PDA

View Full Version : watches

Wags
06-16-2008, 10:21
looking for a new watch for hiking. got recommendations?

-don't need anything super fancy.
-i hate having things on my hands and will probably switch this from my wrist to attached to my pack from time to time
-want one that batteries last a LONG time
-light/small profile
-would like one w/ an alarm and backlight so i can actually see it at night
-waterproof at least a few meters
-durable. i tend to be rough with anything not inside my pack

thanks

4eyedbuzzard
06-16-2008, 10:25
Timex Expedition models are decent and reasonably cheap. Some have built in compass function as well.

Doughnut
06-16-2008, 10:25
Casio Illuminator Forester. Nylon band, about 20 bucks at walmart. NO alarm, but the backlight is GREAT for findind thinkgs at night.

I had a Timex Indiglo, but when my hand flexed the backlight illuminated and it ate batteries.

DoughNut

Mags
06-16-2008, 10:40
Timex Expedition models are decent and reasonably cheap. Some have built in compass function as well.

Look closely at the photo..I still use the same watch...with the same battery! (It is on my wrist as I type) A Target special for ~$25 (in 2006) IIRC. I find a watch is a valuable navigation aid (dead reckoning) No alarm though. Perhaps they make a model with an alarm? It is a rugged watch as I've worn it almost everyday for everything from a CDT thru-hike to local hikes to skiing. Takes a lickin'...keeps on tickin'!

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14207&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9b7269e0127675108ae6001d1d0952b4

NICKTHEGREEK
06-16-2008, 10:54
Timex expedition with indiglo dial. About 2 years battery life depending on how often you use the alarm (hourly, daily, never) and the dial light. Really cheap if you look at campmor and other discount stores. Be careful w/ timex the crown can snag on a tight shirt cuff and pull out, stopping the watch.
http://www.timex.com/gp/product/B0000TIJ4U/sr=1-2/qid=1213627950/ref=sr_1_2/103-0073832-1611058?ie=UTF8&m=A1S5XB33AHYRMX&n=APS&timexBrand=core

4eyedbuzzard
06-16-2008, 11:05
I've got a digital model Indiglo (Timex # 41621) with the built in electronic compass, alarm, etc. Still on the original set of batteries after 2 years. Probably a little big for some. Big readout is a plus - I can read it at night with glasses off.

Mostly, it tells the time...

Red Hat
06-16-2008, 11:09
yeah, what they said... Timex in outdoor green... (clashes with my purple and red...)

max patch
06-16-2008, 11:09
I've worn Timex Ironmans for years.

I tie a piece of cord from the top of my tent with a loop that is suspended just over my head. At night I hang the watch there. That is the only way I can hear the alarm.

Appalachian Tater
06-16-2008, 12:49
I use an old Swatch without a band for hiking. I took a hot needle and melted the holes where the band attaches to increase the size of the holes to run a piece of guyline through to make a loop to attach it to things. Waterproof, glows in the dark, battery lasts years, can be replaced using a dime to open the case, with a battery from any drugstore.

double d
06-16-2008, 13:44
Timex Ironman is always a great watch. I've never had any problems with them, and you can pick one up at Target for a low price, you can even buy a small compass and attach it to your Timex Ironman.

Corporal_Dusty
06-16-2008, 14:28
I agree, Timex Ironman. I had one for years. Right now I have a Casio Forester. Cheap - $20-$25, backlight, decent sized numbers, water resistant to 100m and takes a beating, but no alarm. Wanted something cheap for work, that I wouldn't care if it got wrecked (I do construction). So far for a year of getting water, paint, sheetrock dust and everything else thrown at it, it's still working great. But, while I like my Forester, I'd go back to an Ironman in a heartbeat.

Wags
06-16-2008, 15:25
cool i have a target close by. i'll see what they have in stock. thanks all

Summit
06-16-2008, 15:49
looking for a new watch for hiking. got recommendations?Mine's built into my cell phone/camera/eReader/Bible/Watch/Alarm clock/Weather updates/E-mail/Txt Mssg 7 oz. device, a Verizon Wireless xv6800! :) But waterproof it isn't! :eek:

Wags
06-16-2008, 16:36
i prefer to leave my phone off unless someone is dying. don't wanna be walking through the woods and get a business call. i'd be pissed

Critterman
06-16-2008, 17:01
Casio f-105. Has illumination, alarm. Very cheap at Walmart, about $12. Battery will last years.

Spock
06-16-2008, 20:43
I agree with what sounds like the concensus here, a cheap Timex or equivalent, waterproof, illuminated, digital, with day/date and alarm. Mine has lasted 2 thruhikes and lots of trail building/maintenance. I may have it bronzed.

Hoop
06-16-2008, 20:49
Timex Expedition is a good buy for the money.

TJ aka Teej
06-16-2008, 21:33
Please read the instructions and know how to shut the #&$#&#& alarm/beep thing off when you sleep in leantos.

/rant

;)

JAK
06-17-2008, 08:05
I wish I had my old wind up watch.

Rockhound
06-17-2008, 08:12

-i hate having things on my hands and will probably switch this from my wrist to attached to my pack from time to time
-light/small profile

thanks
how about a compass, the sun and the stars?

Wags
06-17-2008, 09:12
that's what i usually use. just thinking about upgrading

Mags
06-17-2008, 10:33
how about a compass, the sun and the stars?

Hearts, Stars, and Horseshoes, Clovers, and Blue Moons! Pots of Gold and Rainbows, and me Red Balloons!

Weldman
06-17-2008, 12:01
I too, have a Timex Expedition purchased last yr at Campmor. Has the following features: Temp, barometer and Altimeter- actually which works if preset to a known altitude before your trip. As for a digital watch compass, I would rely more on a real compass (no electronic failures).

warraghiyagey
06-17-2008, 14:51
walmart

4eyedbuzzard
06-17-2008, 15:47
Hearts, Stars, and Horseshoes, Clovers, and Blue Moons! Pots of Gold and Rainbows, and me Red Balloons!

Suddenly, I'm gettng a hankerin' for Lucky Charms cereal.

Footslogger
06-17-2008, 15:49
Curious if many hikers actually WEAR watches. Personally I can't stand any thing on my wrists when I'm hiking ...espcecially a distance hike in hot/humid weather. I think that's why they invented sternum straps ...

'Slogger

envirodiver
06-17-2008, 15:50
walmart

My favorite trail watch was a $10 watch from Walmart. Had BIG numbers so I didn't need reading glasses. A light function that worked well and a stopwatch function for cooking. Everything I needed and it lasted for about 4-5 years.

Mags
06-17-2008, 15:53
Curious if many hikers actually WEAR watches.

I do. Find a watch useful for dead reckoning. I also like the funky tan line... :)

Mags
06-17-2008, 15:55
Suddenly, I'm gettng a hankerin' for Lucky Charms cereal.

Apparently they did away with the pot of gold and now have hourglasses. Leprechauns w/o pots of gold..and hour glasses ?!?! They must be Leprechauns who also double as CPAs.

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=67576

Summit
06-17-2008, 16:22
i prefer to leave my phone off unless someone is dying. don't wanna be walking through the woods and get a business call. i'd be pissedI agree! I only turn the phone on to make a call away from other people. Then I turn it off. My wife knows she can't call me but I'll call her. I LOVE the little text message love notes she sends that pop up as soon as I turn the phone on! :)

I also can't stand a sweaty wrist watch on my arm while hiking. In olden days when I did carry one, it was always in a handy pack pocket. I don't need or care to know the time any more often than I'm willing to pull out and turn on my windows mobile device.

Wags
06-17-2008, 18:18
like some mentioned, i'd never wear it. so i'll likely cut off the armband and create a little lanyard type thing out of parachord. then simply attach it to my pack or from the gear loft overnight

LIhikers
06-17-2008, 21:24
At my local hardware store, on the counter, there was a bin of $4 watches. All digital with a lighted dial, that tells you the day of the week, date, time and an alarm. It's all plastic and has a velcro band. Plus it's very light weight :).....lol

Kilo1
06-19-2008, 16:08
I have a Suunto Vector, works perfectly and has been through some fairly extreme conditions (such as VERY cold weather), and it has managed just fine where other watches has not been able to cope.. such as pressed in buttons rendering the watch unusable, cracks in the display glass etc. AND the watch has usable functions such as compass, barometer, altimeter, chronograph functions etc. Such functions might not be required but its always fun to see how many meters you just climbed etc

dessertrat
06-19-2008, 17:57

-light/small profile

thanks

I bought one that fits that description for eight dollars at Walmart.

Incahiker
06-19-2008, 21:23
Get a Timex expedition. I love it. It has 3 alarms, chrono, etc... is extremly light, and is very comfy. I just got the basic version at walmart for $30, works great.

Geo.
07-19-2008, 19:21
Interesting to note that no one seems to have mentioned a preference for analog over digital or vice versa. I have an analog watch as I find digitals frustrating - a quick glance at an analog and the 'hands' are immediately visible, giving a good visual picture of the time. I find I have to study a digital to get the actual time and then do a mental calculation to relate to 'time to go' or 'time passed'. I know that only takes seconds, but all that just seems instant with an analog without even consciously thinking.
(Maybe I'm just mathematically challenged!) ;)

BTW I've worn a Seiko divers watch for years - no problem with river crossings, kayaking, swimming, rain, dampness or falls!

Mags
07-20-2008, 16:27
Interesting to note that no one seems to have mentioned a preference for analog over digital or vice versa.!

I personally hate digital watches. Prefer the KISS principle for watches. The biggest feature of my watch is that it tells the time. :) Aesthetically, I really prefer analog watches too.

In this town everyone seems to wear a watch that gives your heart rate, pulse rate, elevation (and probably does the bloody run for you if you pay enough money) and wanting to look like an athlete, I prefer a simple analog watch. Iconoclastic on purpose I suppose... :)

Fiddleback
07-24-2008, 10:51

-light/small profile

thanks

I've mentioned this one before...the one I'm wearing, and wear on the trail, is an Aquatech. There are several models and, frankly, I don't know which one I have, but they all pretty much have the same features and differ mainly in appearance.

- digital
- day of the week display
- 12 hour/24 hour option
- date
- alarm plus hour tone option
- stop watch
- back light
- water resistant to 165'

Darn near indestructible although, in my experience, the watchband will wear out in a couple years. I've put an old metal watchband on while I wait for the two-year old+ battery to expire. At that time I'll probably pick up another, new AquaTech. But if I want to save some money, the battery runs about $2.

Around $7 at WalMart.:)

FB

Gumbi
07-24-2008, 11:19
another vote for the Timex Expedition. My first one had an alarm. It still works even though I bought it 3 years ago and haven't replaced the batteries. Had to buy a new one because I couldn't find a replacement band for it. I like the analog watches, but I want one with a decent alarm; is this too much to ask for?

Old Grouse
07-24-2008, 11:54
Another vote for Timex Expedition watches, with this caveat: I first had a digital model w/ alarm, etc. The alarm froze "on" and buzzed continually until the battery died. It's still buried in my sock drawer. I bought an analog version at Campmor for $25 +/-. Tells time & date, glows and has the backlight. KISS is the way to go.

Nearly Normal
07-24-2008, 16:09
I did away with mine. What day it is works for now.