PDA

View Full Version : Hiking is 3rd most dangerous sport.

Odd Thomas
06-15-2008, 02:53
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/14/SP1K118B7V.DTL

Hunting not on the list.

Note that hunting is not on the list. Hunting accidents may be very few, but they are often tragic and make the news.
This reminds me of a joke story I was told when Vice President Dick Cheney made a 911 call after a hunting accident.
"I shot my buddy in the face by accident and I think he's dead," Cheney said.
"Are you sure?" asked the dispatcher.
Silence followed on the line, followed by a tremendous bang.
"OK," Cheney said, back on the phone, "Now what?"

CherrypieScout
06-15-2008, 22:34
Interesting. My two surgeries were due to hiking incidents. One - showing off and walking logs in the Sipsey Wilderness, (Alabama), fell and tore my rotator cuff trying to grab branches on the way down. The surgeon told me the fall was the last straw for worn and previously torn muscles and ligaments. Tore my ACL on the AT about 40 miles from the car. Just stepped dwon wrong. Wrapped it and hiked on. Didn't hurt so much, just would not support me.

HikerRanky
06-15-2008, 22:49
Different take on the same study:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/cdcs-most-dangerous-outdoor-sports/

TIDE-HSV
06-16-2008, 00:07
Six weeks ago, I was training in Monte Sano State Park, in HUntsville, AL, about two blocks from my home, and took a fall with about 25 lb on my back, onto the handle of my old Leki with the old "T" handle. Knocked my #2 rib left side off my sternum. Dumbest accident ever for me...

Frosty
06-16-2008, 00:44
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/14/SP1K118B7V.DTL

Hunting not on the list.Obviously this article was not written by a duck or a deer.

jersey joe
06-16-2008, 08:13
Despite this study, I still don't think hiking is very dangerous. I just think there are so many more people out there hiking than doing a lot of other activities. Especially older people who are more likely to get hurt seriously by a fall.

Newb
06-16-2008, 08:48
Once again, I have to point out that just this weekend AKA Grace broke her ankle on Weaverton cliff...I took a tumble on South Mountain as well this weekend.

Mags
06-16-2008, 09:38
Sledding was higher than hiking. The only serious injury I've ever sustained (a broken collar bone) was from sledding when I was about 6 yrs old.

I went head first on a Flexible Flyer-type sled. My shoulder connected with a swing set. Yowch!

Hiking? A few misc scars on my legs and one nasty one on my forearm from when I slipped into the mud in Maine.

I'd say hiking ranks so "high" is that because more people do it than other outdoor activities. More numbers = more injuries.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2008, 09:41
hiking is hardly dangerous :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
06-16-2008, 09:42
I'd say hiking ranks so "high" is that because more people do it than other outdoor activities. More numbers = more injuries.

Agreed. I'd like to see the number of accidents per 100,000 participants, and compare activities.

Mags
06-16-2008, 09:52
Agreed. I'd like to see the number of accidents per 100,000 participants, and compare activities.

Yep. That would be the more telling statistic (if hard to calculate!).

Hiking is not dangerous. But any activity can be injury prone. Because a wider variety of people hike (which can mean anything from a stroll in the local open space trail that is really a flat bike path to hiking a 14er), there are different levels of fitness and experience as well.

So overall I think hiking is ranked "high" in the danger level just because of sheer numbers and not because of any inherit danger.

Base Jumping is probably more dangerous...but a hell of a lot less people do it.

Lies. Damn Lies. Statistics.

mudhead
06-16-2008, 10:39
The thing is iffy. Two tourists take a walk on a gravel path after their tea and popovers and twist an ankle. They have not been off concrete in ten years. Hiking injury.

envirodiver
06-16-2008, 11:06
I'm not sure that the phrase "dangerous sports" really applies. Several sports were not listed, such as skydiving, because accidents rarely result in injury, just death. So I guess if it kills you, that's not really an injury.

TIDE-HSV
06-16-2008, 11:15
Before last month, I'd fallen twice in over fifty years of hiking, with no injuries. My accident happened on a trail I've used for over thirty years, stepping over that same rock thousands of times. I fell because I was trying to get my time down for that particular circuit, and presto, I'm a statistic...

Pedaling Fool
06-16-2008, 11:17
I don't know if I would agree it's the 3rd most dangerous sport, but it is high-impact. You can get in outstanding shape hiking (cardio), but it does take a toll on certain joints.

Alligator
06-16-2008, 11:18
Here's the actual article.

flemdawg1
06-16-2008, 11:35
I would also add that most snowboard-related injuries are likely due to the idiot snow-boarders running over skiers. It seems nearly everyone I talk to who skies ends up being ran over by hooligans on snowboards.

Mags
06-16-2008, 11:39
It seems nearly everyone I talk to who skies ends up being ran over by hooligans on snowboards.

Go back country. Hardly any snowboarders....

(I've only been area skiing twice in my life. So I really can't comment on snowboarders at resorts).

Yukon
06-16-2008, 11:43
I would also add that most snowboard-related injuries are likely due to the idiot snow-boarders running over skiers. It seems nearly everyone I talk to who skies ends up being ran over by hooligans on snowboards.

This is an utterly stupid remark...

Frosty
06-16-2008, 11:43
Especially older people who are more likely to get hurt seriously by a fall.HEY! No senior bashing. It's not our fault. Medicare won't cover titanium walkers.

flemdawg1
06-16-2008, 11:48

Why? Elaborate please.

mudhead
06-16-2008, 11:49
I bet a nickel this will deteriorate into a snowboard pro/con thread.

Short skis suck.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2008, 11:52

no. it's pretty true. i worked at a ski area for 10 winters. saw it a lot

TIDE-HSV
06-16-2008, 12:00
No senior bashing. It's not our fault. Medicare won't cover titanium walkers.

Yeah, I caught that too. Senior hiker tend to be excellent shape, and, so far as reflexes go, nothing hits the ground which falls around me. Last year, I dropped my digital camera in Copenhagen and managed to catch it between my toes. :rolleyes:

rafe
06-16-2008, 12:00

I've skied almost all my life -- started at age 8, I'm 55 now -- and I have to disagree. It is true that snowboarders have a bit of a blind spot, since they're inherently poised to face either left or right. At least that was my experience when I messed around on boards for a few years.

I patrolled for a few years in upstate New York at a small private ski area where the management had the same attitude as you. Within a few years they shut down, permanently. I've gotten used to kids on boards... and even some adults. Bitching about snowboards is so... 1980s.

Yukon
06-16-2008, 12:20
no. it's pretty true. i worked at a ski area for 10 winters. saw it a lot

Yeah well I have been snowboarding AND skiing for 20+ years now and have worked at various mountains on the side for 12 years. There's bad skiers and snowboarders alike, to single out snowboarders is like I said before, a stupid remark.

Yukon
06-16-2008, 12:23
I've skied almost all my life -- started at age 8, I'm 55 now -- and I have to disagree. It is true that snowboarders have a bit of a blind spot, since they're inherently poised to face either left or right. At least that was my experience when I messed around on boards for a few years.

I patrolled for a few years in upstate New York at a small private ski area where the management had the same attitude as you. Within a few years they shut down, permanently. I've gotten used to kids on boards... and even some adults. Bitching about snowboards is so... 1980s.

Good post...which mountain in Upstate NY by the way?

jersey joe
06-16-2008, 12:50
HEY! No senior bashing. It's not our fault. Medicare won't cover titanium walkers.
Oh stop, I was not senior "bashing"...As we all get older, we break easier that is all. Not a whole lot of seniors going out sledding these days either. And Frosty, 61 qualifies as a senior now?

Mags
06-16-2008, 12:54
Oh stop, I was not senior "bashing"...As we all get older, we break easier that is all. Not a whole lot of seniors going out sledding these days either. And Frosty, 61 qualifies as a senior now?

I believe he is making what is known as "a joke". ;)

woodsy
06-16-2008, 12:59
Hiking is 3rd most dangerous sport.
Like most recreational sports, hiking is only as dangerous as the person engaging in it.

rafe
06-16-2008, 12:59
Good post...which mountain in Upstate NY by the way?

Ski Valley -- about five miles south of Bristol Mountain, basically the same ridge line. I patrolled there during my last couple of years of college (1975-ish) and for a couple of years in the early 1990s. They shut down about ten years ago.

Yukon
06-16-2008, 13:11
Ski Valley -- about five miles south of Bristol Mountain, basically the same ridge line. I patrolled there during my last couple of years of college (1975-ish) and for a couple of years in the early 1990s. They shut down about ten years ago.

Nice, I did get a chance to hit that mountain once before it closed, in the early 90's actually...

rafe
06-16-2008, 13:49
Nice, I did get a chance to hit that mountain once before it closed, in the early 90's actually...

I wouldn't even call it a mountain.. it was a hill. Bristol claimed a vertical of around 1100 feet. Ski Valley was around 700.

superman
06-16-2008, 14:13
I'm not sure that the phrase "dangerous sports" really applies. Several sports were not listed, such as skydiving, because accidents rarely result in injury, just death. So I guess if it kills you, that's not really an injury.

I used to sky dive. Since I had a reserve chute (plan B), I didn't consider it particularly risky. I've done a lot of things in my life where there was no plan B. I jumped a couple times after having had a jump where I almost ate dirt. Then I switched to a safer hobby...hiking.

In the words of the Las Vegas jump club..."Why bet money when you can bet your life."

The roots of Maine...Oh, the horror.

superman
06-16-2008, 14:19

Every winter I make a luge course that goes down to my lower field. When it's iced we go like a raped ape. It has two high banked turns in it that keep the old people off it. I use it even when I'm home alone.

Yukon
06-16-2008, 14:21
I wouldn't even call it a mountain.. it was a hill. Bristol claimed a vertical of around 1100 feet. Ski Valley was around 700.

Haha, the mountain I run the groomer at right now as a side job only has a 505ft vertical drop:) But it's still a great mountain to ski and ride at!

www.willardmountain.com (http://www.willardmountain.com)

RadioFreq
06-16-2008, 14:31
Different take on the same study:

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/cdcs-most-dangerous-outdoor-sports/

I can see it now.....HIKING as the newest event on the X-GAMES.

Pedaling Fool
06-16-2008, 14:36
Yeah well I have been snowboarding AND skiing for 20+ years now and have worked at various mountains on the side for 12 years. There's bad skiers and snowboarders alike, to single out snowboarders is like I said before, a stupid remark.
Not if they're anything like skateboarders.:eek:

flemdawg1
06-16-2008, 14:48

Yeah my step-dad got wipe out by one of them (snowboarders) back in November and had to have his ACL repaired. :mad:

Yukon
06-16-2008, 15:10
Yeah my step-dad got wipe out by one of them (snowboarders) back in November and had to have his ACL repaired. :mad:

Yeah, and I have been wiped out before by out of control skiers, but I didn't label skiers "bad" after the incidents...

Yukon
06-16-2008, 15:12

Weak, I know many skateboarders that are active in their communites and portray good images. I also know some that are punks. Come to think of it, I know hikers that are good people and hikers that are punks...funny how that works.

flemdawg1
06-16-2008, 15:16
Dude relax. Alot of people I've talked to, said they've been hit or nearly hit by snowboarders. Thats it. I didn't call for a ban or anything. So chill, m'kay.

Pedaling Fool
06-16-2008, 15:26

Weak, I know many skateboarders that are active in their communites and portray good images. I also know some that are punks. Come to think of it, I know hikers that are good people and hikers that are punks...funny how that works.
It's not weak; it's eek:eek:

Wags
06-16-2008, 15:26
i don't consider hiking a sport

rafe
06-16-2008, 15:34
Dude relax. Alot of people I've talked to, said they've been hit or nearly hit by snowboarders. Thats it. I didn't call for a ban or anything. So chill, m'kay.

Just curious, how much snowboarding is there around Huntsville, Alabama? :-?

Yukon
06-16-2008, 16:01

I don't need to chill because I'm not worked up, simply pointing out how uninformed you are. You don't even have any experience of your own to speak of...

Yukon
06-16-2008, 16:01
It's not weak; it's eek:eek:

How wity...

superman
06-16-2008, 16:10

It's not a sport unless you get to play defense.:)

Captn
06-16-2008, 19:54
What's the saying?????

50% of statistics can be made to say anything .... 60% of the time??

CrumbSnatcher
06-16-2008, 21:20
hiking is hardly dangerous :rolleyes:
depends L.W. seen alot of hikers that couldn't balance a checkbook let alone thier body/backpacks on some of the terain:)

DBT fan
06-16-2008, 23:17

I think the same way. For me, it doesn't involve competition (winning or losing) or a unified set of rules. It's not like anyone one would watch hiking for entertainment. Sport is not the right word. :-?

mkmangold
06-17-2008, 01:29

Or, the # of accidents/person/hour. In other words, the more people that are out there doing a particular event and the amount of time participating in that event. Come on: how does 500 hours of rock climbing compare to 500 hours of hiking for a single (and I don't mean unmarried) preson?

Flush2wice
06-17-2008, 07:49
I'd like to see where these hospitals are that participated in the study. Down south bike riders out number sledders on any given day about a thousand to one. How about a sprained ankle shooting hoops at the park? How about cracked heads or broken wrists while skateboarding? The numbers on this study don't sound right. Our doc says he sees more trauma from backyard trampolines than any other kid activity.

Flush2wice
06-17-2008, 07:52

It's not a sport unless you get to play defense.:)

I think the same way. For me, it doesn't involve competition (winning or losing) or a unified set of rules. It's not like anyone one would watch hiking for entertainment. Sport is not the right word. :-?
The study is talking about outdoor activities, not sports.

Rockhound
06-17-2008, 08:10
mixed martial arts? football? hockey? rugby? boxing? cliff diving? sky diving? speed eating? lacrosse? extreme skiing? race car driving? seems to me there might be a few more sports more dangerous than hiking.

superman
06-17-2008, 08:31
The study is talking about outdoor activities, not sports.

OK, got it.

If they showed hiking as it is the viewers could not only raid the frig and not miss anything but they could go slaughter a cow, barbecue it, eat, clean up and still not miss anything. However, if they made rules, allowed defense, include a point system and had a finish point it might be more watchable and you could call it a sport.

Odd Thomas
06-17-2008, 08:47
mixed martial arts? football? hockey? rugby? boxing? cliff diving? sky diving? speed eating? lacrosse? extreme skiing? race car driving? seems to me there might be a few more sports more dangerous than hiking.

I don't know why racing is a sport, the driver just sits there. Nothing exciting happens unless they crash :p

woodsy
06-17-2008, 08:49
Not trying to get technical here but sport(s) has different meanings depending on whether it is used as a noun, verb, or adjective.
In this case it is used as a noun and here is the definition of that noun from Merriam-Webster dictionary:
Main Entry: 2sport Function:noun Date:15th century 1 a: a source of diversion : recreation (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recreation) b: sexual play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure
FYI

Odd Thomas
06-17-2008, 08:55

Hang gliding is a sport, I don't know of any rules or competition involved though.

mudhead
06-17-2008, 08:57

I don't keep score, either.

superman
06-17-2008, 09:54
Not trying to get technical here but sport(s) has different meanings depending on whether it is used as a noun, verb, or adjective.
In this case it is used as a noun and here is the definition of that noun from Merriam-Webster dictionary:
Main Entry: 2sport Function:noun Date:15th century 1 a: a source of diversion : recreation (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recreation) b: sexual play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure
FYI

There you go confusing an issue with facts.:D

woodsy
06-17-2008, 09:59
There you go confusing an issue with facts.:D
Someone had to do it, LOL :D.
Notice, sex is considered a sport too!

Odd Thomas
06-17-2008, 10:01
Someone had to do it, LOL :D.
Notice, sex is considered a sport too!

Heh, I even keep score! :p

superman
06-17-2008, 10:54

I would be interested in how you would score this situation. While thru-hiking in 2000 three of us were remotely camping. There was a young woman who didn't have a tent. When it started to rain the other guy offered to share his tent. I already had Winter. All the next day we discussed whether that constituted a notch for his bed post or not...or a partial notch since nothing happened but sleep...but he did sleep with her. Then there is the issue of sleeping with women in shelters even when nothing happens. Ah, the weighty topics thrashed around on the trail. If it's "the sleeping with" then some serious notches could be accumulated.

rafe
06-17-2008, 10:54

I'll bet you win on speed. ;)

Odd Thomas
06-17-2008, 11:46
I'll bet you win on speed. ;)

lol!

Haven't even played in years. :eek:

rafe
06-17-2008, 12:48
lol!

Haven't even played in years. :eek:

Maybe solitaire... :rolleyes:

orangebug
06-17-2008, 13:53
"Sporting" is an old 19th century term for frequenting a "sporting house" or brothel.

I'm sort of surprised that the definition is still as high as #2.

woodsy
06-17-2008, 14:09
Sporting camps are still quite popular back in the Maine Woods. Probably why its still #2 on the definitions list:rolleyes:.

CrumbSnatcher
06-17-2008, 17:45
i never really considered hiking a sport either but if bowling is a sport then:-?

Wags
06-17-2008, 18:15
it is for some. i don't consider it to be

Dances with Mice
06-17-2008, 18:17
Let's see ... I almost lost my eye once and have gotten lots of black eyes and a couple gashes on my face and head but only one required stitches, sprained my wrist so bad that I needed a cast, collected numerous cuts on my hands and have gotten burned a few times, taken a couple of hard falls that made me see stars and, most painful of all, have split too many fingernails to count but that was all while juggling which, thank goodness, is considered an art and not a sport.

rafe
06-17-2008, 18:32
I can attest to skiing and snowboarding being a lot more dangerous than hiking. At least so far. Knock wood and all that.

minnesotasmith
06-17-2008, 21:46

I've found snowboarders to be 10-20% of the slope users at ski resorts, and >70% of the unsafe/discourteous behavior on the slopes.

My solutions:

1) Simply ban snowboard use by males between the ages of 11-35. That'd knock out 95% of the inappropriate behavior I've seen by snowboarders at ski resorts.

2) For safety, have snowboarders face ffully forward when on the slopes. Also, cut their snowboards in half lengthwise to make the ruts they cut shallower. (Poles similiar to trekking poles to help them stay up would be optional.) ;)