PDA

View Full Version : Five Million Steps

Former Admin
10-10-2002, 06:58
Comments & Reviews of the video Five Million Steps

Worth the purchase, yes or no?

Jack Tarlin
10-16-2002, 16:38
Not anymore. Much of video is dated, as the Trail has changed greatly in recent years, especially as regards equipment, accomodations, facilities, etc. In my opinion, NONE of the "How To..." thru-hiking videos presently on the market are worth the money.
Something to think about for any of you film or video people, eh? Maybe it's time for a new one.

Israel
12-12-2002, 01:45
Jack,

While I agree with you on the practical side as far as current advice, etc., I would still say this movie is worth buying. I guess you could say it is a "classic," with many of the issues that face all thru-hikers no matter what the year still coming to light in the movie (mental and physical strain, etc.). I would still buy it, keeping in mind that current trail is slightly different. Besides, where else are you going to see so many external backpacks?

Lone Wolf
12-12-2002, 07:50
Lousy flick in my opinion. Buncha whiners in it.

kythruhiker
12-12-2002, 09:47
It's definately a dated video, but I thought it had a good mix of different hiker types/backgrounds. Starts out with an ill prepared hiker meeting the GA mountains for the first time...heavy breathing, take 5 steps, rest, more heavy breathing and groaning, 5 more steps, rest, very good documentation of his pain, lol. I'd recommend watching it, as Israel said, because it's a "classic". Definately don't look at it as a "how-to" purchase because it won't come close.

Ed