PDA

View Full Version : Kilts

2XL
02-17-2004, 23:29
I have been looking around to find different affordable hiking kilts. So many choices of materials. Cottons, poly blends, wool.
What should I be looking for?
I'm assuming I should stay away from cotton.

Blue Jay
02-18-2004, 08:47
I have been looking around to find different affordable hiking kilts. So many choices of materials. Cottons, poly blends, wool.

Go to Good Will or Salvation Army. You will find many tough fabric, synthetic skirts. Don't worry as long as you stay away from flowered prints the males on the trail will call it a Kilt. Their minds cannot stand thinking any other way.

Haiku
02-18-2004, 10:47
Sport Kilt (http://www.sportkilt.com) sells off the rack kilts for $60-70, made of poly/viscose material. They aren't fancy, but they are comfortable.
Bear Kilts (http://www.bearkilts.com) sells tailored poly/viscose kilts for $90 (4-yard kilt) or $180 (8-yard kilt). These are much better quality (and what I will be hiking in starting March 1), but because they're tailored they take 8 weeks or so to get.

Haiku.

JimSproul
02-18-2004, 10:55
In the old days, in the old country a kilt was just a length of fabric. Usually about 9 yards. That is how we got the phrase "Whole nine yards".

I hike in shorts BUT for a couple of years now I have carried a "Rain Kilt" instead of rain pants. See Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker for an alternative. My Rain Kilt is a yard of coated ripstop fabric about 60" wide. Used with tall gaiters it makes for better, warmer, drier hiking then any combination I have tried in the past. We got caught in sleet/snow/rain on a 12,000 footer in New Mexico last summer and it worked like a champ. Cost was about $6.

Just a though....... :rolleyes:

Blue Jay
02-18-2004, 10:58
I agree it is very important to have your kilt tailored. Does anyone have a list of the Liz Claiborn outlets along the trail?

Needles
02-18-2004, 14:20

I would agree that you should stay away from 100% cotton, a kilt will probably be a bit heavier than a pair of nylon shorts no matter which type you choose and a soaking wet cotton kilt would not only weigh you down but be a bit uncomfortable as well. Sportkilt makes a simple, relatively inexpensive, polyester kilt that works well on the trail (I own 2 of them myself) and Utilikilts makes a couple of models from a 65%/35% poly cotton blend which also works quite well (I own 5 Utilikilts and work for the company). Utilikilts aren't cheap, but they also aren't expensive for what they are.
If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try my best to help.

okpik
02-18-2004, 14:56
Got my sport kilt on Ebay for half price.

dgodwin7
02-18-2004, 15:21
In the old days, in the old country a kilt was just a length of fabric. Usually about 9 yards. That is how we got the phrase "Whole nine yards".

I hike in shorts BUT for a couple of years now I have carried a "Rain Kilt" instead of rain pants. See Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker for an alternative. My Rain Kilt is a yard of coated ripstop fabric about 60" wide. Used with tall gaiters it makes for better, warmer, drier hiking then any combination I have tried in the past. We got caught in sleet/snow/rain on a 12,000 footer in New Mexico last summer and it worked like a champ. Cost was about $6.

Just a though....... :rolleyes:

Jim, any chance that 12k footer happens to be Baldy Mountain? Philmont is such a great place to learn about backpacking. It truely is Scouting Paradise.

I don't a whole lot about kilts....but a friend of mine uses his regularly to change in and out of his bike shorts at the end of a ride. Saves the world from a "full moon"
-Dave

bearbait2k4
02-18-2004, 15:36
You guys are spending way too much time on trying to figure out kilts.

Why don't you just wear a sarong - - get some manly, plaid material and chances are, there will be few that know the difference.

Blue Jay
02-20-2004, 09:26
You guys are spending way too much time on trying to figure out kilts.

Why don't you just wear a sarong - - get some manly, plaid material and chances are, there will be few that know the difference.

You're missing the point, you cannot say the word sarong, you must say the majic manly word "Kilt".

Shoe Leather Express
02-23-2004, 01:46
You are wrong, sir. The phrase "the whole nine yards" is from World War II. When the tail gunners on bombers emptied an entire can of .50 cal ammo they gave the enemy "the whole nine yards." One ammo can of belted .50 cal ammo is/was 9 yards.

bearbait2k4
02-23-2004, 11:28
You're missing the point, you cannot say the word sarong, you must say the majic manly word "Kilt".
I think the point of seeming manly gets skewed completely when a bunch of guys are talking about the price and shopping/ordering information for skirts they want to buy!

okpik
02-23-2004, 16:13
I think the point of seeming manly gets skewed completely when a bunch of guys are talking about the price and shopping/ordering information for skirts they want to buy!

If you don't chafe in pants or shorts than I guess everything ain't bigger in TX
If ya do chafe try it ya just might like it, it's cool and free in the breeze.

I dont understand Hammock use, tried it and it's not for me. Don't make it wierd to discuss man or woman. Why should this be different.

I am very much a man and as the advertising says on the sports kilt site, Wearing one makes ya a man and a half.

bearbait2k4
02-24-2004, 01:44
I don't understand why everyone assumes that the people posting on this and any other trail page are men.

Besides, I was joking, so don't get your panties in a bunch.

okpik
02-24-2004, 06:30
My appologies to you if I wrongly tried to attach the incorrect organs in the incorrect spot. I was basically being humorous as well.

I try to look at a persons user info first but females are famous for covering gender because some belittle or even terrorize them.

See, if we all wore a kilt it wouldn't matter :D :D

Doctari
02-26-2004, 21:31
I have seen many posts on kilts & related interest here. Even a few on tartans. And as this seems to be the newest on kilts, thought I would post this here:

There is a tartan Museum at 86 East Main Street, Franklin NC 28734, a few (11.4) miles from the AT. Winding stair gap go east down a looooooooooong hill. So if you are planning on a mail drop in Franklin, look it up.

Drove past it once, regretfully didn’t stop. Drat.

Doctari.