PDA

View Full Version : Drop Box Suggestoins-- Springer to Hot Springs

Bruce Hudson
06-16-2008, 09:33
Thurs. I'm off to Amicalola Falls with the intention of hiking to Hot Springs. Previous experience was last year getting from Hot Springs to Atkins. However, I'm told that Georgia is going to be much slower going then what I experienced last summer. So I thought I would check for suggestions as to where I might mail re-supply boxes.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Hudson

max patch
06-16-2008, 09:44
Unless you have special circumstances, the ONLY place I'd use a mail drop would be Fontana Dan. And even there that would be my second choice; preferably I'd have a reservation at the Hike Inn and use their shuttle to town.

Easier to resupply at grocery stores; even if you have a mail drop you'll still end up going to the grocery for something.

max patch
06-16-2008, 10:52
Here is a link to Baltimore Jack's suggestions on where to resupply for your section:

http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1

Roots
06-16-2008, 10:58
I did Springer to Newfound Gap in April. I eat certain foods when hiking so I did have a few mail drops--Neels Gap & NOC, and my husband brought me a box at Fontana. If you can eat just anything, I would suggest what Max Patch said. You can pretty much resupply anywhere in that section. Fontana has enough for resupply, BUT they are expensive on some of their items.

Bruce Hudson
06-16-2008, 16:08
How many days food would you carry out of Springer?

Lone Wolf
06-16-2008, 16:13
How many days food would you carry out of Springer?

4 days. it's 38 miles

10-K
06-16-2008, 18:07
It all depends on your hiking speed. If I were hiking that in one section I wouldn't do a maildrop knowing what I know now. When I hiked from Springer to Fontana last month I sent a drop to NOC and wished that I hadn't.

Springer - Neel's Gap - 30 miles (resupply at Neel's)
Neel's Gap - Hiawassee - 36.8 miles (easy hitch into town)
Hiawassee - Franklin/US64 - 40.1 miles (even easier hitch)
Franklin - NOC - 27.3 miles (Big cheeseburger and small resupply)
NOC - Fontana Dam - 29.4 miles (stay at Hike Inn, resupply in Robbinsville)
Fontana Dam - Davenport Gap - 70.7 miles - Hitch to Gatlinburg about 35 miles in if you must, otherwise Standing Bear Hostel when you get to Davenport Gap
Davenport Gap - Hot Springs - 36.7 miles and you're home

That's just one way to do it - there are several other alternatives equally as good.

FWIW, I think that the section between Hot Springs and Damascus (doing the Damascus - Atkins section tomorrow BTW....) is much more difficult than the section between Springer and Fontana. I thought the Smokies were tough in places but the difficulty of the first 160 miles or so of the trail is overrated in my book.

Hope you have a good hike.

Bruce Hudson
06-16-2008, 19:10
10-K, now that's specific info. I won't do any drops-- i'm convinced. But I will be taking your list with me.

Bruce

max patch
06-16-2008, 19:39
Remember, Hike Inn accommodates a fixed number of people. Make a reservation when you get to NOC (or sooner, if you are confident about your pace.)

10-K
06-16-2008, 19:51
Remember, Hike Inn accommodates a fixed number of people. Make a reservation when you get to NOC (or sooner, if you are confident about your pace.)

For sure... During thru-hiker season they want you to call as you're leaving NOC. FWIW, Verzion was pretty good all the way to Fontana but from NOC to Fontana Dam I only had service a few times so if you've got Verizon and are going to call I'd suggest doing it before leaving NOC and not after.

Anyway, I'd go so far as to call them before I even left for Springer and just let them know you're headed that way and see what Jeff or Nancy has to say. It's probably all good but it's a detail worth some due diligence on. At some time (and if I remember correctly it's very soon) they go to reservation only and it couldn't hurt to just to make sure that staying there is going to be a viable option.

I guess if that fell through Plan B would be to call Fontana Village from the phone at the marina at Fontana Dam (free call, just punch in a number) and have them pick you up but I've never been there and don't know what the resupply situation is.

10-K
06-16-2008, 20:15
10-K, now that's specific info. I won't do any drops-- i'm convinced. But I will be taking your list with me.

Bruce

If you feel like a break and want to spend 2 nights in town, when you get to Franklin find Ron Haven's shuttle driver and get him to drop you off at Wayah Bald and slackpack back to town. It's 10-11 miles, almost all downhill. Next morning, get a ride back to Wayah Bald and keep going.

And while you're in Franklin if you like milkshakes, you've *got* to go to Peppermint Patties. They make chocolate shakes but mixing handscooped vanilla ice cream with hot-fudge and load it up with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Awesome!