PDA

View Full Version : College Graduates Starting in May?

mts4602
06-15-2008, 19:25
I'm graduating at the end of April 09'. Thinking about starting the trail NB in May.

Anybody else planning to do the same thing? :)

MTS

Spoonie Love
06-15-2008, 23:27
i will be finishing up university exams in april next spring also.
since they don't post exam schedules until next february or march, i won't know my official kick-off date until then. but i will be ready regardless. it has been three years since i was hiking the trail. i am busy already getting all my gear together.

i hiked 670 miles last time. i started march 1st last time. i am looking forward to some warmer weather and greener vistas.

rebel460
06-28-2008, 11:38
If all goes well, I'm planning on taking a break from college, and looking to start around that time frame.

TRIP08
06-28-2008, 11:58
If all goes well, I'm planning on taking a break from college, and looking to start around that time frame.

I had wanted to walk NOBO; but, my spring semester ended so late, I decided to walk SOBO.

(Would have been graduating if the university hadn't screwed up my graduation audit and remaining hours.)

rebel460
06-29-2008, 15:30
I don't have any plans laid yet, was thinking NOBO just beacuse its gonna be my first trip, but really I'm open to going SOBO if I happen to find some trail partners that want to go that way.

Imayroam
07-02-2008, 08:14
I'll be graduating this December, so I'll be starting earlier. Probably about the 2nd week in March.

Ryan
07-03-2008, 12:54
My commencement ceremonies aren't until mid May, and I'm going to be part of my buddy's wedding ceremony in mid-late June, so I think I'm planning on heading sobo around July 1. Anybody done anything like this? From what I've read that shouldn't be too late, but I just get a little nervous thinking about still being on the trail into December/January.

Marta
07-03-2008, 13:04
My commencement ceremonies aren't until mid May, and I'm going to be part of my buddy's wedding ceremony in mid-late June, so I think I'm planning on heading sobo around July 1. Anybody done anything like this? From what I've read that shouldn't be too late, but I just get a little nervous thinking about still being on the trail into December/January.

You should be okay. In 2006, most of the 20-something SOBOs who started in early July were finished in late-November to mid-December. A few of us slowpokes managed to make the hike last a bit longer. ;)

Bare Bear
07-08-2008, 19:58
Do not forget to put your AT experience on your resume. As an employer I always felt it showed many good qualities.
Best of luck to all of the college age hikers, us old guys envy your youth. The AT was much easier when I was 19 than now. You may envy our smarts. :)

Ryan
07-09-2008, 11:50
You may envy our smarts. :)
What are you talking about? We already know everything, you old farts are just past your prime! :p

rafe
07-09-2008, 13:08
What are you talking about? We already know everything, you old farts are just past your prime! :p

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill, any day. ;)

mudhead
07-09-2008, 13:25

I remember when...

Cheech09
07-10-2008, 14:53
Hey! Ya im planning on taking a break as well. I am hoping to leave some time in february, march the latest heading NOBO. Anyone wants to join me that would be great! And if anyone wants to kinda help plan that would be even better!!

leeki pole
07-10-2008, 15:03
Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill, any day. ;)
Tell 'em, terrapin! You da man!:)

rebel460
07-13-2008, 17:30
Hey! Ya im planning on taking a break as well. I am hoping to leave some time in february, march the latest heading NOBO. Anyone wants to join me that would be great! And if anyone wants to kinda help plan that would be even better!!

Hey cheech....kinda sounds like we're on similar gameplans, two heads gotta be better than one....it's a long trip.

Bare Bear
07-20-2008, 16:07
Believe it when I tell you that your PLAN will last about a day on the AT then events will conspire to change everything. Bring a good attitude and everything else will follow. Take lots of pictures then take more. Take people pictures and write down immediately who they are or you will forget.

SectionHikerJamie
07-24-2008, 23:51
I caught the bug, and plan to start a thru hike around the same time! See you out there :)

TheOtherOne
07-31-2008, 14:18
yeah, I've been thinking about this for a while, I think I will do my first thru hike going NOBO next season. I did some section-hiking for a few weeks at a go when I was younger. I'll be finishing up at college around march april or early may so I'm hoping to get out there pending my exam schedule.

arbor
09-13-2008, 22:15
i am going to be graduating in May 09 and thinking of hiking the AT

At this time is it smarter to go NOBO or SOBO?

I would like to go NOBO if possible

If i hike around 19 miles a day I could be done by September I figure

Last summer i walked 1900 miles on the Way of St. James (Camino de Santiago) from Amsterdam, NL to Fisterra, Spain (85 days)

It was really fun and I can't wait to hike again

I've done the AT from the Vermont border to the middle of Maine about

Johnny Swank
09-14-2008, 08:45

I started on July 1, took waaaay too many zero days, and still managed to drag my carcass off Springer in January. You'll be fine, and miss the bulk of the black flies.

atromic
09-14-2008, 22:39
I'm graduating in December, taking a few months to save up money, and hitting the trail with my girlfriend in May if things work out.

Ryan
09-17-2008, 18:47
You should be okay. In 2006, most of the 20-something SOBOs who started in early July were finished in late-November to mid-December. A few of us slowpokes managed to make the hike last a bit longer. ;)

I started on July 1, took waaaay too many zero days, and still managed to drag my carcass off Springer in January. You'll be fine, and miss the bulk of the black flies.
Thanks guys, that's really encouraging and exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. July 1 it is!

bfitz
09-17-2008, 21:20
I'm graduating at the end of April 09'. Thinking about starting the trail NB in May.

MTSIf you're into it, you could start in, say, erwin and hike into Damascus during trail days with the main NOBO crowd. Meet and make friends and hike during the time period you will interact with the largest number of people, get to katahdin enjoying the NOBO-style hike you were talking about and avoid all the inconveniences of a SOBO hike (blackflies, weather, huge mountains right at the beginning before you get your legs, other SOBO's etc). Then you're headed south anyway... you can do Erwin to springer at that time, like during october/novemeber (much nicer weather than january!) you'll take advantage of the best possible weather, and social conditions available to you...and you can attend trail days as a hiker!

Bare Bear
09-24-2008, 09:01
Although I prefer going straight NOBO, what is wrong with doing a flip flop? Start at Harpers Ferry and go north to K, then go back to HF and go south to Springer. The only draw back is the lack of water in late summer/fall in NC=Ga.

mts4602
09-24-2008, 17:15
If you're into it, you could start in, say, erwin and hike into Damascus during trail days with the main NOBO crowd. Meet and make friends and hike during the time period you will interact with the largest number of people, get to katahdin enjoying the NOBO-style hike you were talking about and avoid all the inconveniences of a SOBO hike (blackflies, weather, huge mountains right at the beginning before you get your legs, other SOBO's etc). Then you're headed south anyway... you can do Erwin to springer at that time, like during october/novemeber (much nicer weather than january!) you'll take advantage of the best possible weather, and social conditions available to you...and you can attend trail days as a hiker!

Thats a really good idea. I was really considering going southbound, but I may just flip-flop instead.

bfitz
09-24-2008, 18:14
Thats a really good idea. I was really considering going southbound, but I may just flip-flop instead.
You'll have a much better time unless you're one of those types who actually prefers the more difficult terrain, solitude and cold weather. Other benefits include the fact that "trail angels" are more active during the NOBO season, you're more likely to encounter trail magic, free lodging and other types of assistance. All the social events and trail festivals are timed for the main NOBO crowd so you're more likely to be in the vicinity of feeds and the like as well as off-trail experiences like visits to tourist traps or summer music festivals etc.

2009ThruHiker
09-25-2008, 21:39

MTS

While.not.graduating.from.college,my.wife.and.i.pl an.on.heading.NB.at.the.same.time.See.you.on.the.h opefully.dusty.trail.

jmhouse
09-30-2008, 11:44
i'm not graduating college, but i'll be starting in late april/early may going northbound

Storminorman18
10-08-2008, 13:36
I also will be graduating next Spring. I probably wouldn't be available until after May. Defenitly, have been thinking about doing a thru-hike. I've already done all of GA, but would be willing to do it again :) If anyone has a group together already, feel free to let me know.

Storminorman18
10-08-2008, 13:39
hey. yeah. im thinking about doing the same thing, have yall already started to get a group together?

leprechaun
10-08-2008, 21:42
ill be finishing a semeter in collage and heading NOBO in May, trying to be back by mid august tho