PDA

View Full Version : Ursack S20 vs V27

Monkeywrench
06-16-2008, 20:15
Other than half an ounce one way and fifteen dollars the other way, what's the difference between these?

Darwin again
06-17-2008, 23:14
One is even more useless than the other? :rolleyes:

But seriously.
I still have one that I HAVE NEVER USED.
Nice green kevlar...

Monkeywrench
06-18-2008, 08:25
One is even more useless than the other? :rolleyes:

But seriously.
I still have one that I HAVE NEVER USED.
Nice green kevlar...

Okay. So why do you consider it useless, and why have you never used it?

Darwin again
06-18-2008, 10:57
No need on the AT, IMO.
I use a silnylon food bag and hang it up when there are cables to hang from and I box it when there are boxes to put it in. I also carry 50 feet of lightweight cord for hanging it up HIGH when the circumstances and location make me feel that would be wise, for instance when there are bear-scratched trees nearby or other evidence or reports of bear activity. Like in New Jersey.

Kevlar is heavy and overkill, but it'll work too. Too heavy.

minnesotasmith
06-18-2008, 11:20
Low Gap shelter, Georgia, 2005. At ~0200, caught a flying squirrel in the act of raiding my bear-cable-hung food bag. Sucker got into five different food items.

Hanging food doesn't always prevent varmints from getting into a hiker's food. If I'd had my Ursack then, I wouldn't have lost any food that time.

Foyt20
06-18-2008, 11:39
Go to walmart and get a pack of 3 silnylon stuff sacks. They have them in the camping area. They are water proof and close at the top in a loop which makes bearbaging easy. Keeps food dry, and are all bright colors so you can see it in a tree in the morning.

Light and Cheap.

MOWGLI
06-18-2008, 12:08
Okay. So why do you consider it useless, and why have you never used it?

There are trails where an Ursack makes more sense. The JMT is one of them. On that trail, you are required t carry a cannister or an ursack. http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/index.htm

Skidsteer
06-18-2008, 18:21
Go to walmart and get a pack of 3 silnylon stuff sacks. They have them in the camping area. They are water proof and close at the top in a loop which makes bearbaging easy. Keeps food dry, and are all bright colors so you can see it in a tree in the morning.

Light and Cheap.

I like them too but they're not sil-nylon. They are polyurethane coated ripstop nylon so far as I can tell.

take-a-knee
06-26-2008, 00:44
I like them too but they're not sil-nylon. They are polyurethane coated ripstop nylon so far as I can tell.

Whatever they are they are waterproof 'cause I bought one and filled it with water and it didn't leak.

4eyedbuzzard
06-26-2008, 00:55
They make good water carriers once in camp as well.

Bearpaw88
06-26-2008, 01:04
Not needed on the AT (even though there are some vermin and mammal thefts) There are defiantly places you do need them out west, but many parks that require a bear proof canister but will not let you substitute an Ursak.

Kerosene
06-26-2008, 11:02
There are trails where an Ursack makes more sense. The JMT is one of them. On that trail, you are required t carry a cannister or an ursack. http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/index.htm In skimming this site, I did not see any mention of the Ursack, beyond a vague statement that containers passing visual approval and a zoo test may be given conditional approval.

Monkeywrench
06-26-2008, 11:22
These are all interesting comments, but does anybody know the answer to my original question?

Foyt20
06-26-2008, 11:29
I dont think that there is a large use of them on this site, so there is not much information that can be given. That is why people are giving you other suggestions for food bags.

Nearly Normal
06-26-2008, 17:25
Both are overkill for the AT.
If you are concerned with the varmit problem, get one.
Get the larger.
It's not a blivet.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2008, 17:47
I agree totally unnecessary for the A.T. but if you must get one get the bigger one. But it is a waste of money and weight. Hang your food using the PCT method http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html
or use bear cables or boxes when provided. Do you really want to watch a bear trying to pull your bag of food away from a tree anyway, then get P.O.'d and decide to eat something else?

If mice or a squirrel got in your food you could still eat it. They don't eat much. And feed the chipmunks if you have some spare nuts or dried fruit, they're cute.

ZZXF
06-28-2008, 23:47
I second Minnesota Smith's comment -- 3 times I've had my food bag broken into while on the bear cables. I haven't bought one yet, but I've thought about getting an Ursack several times and have also wondered about whether there is a meaningful difference between the Vectra and the Spectran fabric -- not with respect to bears, but with respect to mice, squirrels, etc. So, I would love to hear if anyone has any real experience with either.

That said, there is some truth to the last comment -- all 3 times, the squirrel got into all my Snicker's bars and some of my bread but left the noodles alone. So, it certainly wasn't the end of the world and I wasn't going to starve, but I was still mighty pissed!!!

Odd Thomas
06-29-2008, 00:00
These are all interesting comments, but does anybody know the answer to my original question?

I think I remember wondering myself, and one was kelvar and one wasn't due to military needs or something.