PDA

View Full Version : Unicoi Gap to Deep Gap tomorrow

bigmac_in
06-17-2008, 08:21
Canteen Boy and I are heading to NC tonight, staying at Ron Havens place and then shuttling to Unicoi Gap tomorrow for our annual section hike. From there we'll be heading to Deep Gap, NC - then down the Kimsey Creek trail to Standing Indian Campground. Likely off the trail on Saturday. If you bump into us, say hi. We won't be in a hurry, just getting away. If you've been through the area recently, let me know if there is anything I need to know. I'll try to post a trip report when I get back.

Big Mac

pyroman53
06-17-2008, 10:02
I would like to hear how the shuttle from Franklin worked (and cost) cause I'm planning a similar trip in October, with similar logistics.

bigben
06-17-2008, 11:17
We did Dick's Creek to Winding Stair last Month. Other than the climb out of Bly Gap which sucked, I thought it was a pretty easy hike. Plenty of water, good trail, hardly any blowdowns. Very few shelters in NC on this section have bear cables, so bring cordage. Have fun.

Bigben

Berserker
06-17-2008, 13:17
I did Amicalola SP to Standing Indian Campground via Kimsey Creek Trail the first week of June. In general, the entire section was very nice. The trail is in good condition, and water is flowing at all the springs marked on the map as well as some sources that are not marked. Some of the springs have small dead white worms in them (I don't know what these are and what them being in there means if anything), but I have not gotten sick off of any of that water yet (used filter). Bears in that area are apparently quite active this year. My buddy and I saw 2 between us right near Dick's Creek Gap (Hwy 76). Never got harassed at night though (hung food).

The only warning I would have is that there is a TON of poison ivy lining the trail almost all the way through GA. Also beware of the timber rattlers (saw two of them).

The main highlight on the piece you are doing is Tray Mountain (this was one of my favorite camp spots...one of the tensites near the shelter). There is a nice view up on top. I don't remember any other decent views after that. There is a side trail to a vista near Dick's Creek, but I didn't check it out.

Once you get to Kimsey Creek be warned that the Kimsey Creek trail sucks. It is overgrown and has some blowdowns on it. Also, more than half of it is an old rocky forest road with a lot of standing and some running water on it. The rocks in this area are pretty slick. If I were going to do it again I would park a car at FS-71 (Deep Gap) and skip Kimsey Creek Trail.

orangebug
06-17-2008, 13:44
I sent a Momma and Grandma down the Kimsey Creek Trail 4 weeks ago and they had a blast. They got off trail briefly, but weren't familiar with the blazing system.

Berserker
06-17-2008, 14:49
I sent a Momma and Grandma down the Kimsey Creek Trail 4 weeks ago and they had a blast. They got off trail briefly, but weren't familiar with the blazing system.

Yeah, I'm sure perception is 99% of it. Normally I probably would have enjoyed that trail or at least thought it was ok, but under the circumstances I didn't like it at the time. We had already done about 12.5 miles when we got to Deep Gap with our plan to stay at this nice spot up near Standing Indian Shelter already foiled (people were in the spot). So tired and dejected we started heading down Kimsey Creek thinking we would find something before hitting Standing Indian Campground. We didn't find anything we were interested in, and hit the campground around 9:30 PM. Under those circumstances I really didn't care much for the trail.

orangebug
06-17-2008, 14:54
I know how you felt. I just hope it wasn't raining. You might have done better to have gone up to the summit and camped (lots of places) and down quickly via the Lower Ridge Trail.

whitefoot_hp
06-17-2008, 15:12
We did Dick's Creek to Winding Stair last Month. Other than the climb out of Bly Gap which sucked, I thought it was a pretty easy hike. Plenty of water, good trail, hardly any blowdowns. Very few shelters in NC on this section have bear cables, so bring cordage. Have fun.

Bigben
did that same hike in reverse last december. i guess i didnt notice how downhill it was to bly gap :)

Berserker
06-17-2008, 16:01

Bigben

I second the "sucking" of the climb out of Bly Gap. Those are 2 nasty steep climbs. I just dubbed it "Welcome to NC". My buddy and I were commenting in GA how the terrain was a little different than what we were used to in NC. Funny how right after you cross the border the terrain literally changes right there. Steep nasty climbs with nice techinical rocky decents down the other side. No poison ivy though, which was nice.

The only shelter you pass in NC before Deep Gap is Muskrat Creek, and it does not have bear cables as you have indicated. It is actually right on the trail though...not a 0.5 mile blue blaze off the AT like all the ones in GA.

bigmac_in
06-17-2008, 16:17
Thanks for all the info everyone - we're heading our right now . See you down the trail.