PDA

View Full Version : Six Moon Design Lunar solo tent/tarp

nova
06-18-2008, 11:53
I recently acquired a Lunar Solo for a 2 month section hike of the AT during July and August. Is there anyone that has any feed back on this product? Nova

Footslogger
06-18-2008, 12:15
I recently acquired a Lunar Solo for a 2 month section hike of the AT during July and August. Is there anyone that has any feed back on this product? Nova
=============================

Have owned/used one for over 3 years now. Excellent shelter for one person and their gear. In a pinch you can even get 2 "compatible" hikers in one.

Only Six Moon Design shelter I like more, mainly for weight, is the Wild Oasis.

Pretty hard to beat the Lunar Solo though in terms of space at 23 ounces.

'Slogger

Bearpaw
06-18-2008, 12:40
I love mine, though in cool humid conditions condensation can be noticeable. Even then, it's not generally bad. I LOVE the views to the front when the vestibule flaps are pulled back. I've ridden out a couple of severe storms in mine and it held up very well.

Having used it extensively on the Colorado and John Muir Trails, I can put it up consistently in under 3 minutes. Even starting out, I could pitch it in about 5. I don't understand the complaints I sometimes hear about it being awkward to pitch.

OutdoorsMan
06-18-2008, 15:47
I have had a Solo for about 2 months and used in on a 50 mile section hike of the AT. I do think that pitching it takes some practice. My pad slips around a lot on the floor. I think that I have found a solution - some seam sealer on the floor should help. I have stayed very dry in mine during a downpour, I like the space (I am 6'3" tall). Overall, I am very satisfied. What about the Duo? That tent looks like a palace and seems to have a decent wind-shedding shape to it.

Footslogger
06-18-2008, 16:47
I have had a Solo for about 2 months and used in on a 50 mile section hike of the AT. I do think that pitching it takes some practice. My pad slips around a lot on the floor. I think that I have found a solution - some seam sealer on the floor should help. I have stayed very dry in mine during a downpour, I like the space (I am 6'3" tall). Overall, I am very satisfied. What about the Duo? That tent looks like a palace and seems to have a decent wind-shedding shape to it.
=================================

Read over the following article:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

I did this to all my silnylon tent floors and have never had a slippage problem again.

'Slogger

nova
06-18-2008, 20:32
i have four stripes of seam sealer on my floor spaced about 10 inches. i don't move an inch all night. its the way to go. nova

McPick
06-19-2008, 11:32
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html

Great article, Slog... Thanks!

buz
06-20-2008, 09:15
That article/way to truly waterproof anything silnylon is simply outstanding. I used it on my floor on my Contrail both inside and out. No more slipping, and it is so waterproof, I eliminated my groundsheet. And since I am the rain bringer of epic deluges at least once on every hike, I treated the fly on my tent as well on the outside. No more misting during heavy rains. Sure my tent gained some minimal ounces, haven't weighed it before and after, but I eliminated the ground sheet, probably a trade off.

chili36
06-20-2008, 13:45
I have the Europa and it is bomb proof in the rain. However, condensation is an issue. My wife and I both sleep in it on weekend trips and is roomy enough for two.

However, I am looking at the lunar duo, but have mixed reviews with it in high wind.

If I were going to get a solo tent, it would most likely be the lunar solo. I haven't heard anyone give a bad review.

10-K
06-21-2008, 14:51
I have a Lunar Solo and a Lunar Duo. If there is any way you can squeeze in carrying an extra pound you will not regret taking the Duo. I'm serious - the amount of space available in the Lunar Duo is just incrediible.

My son and I are both 6'3" and we can both get in the Duo with a bunch of our "stuff" and still have room to move around without cramping each other. Plus there are the 2 vestibules plenty big enough for boots and to cook under. I especially like it hiking by myself. I can get everything I am carrying in there with all kinds of space left. Think efficiency apartment compared to mansion - that's the difference.

Bearpaw mentioned riding out a storm in his Solo. If you have to ride out a storm you'd rather be in the Duo. I've got both and you can trust me on that.

And regarding pitching the Solo (or the Duo) - I found that I got better over time. At first I couldn't get a good pitch to save my life. With practice I can now get a nice, taunt tent setup in just a few minutes. Though it is important to cinch it down in about an hour after the fabric stretches.

I have 2 piece of hiking gear that I think are close to perfect - one is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo and the other is my ULA Catalyst pack.