PDA

View Full Version : July 15 starting at Springer

Doug Harrison
06-16-2008, 16:37
My name is Doug. I’m 18 and athletic.
I’ve never done anything longer than day hikes before and I want to do some of the AT next month. 4-5 days hiking starting on July 15 at Springer Mountain in Georgia.
I would rather not hike alone but none of my family or friends can keep up with a 20-25 mile per day pace that I plan to do. Anyone interested in hiking around that time please reply.

max patch
06-16-2008, 17:41
25 mpd is pretty aggressive for someone who hasn't backpacked with weight before.

Have a back up plan -- either more days or an alternate end point if that isn't possible -- just in case.

whitefoot_hp
06-17-2008, 15:16
i am a maybe at this point. if your like me, your 20-25 days will turn into 16-17.

napster
06-17-2008, 15:53
Wear sum ankle high boots and take sumthing ABOVE Ib and Tylonol cuz its kinda rocky and them be sum high miles. Go For It !
N.......

minnesotasmith
06-17-2008, 16:19
My name is Doug. I’m 18 and athletic.
I’ve never done anything longer than day hikes before and I want to do some of the AT next month. 4-5 days hiking starting on July 15 at Springer Mountain in Georgia.
I would rather not hike alone but none of my family or friends can keep up with a 20-25 mile per day pace that I plan to do. Anyone interested in hiking around that time please reply.

You're going to roast in the day, sweat at night, and get eaten alive by bugs the whole time. Anywhere in mid-June to late September is really not that great of a time to hike the AT in GA IMO. (I know, I've done it.)

Oh, and if your experience ends up being like mine, practically the only other hikers you'll see them will be dayhikers, and Boy Scout troops from up North who have no understanding of the climate in Georgia. ;)

Hoop
06-17-2008, 22:25
I'm starting from Springer on the 12th to hike the GA section. Say hello when you pass me.

CVANN
06-18-2008, 14:45
Pretty stout plan best of luck. let us know how it turns out

HeartoftheTrail
06-19-2008, 15:14
I'll be at springer on July 1st and will be doing the AT until the 30th, so I might see you.

notorius tic
06-19-2008, 15:29
Tell me how it goes I live just around the corner BRO.. Dont burn out to fast an take DEAT.. Water should be good as you watch the weather as all the AT hikers due GOOD LUCK AN HIKE SAFE..Peace email [email protected]

notorius tic
06-19-2008, 15:38
PS when you get back me an a couple of my buddies take weekend trips in Ocala an on the Florida trail keep in touch..Good to have a couple more Flatlanders that like getting away from the concreate junggle..

clemsonpeirce
06-21-2008, 19:04
My son is 17 (almost 18) and is looking for someone to hike 4-5 days in SW Va. in mid July. This is a much cooler (temperature-wise) place to hike than Ga. He's athletic as well--top xc runner etc.. I live both in Atlanta and Clemson--I could drive both of you to Va. Are you absolutely fixed on Springer Mt.? btw, you'll be lucky to do 15 miles/day I think. We've researched some nice stretches of 75-100 miles in the Jefferson NF.