PDA

View Full Version : Watches and Cell Phones

Dakota_
06-16-2008, 21:27
How useful do you feel a watch is on a thru hike of the AT? Some people like to have it so they can gage if they can make it to town before the store or post office close to pace oneself to keep on schedule. Other than that, is a watch really all that useful?

Likewise, how many people decide to go without a cell phone? Was it a problem not having a cell phone. Is carrying a cell phone worth the weight?

Just curious.

MOWGLI
06-16-2008, 21:34
How useful do you feel a watch is on a thru hike of the AT? Some people like to have it so they can gage if they can make it to town before the store or post office close to pace oneself to keep on schedule. Other than that, is a watch really all that useful?

Likewise, how many people decide to go without a cell phone? Was it a problem not having a cell phone. Is carrying a cell phone worth the weight?

Just curious.

I hiked in 2000 without a cell phone. No problems. But it's a slippery slope once you're accustomed to the technology.

I carried a watch. Later in the hike, I wished I hadn't. But there were no do overs.

Good luck.

rafe
06-16-2008, 21:35
I'd put both in the category of "useful but not absolutely necessary." Both items are useful if you're trying to coordinate or synchronize your life on the trail with other humans (on or off the trail.) If that's not important to you, then these items aren't either.

I tend to use all the daylight that's available, so having a watch lets me know how much hiking time remains before dark. The phone has all sorts of uses, but for me it was mostly a means of keeping in touch with my wife. On a few times I used it to arrange rides to/from the trail, and on one occasion to order supples to be delivered to a post office a few days down the trail.

Appalachian Tater
06-16-2008, 21:40
A watch is also handy if you wake up and wonder if it is 1 am or 5 am. If it is the former you may want to go back to sleep and if the latter, eat breakfast and start hiking. It is also nice to be able to tell drunks to hush up, that "it's after midnight", as opposed to "it's really late" or something else lame.

I admit to borrowing someone else's cell phone once to order replacement shoes to be delivered at the next town. It would also have been nice once or twice not to have to wait on a payphone to open up or to be able to call for a ride into town. If I were to thru-hike again I would probably try to carry a cell phone. Since they show the time, I wouldn't carry a watch.

When making a call in the woods, I would look for the same sort of privacy that I would when having a bowel movement. Nothing is more irritating than summitting after an hour climbing to find people yakking away.

superman
06-16-2008, 21:57
I've never owned a cell phone. In 2000 I used my watch to estimate how many miles I'd hiked. I had the alarm set for 6:00 AM and was hiking by 7:00 AM every day, rain or shine.

Slo-go'en
06-16-2008, 23:11
I carry a disposable $5.00 watch on the back of my pack. Its nice to know what time it really is once in a while. The alarm can also be handy once in a while, if you can remeber how to work the darn thing!

I don't carry a cell phone, but am complempating carrying a cell phone jammer! I was at a shelter earlier this season and a weekend hiker spent an hour on his phone trying to explain to his wife how to make the VCR record! Don't think she ever figured it out! That being said, if you really need to keep in regular contact with someone, bring it. Be aware coverage can be spotty, but it is amazing how many places they do work - except when you really, really need it. Other than that, its just dead weight.

Frosty
06-16-2008, 23:14
When making a call in the woods, I would look for the same sort of privacy that I would when having a bowel movement. Nothing is more irritating than summitting after an hour climbing to find people yakking away.Not me. I'd find it much less irritating to have people do their bowel movements in privacy and conversations on hte summit than the other way around :-?

10-K
06-25-2008, 15:46
I wouldn't want to hike without my watch. I use it to estimate distance hiked, time left to hike, time before daylight, meeting shuttlers, etc. etc.

Plus, I just like to know what time it is.

As far as the cell phone goes, I've got a family (wife and 3 teens no less), business with employee, etc. and I need to be reachable. I always carry a cell phone and turn it on 2-3 times a day just to reassure myself that everything is ok. I don't walk around with it on 24/7 but like I do usually turn it on when I get up, eat lunch and before turning in. And as often as not I don't have service anyway. If I don't have it, I just worry and that's no fun at all.

If I were more footloose and fancy-free I'd be happy to leave the cell phone behind. It's not really an option for me at the present time.

faarside
06-25-2008, 17:05
I'd put both in the category of "useful but not absolutely necessary." Both items are useful if you're trying to coordinate or synchronize your life on the trail with other humans (on or off the trail.) If that's not important to you, then these items aren't either.

I tend to use all the daylight that's available, so having a watch lets me know how much hiking time remains before dark. The phone has all sorts of uses, but for me it was mostly a means of keeping in touch with my wife. On a few times I used it to arrange rides to/from the trail, and on one occasion to order supples to be delivered to a post office a few days down the trail.

Well said, and I agree with all these points. One other plus for the watch is that I use the alarm function to awake from sleep/naps, as well as the watch's compass function from time to time.

Happy Trails!

Appalachian Tater
06-25-2008, 17:09
Not me. I'd find it much less irritating to have people do their bowel movements in privacy and conversations on hte summit than the other way around :-?If you reach the summit and someone is having a bowel movement you can face the other way and ignore them, which is impossible if they're yakking away on a cell phone.

Pedaling Fool
06-25-2008, 17:09
I like having a watch it's good for gauging distance. I also have a heart rate monitor feature on my watch so I can check my heart rate every so often. I don't care for a cell, just never liked them.

This is all very subjective though; recommend not using either.

SunnyWalker
06-25-2008, 23:19
Its a hard habit to break, wanting to know what time it is. Cell phone . . . depends on your responsibilities. If you do not have a family (spouse, children) maybe it would be neat to be "unleashed" and use only phones when you go into town.

Nearly Normal
06-26-2008, 00:35
I quit wearing a watch about a year ago. I hope to throw away the calender next.
Cell Phone? What's that?

Wise Old Owl
06-26-2008, 00:47
I carry a disposable $5.00 watch on the back of my pack. Its nice to know what time it really is once in a while. The alarm can also be handy once in a while, if you can remeber how to work the darn thing!

I don't carry a cell phone, but am complempating carrying a cell phone jammer! I was at a shelter earlier this season and a weekend hiker spent an hour on his phone trying to explain to his wife how to make the VCR record! Don't think she ever figured it out! That being said, if you really need to keep in regular contact with someone, bring it. Be aware coverage can be spotty, but it is amazing how many places they do work - except when you really, really need it. Other than that, its just dead weight.

That wife story is funny. So she couldnt put it on the right channel and hit the record button?

I don't have a watch anymore. I use a Cell Phone. Want the time? look at the phone. Want a diversion while hiking? MP3 player built in & I wake up to Boston every morning. Nice view? take a photo... Connect to the laptop later - Send pictures to people who care by Bluetooth. Priceless.

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 00:50
Dakota:

Plenty of folks do fine without phones.

I carry a watch for all the good reasons mentioned above; also, there are times when I'll decide "OK, it's getting on in the afternoon, I'll hike until (Blank) and then think about making camp." Sometimes, it makes it easier physically and mentally if you KNOW you only have to hike til, say, 5:30 or 6:00, rather than keeping on til you're essentially too tired to go further. If you set a goal, it sometimes makes the last hour a bit more bearable.

And as someone said (Tater maybe), there are times when I'll get up in the middle of the night and it's still black out. I kinda want to know what time it is.....if it's three, I'll go back to sleep, or maybe read myself to sleep. But if it's quarter of five, every now and again, I'll break camp in the near-dark, and set out hiking at first light or even before it. This can be a beautiful time of the day to hike, and it helps a lot in mid or late summer, when you want to get some major miles in before it gets too hot.

Lastly, as has been previously mentioned, your watch will tell you how much time is left til dark, i.e. when the afternoon rolls around, it'll help give you an idea of how much time you have left to hike, so you can more realistically plan where you're likely to be at day's end. For example, if my watch tells me it's only two, then I know I can still make some serious miles in what remains of the day. If th watch says it's four-thirty, then I'll make my plans accordingly, as I'll know how much time I'll likely have to hike before dusk. The watch gives you information you'd otherwise be guessing at.

In any case, sometimes having a watch can come in really handy.

Grampie
06-26-2008, 09:24
I would take the watch but leave the phone. If you are so paranoid about staying in touch with the "outside world" you shouldn't be doing a thru-hike.

rafe
06-26-2008, 09:28
I would take the watch but leave the phone. If you are so paranoid about staying in touch with the "outside world" you shouldn't be doing a thru-hike.

I need to register a dissenting opinion here. For married folks wanting to hike long distances, a cell phone may make the difference between hiking and not hiking. Speaking for myself, it was great to have the option of calling home often. My wife and I were both happy for those chats.

Grampie
06-26-2008, 09:40
I need to register a dissenting opinion here. For married folks wanting to hike long distances, a cell phone may make the difference between hiking and not hiking. Speaking for myself, it was great to have the option of calling home often. My wife and I were both happy for those chats.

You speak for yourself and I'll speak, like I see it.
I am married and the longest time between calling home, while I thru-hiked was 7 days. One of the reasons that I thru-hiked was to spend some time away from the "real world." It was great to not have to be conserned with what was going on off the trail. It was great to get away from, what we have gotten used to putting up with on a daily bases.
I met several hikers who would call home every day. They soon left the trail to deal with with things in the "real world."
I will say again: If you are so paranoid with staying intouch, you shouldn't be doing a thru.

RadioFreq
06-26-2008, 09:41
Well said, and I agree with all these points. One other plus for the watch is that I use the alarm function to awake from sleep/naps, as well as the watch's compass function from time to time.

Happy Trails!

Just like Faarside my watch is also a compass and alarm clock so I will definitely be wearing mine. Don't really plan on using the alarm clock but I'll have it in case I change my mind.

Still uncertain about a cellphone. But this begs the question: Assuming you are a section or thru hiker that carried a cellphone how often have you been "yogied" for your phone by another hiker who was not carrying? (Not that I'm planning on doing that....... :D)

:) T-minus 8.25 months...and counting :)

Two Speed
06-26-2008, 09:44
Hate to admit it, but I consider a watch with an alarm essential for winter hiking. I gotta get started early if I'm gonna get any miles in, so the alarm's set for an hour before sunrise.

ZEKE #2
06-26-2008, 15:04

I agree wholeheartedly. Most of the time we used the text messaging feature and I didn't bother a soul!

Blissful
06-26-2008, 15:08
I liked having a watch - it helped me figure out my speed with my hike that day, when I would be at a shlter, etc and getting up and going in the AM. My hubby hates watches when he is out, but he likes the altimeter part of his.

Cell phones are good for keeping in touch with support people, family, and for emergencies.

rafe
06-26-2008, 15:09
Still uncertain about a cellphone. But this begs the question: Assuming you are a section or thru hiker that carried a cellphone how often have you been "yogied" for your phone by another hiker who was not carrying? (Not that I'm planning on doing that....... :D)

I've yogi'd and been yogi'd in that regard. No biggie. If I hand my phone to another hiker, I ask them to keep the conversation short. Mostly when I chatted with my wife it was just to let her know I was OK.

flemdawg1
06-26-2008, 15:30
If you use a cell phone for a watch/alarm clock, you might wanna make sure that the clock features still work when there is no signal. My cell phone gets it's time from the cell tower. No signal might mean no watch/alarm clock.

Wags
06-26-2008, 19:01
i think the watch is along the same lines as a water filter or compass/map. some people feel the need to carry em and others don't. highly subjective

trailfoot
07-27-2008, 22:59

Just curious.

A watch is helpful for towns/post office, keeping track of your pace, Day of the week.

Cell, I called my family everyday or every other day. (married with 2 young kids) For me the weight was worth every ounce. Charging became an issue so I purchased an Energizer charger.

Footslogger
07-27-2008, 23:08

Just curious.

====================================

In terms of my personal experience ...I completely agree with your assessment. I have an old Casio that I put on a small webbing loop and hang it off my sternum strap. For the most part I don't even know it's there. But if I needed to be somewhere at a certain time it came in handy.

I did not carry a cell phone on my thru in 2003. I had a prepaid phone card and found that I was able to stay in touch quite well using pay phones. There were a few instances when I wished I had one and for that reason I think if I hike the AT again I would carry mine. Probably wouldn't turn it on much but would be willing to carry the extra 4 ounces just in case.

'Slogger

Pepper Beard
07-27-2008, 23:13
A cell phone isn't just for your use. A paranoid loved one at home might feel a whole lot better just knowing you are carrying one. Maybe it's the loved one at home that needs to hear from you. Maybe it's them that feels better by you having one. Those are things to consider.

I think it's the choice of the hiker to carry one (along with the recharging gear) or not but I do think it should be used away from others along the AT or used at roadsides just out of courtesy. I could understand why people at shelters would be pi&&ed if someone is yakking on a cell phone all night.

Bare Bear
07-27-2008, 23:21
I carried both and a lot of hikers borrowed both.........and I know of at least one hiker that would have died from his heart attack had it not been for a fellow hiker tht came along with a cell phone to summon help. I do agree that cell use should be very carefully managed so as not to affect others. I tried to stop on the last hill before the night's stopping point. Better signal and some hikers pass on by, most stopped to use theirs.

Bob S
07-27-2008, 23:22
Just knowing you can be gotten a hold of in an emergency is nice to know for those at home. With voice mail you don’t have to have it on all the time.

2-weeks ago my dad had a heart attack (actually 2 of them in 2 days) my brother was on vacation 2000-miles away. It was nice to be able to leave him a message and then have him call to find out more. It’s good to be connected to your family for things like this. You don’t have to let it control your hiking life. But in an emergency it’s good to have.

SurferNerd
07-28-2008, 02:12
Perfect execution for a SPOT. Go research it, absolutely amazing device that uses GPS to inform loved ones of locations, and can transmit signals to SAR.

Watch-- Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor, my personal favorite.

Marta
07-28-2008, 06:48
...I was at a shelter earlier this season and a weekend hiker spent an hour on his phone trying to explain to his wife how to make the VCR record!

Reminds me of the best scene in "City Slickers."

I wear a watch and carry a cell phone. Personal choice.

As far as the bowel movement vs. cell phone on the summit...as soon as the phone call is over, the evidence is the call is gone. Evidence of the bowel movement will contaminate the site for weeks or months.

Also, pay phones are rapidly becoming extinct. Motel rooms of the cheaper sort no longer have phones in them. A cell phone is obviously an unnecessary expense, if you're trying to cut costs to the bone. But it's a considerable convenience sometimes.

Boudin
07-28-2008, 08:40
I can't believe the arrogance of telling someone that they shouldn't long distance hike because they need to stay in touch with the world back home. That's insane. I need to stay in touch with my family. It makes it easier for my wife if I have a cell phone with me. I have a child with a disability. I may have to get home quickly. If you don't have any responsibilities at home, or anyone that loves you or anyone that you love, then you leave your phone at home. I'm taking mine with me.

earlyriser26
07-28-2008, 08:49
Yes to both. You can by without them, but why? You can get by without a tent, stove, water filter. They weigh next to nothing and are very helpful. I can never recall seeing a hiker yaking on the phone. Most use the phone away from people and have very short calls. A watch lets me know just how much time I have to get to a tight destination or when I wake up in the middle of the night is it 11pm or 4am. Should I go pee or hold out till morning. :p

DavidNH
07-28-2008, 09:14
Watches while not necessary are very useful. How long where you resting at the lunch spot? how close is it to Post office closing time when you get to town? etc etc. I would say in town, or on a day going in to town good to have a watch. When out on the trail.. the sun can be your watch.

Cell phones.. Don't have one, never have, never will! All these folks who say they want to get away into the wilderness and think they are getting away from it all..just bring it all with them. Can't you guys be out of touch even a few days?

oh and those damn towers they put on the mountain tops! The towers are eyesores, the phones are gadgets and you don't need them. Oh and then there's the teens talking on the phone in the malls! The folks at Borders places who chat up on the phone oblivious to those around them UGH!

DavidNH

paradoxb3
07-28-2008, 15:05
I wear a watch for all the same reasons everyone has mentioned -- Alarm, estimated milage, time til sunrise/sunset, date and day of week, etc... I couldnt imagine life without it.

As for cell phones, I carry one. I leave it off until i plan to make a call.... and considering a summit is about the only good place to get a call out, if YOU walk up on ME while i'm informing MY loved ones that all is well, and somehow this offends you, you're free to pass on by and get over yourself -- as for comparing it to a public BM, actually nevermind, i wont touch that one.

Nomad94
07-28-2008, 16:48
Use of a cellphone on the AT sullies what would otherwise be a pristine wilderness experience. This experience, free of roads, traffic (and atv) noises-- free of any hint of civilization, is as if one were to be able to step back in time to a pre-mechanized world. Never are there throngs of vacationers milling about *your* vista experience as if it were as easy to attain as a common green 'scenic overlook' sign off the local thruway. Little Johnny, his tubby tummy peaking from beneath his 'That's how I roll, dawg' t-shirt, and his inquiries into your mode of existence, is merely an illusion due to the weeks of solitude you've enjoyed. Cell phones are the thin edge of the wedge that will sunder this reality. Say no to Deep Woods Telephony.

Phones are handy and worth the weight to many. I stopped carrying a watch and carry a cellphone (off, and with the safety applied, of course).

My gripes. Don't be a jerk-- keep your conversation to yourself. Cellphones have amplified microphones. Unlike a typical conversation with a non-native English speaker, yelling your point louder does not help. Don't pace back and forth like a chain-smoking day trader. You are not important, no one cares (that holds for the day-trader as well).

I think intrusiveness is key, and I don't think someone simply utilizing some tech-gadget that represents all that is unholy about industrial living to others is necessarily intrusive. I rarely use a cellphone in life outside the 'woods', and I rarely use it in the 'woods'. It is simply a tool, one that doesn't particularly frighten me (although it does help assuage my apparent deep-seated paranoia). It doesn't particularly change the way I plan a trip (equipment, location, etc) nor my use of any skill sets that I may have acquired along the way.

As for their use in shelters/vistas, I could care less if someone is politely having a conversation on a phone at an outlook or in a shelter. I wouldn't mind if they were having a conversation with their corporally present audience, I don't really see it as much different. As long as they aren't including me in the conversation or constantly looking my way, I could care less (and even then, often I still care less).

A little acknowledgment (a tip of the cap, if you will) goes a long way in the situations. Not everyone knows how to do that. Nothing new.

Plodderman
07-28-2008, 17:03
I like to hike with a watch it helps me to keep on track when I want to. I do not carry phone because when I hike I like the break from the business.

Bob S
07-28-2008, 20:42
Watches while not necessary are very useful. How long where you resting at the lunch spot? how close is it to Post office closing time when you get to town? etc etc. I would say in town, or on a day going in to town good to have a watch. When out on the trail.. the sun can be your watch.

Cell phones.. Don't have one, never have, never will! All these folks who say they want to get away into the wilderness and think they are getting away from it all..just bring it all with them. Can't you guys be out of touch even a few days?

oh and those damn towers they put on the mountain tops! The towers are eyesores, the phones are gadgets and you don't need them. Oh and then there's the teens talking on the phone in the malls! The folks at Borders places who chat up on the phone oblivious to those around them UGH!

DavidNH

What happened to the idea of HYOH?

What works for you just may not work the same for others. Have enough respect for others to allow them the right to choose.