppers and cuffs, socks, shorts, pants, tee shirts, base layering, long sleeve shirt and hat. Some say not to spray underwear, but permethrin shouldn't be a problem against the skin once it's dried and bound to the clothing fibers. It isn't water soluable so sweat shouldn't dissolve it and it isn't absorbed well through the skin.

Be carful when applying it though as it is extremely toxic to aquatic life and bees.

And it isn't without some controvesy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

rasudduth
06-14-2008, 00:00
1. Put everything you plan on taking with together, everything that you are planning to take. Then take out 3 items to lighten your load. Start with the MINIMUM then add back luxury items at least somewhere South of Monson.

2. Recycle those nalgenes forever and buy 1L Gatorade or powerade bottles (they are lighter than nalgenes).

3. Your food bag will be really really heavy. Consider doing a 2-3 meal resupply (or more) at Whitehouse landing (expensive but worth getting the weight off your back). Plus the hiker box with have several things in it (the one at Shaw's will as well).

4. Take a zero day in Monson. You are not being wimpy by doing this. It will save your knees.

5. We craved a sugary drink after dinner (powdered gatorade or nuun works great), MusicMan after drinking mine every night finally started carrying it too.

6. Deet and a headnet

7. Aleve/Vit I/Tylenol - you can alternate them so you always have pain relieved but never overdose on one kind. Aleve worked sooooo much better for me than Vit. I. I am sad I did not discover it until VA. You will be too.

8. The Maine maps were our favorites of the whole trail. Best organized/most helpful elevation scale. Get a set of them.

9. Don't get mad at the NOBOs that aren't into chatting with you on trail when you start in Maine. You too will get the 2,000 mile stare by the end of your hike and be less talkative to section/day hikers.

10. If you do get a talkative NOBO, ask them where their favorite towns/stops/hostels/shelters were. Helpful info.

11. You will see a lot more people in the 100 mile wilderness (and Maine for that matter) than you expect.

THE END.

boarstone
06-14-2008, 07:34
Great post Rasudduth, from one whose been there. That "100 miler" is a "bugger"....in places..and great in others. Once past Cooper Brook the swamps are left behind...:D

TJ aka Teej
06-14-2008, 07:57
Something besides bring Deet?

I hope you're staying two nights in Baxter, before and after your climb. I always recommend that plan to MEGAs.
Go u[p Abol, come down Hunt.
Don't bring a watch that beeps.
Long pants, long sleeves, and a head net. A warm cap for summits and sleeping in.
Buddy up at fords.
Get up early, cook breakfast an hour down the trail.
When you see signs saying 'view', go view.
When near ponds, stop and be quiet. Listen for what sounds like someone pouring a bucket of water into a bathtub. That's a moose feeding in the pond.
Nap.
Bearbag so the redsquirrels don't eat your gorp.
Sleep on the Rainbow ledges.
Drink deep at Potywadjo.
Camp at Antlers.
Tent on Whitecap.
If you're in Monson on Friday night, go the General.
Visit Greenville, eat ice cream, and get a lobster roll at Flatlanders.
Don't bounce a box between Monson and Caratunk. You'll hike into Caratunk a day before your box gets there.
No services at Caratunk, Steve the Ferryman is gone. Skip the rafting joints, hitch 30 minutes up to Jackman.
Take the canoe.
After the Kennebec, you'll have it figured out.

oh, yeah...
Have fun!

Blue Jay
06-14-2008, 08:11
TJ nails it as usual. Also eat Garlic, not only for the bugs, but to keep the good bacteria in your stomach strong. Plus it keeps NOBOs away.:banana

Blue Jay
06-14-2008, 08:23
7. Aleve/Vit I/Tylenol - you can alternate them so you always have pain relieved but never overdose on one kind. Aleve worked sooooo much better for me than Vit. I. I am sad I did not discover it until VA. You will be too.

NOT. Even the manufacturers do not recommend this, and it's not due to overdose but long term use. You only have one liver, don't damage it. Pain is telling you to do something, that is it's evolutionary function. Slow down, do less miles per day, take more breaks. Taking a pill and then not listening to what your body is trying to tell you is not the answer and could end your hike. I cringe when I hear the term "Vitamin I".

rafe
06-14-2008, 08:42
I cringe when I hear the term "Vitamin I".

I'm not aware of any seriously bad effects from Ibuprofen. It's an anti-inflammatory. I'd probably avoid megadoses of the stuff, if possible.

I remember twisting my ankle the first or second day south out of Baxter... without ibuprofen, it would have been a miserable trip. Ceasing all forward motion just isn't an option on a long hike, especially in the 100-mile wilderness.

Captain
06-14-2008, 08:48
fords arent that bad are they like no actual swimming required? like waist deep or other wise theres a bridge or a path around?

rafe
06-14-2008, 08:54
fords arent that bad are they like no actual swimming required? like waist deep or other wise theres a bridge or a path around?

Except for the Kennebec (where there's a canoe to take you across) there's no swimming involved. I did the 100-mile stretch in September; there were no fords more than knee-deep. The water in some places moves very quickly, and the stream bottom can be very slippery. These were the biggest challenges.

Captain
06-14-2008, 08:57
not related to this thread in any way but this isn't straight forward forum , how are new shelters decided on.. who pays to have them built and up kept

rafe
06-14-2008, 09:03
not related to this thread in any way but this isn't straight forward forum , how are new shelters decided on.. who pays to have them built and up kept

I think in general there aren't many new shelters being put up, though periodically old decrepit ones are taken down and rebuilt (sometimes a short distance from the old location.) Not sure where the money comes from, though I imagine ATC plays a part (and USFS, BLM, etc.)

4eyedbuzzard
06-14-2008, 09:37
Back to vitamin I and such. Ibuprofen use has been linked to increases in stomach and GI bleeding, kidney damage, etc. Using it within reason isn't likely to be a problem, but the full anti-inflammatory effect isn't realized until you take it regularly for many weeks, so it isn't completely without risk. Tylenol on the other hand is more toxic to your liver, and OD ing on Tylenol can be really serious and life threatening. Long term use of Tylenol can cause severe liver damage. Taken occaisionally as directed , it's a great OTC pain killer.

I've taken Ibuprofen for several years in high doses with multiple back injuries and try to get off it as soon as I can due to the possible GI and kidney effects. But it does really help with inflammation.

If you have that much chronic pain that you're taking either of them all the time you really should be under a doctors care.

kayak karl
06-14-2008, 14:41
Guess I better bring enough for us both, lol. But you can't use my bug shirt!
Whats a bug shirt? other then the one i find on google search "the original bug shirt"

Moe
06-14-2008, 21:21
Whats a bug shirt? other then the one i find on google search "the original bug shirt"

Possibly a shirt saturated with DEET? If that's the case I have 3 bug shirts, 2 bug pants, 2 bug socks, and 1 bug bandana.:p

mudhead
06-14-2008, 21:33

I found a mesh, hooded, anorak style jacket/shirt in the park several days ago. I have seen pants of the same material. (Felt harsh to the touch!)

Red Hat
06-15-2008, 08:10
thanks for all the great suggestions! I carry Ibuprofen but have not had to use it yet, so I doubt I'll overdose. My bug shirt is mesh with a hood, like the one googled.

rickb
06-15-2008, 09:23
Previous advise is better, so this is all I could think of:

1. If and when you see a moose in a stream or pond, sit and enjoy if for at least a half hour. While you will probably see more, who knows? Same goes for other critters, but they will probably move before you do.

2. If you see a Grey Jay, stop and raise you hands to the sky and announce to your hiking buddies that you are the beast master. Then command the denizens of the forest to come to you for the Word. A bit of Gorp hidden outstretched hand is optional.

3. Screw the tiny weenie backpacking flashlights and get a police-quality tactical light like this one http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl2d.htm[url]. Sure it uses two AA batteries and weighs about the same as two snickers bars, but when it comes time to jacking the bear going after your food bag, the ultra lighters won't be laughing at you any longer. Its good for owls, too.

4. Molskin or other blister First Aid material. Be sure to stop and fiddle with your feet if you have a hot spot, even if the bugs are out.

Captain
06-15-2008, 09:32
seems like ill be counting on the hamlin ridge trail now

rickb
06-15-2008, 09:45
Once you get to the start of the AT at Baxter Peak, you walk across an extremely wide and flat platueau before heading down the mountain. Very relaxing and cool for those of us who don't much like heights.

When you first start to descend it looks like you are going to have to hike straight down. If you didn't come up that way (I didn't either) it can be a bit scary, since you don't know what's ahead. You see these rebar hand holds and there is a bit of a scramble. Don't **** your pants like I did.

Fact of the mater is that going SOBO that stretch looks much worse than it is is. It is an optical illusion. And even that stretch doesn't last long, and is really a piece of cake.

RickB

mudhead
06-15-2008, 14:29
That is why I think someone with height issues should go Hunt up, Hunt down.

Less freaky, knowing you just came up it...

Saddle might be open by the time you need it anyway.

Moe
06-16-2008, 00:24
That is why I think someone with height issues should go Hunt up, Hunt down.

That's what I plan on doing...It just seems like the easiest way to start out the hike. I don't have any height issues, just don't feel like fussing around with shuttling my pack around, and possibly having to hitch rides on my first day or two on the trail. Start out with the fewest amount of complications as possible.

Odd Thomas
06-16-2008, 00:58
NOT. Even the manufacturers do not recommend this, and it's not due to overdose but long term use. You only have one liver, don't damage it.

Ibuprofen is metabolized mostly by the kidneys. Tylenol by the liver.

Captain
06-16-2008, 02:30
That's what I plan on doing...It just seems like the easiest way to start out the hike. I don't have any height issues, just don't feel like fussing around with shuttling my pack around, and possibly having to hitch rides on my first day or two on the trail. Start out with the fewest amount of complications as possible.

my only real reason for starting north side of the mountain is cause i want my FIRST step on the AT to be on the summit of baxter. kind of symbolic thing i have. for me it would kind of ruin it starting in the parking lot hiking the AT UP to the START point THEN start back down just my personal thing that a therapist couldn't fix with 5 years of twice a week appointments..i salute him for trying though

rafe
06-16-2008, 08:38
my only real reason for starting north side of the mountain is cause i want my FIRST step on the AT to be on the summit of baxter. kind of symbolic thing i have. for me it would kind of ruin it starting in the parking lot hiking the AT UP to the START point THEN start back down just my personal thing that a therapist couldn't fix with 5 years of twice a week appointments..i salute him for trying though

An AT virgin, eh?

I always wondered why folks would want to chew off 2000+ miles of a trail they've never set foot on. :-? Here's hoping the reality lives up to your dream...

hopefulhiker
06-16-2008, 08:57
I would bring extra socks, and take poles too. RedHat. I flip/flopped in 05 and hiked south from Kytadin..

The glacier ponds flooded the trail with the big rain we had... I was hiking through water most of the time even into the Bigalows.

Also be careful descending Kytadin. I fell and sustained a shoulder injury that lasted for a year.. It was called a "frozen shoulder"

Maine is definetly the hardest and most beautiful state. If you have time, try to take the Blue Blaze trail, to the left down to Pierce Pond falls..It is a short way but straight down!

rafe
06-16-2008, 09:02
One simple trick for descending very, very steep terrain: face into the hill and ease yourself down. That way you get to use your hands. It's much safer than facing downhill.

Red Hat
06-16-2008, 09:06
Yes, terrapin, I learned that one on Dragon's Tooth... Oh and Captain, I remember quite well the first time I stepped on the AT back in June 03 outside Damascus. Not nearly as dramatic as K, but memorable, just the same. Hopeful Hiker, so I should take my poles to climb Katahdin? Someone else once said they become problematic and to leave them with my stuff at the rangers...

rafe
06-16-2008, 09:17
Yes, terrapin, I learned that one on Dragon's Tooth... Oh and Captain, I remember quite well the first time I stepped on the AT back in June 03 outside Damascus. Not nearly as dramatic as K, but memorable, just the same. Hopeful Hiker, so I should take my poles to climb Katahdin? Someone else once said they become problematic and to leave them with my stuff at the rangers...

Poles on Katahdin: iffy, in the boulder fields. If they're folding (collapsing) poles and you can lash them to your pack, bring them along. If it's steep enough to use your hands, put the poles away and use your hands.

Red Hat
06-16-2008, 09:21
Thanks again, terrapin!