PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Baxter S.P.

Slim aka Nancy
06-17-2008, 23:53
Today Bogey and I have finished 1090 miles from Springer to Pine Grove Furnace S.P. & returned to home for a few days and are now trying to find clear directions to Baxter from Baltimore, MD. The Handbook says that SOBO's are not considered thru-hikers so we will not be able to stay at the Birches. What have you folks done. BTW is there an area here on Whirblaze for SOBO hikers? Thanks
SLIM aka Nancy

rafe
06-17-2008, 23:55
Woo hoo! Congrats on the 1090 miles!

warraghiyagey
06-18-2008, 00:58
Stay at Katahdin Stream. It's on the AT and the Hunt Trail is beautiful. You'll love it. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!:sun

emerald
06-18-2008, 17:53
BTW is there an area here on Whiteblaze for SOBO hikers?

SLIM aka Nancy

Click on Southbound thru-hikers (MEGA) (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=422) to go to that sub-forum.

orangebug
06-18-2008, 20:04
Or go to the thread titled SOBO 08's sound off.

The drill is to get to Portland via plane, bus or train; get to Bangor via car or bus (I suggest the bus) and bus to Medway. Then you will arrange to get picked up or hitch from Medway into Millinocket. Next day you will go to Baxter. Make reservations at the Katahdin Campground ASAP for 2 nights. First night is to get to Katahdin and play around, obsess over gear and get some rest. Next day is early (5-6AM) to hit the Hunt Trail and a very long round trip 10.4 mile hike. Second night is to be exhausted before you hike out of the park.

peakbagger
06-18-2008, 20:08
Directions to BSP from Baltimore. Turn right onto I -95 north and turn left off of I 95 in Medway Maine. Public transportation plan is Amtrak to South station in Boston, then catch a bus to Portland or take the T to North station and ride to Portland Maine. In Portland take the bus to Medway. In Medway to BSP there is no public transportation, but there is a lot of traffic through there to the park. A cardboard sign should get you a ride.Follow signs to BSP through East Millinocket. Stop by at BSP headquarters in Millinocket (just down the side road from McDonalds) and sse if you can get some last minute cancelations. Check the BSP website for rules on the sites that are held for last minute reservations by Maine residents they eventually get released to anyone. Be aware that you should reserve a site near the base of the Katahdin as there are many sites in the park that are more than an hour away from the base.

mudhead
07-20-2008, 18:50
For those headed to Millinocket, ME. McD's is being rebuilt. No fries for you.

Might be set back a little, but about the same spot. Dunkin Donuts ahead on right.

If you are headed into KStream. Sites are $20 this year for one. I assume this is the minimum (was $18.) Per person was $9.

On your way in, if you are a stand up kind of guy, be aware that the seat at the Abol Day use area will not stay up by itself.

Gas was $4.16 in Millinocket/Medway. $4.05 in Brewer, ME. ( Place in Bangor, out a ways, $3.89. There were lines I heard.)