PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 2 Month Hike - Expectations?

freidame
06-16-2008, 01:14
Hi!

I'm planning a 2 month hike on the AT with 2 friends this summer. I'm a 20 year old (will be turning 21 on the trail) female and in shape, but not as much as I would like. I'm going with two guys who are pretty much in the same boat as me. I'm in this because I want a challenge different than any you can get in school or at work. I want a true challenge that will give me life experiences and truely push me to my limits. My grandfather did a thruhike many years ago and I know my father has always wanted to, so I'm not going to let this opportunity slip through my hands. Last year was a rough year with too many deaths of family and friends, so I've started to realize that life is too short. This year I decided I want to hike as much of the AT that I have time for and that's exactly what I'm going to do. I know it's going to hurt and be incredibly tough, but, in some twisted way, I'm excited for it! :o

As far as my question goes, we want to get to Katahdin (I really want to do the wilderness section), but have no idea where to start because we have no idea how many miles to expect per day. Any ideas for where we should start? I don't want to be too rushed, but I also want to see as much of the AT as possible. I know that there is no way to really know how many miles per day we will get to, but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hope to see you out there!

P.S. All of you that dutifully respond to posts are amazing. I've learned more from these forums than any books I've come across. Thank you!

Yahtzee
06-16-2008, 02:16
I'd suggest starting at the Mass/Vt. state line. It's around 590 miles. That's around 10 miles a day. You can do more than that in VT and in the 100 mile wilderness but about that in NH and Southern Maine. That would allow you to get your trail legs under you in VT before you hit the Whites.

Plus it leaves the option, if you finish a bit earlier, of heading back to VT and finishing the Long Trail.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

fiddlehead
06-16-2008, 03:08
That's good advice from Yahtzee as I believe you would have more enjoyment by finishing at the big K instead of starting out with the 100 mile wilderness (which starts one day after Katahdin if you did a SOBO) Vt is much more gentle and a better place to start. Logistics are easier too.

The only problem is that you will have (afterwards) finished the best part of the AT and the rest may pale in comparison. (well maybe not the "only" problem. YOu still have to climb the Whites to get it done and that is some steep trail in those mountains)

4eyedbuzzard
06-16-2008, 09:04
When you say you're a newbie, how much prior hiking experience do you(and your friends) have? Weekend trips? Week long or two week sections? Two months is a long time to be out on the trail. Don't be too surprised if someone in your group decides that hiking every day for two months is just not for them. Not saying that it WILL happen - just be prepared for the possibility should it occur.

VT to Katahdin will have the nicest hiking conditions in the summer of anywhere on the AT(extreme heat and water supply shouldn't be anywhere near the problem it is some other places). NH and western ME is also undoubtably the most physically demanding stretch of the AT(just plain old tall and steep and rocky), though at your age this shouldn't be as much of a problem as it sometimes is for "more seasoned" folks. 60 days from VT to K like Yahtzee suggested would probably be a good plan to start with.