PDA

View Full Version : circumstances beyond our control....

bigcranky
06-17-2008, 21:33
I was all set to leave on my 8-day section in central Virginia Saturday afternoon. My pack was by the back door, everything tucked inside. My wife gave me my "summer hiking" haircut (clippers with a #1 guard -- I look like the guy from Full Metal Jacket.) My partner and I were going to leave at 6am Sunday for the drive up to Daleville.

At 3pm the phone rang. It was my father. My mother had attempted to take her own life. He was at the emergency room. Outside Philadelphia. Ten hours away.

Not a good day.

She's okay now, medically. Alive and walking around. Not so well psychologically. She's in treatment and the docs are going to try to stabilize her meds and get her home in the next week or so. I just got home a few hours ago and I'm still shaking.

The take-away lesson for anyone is that anti-depressant medications can *raise the risk of suicide* when someone first starts taking them. Something I wish the psychiatrist had told my father a few weeks ago when she started mom on the new med.

I need to get out in the woods for a few days. See you all on the trail.

Heater
06-17-2008, 21:36
Whoa! Hope everything works out OK.

ed bell
06-17-2008, 21:39
bigcranky,
Hang in there. I will say a prayer for you. Not everyone can have empathy for your situation, but I wish for you and your family the strength overcome this.

camojack
06-17-2008, 21:49
I was all set to leave on my 8-day section in central Virginia Saturday afternoon. My pack was by the back door, everything tucked inside. My wife gave me my "summer hiking" haircut (clippers with a #1 guard -- I look like the guy from Full Metal Jacket.) My partner and I were going to leave at 6am Sunday for the drive up to Daleville.
At 3pm the phone rang. It was my father. My mother had attempted to take her own life. He was at the emergency room. Outside Philadelphia. Ten hours away.
Not a good day.
She's okay now, medically. Alive and walking around. Not so well psychologically. She's in treatment and the docs are going to try to stabilize her meds and get her home in the next week or so. I just got home a few hours ago and I'm still shaking.
The take-away lesson for anyone is that anti-depressant medications can *raise the risk of suicide* when someone first starts taking them. Something I wish the psychiatrist had told my father a few weeks ago when she started mom on the new med.

I need to get out in the woods for a few days. See you all on the trail.
Outside Philadelphia is where I live.

I read somewhere once that Prozac for example can actually make things worse in some instances.

In any case, FWIW, I just said a prayer for your mother. Here's hoping everything works out...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-17-2008, 21:52
:( ::: Dino wraps loving tail around Big Cranky and says prayers for his family ::: :(

rafe
06-17-2008, 21:55
Hey, bigcranky, that's tough news. I went through a similar scene with my father years ago. Not sure about VA, but in NY, if you attempt suicide, you're put in in-patient psychiatric care for some time. The docs wouldn't let him go home until he "promised" never to try it again. :rolleyes:

JAK
06-17-2008, 21:57
Sounds like a walk in the woods will do you good. Prayers for your mom.
Her is a poem I just wrote, maybe cheer someone up. Can't hurt right?

October wish I'd told her

October, wish I'd told her
Before like leaves her eyes gave way;
November, thoughts once so tender,
Now beneath cold ground put away.
December, thought I saw her,
Felt her light but could not believe;
January, starts without me,
Heart lies awake but cannot heave.

February, what's that that stirs me,
What warms my face in this frosted sun;
March, wind passing through larch,
Bringing word a new Spring has come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUkL5YQJfEo

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2008, 22:25
Glad you could be there for your family, Sometimes it is the medications mixing with alcohol, don't just blame the med by itself. The doctor should be more forthcoming. This is why we look at all the side affects when someone prescribes a medication to our family. I hope this works out for you.

Mark

Trillium
06-17-2008, 22:31
oh bigcranky, my thoughts and prayers go out for you, your mom and the rest of the family.

modiyooch
06-17-2008, 22:36
All medicines have side effects. Have to weigh the pros and cons. For me, walking in the woods is medicinal. I wish your Mother the best.

Hoop
06-17-2008, 22:39
Sorry to hear that, bc. Hope it works out ok for your mom.

double d
06-17-2008, 22:42
BigCranky, God bless you and your family and as long as your mother has you and your family, she will be ok.

peanuts
06-17-2008, 23:04
ken, sorry to hear about your mom. my prayers and good thought for you and your family...hang in there!!

dmax
06-17-2008, 23:13
I wish you and your family some peace through these hard times. Its times like these that you foind out who your family and friends are.
My favorite anti-deperessant is in the woods, on the AT. Find a special spot for you and your mom.

River Runner
06-18-2008, 01:05
Prayers for your family Big Cranky. I know from the experience of my sister-in-law that sometimes it is hard for the doctors to get the medication dosage right. The reassuring thing is that once they do your mom should feel much better. It makes a world of difference with my sister-in-law.

TIDE-HSV
06-18-2008, 01:18
I really feel for you. My wife is bipolar, but she's only had two manic episodes, leading to hospitalization, in her life. Both were in response to anti-depressants...

Heater
06-18-2008, 05:04
I really feel for you. My wife is bipolar, but she's only had two manic episodes, leading to hospitalization, in her life. Both were in response to anti-depressants...

My brother... only one episode.

...but SWAT showed up. :eek:

I think it was all waaaaay overblown.

media, yaknow.

What triggered this is when he was shot in the face when he confronted some punk-assed "gangstas" that were pissing on our RV. I was there. They missed me... Sucks...

He refused the drugs and is OK now. He is an inspiration to me 'cause I know he still fights this. People "trying to get him." He has overcome so much and now realizes and deals with it. I am not so sure I have. You know, seeing my brother shot and all... sucks...

Heater
06-18-2008, 05:14
Sorry. Didn't mean to drift on this thread. Sorry about that.
Please disregard my above post.

If a mod can delete it, that'd be great.

Skidsteer
06-18-2008, 18:31
I don't think it was thread drift at all.

People do things and behave in certain ways for reasons. They may be good reasons, bad reasons, or indifferent reasons but they're still the reason and that's the way it is.

Prayers for you and your Mom, Big Cranky. And for your bro, Austexs.

Pete Moss
06-18-2008, 19:06
Lost a friend in HS to this about ten yrs ago. He was accidentally double dosing and three days later.....

heart goes out to you and yours

bigcranky
06-18-2008, 21:19
Thanks, everybody, for your thoughts and prayers (and especially the tail hug.) I truly appreciate all your concern, and your own experiences. My mom is doing a little better, but it'll be a while until we know anything definite. I'm heading out for a few days in the woods. I need to clear my head a little, and there's nothing like a few 1500 foot climbs to do that. (Yes, I am bringing a cell phone :o)

Tinker
06-18-2008, 22:45
The woods are one of the best anti-depressants.
I'll be praying for you, your mom, and the entire situation. God will have to do the rest.
Take care.

Sailor (The other one)
06-19-2008, 05:53
Been close to that myself. When I first took Prozac my anxiety went through the roof. Luckily, I had a best friend - with his own similar struggles - who helped me through it. Once I acclimated, the meds helped.
I was a conselor for 12 years and have worked with many suffering depression and anxiety. You're right, the doctor should have said something.
I feel for you, your family and your mom.
Best wishes.