PDA

View Full Version : Exact directions to Springer (not Amicalola)

Bruce Hudson
06-17-2008, 23:15
On another thread I was convinced to find a shuttle (my kid who lives in Asheville) to Springer leaving my car in Hot Springs. As I was afraid people wouldn't check that old thread I'm starting a new one looking for exact directions (directions my kid can get in and get out with) to take me to the actual beginning of the trail at Springer.

Bruce Hudson

emerald
06-17-2008, 23:24
Trail Approaches To Springer Mountain

The shortest approach involves driving north of Springer to where the A.T. crosses USFS Road #42, then hiking south on the white-blazed A.T. one mile to the summit of Springer Mountain.

Directions: From GA Hwy. 52, 9.5 miles east of Amicalola Falls State Park or 8.5 miles west of Dahlonega, turn north at Grizzle's old store (closed, sign for store is damaged). Go 2.0 miles and turn right on USFS Road #28 (look for sign that points to Georgia Wildlife Management Area on left and sign to Jones Creek Road on right). After 2.2 miles, bear left at fork onto USFS Road #77 and go 5.1 miles. Take hard left onto USFS Road #42 and go 2.7 miles to A.T., passing a Benton MacKaye Trail crossing (diamond blazes) along the way. There is a large parking area along north side of road.

Alternate directions: From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads). Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area on north side of road.

NOTE: These Forest Service roads can be quite rough, and may be impassable by car or van in winter or very wet weather. Contact the Chattahoochee National Forest Toccoa Ranger District in Blue Ridge, Georgia (706) 632-3031 for current road conditions.

Bulldawg
06-17-2008, 23:54
Here is how I go to Springer. Take Business Hwy 19 north out of downtown Dahlonega. You will think you are out of town, pass the high school and start looking for Camp Wahsega Road on your left. There should be a sign for US Army Camp Frank D Merrill there. If you get to the intersection with the Dahlonega bypass, you have passed your road. Follow Camp Wahsega Road all the way to the US Army Ranger Camp Frank D Merrill, you will know when you get there, trust me! Take the right up the forest service road. Follow it to the top of the gap, Coopers Gap to be exact. Take a left here, this is FS42. This road leads all the way to the parking area at Springer, about 9 miles.

The other directions work, but I have seen both of those routes get in bad shape. This route is just a tick under 30 miles from downtown Dahlonega, I have always been able to drive an Acura Integra up it, and can be there from Dahlonega in about 40-45 minutes.

If you need directions to Dahlonega, let me know.

Bulldawg
06-17-2008, 23:57
I just went to Google maps, searched for Dahlonega, GA, zoomed in;the entire route I just gave you is viewable all the way to Springer. Springer parking lot is about 3 miles past where you see Winding Stair Gap Road (FS77) come in on the google map.

max patch
06-18-2008, 08:32
All things being equal (it depends where you are starting from) the best way to Springer is via Elijay (the "alternate directions" per the GATC. The next best way is via Dahlonega as described by Bulldawg. I sure wish the GATC would revise their webpage to reflect this.

I also wish they'd put a sign at the Springer lot showing the way to Springer. You'd be surprised how many people out for a stroll in the woods don't know which way to go when they reach the parking area.

Bruce Hudson
06-18-2008, 09:36
Just checked it out on Google maps-- thanks a lot. Hopefully I'll be there late
tomorrow afteroon.

Bruce Hudson

Bulldawg
06-18-2008, 09:47
All things being equal (it depends where you are starting from) the best way to Springer is via Elijay (the "alternate directions" per the GATC. The next best way is via Dahlonega as described by Bulldawg. I sure wish the GATC would revise their webpage to reflect this.

I also wish they'd put a sign at the Springer lot showing the way to Springer. You'd be surprised how many people out for a stroll in the woods don't know which way to go when they reach the parking area.

There is a new sign, but it is on the opposite side from the lot, about 10 yards up the trail.