PDA

View Full Version : Shortened hike in SNP

Locutus
06-17-2008, 16:28
Couple of weeks ago my father and I headed off to SNP for a planned week hike. After the 8 hour drive we pulled into Front Royal looking for the entrance to SNP, after not finding it for a little while, we saw a backpacker walking down the street in town, so we pulled over and asked him if he knew where the trailhead was. He said he did, and that he was actually headed that way and asked if we would give him a ride. Traditionally, I don't give rides to strangers, but I thought "what the heck", need to get into the AT spirit. :)

Well, he threw his back into the back of our SUV and climbed into the backseat. The first thing he said was "You'll have to excuse me, I've been drinking a bit"..... great.

Well, turns out he was toasted, homeless, and broke. We drove all over town and he took us way out of our way. Finally, I had a enough and I dropped him off at a 7-11. Where he proceeded to bum money and food off of me. I most likely will not be picking up any hikers again unless I am in my truck so they can just ride in back.

Well, it was getting close to dark. So we figured we would just find a motel and start off in the morning (we had planned to at least hike a couple of miles and then setup camp). Unfortunately for us, it was Memorial Day weekend and every motel was booked. No vacancies. No luck for us.

We spent the night sleeping in the car in a hospital parking lot.

We wake up about 4am (sleeping in a car is miserable, hadn't done it for years) and head out to McDonalds for breakfast... that was pretty good, the day was looking up. :)

We get to the entrance to SNP, and the signs say that all backcountry campers must register and receive a permit, and it was $15 to park. Well, there was no one at the gate, so I was worried about just parking and hiking without paying and getting the permit. I didn't want my car to be towed or to receive a ticket. It says that the permits are available from sunrise to sunset, and the sun was just peeking over the horizon. So we pulled over and waited for a ranger or whoever was supposed to be manning the booth. We waited until 8am and no one ever came, so tired of waiting and wasting anymore of the day, we decided to park at Comptons Gap and then just hike the mile or so north to the AT self registration thing on the trail (even though we were hiking SOBO).

So finally we set off around 9:30am SOBO from Comptons Gap. Immediately we ran into a thruhiker, really nice guy and we talked for awhile. I didn't catch his name, but he said he was a retired consultant from TN.

What I wasn't prepared for was all the rocks. I am from Ohio, all of my hiking has been in the Ohio/Indiana region, and we don't have a whole lot of rocks here. I had read on here that boots don't really help keep you from twisting your ankle, so about a month prior I switched to a pair of trail runners. By the end of the day, I ended up twisting my ankle (I had never twisted my ankle before). It just hurt for a few minutes, and I thought all was well. We had planned on stopping at Gravel Springs Hut for the night, however, we somehow went right past it. Never being on the AT before, I assumed the shelters would be hard to miss. I guess I was wrong. We ended up going about 2 miles passed it before I realized it. I kept thinking it would be right around the next bend, until we finally hit Skyline Dr again and then I knew. So we crossed Skyline and went about another half mile and just setup camp off the trail.

The next morning all seemed good, packing up I even spotted a wolf up the trail. As soon as I made eye contact, it bolted. Unfortunately, as soon as I donned my pack, and walked about 1/2 mile, my ankle started killing me. I hiked through it for most of the day, but at the end of the day, my ankle was hurting so bad, I was miserable and not enjoying myself at all. So the next Skyline crossing, we hitched a ride back up to the car and I headed home.

Just I thought I would share my brief AT experience. Ankle is OK now, and I will be back shortly with boots and a lighter pack. :)

Pedaling Fool
06-17-2008, 16:42
....Well, he threw his back into the back of our SUV and climbed into the backseat. The first thing he said was "You'll have to excuse me, I've been drinking a bit"..... great.

Well, turns out he was toasted, homeless, and broke. We drove all over town and he took us way out of our way. Finally, I had a enough and I dropped him off at a 7-11. Where he proceeded to bum money and food off of me. I most likely will not be picking up any hikers again unless I am in my truck so they can just ride in back....

What I wasn't prepared for was all the rocks. I am from Ohio, all of my hiking has been in the Ohio/Indiana region, and we don't have a whole lot of rocks here. I had read on here that boots don't really help keep you from twisting your ankle, so about a month prior I switched to a pair of trail runners. By the end of the day, I ended up twisting my ankle (I had never twisted my ankle before). It just hurt for a few minutes, and I thought all was well....

I saw two homeless people on the trail this year, one was in SNP the other was a little south. I don't think you picked up a hiker, he was just impersonating a hiker.

Wearing boots to prevent an ankle roll is BS, IMHO. The best way I know of curing ankles from twisting, is to walk on rocks/roots. I've had my fair share of twisted ankles from hiking. However, now when I walk on the AT I can feel my ankle twist, but because I've got some miles on the AT, the muscels in that area are stronger and more flexible and my reflexes are quicker, so when my ankle rolls there's no injury. It's like anything else, practice...

Frau
06-17-2008, 16:56
Are you sure is was a wolf and not a coyote?

Hope you have a longer and more enjoyable hike the NEXT time!

Frau

Locutus
06-17-2008, 17:02
Are you sure is was a wolf and not a coyote?

No I'm not, being from Ohio, we don't have either. :)

Rain Man
06-17-2008, 18:07
Thanks for the report! It's full of good stuff. Sounds like you now have stories to tell. Just learn the lessons and it'll get better and better.

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
06-17-2008, 19:16
Sorry for the things that went wrong and I'm glad you're open to returning. Did you have a map? You may have noticed that Gravel Springs Hut is on a side trail down a bit from the AT. Some of the other SNP shelters e.g. Bear Fence & HighTop are also off-trail.

I don't think you had to worry about being towed for parking a few days. Many visitors arrive early before the entrance stations are staffed although I'm surprised it was unstaffed on a Holiday weekend.

Hoop
06-17-2008, 21:59
Likely a coyote - they're well established in rural areas throughout the south.

Incahiker
06-18-2008, 00:58
I thought that it was a coyote too, but I did a little reading and found that the park did reintroduce red wolves in the smokey mountain national park in the early 90s. So it could have possibly been a wolf, that is cool. It could have very well been a coyote also though, they get rather large.

Locutus
06-18-2008, 01:13
After looking at some pictures, I think it might have been a coyote. One of the first things I noticed was how skinny it was (not like starving to death skinny, but a tall and narrow body) which seems to be more of a trait of the coyote.....

teachergal
06-18-2008, 08:47
One thing to note about SNP - every trail junction is marked with a concrete post with a metal band around the top indicating the trail names and some distances (usually they have distances). The side trails to the huts/shelters are marked so next time look out for the concrete posts and then you'll know exactly where the side trail to the shelter is! :) Springs are also marked in the same way.

Happy Hiking! :)

Skyline
06-18-2008, 09:55
Very, very unlikely you saw a purebred wolf. More than likely a stray dog or possibly a coyote. At most, you could have spotted a wolf/dog hybrid (a few people in the nearby valley and piedmont breed these hybrids, and it could have been a stray hybrid).

There are self-registration kiosks for backcountry camping permits at each Skyline Drive entrance station. The permits are kept in a secure shelf near the signage that explains how to fill them out. You could have just filled one out there (they are free); no need to hike north to the kiosk on the AT at the Park boundary. As for the $15 fee to access Skyline Drive, if the Entrance Station is not staffed, you just drive on through (you can pay on the way back out if someone is working at that time, or if not, you just don't pay).

As for missing Gravel Springs Hut, there is a concrete trail marker pointing the way down a blue-blazed trail to the hut (about 0.2 mi. south of where the AT crosses Skyline Drive at a point called Gravel Springs Gap). There is a wooden sign identifying the Gap on Skyline Drive near where the AT crosses. The gap, and the hut, are noted on PATC Map 9. It is mentioned in guidebooks.

Locutus
06-19-2008, 13:36
I am sure it wasn't a stray dog, I'm not an idiot.

There was a large brown metal box at the entrance station, but it seems to be locked as I could not get it open.

jaywalke
06-19-2008, 13:49
Coyotes always look guilty, like they just stole somebody's wallet.

jlb2012
06-19-2008, 14:24
There was a large brown metal box at the entrance station, but it seems to be locked as I could not get it open.

the self registration stations (I think that's your large brown metal box) at the entrance stations are in theory locked 1 hour before sundown - I think it has something to do with discouraging night hiking (a truly remarkable restriction IMO)

Skyline
06-19-2008, 15:57
I am sure it wasn't a stray dog, I'm not an idiot.

I never insinuated you are an idiot. I don't think I even know you.

I was simply trying out some of the possibilities other than purebred wolf, which I'm 99.99999% certain you did not see. There are some dogs, which in a blur as they run across a narrow field of vision, don't look that different from a wolf. And, there are dog/wolf hybrids in our region now which escape from captivity once in awhile.

As for the backcountry permit self-registration kiosk at the Front Royal Entrance Station, it is along the Drive, to the right, just after you pass through the Entrance Station "toll booth." It has an overhanging roof, signage, a place to write, and a small box with a lid that lifts up into which a supply of triplicate backcountry permits with carbon paper and writing instruments are typically stocked by Park staff. You fill out the permit, following instructions on the sign, and deposit the Park's copies into a narrow slot within the small box. Your copy gets tied to your pack, using the metal ties that are attached to the permit.

Your description of a large brown metal box, locked, sounds like a PATC tool cache for volunteer trail maintainers. Those are typically kept locked. Sorry you mistook it for something else, if that's the case.

Skyline
06-19-2008, 16:01
the self registration stations (I think that's your large brown metal box) at the entrance stations are in theory locked 1 hour before sundown - I think it has something to do with discouraging night hiking (a truly remarkable restriction IMO)

The one at Thornton Gap has permits available 24/7. At least that was the case until it was recently moved outside the construction zone (they are beginning to tear down the old Panorama Restaurant/permit office, etc. and closing access to/revegetating the lower parking lot).

I'll have to check on the TG kiosk if I'm up there after dark tonight. I plan to night-hike! :banana

Cookerhiker
06-19-2008, 16:02
.....Your description of a large brown metal box, locked, sounds like a PATC tool cache for volunteer trail maintainers. Those are typically kept locked. Sorry you mistook it for something else, if that's the case.

Usually these boxes have white lettering with "PATC tool cache" or something similar. And they are located at the entrance stations - at least I know there's one at Swift Run Gap.

Locutus
06-19-2008, 16:37
This box was located on the right side of the road about 25 feet past the booth next to one of those roofed stands that had a map and some other info behind plexiglass. It didn't have any lettering on it.

Skyline
06-19-2008, 23:46
This box was located on the right side of the road about 25 feet past the booth next to one of those roofed stands that had a map and some other info behind plexiglass. It didn't have any lettering on it.

What you just described (" . . . one of those roofed stands that had a map and some other info behind plexiglass") sounds precisely like the self-registration kiosk at the FroRo ES. If like some of the other ES, there probably is a PATC tool cache somewhere nearby.

There should have been a small shelf that you could fill out a backcountry permit on, and a top-hinged drop box with spare permits, writing instruments, and a slot to drop the Park's copies of your permit—attached to the sign/display/under the roof.

BTW, I checked on the kiosk at Thornton Gap after my night-hike tonight (about 11pm) and it was unlocked/serviceable. Just a guess that FroRo's would have been also, but I'll check the next time I'm up there after dark just to quench my curiosity.

vanwag
06-20-2008, 08:49
Did you have a trail map? One of these would have helped...

http://www.patc.us/store/PA160.htm

Good luck next time!

Dholmblad
06-20-2008, 09:50
Was this homeless guys name Daniel?

Locutus
06-20-2008, 10:26
I can't remember his name (not sure I ever got his name). But he had his hand all bandaged up where he said he cut it really bad trying to open some bottle of liquor.

Dholmblad
06-20-2008, 11:21
hah, yeah that is Daniel. We called him hippy dude, he used the phrase "mannn" alot Hes a pretty cool guy, me and two of my friends hiked the SNP about a month ago. We passed him a few times. He is legitimately homeless. I had heard stories of him being less then ethical, but we stayed at the same shelter as him about 4 times and I didn’t loose sleep over it.

He told some pretty crazy stories, and what he ate was strange. He told me how he ate a death cap mushroom because it looked "so pretty mannn"

Wake
06-21-2008, 13:41
I'm on the trail in SNP way too often and I can't say I've had the...fortune...of bumping into that guy myself, haha. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Blissful
06-21-2008, 15:19
Sorry all that happened to you. I have been through some bad stuff too prior to my big hike last year. Something always goes wrong, no matter how well you can plan. Planning can help alleviate some of the problems, but not always.

But if you want to get back on and hike again despite what has happened, that's a good sign. :)