PDA

View Full Version : Another question from a novice

Travis49
06-15-2008, 21:41
I've gotten a lot of help from this site so I just can't help coming back whenever there's a question. Anyway, I didn't see too much information on this one so I'm back at the forums =)

This one's about knives. What type of knife would be best to bring along for a month? I know it should be stainless steel, and preferably surgical stainless steal so that it keeps its blade, but should I go for a fixed blade or will a folder be perfectly fine? I do have to admit though, I really like fixed blades. It's more of an ego thing that anything but I think a big, fixed blade knife is pretty bad ass (think crocodile Dundee). Anyway, if a folder would do me better I'll put my ego aside.

Also, if you know any good online stores for wilderness knives could you kindly direct me to them? Also, anything extra that I might not have thought of if you have previous experience would be great.

Thanks to anyone who helps me out =)

Lone Wolf
06-15-2008, 21:43
go with the fixed blade

rafe
06-15-2008, 21:47
What do you expect to use your knife for? I've never carried anything larger than a Gerber LST (a tiny 2" folding knife.) But I carry the Gerber with me always...

attroll
06-15-2008, 21:50
It is all up to you. If you have the room and want to carry the weight then carry a Rambo style knife. If it is all about being macho then do what makes you feel macho. Personally I don't like to carry to much weight when it comes to a knife because a knife rarely gets using on my hiking trips if at all. I carry a leatherman micro and I think I have only used it once just to cut a hangnail.

Bob S
06-15-2008, 21:51
I always have my Swiss Army knife on me, I feel naked without it.

But if you are going to use a knife for food cutting or preparation, I would go with a fixed blade knife, it’s much easier to keep clean. You won’t have food getting into the bowels of the knife because a fixed blade doesn’t fold up. This is why almost all hunting knifes are fixed blades, it’s easy to keep it clean after they gut an animal.

I also carry a small folding knife with a locking blade, nothing like having a blade fold up on your fingers. A locking blade prevents this.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2008, 21:53
go with the fixed blade

like i said.....

minnesotasmith
06-15-2008, 22:04
A piece of thin nylon string with the following tied to it:

1) a Leatherman Micra

2) a SMALL pair of fingernail clippers

3) a Coleman tiny compass/thermometer combo (about 1" x 1.5") -- widely sold in Wal-Mart sporting goods departments in camping section

4) the key from a can of corned beef/sardines

All this fits in my closed hand. Put inside a small thick plastic bag like some clothing items come in.

Dances with Mice
06-15-2008, 22:24
go with the fixed blade Like he said.

Here's some that won't break your budget. The Classic Mora (http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm#Classic%20Mora%20Knife)is a superior knife, recommended by at least one survival school. You can pay a lot more and get a lot less. I bought one for trips overseas when a knife might be needed for serious food prep ... like starting with raw vegetables and a live chicken from the local market. My favorite is the Craftsman Carbon blade model. I didn't need it for chicken but it did open a coconut.

For the AT here's all you really need (http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-Handy-Little-4-Inch/dp/B0001UZMOI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t).

fiddlehead
06-15-2008, 22:28
Ginsu paring knife. If you can still find one.

Seeker
06-15-2008, 22:36
I know it should be stainless steel, and preferably surgical stainless steal so that it keeps its blade,

actually, stainless steel is softish, and doesn't hold an edge for long. it's used surgically for sanitary reasons. someone smarter than me will have to explain the details, but 440 high carbon steel is what you're looking for.

but should I go for a fixed blade or will a folder be perfectly fine? i've carried a folding pocketknife since i was about 4 or 5, and in the ensuing 40 years, have never once closed my fingers in it. other people are less fortunate or more clumsy...

think 'what do i want to do with my knife', then fit the knife to the task(s).

bigcranky
06-15-2008, 22:51
You'll find that every hiker carries something different. I started with big knives (former military) and worked my way down to this (http://tinyurl.com/yvh6ac). It's all I need on a long hike. Your mileage may vary, of course.

4eyedbuzzard
06-15-2008, 22:53
It's more of an ego thing that anything but I think a big, fixed blade knife is pretty bad ass (think crocodile Dundee). Anyway, if a folder would do me better I'll put my ego aside.

A knife the size Mick Dundee carried might also get you in some hot water with law enforcement in certain towns and jurisdictions. I'd limit any knife you carry to a blade length of 4" or under just to avoid possible problems.

Wags
06-15-2008, 23:27
go w/ a kbar

Panzer1
06-15-2008, 23:32
I carry a medium size swiss army knife and use it often.
(weight: 3.6 ounces)

I also carry a large white lexan table knife for making sandwiches, ect. And I use this often too.
(weight: half ounce)

Panzer
(NOTE: Other hikers carry large fixed blade knives to protect themselves from people like me. But I'm such a bad ass that I don't need one) :)

double d
06-16-2008, 00:12
Dude, your young (age states 18), so forget most of that wimping gear stuff and pack what you need into the handle of your rambo knife. If needed, make a spear with your bad assed fixed blade to fish with and/or to hollow out the guts of a razorback after a long day on the AT (believe me, I've seen thru hikers on the AT eat things that would make a billygoat puke!). Otherwise, as Big Cranky indicates above, go with a swiss army knife, pretty good brand if the large fixed blade loses your interest.

Odd Thomas
06-16-2008, 00:26
I have a (:eek: somewhere) small Ka-bar little finn, weighs 1.6oz and has a 3 5/8" fixed blade. Not quite as scary as the military issue Kabars :p

Lyle
06-16-2008, 00:29
Smallest leatherman with a scissors you can find. Fixed blade is way overkill.

I think mine is the micro or something like that. Has a 2" blade. I find the scissors MUCH more handy than the blade. Used to trim toenails (very important to avoid problems), much easier to cut moleskin/molefoam to fit. Those are the two most common uses for most hikers that I have seen. Still have a blade large enough to slice cheese or sausage, the other common use.

ScoutingFamily74
06-16-2008, 05:48
If you want a knife that will last you a life time you can't beat a Benchmade! (http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_list.aspx?category=28) They have any type of knife you could ever wish for!

jhick
06-16-2008, 07:46
My personal fav...
Gerber Big Rock serrated

http://www.cuttingedgeknives.com.au/images/product/small/120_239321396_4.gif

sharp, easy to grip, full tang

Pony
06-16-2008, 07:47
I carried a very small swiss army knife but it's a matter of preference. I hiked with a guy who carried a 12" blade and one guy who carried a full sized machette. The guy with the machette also carried a cricket bat and a 7pound rock that last I heard made it from Springer to Damascus.

deeddawg
06-16-2008, 08:34
Schrade Simon SS1. 1 ounce.

http://www.ebladestore.com/knives/SS1.html

MOWGLI
06-16-2008, 08:40
I carry only what I need to get the job done. Sometimes that's just cutting a slice of cheese, and sometimes that's cleaning a fish. The knife in a micro leatherman is usually sufficient for my needs. The most important accessory in that tool is the scissors. At least for me.

hopefulhiker
06-16-2008, 08:48
I hiked the whole trail with one of those miniature swiss army knives, with the scissors. Sometimes I carried a small plastic knife for spreading peanut butter.. It worked fine...

Red Hat
06-16-2008, 09:09
That's what I carry, Hopeful Hiker. The plane police took my first one since it was in my fannypack on the airplane to Atlanta. Had to get a new one in Atlanta to start my hike. I sure was dangerous with that thing! (forgot it was in my fannypack until they pulled me over and asked for it)

Gumbi
06-16-2008, 09:18
It depends on what other gear I will be taking. If I take my white gas stove, then I make sure that I have my leatherman wave with me in case I need repairs. I do like to take a fixed blade knife when I can, though. I have a Gerber Profile. It costs around $18 at Walmart, has a 4" blade. I would recommend against a serrated blade. The serrations only get in the way when I am whittling or carving, and they are difficult to sharpen. Besides, if you keep your knife sharp, it takes only slightly longer to cut through rope and webbing (which are the only things a serrated blade are good for). But that's just my opinion.

Travis49
06-16-2008, 09:28
Too many responses to reply to individually.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've looked at all of them.
Seems to me that it doesn't really matter what I bring since even the smallest knife will do the trick so I may let my ego get the best of me. Besides, I mostly have display knives and it would be nice to put one up that is functional as well. (I've always been a fan of knives and where they came from)

Dude, your young (age states 18), so forget most of that wimping gear stuff and pack what you need into the handle of your rambo knife. If needed, make a spear with your bad assed fixed blade to fish with and/or to hollow out the guts of a razorback after a long day on the AT (believe me, I've seen thru hikers on the AT eat things that would make a billygoat puke!). Otherwise, as Big Cranky indicates above, go with a swiss army knife, pretty good brand if the large fixed blade loses your interest.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

Mags
06-16-2008, 09:29
Carry the smallest knife that will perform the desired actions you need to do.

For me, it is a Swiss Army Knife classic. It is what works for me and my style of backpacking.

CherrypieScout
06-16-2008, 09:42
I carry a Juice 2, but I really use my $10 baby swiss army knife from WalMart. I like the scissors, tooth pick, and tweezers. The juice 2 has pliers that I use at times

double d
06-16-2008, 10:02
Travis 49, it was a little of both. A big fixed blade will just get in your way on the AT (unless of course, you need to kill a large razorback for food with a badass large fixed blade, that would be cool, just like in rambo), so use a well made swiss army knife that has the scissor function on it and your fine. The small cutting blade on the knife will do fine as well (your confused me too because I'm not sure what you meant by your "ego" getting in the way of using a large fixed blade or not, but then again, you never know when you might need a large fixed blade to lash it to your leki pole and spear fish on the Kennebec River for food).

senache
06-16-2008, 12:18
I carry two - a "camp knife" that is a four inch fixed blade and a Swiss Army knife. It's rare that I don't also pack a multitool of some sort too.

Wags
06-16-2008, 15:27
get the rambo knife. don't be a girl

Locutus
06-17-2008, 16:56
I carry a multitool. Pliers have come in handy.

liveforthis
06-17-2008, 17:00
I have a gerber lmf2 and it is frikin awesome!! Its heavy to most standards here but it can withstand anything and can but used for so many things.

Slo-go'en
06-17-2008, 18:44
A good knife is indespensable. I carry a small pocket knife (2" blade) for when I need a sharp edge and a plastic knife for getting the last bit of peanut butter out of the jar.

I've lost more knives than I can count, so I only get cheap ones now :-)

WalkingStick75
06-18-2008, 13:54
kbar for cutting my cheese, machette for ??? just because :)

Truthfully never needed more then my swiss army knife on the AT but use to carry a 2.5" Case fixed blade until I lost it in New Hampshire someplace.

Time To Fly 97
06-18-2008, 15:08
Swiss Victorianox - small and light.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Captain
06-19-2008, 04:53
like i said.....

Like he said, I rather love fixed blades because they are so rugged and durable, a folder just gives more opportunities for moving parts to break and they often hurt your hand ( mine at least) when trying to widdle not saying go with a full on bowie but a nice maybe 4-5 inch fixed blade with a full tang handle is a dream just think...what would bear gryles ( and lone wolf ) do?

Gumbi
06-19-2008, 08:25
just think...what would bear gryles ( and lone wolf ) do?

Bear would show you how to cut it with nothing more than a water bottle and your teeth:eek:.

jhick
06-19-2008, 08:34
Bear would show you how to cut it with nothing more than a water bottle and your teeth:eek:.

no..... Bear carries a full tang knife.

http://www.bayleyknife.com/images/bear_01_sm.jpg

Gumbi
06-19-2008, 08:47
I know! I was just joking! :)

Bare Bear
06-19-2008, 08:56
Patrick from Indiana carried a 1.6 pound fixed blade with a leather sheath all the way to Neels Gap before he wised up.
Weight is everything.