PDA

View Full Version : Clothing For Early March?

eldwayno
02-18-2004, 02:13
I'll be heading out from Amicalola Falls State Park in about three weeks. I'm wondering whether I'm being overkill with my clothing or if I'll be fine. I know it's been a pretty cold winter so far so here's what I'll be starting with:

Top:
Midweight Polypro Top
S/S Hiking Shirt (2)
L/S Lightweight Top
Fleece Jacket
Primaloft Jacket
Breathable Rain Jacket

Bottom:
Fleece Pants
Midweight Polypro tights
Nylon Shorts (2)
Breathable Rain Pants

Any suggestions? Comments?

komodo
02-18-2004, 03:04
I, too, will be starting in early March. (Three weeks from yesterday, specifically). This is what I'll be taking:

Top:

S/S Silkweight Polypro
L/S Polyester hiking shirt
Primaloft Pullover
Breathable Rainjacket

Bottom:

Midweight Polypro long underwear
Convertible nylon pants
Breathable rain pants

Other:

Fleece hat
Fleece gloves

This is somewhat less than what you're carrying, and it has served me well in the couple of practice hikes I've done over the past month. I think if I put on all of that clothing at once, I think I would be quite toasty at twenty degrees-- and if it gets any colder than that, it's probably the middle of the night, and I'll be tucked inside my nice, warm WM Ultralite. :)

So, anyway, I'd say you're carrying too much. At the least, I'd say you could ditch either the Primaloft or the Fleece, one of your short sleeve shirts and one pair of nylon shorts. But that's just my opinion.

Brushy Sage
02-18-2004, 12:18
I started Mar 4, and was definitely glad I had brought fleece jacket and pants. There will be some cold nights, and, especially if you get caught in a storm during the day, you'll be very grateful to have the fleece on while you prepare your meal and when you get up in the morning.

Jaybird
02-18-2004, 12:26
I started Mar 4, and was definitely glad I had brought fleece jacket and pants. There will be some cold nights, and, especially if you get caught in a storm during the day, you'll be very grateful to have the fleece on while you prepare your meal and when you get up in the morning.

..."Fleece is our friend!"...

March-April-early May can be quite cool to downright cold in the mountains...looks like a good list. I've hiked the A.T. in all 3 months (section-hikes, & day hikes)...& have been very comfortable with similar gear you mention. (sans the fleece pants).

if ya'll are on the slower pace...might get to meet you in person...late April-first week of May up near Clingmans to Hot Springs! ;)

seeya UP the trail!

eldwayno
02-20-2004, 21:05
well being a youngin I'm sure I'll be a little beyond that... but perhaps if I decide to yo-yo, which has been crossing my mind for some time, I might be back down your way say... november maybe.

A-Train
02-20-2004, 21:38
Your list looks pretty good. I'd assume your bringing hat, gloves, mitten covers and xtra socks too. You should be plenty warm. I don;t recommend bringing 2 shorts sleeve t-shirts tho. Most hikers wear the same tee everyday until it wears out or they hit Katahdin. Unless your dying for a town shirt, i'd leave the xtra cuz you'll stink either way. What rated bag do you have?

eldwayno
02-20-2004, 22:29
I've got a 25 degree EMS down bag and a thermo lite Sleeping bag liner that's supposed to add another 15 degrees to that

bobgessner57
02-21-2004, 10:18
March, April and even May are or can be winter on the crest. I have experienced 6 degrees at 10 am at Neels Gap in early March, three foot drifts in the Smokies mid March and plenty of icy bone chilling cold in April. My experience is that many through hikers, especially from other parts of the country grossly underestimate the probable conditions at elevation here in the sometimes not so sunny south. I would err on the side of heavy to have plenty of warm dry clothing. Many nobos send home their warm stuff at the first drop after a few warm days-big mistake. Hypothermia is not your friend.
The fashion right now is to slash weight but you need to know your limits. Lists are subjective- my cold weather gear is much lighter than what my wife or daughter require for the same conditions. My thoughts are tempered by having had the pleasures of dealing with hypothermic people in the woods, toting a victim out on a stokes litter and having to rework my plans because of a hypothermia death in the Smokies many years ago (in march).

Kozmic Zian
02-21-2004, 11:04
Yea....Cold. Bob's absolutely right. Err on the side of warmth, not weight, if leaving in early March. Fleece Jacket, Fleece Pants, Polypro ls shirt, and pants. Good seam sealed rain gear. Liners, gloves, over/gloves....ear covers, or balaclava(preferably). Warm socks and water proof boots....you'll have a hard time in running shoes or lightweights if it snows and gets slopy. It's nice to think about ultra-lighting the whole Trail, but not very practical in very cold and wet/snowy conditions. Think about it........KZ@

eldwayno
02-21-2004, 12:43
I wasn't really aiming for ultralight... I mean I'll probably have about 45#'s in the beginning and end, and about 35 to 40#'s the rest of the time. I was just checking in with the folks that frequent the springer area in early march so I would know if I'd be alright with this. Plus from what I've been hearing it's been a rather cold winter for the south, and one pound 7 oz's for a really warm primaloft jacket will be worth it's weight for some of those early mornins.