PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness, late august conditions

hrm
06-17-2008, 20:54
hi, my father and a friend of his are going to hike the 100 mile wilderness this year, late august, southbound. i don't have experience there at thats time of year. so i have two questions:
1) what are the bugs like?
2) what are the crowds like?

thanks & take care,
austin

rafe
06-17-2008, 20:56
Neither bugs nor crowds will be a problem. You'll probably run into a few nobo thru-hikers, that's about it.

Lone Wolf
06-17-2008, 21:00
hi, my father and a friend of his are going to hike the 100 mile wilderness this year, late august, southbound. i don't have experience there at thats time of year. so i have two questions:

thanks & take care,
austin

no bugs, but quite a few NOBO types that started from springer that will tell you all about it and what's comin' up. disregard them

walkin' wally
06-17-2008, 21:01
Some of the best hiking happens at that time of year. The temps have cooled down some and the worst of the bug season has long past. Expect a little color in the trees and some cool mornings too.

I imagine most of the hikers you will meet will be nobos finishing up their thru hikes or some section/day hikers. Probably some crowds near shelters.

They should have a good time.

rafe
06-17-2008, 21:06
Not many day-hikers in the 100-mile, from my experience. You hike the whole thing or not at all. 'Least that's the way it used to be.

walkin' wally
06-17-2008, 21:29
Not many day-hikers in the 100-mile, from my experience. You hike the whole thing or not at all. 'Least that's the way it used to be.

Hi Terrapin,

We just use a car or truck drop on one end of a section and hike to it for a day such as the Gulf Hagas/Whitecap section or the stretch from Nahmakanta Lake outlet to the road south of Pollywog Gorge as two for instance. For tougher hikers there is Long Pond Stream to the KI Road. Across the Barren-Chairbacks. About 15 miles
There are dozens of logging roads that crisscross the 100 mile wilderness and they have been since the log drivers were forced off the rivers in the 1970's.
Day hikers should check out the Maine Atlas and Gazeteer by De Lorme Publishing.

rafe
06-17-2008, 21:44
Hello, Wally -- I'm in no position to argue. I remember some (dirt) road crossings -- but not a single car, and none of the usual houses, roads, farms, factories, or power lines in the distance. That's what made it so special.

I encountered anywhere from zero to maybe 8-10 hikers per day, and I seem to recall all of them had full packs, and most were thru-hikers, some that I'd started with in April. That hike was in Sept. '90. I'd love to do it again some day... but there are so many trails to walk.

Shutterbug
06-18-2008, 00:01

thanks & take care,
austin

I missed last year, but have hiked the 100 Mile wilderness the prior three falls. August isn't bad, but I prefer September or early October. The last time I hiked it, the crowds were only at the shelters and at Gulf Hagas. I prefer a hammock, so the full shelters were not a problem.

There will be a lot of day hikers at Gulf Hagas. The Gulf Hagas loop has become a very popular day hike. Each year there seem to be more people there.

They should consider having a pizza or hamburger at White House Landing on their second evening out. Bill and Linda need the business. At White House Landing, they can swap stories with a bunch of nobos who are close to the end of their hike.

If they are interested, there is cell phone coverage at several places in the 100 Mile Wilderness, mostly the high points and at White House Landing.

walkin' wally
06-18-2008, 07:50
Hello, Wally -- I'm in no position to argue. I remember some (dirt) road crossings -- but not a single car, and none of the usual houses, roads, farms, factories, or power lines in the distance. That's what made it so special.

I encountered anywhere from zero to maybe 8-10 hikers per day, and I seem to recall all of them had full packs, and most were thru-hikers, some that I'd started with in April. That hike was in Sept. '90. I'd love to do it again some day... but there are so many trails to walk.

No argument here. I enjoy reading your posts. :) You are right about "so many trails to walk."

TJ aka Teej
06-18-2008, 13:32
Your Dad will find a dry trail, fordable fords, full shelters, skinny furry GAMErs, warm days, and cool nights. Late August is the best of summertime on the AT in Maine. Prepare him for gangs of mice, waist high poison ivy, and wicked thunderstorms.

hrm
06-25-2008, 23:54
thank you all for your replies. we quite appreciate them. ;)

take care,
austin

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2008, 00:10
1. Skeeters can be bad then. Make sure these guys have Deet, and I mean
real stuff, like Ben's 100% The other stuff simply doesn't work.

2. Contrary to what others have said, you'll meet quite a few folks, most
heading North. Meaning you can't always rely on finding two spaces in a
shelter. (Cuz of bugs, tho, you probably won't want to shelter anyway).
So bring a good tent, or a tarp with good netting. Nearly all the shelters
in this section have good tentsites immediately adjacent or close to the
shelter.

3. Don't know the age or condition of the folks making this trip, but most
thru-hikers take around six and a half days to hike from Baxter State Park
to Monson. But they've been hiking for awhile and are in great shape. I'd
count on 7-9 days hiking, so plan your supplies or re-supplying
accordingly. The first few days from Baxter going South are quite easy,
but it'll get tougher.