PDA

View Full Version : Heres what I have, what can I cook?

Ozzieninja
06-17-2008, 00:33
Hello, I'm planning a SOBO AT hike and have been packaging food. I plan on leaving from Abol Bridge on June 19th, if anyone is headed that way let me know. Anyways, I just picked up several number 10 cans from a guy who planned for the world ending in 2000. It didn't happen and I got a great deal. So if anyone can throw out some ideas heres what I have. I can always add things so don't limit it to just these ingredients.

Secondly, does anyone know where I can find dried tomato sauce or tomato flakes?

Here is what I have: (all dried of course)

Beef Flavored TVP
Green Beans
Carrots
Celery (negative calorie food, should I even use it?)
Milk
Hashbrowns
Egg

I have a lot of instant rice, rice sides, tortellini and whole wheat pasta. Limitless spices.

Appalachian Tater
06-17-2008, 02:39
You could make some really good cream soups - celery, carrot, potato, as well as regular soups, get some bullion cubes, dried onion and garlic, especially later in your hike when it gets cold.

All of those vegetable ingredients would be great in most rice or pasta dishes.

Cous cous and rice noodles are the fastest and easiest forms of rice and pasta.

Groceries that carry Latin American food will carry vegetable bullion and tomato bullion, usually Knorr &/or Maggi.

Google "ingredient ingredient ingredient recipe" to get some ideas.

Make sure you try the whole wheat pasta before you head out, some people don't like the flavor.

One of my favorite dishes is tortellini in bullion broth with sun dried tomatoes and pepperoni or bacon.

If you are eating a lot of dried vegetables you may need to add oil to increase your calorie intake.

There are a lot of ideas in various threads in the cooking forum: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Rockhound
06-17-2008, 08:46
Hello, I'm planning a SOBO AT hike and have been packaging food. I plan on leaving from Abol Bridge on June 19th, if anyone is headed that way let me know. Anyways, I just picked up several number 10 cans from a guy who planned for the world ending in 2000. It didn't happen and I got a great deal. So if anyone can throw out some ideas heres what I have. I can always add things so don't limit it to just these ingredients.

Secondly, does anyone know where I can find dried tomato sauce or tomato flakes?

Here is what I have: (all dried of course)

Beef Flavored TVP
Green Beans
Carrots
Celery (negative calorie food, should I even use it?)
Milk
Hashbrowns
Egg

I have a lot of instant rice, rice sides, tortellini and whole wheat pasta. Limitless spices.
the person who was preparing for the end of the world. Were his trail name initials MS?

Cookerhiker
06-17-2008, 09:02
All of Tater's suggestions are good ones. I would add that in addition to Knorr brands for dried tomato products you can probably find McCormick sauce mixes in your grocery stores. Their spaghetti and other sauces may not be pure tomato but will have tomato in it.

And another one of my favorites which I push alot on WB is bulgur wheat which cooks fast and tastes delicious with one of your sauces.

deeddawg
06-17-2008, 09:26
You can get tomato powder from Walton Feed (http://waltonfeed.com/cart/all.html#6) - possibly the same place the beef flavor TVP came from. I've used their sausage and taco flavored TVP and it's been good.

The beef TVP will be a great protein source -- mix with all the usual stuff, mac&cheese, mashed potatoes, quinoa, etc. Much lighter than the foilpack meats.

Ozzieninja
06-17-2008, 09:33
Anyone have an answer regarding the celery? Since it takes more energy to digest it than it gives you is it worthless on the trail? Or is it good for the fiber and vitamins?

Appalachian Tater
06-17-2008, 09:40
Is it powdered or flakes? I would carry some to add to other foods, or for cream of celery soup (one of my favorites!). How many ounces are you planning on taking? It probably wouldn't be but a couple. A mouthful of water weighs more. You couldn't live very well off of it alone, but that's true of many vegetables.

For a discussion on "negative calorie" foods in general, and celery in particular, you're in luck:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040507.html

You couldn't ask for a better investigator.

Ozzieninja
06-17-2008, 10:04
Thanks a bunch, its actually cubed ha. I just planned on adding it to meals not carrying it as something to be added later. I'm going to try this recipe, i'll let you know if it cooks well without an oven. Of course I still need to change the measurements.

"MEAT" LOAF
1 cup oatmeal (coarse grind is best)
1 cup TVP
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup minced celery
1/3 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced parsley or 2 generouse tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup grated mozarella cheese
2 beaten eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. catsup
enough water to make a slightly softer than meatloaf mixture

budforester
06-17-2008, 17:34
Anyone have an answer regarding the celery? Since it takes more energy to digest it than it gives you is it worthless on the trail? Or is it good for the fiber and vitamins?

Here's a link. (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl) Dried celery seems to retain some vitamins A and C, and offers a pretty good mix of minerals. I vote for the cream of celery soup, too.

Uh- oh, this is in the Forum Help forum.