PDA

View Full Version : Help on a 2 to 3 night hike

liveforthis
06-16-2008, 20:07
Hi,

I just joined and need some advice on a location to hike. I am in Florida and looking to hike in either georgia or the carolina's maybe even virgina but would prefer staying closer to home. I want to do a 2 to 3 night hike that has few crowds, nice scenery and a little challenging. I'm not hiking in florida cause of the heat so if you could help me out that would be great. I was looking at doing Blood mountain in Ga but it looks like a 1 nighter.

thanks,Matt

Slo-go'en
06-16-2008, 20:33
If you want don't want to hike in the heat AND stay close to home, you'll have to wait until the fall or next spring to go hiking. This time of year (summer) you can have one or the other, but not both!

Egads
06-16-2008, 20:49
Let me suggest hiking some or all of the AT or BMT in GSMNP. The AT is higher in elevation than most of the BMT.

I don't know your fitness level, but a Floridian who is not out hiking often would probably manage half the park in 3-4 days.

Tennessee Viking
06-16-2008, 20:52
Its going to be quite hot and humid in those areas at the moment. We are getting scattered thunderstorms VA down to GA.

But look at doing something in Sams Gap to Dennis Cove area around TN/NC. Some of the most fanastic of the southern balds. Big Bald, Roan, & Unaka are pretty good climbs and drops, and lots of rock. Definitely a good challenge.

In Virginia, you might want to look at the Mt Rogers area. Graysons and Whitetop. They have great scenary, on trail wildlife (if you count horses and cows), and tons of sidetrails and loops.

Another consideration, if you want a challenge, no crowds, more camping opportunities, and more challenges, is the BMT. It is very remote in parts starting around the Cohuttas/The Frogs.

Bulldawg
06-16-2008, 21:00
It would be hot, but Unicoi Gap, GA to Deep Gap, NC would be a really nice 3 day, maybe 4 day for me, section with super views.

liveforthis
06-16-2008, 22:55
well heat is fine its the florida humidty that is terrible. I did alot of the smokey mountains day hikes last year at this time and it was great. I'm pretty fit and so is my wife this is her first overnight hike though, she did fine in the smokies.

liveforthis
06-16-2008, 23:09
It would be hot, but Unicoi Gap, GA to Deep Gap, NC would be a really nice 3 day, maybe 4 day for me, section with super views.

is it a strenuous hike and how long is it? whatever details would be great.

Nicksaari
06-16-2008, 23:12
Grayson Highlands/mt Rodgers. 5000ft+ elevation. 10-15 degrees cooler always. a considerable difference

Earl Grey
06-16-2008, 23:21
Shining Rock Wilderness. Above 6000 feet most of the time and it is NICCCCCCE.

liveforthis
06-16-2008, 23:30
IS BMT a 2 night hike? it seemed short in distance. Is it a nice secluded, nice veiws and all that good stuff?

Bulldawg
06-17-2008, 07:18
is it a strenuous hike and how long is it? whatever details would be great.
I'd rate Unicoi Gap to Deep Gap as moderate to sometimes strenuous. What guys, 5 peaks over 4000 on this stretch, maybe 6? Right at 30 miles, maybe even a little over. Nice hike though.

bigmac_in
06-17-2008, 08:25
I'd rate Unicoi Gap to Deep Gap as moderate to sometimes strenuous. What guys, 5 peaks over 4000 on this stretch, maybe 6? Right at 30 miles, maybe even a little over. Nice hike though.

Hiking this section beginning tomorrow myself. We'll take our time, planning on 4 days, may only take 3. But we're out to enjoy the trail, not set any records.

Homer&Marje
06-17-2008, 08:47
Very nice 3-4 day in Va. just did it in early march take off at Big Meadows off of Skyline drive, do Dark Hollow Falls Trail to Rose River falls Trail to the AT and you will get back to Big Meadows in like 3 days, awesome views shouldn't be too too hot

Mercy
06-17-2008, 12:42
You could pick from a lot of sections on the Foothill Trail.

State Parks on either end make for an easy spot to camp after driving from FL, to start out fresh the next day.

A lot of good camping spots along the Chatooga.

liveforthis
06-17-2008, 16:46
I'm really having trouble getting a location i have been calling different park services but amazingly none have been any help.......I was thinking of maybe going to mt rodgers but i can't find an address to map quest it. If anyone could give me a detailed 3 to 4 day hike that is moderate to streneuos that isn't crowded that would be great. Right now i'll take just about any state that is in the southeast besides florida.

Hoop
06-17-2008, 22:16
You could park at Amicalola Falls State Park then hike to Neel Gap (8 mi approach to AT, then 30 mi. to NG). Most likely other bipeds will be around no matter where you go in summenr.

Bulldawg
06-17-2008, 22:47
Hey, email me from here if you want details on the Unicoi to Deep Gap hike. I think this would be a great hike for you. And if you are like me, strapped for gas money (I never thought I'd say that), closer than some of the hikes others have suggested.

Summit
06-17-2008, 23:31
Shining Rock Wilderness. Above 6000 feet most of the time and it is NICCCCCCE.I love and am a real fan of Shining Rock Wilderness, but for newbie overnight backpackers I wouldn't recommend it. The trails are not well graded (very primitive foot path) like most of the AT and while the elevations are great, the balds would present a lot of sun exposure and, I think, be pretty hot this time of year.

I'd suggest the Standing Indian Mountain area. There are a number of threads detailing how to get to the backcountry parking area just past Standing Indian Campground (about 15 mi. W of Franklin, NC). From this trailhead there are a number of loop opportunities that eliminate the transportation hassles of doing the typical AT section hikes. You could do the Long Branch Trail out of the parking area up to Glassmine Gap where you hit the AT > Go right on the AT over Albert Mt. > Standing Indian Mt. > down to Deep Gap > Kimsey Creek blue blaze trail back down to Standing Indian Campground and your vehicle. This loop is 24-26 miles approx. and offers outstanding vistas on the aforementioned Mts and some nice streams and campsites in between.

liveforthis
06-18-2008, 01:21
whoa wait i'm from florida! heat and humidy here is insane. i'm used to 93 heat with 90% humidty! you got a 3 night hike for please tell me all!

Summit
06-18-2008, 07:02
I was born and raised in Tallahassee . . . I know! :-?

What else do you need. You should be able to "Google Maps" directions to Franklin, NC. From there go W on US 64 up over Winding Stair Gap. When you start the down grade, take your first left (Old US 64 / Old Murphy Rd). Go about three miles and on the right you'll see (and take) Standing Indian Campground sign. At the "Y" fork, take the left (don't enter campground). In 3-4 hundred yards the paved road will become gravel. On the right is the backcountry parking. Across the road is the Long Branch Trail. It's two miles up it to Glassmine Gap and the AT. Get yourself AT Guide for GA/NC. Stay on AT until Deep Gap and then take the blue blazed Kimsey Creek Trail (4.5 mi.) down to Standing Indian Campground and trail continues on to the backcountry parking area.

This particular section has been talked about extensively here on WB. Do advanced search on "Standing Indian" and read so I don't have to repeat what's already there.

Christus Cowboy
06-18-2008, 08:51
Hi,

I just joined and need some advice on a location to hike. I am in Florida and looking to hike in either georgia or the carolina's maybe even virgina but would prefer staying closer to home. I want to do a 2 to 3 night hike that has few crowds, nice scenery and a little challenging. I'm not hiking in florida cause of the heat so if you could help me out that would be great. I was looking at doing Blood mountain in Ga but it looks like a 1 nighter.

thanks,Matt
If you are looking for nice hike you can do in a couple of days taking a leisurely pace, I would recommend hiking the Ridge Trail in Cumberland Gap, VA. It's about 23 miles good campsites with bear cables with some good sights along the way. There's even a turn of the century settlement (Hensley's Settlement) complete with old primative buildings, etc. The trail is well maintained, the weather generally moderate, and the trail traffic is very light.

liveforthis
06-18-2008, 12:22
awesome thanks for your help