PDA

View Full Version : gorp or trail mix

randy moore
02-17-2004, 22:37
looking for a good receipe for the trail mix that is sometimes refered to gorp :-? how about some receipes? also what exactly kind of bag should I have to hang my food up for the night. I have a couple of nylon ones that came with a tent, would these work ok thanks for any help pawpaw

TJ aka Teej
02-18-2004, 00:59
looking for a good receipe for the trail mix that is sometimes refered to gorp :-? how about some receipes? also what exactly kind of bag should I have to hang my food up for the night. I have a couple of nylon ones that came with a tent, would these work ok thanks for any help pawpaw
I keep my honey roasted cashews, m&ms, and raisins in different bags. I'm anti-Gorp. If you use a nylon stuff sack to hang your smelly stuff, remember it's not water proof. A plastic garbage bag *over* the food bag keeps stuff pretty dry.

2XL
02-18-2004, 07:46
peanuts,choc covered raisins and some m&ms

Peaks
02-18-2004, 10:02
First, I recommend that gorp be in a heavy duty zip lock bag. Then, put this and all other food inside a sil nylon stuff sack.

My trail mix consists is nuts and dried fruits. My preference is dry roasted nuts. Dried fruits include raisins, chopped dates, dried cranberries. Pineapple is a favorite. If I want a filler, then I add granola. The mix changes from batch to batch depending on what's on the grocery shelf, and what size jars/ packages of ingrediants I buy.

I forgot to add: M&M's always.

ripple
02-18-2004, 10:33
I use a basic gorp mix. nuts, dried fruits, pretzels, m&ms. My favorite ingredient... Gummy bears. They add a little chewyness to mix. UUUUmmmm gummy bears.

Texas Dreamer
05-03-2004, 12:05
Family 'o four gorp:

Each person selects ONE ingredient at the grocery, at trailhead each receives a baggie and puts in differing amounts to taste. Yesterday my bag contained--sunflower seeds (me), pineapple(no.1 daughter), yogurt covered raisins(no.2 daughter), pecans(hubby), and jerky (general consensus).

never the same, always interesting

Footslogger
05-03-2004, 12:25
During my thru last year I sort of went through phases in terms of GORP. Guess you could say that was true for just about everything I ate on the trail. In fact, that's one of the best arguments for NOT buying all your food up front.

When it comes to GORP, I always made my own. I resupplied about every 4 - 5 days so when I did have an appetite for GORP I never carried more than what I could consume during that period. I would take a large freezer strength ziplock and start with some M & M's or Reeses Pieces. I would get a small bag of mixed nuts and throw it in. Last but not least I would buy a bag of finely cut mixed fruit. Shake it all up and that would do it. That big bag would go in my food bag. I always carried a handful of pint sized ziplocks (again the freezer strengh variety) and fill one each morning or evening until the supply was gone.

There were times when I just couldn't even look at another handful of GORP without starting to gag. But then I'd get into a GORP sort of mood and go at it for another week.

Anyway ...that worked for me.

'Slogger

DavidR
06-16-2004, 23:10
The Gorp I carry is very basic but will change depending on weather (temperature that is).
My favorite is cashews, peanuts, raisins and yogurt covered raisins. Since I have found the yogurt covered raisins melt in the summer so I switch to M&M's. Tastes great and is easy to make.

smokymtnsteve
06-17-2004, 07:55
Honey sesame sticks
garlic sesame sticks
mango
cranberrries
almonds
banana chips

Kerosene
06-17-2004, 09:20
I love gorp at the start of my week-long section hikes, but after about the 4th day as my appetite wanes it's tough to down the stuff. My recipe is pretty basic: peanuts, raisins, and M&Ms, sometimes supplemented by cashews or dried cranberries.

Kelgon77
07-06-2004, 16:10
Dry roasted almonds, dried cranberries, white chocolate chips

The Scribe
07-06-2004, 16:24
It's getting to the point if I spend more than 10 minutes reading the new posts of WhiteBlaze, I feel the need to munch on GORP while I do so.

lilmountaingirl
07-06-2004, 16:50
Cashews, banana chips, M&M's, PB morsels, granola.

Alternates: dried cherries, apricots, cranberries, honey roasted peanuts, chex, frosted mini-wheats

EAM
07-16-2004, 20:45
I thought GORP was an acronym for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts and that those were the standard components.

WalkinHome
07-16-2004, 22:04
One poster touched on my thought. Don't overlook sugar type cereals, frosted mini-wheats, fruit loops etc. The beauty is that they are universally available, keep well and are cheap and plentiful. They don't weigh much either. I have given up on the granola/nut/chocolate stuff. The mini-wheats are great because even if some of them get crushed, they are still good to eat. Be safe.

CynJ
10-07-2005, 20:42
My two fav's

1) dry almonds and dried cranberries

2) bite-sized shredded wheat, some salt, and raisins.

I eat a lot of just small shredded wheat with salt - it tastes like a fat free Triscit cracker.

I don't like to mix fruit and chocolate - bluck....to each his own though :) We always carry some M&Ms separately.

saimyoji
10-07-2005, 21:15
Any/all of the above combinations. Something I like to do is add Cherios: regular or honey nut. Good and good for you. I always double bag my gorp if it has sharp edged things in it. Over time the edges wear holes, even in freezer bags.

jackiebolen
10-08-2005, 01:01
I always put pretzels and dry cereal in to give it a bit of crunch. Sometimes I'll crunch up a ramen packet. Lately, I've been putting cocunut in, lots of calories for not too much weight. Craisins are super-good too if you get tired of raisins. Skittles and starburst adn other candies of that sort are also good.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-08-2005, 05:14
My basic GORP recipe is 1/2 Wal-Mart's Sam's Choice tropical trail mix (dried tropical fruits) and 1/2 Walgreens' Select premium blend nuts (cashews, almonds, macadamias & pecans). (I use these nuts because the male dino hates peanuts, but any mixed nuts would work) I often add raisins, craisins, cereals mentioned above, mini pretzel sticks, etc. for variety. I rarely add M & M's or yogurt peanuts because I've had trouble with them melting. I never use honey roasted or butter toffee nuts because they get sticky. I have added cinnamon crusted pecans - that was an awesome addition, but they are hard to find. A friend told me recently she adds Cinnamon toast cereal to her mix so I may give that a try soon.

Re: bagging - I put my GORP for the day in the ziplock baggie that had my morning cereal in it (I make my own cereal using various whole grains ground in a coffee mill and flavored with things dinosaurs love). This method gives me a new baggie every day thus eliminating the problems with torn / sticky baggies. I carry the rest of the GORP in a large freezer zip lock in my food sack. BTW, I add the GORP 'crumbs' - pieces too small to eat going down the trail - to our morning cereal.

frieden
10-08-2005, 12:02
Oohhh, I love craisins. Generally, peanuts have more nutrition than other nuts, but they say that ground nuts are not as good for you as tree nuts (peanuts are ground grown nuts). Who knows. I like all of them. I put all the things I like in separate zip top baggies, and then combine them in one baggie for the day, depending on what mood I'm in for that day. That way, I get a different mix all the time, if I want. Regular or multi grain Cheerios are a great addition. If I remember correctly, Honey Nut Cheereos have a slightly better nutritional info, but they are too sticky. I always put in M&Ms, if I'm going out in cold weather.

theurbansuburban
10-11-2005, 13:37
after many years of trying new things in my GORP, I've consolidated it down to one item; M&M's everything else is just filler.

But seriously I'll put just about anything into my gorp. mostly whatever is in the kitchen cabinet

Uncle Silly
10-12-2005, 16:39
I also make my own. The main ingredients are nuts, fruits, and candies. I tend to prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips (and/or butterscotch chips) over M&Ms, cashews and sunflower kernels over peanuts, and a good mix of raisins/craisins/dates and other dried fruits. Dried cherries work well too. In Waynesboro VA this summer I went crazy at the supermarket and ended up with 7 qts of "Uncle Silly's WB Gorp", most of which got distributed to other hikers at the YMCA campground. The chocolate/butterscotch chips will get melty in the summer, but I don't mind the mess.

Seeker
10-13-2005, 23:11
1 bag/box each of plain M&Ms (hey! look everybody! he actually capitalized something!), raisins, and cashews, in roughly equal amounts. that's the 'base'. then add some of these: dried pineapple, jerky, craisins, blueberries, pretzel sticks, mini pretzels, combos (cheese-filled pretzel variety), or coconut.

this often creates more than i can use at once, so i freeze it in a huge ziplock, then break out what i need for my usual 1-2 overnight trips, or whatever. i always carry it in a ziplock... keeps the critters out, mostly, though i've had the odd industrious mouse eat his way in...

and don't let anyone stick their hand in your gorp bag... pour it into their hand... no telling where it's been... (ouch... harsh image there, huh?)

Teatime
10-14-2005, 07:26
Like some others, my GORP usually consists of dry roasted peanuts, raisins and M&Ms. Like some others, I tend to get sick of it pretty fast, which is one of the reasons I don't take it much anymore. Also, it tends to be kind of heavy. I saw somewhere in one of the forums where someone put the GORP that they were going to eat for that day in a 500 cc Wide Mouth Nalgene bottle. That way they could share with others with having different people stick their hands in the GORP bag. Good Idea!:clap

CynJ
10-14-2005, 07:50
I saw somewhere in one of the forums where someone put the GORP that they were going to eat for that day in a 500 cc Wide Mouth Nalgene bottle. That way they could share with others with having different people stick their hands in the GORP bag. Good Idea!:clap
I use a 32oz recycled gatorade bottle -much lighter than the Nalgene - same concept though! And used plastic mayo/salad dressing containers work good too.

Red
12-12-2005, 23:48
my current fav is roasted peanuts, raisins, M&M's, and banana chips.

mweinstone
01-05-2006, 00:00
rasins,peanuts and chocolate bars broken up .cadbury dairy milk if in supermarket,hershys plain if in a bar.planters dry roast no salt and boxed rasins.this is most available.sometimes i scrounge up gorp from bars so then they contain beer nuts or smoked almonds.beware the laundrymat nut ..he is soggy and will bring bad luck.matthewski game06 .looking for ride from pa to ge 3/3/06.sometimes i scare folks with my bag of gorp cause i carry 5 lbs. so when they say why so much gorp i say cause if im pinned down and cant cook or move, i can survive by gorping my way out of a bad sittuation.see?

Peaks
01-05-2006, 10:19
OK, a couple of comments here.

Heavy? sure, but Gorp with nuts and everything has a very high calorie per ounce ratio. It's dense, like peanut butter.

If you use salted ingredients, and salted nuts, the dried fruits will absorb the salt and change the tastes, especially over time.

Crunchy foods like pretzel,ptoato sticks, or cereal will absorb moisture from dried furits making them soft rather than crunchy over time.

To avoid a ruined batch of Gorp, keep the moist ingredients like dried fruits separate from the salty ingredients untily you are going to eat it.