PDA

View Full Version : water filter, is one necessary?

wolfsbane
06-18-2008, 15:14
hey everyone, Im a newb so I was wondering if a filter was necessary or if you would be ok with just a pre filter and a UV stick to kill bacteria? I love the looks of the new msr hyperflow.... its so hard to not let coolness be a factor haha

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 15:17
i've never used a filter or treatment. just drink freely

Tin Man
06-18-2008, 15:26
Drink freely if you know what is uphill and you are sure there are no roads, shelters, privies, houses, farms, beaver ponds, nuclear waste dumps, etc.

Lyle
06-18-2008, 15:26
I usually use Aqua Mira - light, no taste. Occasionally, just drink, no treatment.

Filters are nice, but HEAVY. Also must protect from cross-contamination.

UV is interesting, but need batteries, and not effective in murky water.

Other option is not treating at all, but I don't think people should be trying to convince others of that.

It is all just personal choice and comfort level.

OutdoorsMan
06-18-2008, 15:33
I agree with everything that Lyle posted above.

Tin Man
06-18-2008, 15:35
All of the responses so far should automatically appear every time the question is asked. ;)

minnesotasmith
06-18-2008, 15:44
hey everyone, Im a newb so I was wondering if a filter was necessary...

Aqua Mira (field source of Chlorine Dioxide, better-tasting and more effective than Sodium Hypochlorite/Bleach) works fine. Easily 60% as many recent thruhikers use it as use filters. IMO it's especially more advantageous than filters in winter (no clog/fragility issues) or for ULers.

I'd prefilter your water, though. A bandanna will do. I used coffee filters.

UV sticks? For industrial facilities, where there's one-way flow through under controlled conditions, and QA/QC tests, sure. I don't trust them in a hiking situation.

Lyle
06-18-2008, 15:48
Now Tin Man, we have to give the Potable Aqua and Polar Pure folks a chance to chime in, not to mention the boilers out there. Also, what about the bottle thread discussion?

A lot of posts missing here so far...

rafe
06-18-2008, 15:50
There's very little proof of the efficacy of filters or water treatment. But I carry one anyway. Luck, skill and internal constitution are part of the equation.

Mags
06-18-2008, 15:57
From http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=33

On a topic related to hydration, is the topic of water treatment. Most of the time, it is almost impossible to carry enough water for an entire trip. Luckily, except in desert hiking, water is obtainable fairly frequently. But, you may have to treat your water. There can be nasties in the backcountry that can ruin a trip in the long term if bad water is drunk.

Some people will drink out of every cow-pattie infested, smelly water puddle without even using a drop of iodine. Others will filter, treat chemically and boil water three times before drinking from the clearest Sierra spring 12000 feet above anything. Most people are somewhere in between. This document will not go into the various arguments about water (or lack of) treatment, but sufficient to say most people do use some form of water treatment.

Four common ways to treat water are:

1) Boiling Boiling water to a rolling boil will kill nasties in the water. But, it takes very long, makes the water tastes flat, and uses lots of fuel. Most use boiling as a last resort only

2) Chemically Using iodine is the old standby for water treatment up until recently. Typically known as “Portable Aqua” these tabs will treat one liter of water each. They take longer to treat water than a filter/purifier but are lighter and less complex than the filters. Iodine does have an aftertaste that some people do not like. You can also use iodine crystals (i.e. Polar Pure) and a newer chemical treatment known as Aqua Mira. Aqua Mira takes less time to treat water than iodine and is a two stage chemical process.

3) Filters/Purifiers Filters and purifiers are for most people the standard tool in the backpacker’s water treatment arsenal. Though they are heavier, bulkier and can break down/clog, they will treat water quickly and without a chemical after taste. If using a filter, be sure to keep the intake (dirty water) and output (clean water) hoses separate.

4) Steripen The equipment of choice for geeks! :) This pen-like device uses UV radiation to sterilize water. Besides being a bit expensive (~$80 online), it also depends upon batteries. Its main attraction is that it is quicker than other methods of treating water.

Finally, be sure to wash your hands after “doing #2” and before eating. A simple bottle of Purrell (alcohol based hand sanitizer) can do wonders to prevent GI illnesses (tummy ache and the runs to non-medical types like me!). No point in treating water if you are sticking a dirty hand in your food..or worse yet, you may stick YOUR dirty hand in someone else's GORP. Yeeech!

Filters, Steripens and, to a lesser extent, chemical treatment can be shared among multiple people.

Tin Man
06-18-2008, 16:04
Now Tin Man, we have to give the Potable Aqua and Polar Pure folks a chance to chime in, not to mention the boilers out there. Also, what about the bottle thread discussion?

A lot of posts missing here so far...

Yup. And wash your hands after you visit the privy or the like. Or just visit Mags website.

Homer&Marje
06-18-2008, 16:06
i have been using an msr filter for 13 years i carry that and aqua mira or iodine! Drink freely until you get giardia, then if you make it to a town before you collapse from dehydration from constant diahrea pick up your nearest filter system! (Drink freely if you want, where you want, but don't tell others too, that's irresponsible. Happy Trails

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 16:10
(Drink freely if you want, where you want, but don't tell others too, that's irresponsible. Happy Trails

if i told you to jump off the brooklyn bridge would you do it? :-?

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2008, 16:19
I Don't use them.

Kilo1
06-18-2008, 16:23
I can't understand the need for a purifier, just use common sense and don't drink still water, I'm sure you will be all right. I carry chlorine tablets but they are for emergency only, such as being immobilized and having to drink still water. In the army on a survival course one instructor made us purify marsh water and drink it. It didn't taste good but if you need it to survive, you'll do just fine.

Mags
06-18-2008, 16:34
The problem with these "one size fits all answers" is that everyone is different.

I rarely treat my water. But, I also have a cast-iron stomach and can gauge the water pretty well (knock on wood. Hoping my experience bears this fact out) and I am not particularly picky about my water.

But that's me.

Others may not want random twigs, rocks and dirt in the water (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=15316). :)

Some hikers want quick treatment, others want simple, still others want to be safe.

There's a lot of experience on this board. But, with all this experience, there are many ways to do something. And they are all correct.

People who treat water aren't "weenies". People, like Wolf and myself, who don't treat water probably have enough experience to know they can drink (just about) whatever they want w/o treating.

So look at the various methods (or lack of) and choose what works well for you, the situation and other factors that may come into play.

airinpie
06-18-2008, 16:45
i use a filter. but i'm not a fan of crippling diarrhea. :o

tlbj6142
06-18-2008, 16:45
I can't understand the need for a purifier, just use common sense and don't drink still water, From what I understand "still water" is actually cleaner than moving water as the Sun's UV light kills the nasty stuff in top several inches.

But for whatever reason, moving water does "appear" to be cleaner.

CherrypieScout
06-18-2008, 16:47
coffee filters get the swimmwer out, then treat with some type of chemical tablet or drops

Bear Cables
06-18-2008, 16:56
I have moved from a MSR Sweetwater filter pump to Aquamire tablets. Water is good to go in 30 min. if its spring or flowing water. I would wait the full 4 hours if standing water. Anyway I am really interested in the steripen. Quick, no chemical taste. I could ditch my self filter bottle that I use while waiting the 30 min..But I do always purify.

paradoxb3
06-18-2008, 17:06
I've got a pump filter, but am ready to replace it with chemicals due to weight and frustrations with keeping things clean and dealing with inlet/outlet hoses.

I dont hear a whole lot about Polar Pure, however it seems like a great option to me. I've used Potable Aqua tabs, and dont mind their iodine taste, but from what i hear, one bottle of Polar Pure is enough to last a whole thru-hike. That right there would be enough reason for me to carry it... Is there a down side to it? Anyone care to chime in about Polar Pure?

minnesotasmith
06-18-2008, 17:09
From the manufacturer's website: http://www.aquamira.com

They now carry a 2-ounce size, in addition to the 1-ounce one so many of us have relied upon while backpacking. It's twice the volume of treated water for only two bucks more. I've e-mailed them to find out if its bottle tips, mixing cup, etc., are as convenient to use for small (1-liter) volumes, and will post here if/when they message me back with that info.

deeddawg
06-18-2008, 17:15
Polar Pure is iodine. Difference from that to the Potable Aqua tabs is Polar Pure uses iodine crystals; you add water to the bottle and wait an hour, then pour capfuls of the iodine solution into the water to be treated, then wait the requisite time. They recommend you just carry the bottle with water in it so you don't have to wait that first hour.

Check out Aqua Mira as an alternative to iodine; it's a two part mix to form a chlorine dioxide solution. (ClO2 is used in municipal water systems)

Alligator
06-18-2008, 17:29
I've got a pump filter, but am ready to replace it with chemicals due to weight and frustrations with keeping things clean and dealing with inlet/outlet hoses.

I dont hear a whole lot about Polar Pure, however it seems like a great option to me. I've used Potable Aqua tabs, and dont mind their iodine taste, but from what i hear, one bottle of Polar Pure is enough to last a whole thru-hike. That right there would be enough reason for me to carry it... Is there a down side to it? Anyone care to chime in about Polar Pure?The taste isn't as strong as the Potable Aqua tabs.

I recently switched to a Sawyer inline filter. Has a lifetime guarentee. It's comparable in weight to Polar Pur. I have no problem with the flow rate and I've used it as a gravity filter. I've only had it out once though, and will again in a few weeks. I like it so far.

rafe
06-18-2008, 17:33

i've seen a guy jump off a bridge, at your suggestion. s'truth.

trailmomma4
06-18-2008, 19:34
I use a water bottle with a carbon filter built in. But then, I hike with my two sons and don't want to take any chances with them or me getting sick on the trail. I guess it would just be a question of how big of a risk taker you are...:) Just call me a weenie (if you must)

TIDE-HSV
06-18-2008, 19:39
The cross-contamination is an issue with all methods. The only time I tried boiling was on a pack where I spent several days on a lake in the western side of the Wind Rivers. There was a resident beaver, about 3' long, sans tail. (Out west, they call giardia "beaver fever".) I was boiling but, stupidly, I rinsed in the lake, negating the boiling. I actually made it home before I got sick and it was a really miserable form of GE illness. On top of that, the anti-parasitic drug required three weeks of zero alcohol intake...

rafe
06-18-2008, 19:57

I dont hear a whole lot about Polar Pure, however it seems like a great option to me. I've used Potable Aqua tabs, and dont mind their iodine taste, but from what i hear, one bottle of Polar Pure is enough to last a whole thru-hike. That right there would be enough reason for me to carry it... Is there a down side to it? Anyone care to chime in about Polar Pure?

One of the down-sides to all chemical treatments is that they require time. So if you find a water source, you can't just slurp it up. You either treat it, wait, and move on -- or bottle/bag it and move on. Ideally you'd "camel up" at the water source -- in addition to refilling your bottle/bag -- and then move on.

TIDE-HSV
06-18-2008, 20:00
Second that. The best place to carry water is inside. However, to do that either requires no treatment or filtration...

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 20:12
most y'all swim in creeks, lakes, ponds, etc. and go under the water exposing your lips and mouth to all kinds of nasties and think nothing about it and never get sick. this whole AT spring water paranoia, marketing filters and such is telling. y'alls sheeple :D do what your told.

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 20:14
i've seen a guy jump off a bridge, at your suggestion. s'truth.

one less dumb**ck. he won't breed :)

4eyedbuzzard
06-18-2008, 20:45
The problem with these "one size fits all answers" is that everyone is different. ...But that's me. Others may not want random twigs, rocks and dirt in the water (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=15316). :) Some hikers want quick treatment, others want simple, still others want to be safe....there are many ways to do something. And they are all correct...

Okay, I'm having a lot of trouble integrating this whole freedom of choice concept into the "HIKE MY HIKE DAMNIT" philosophy. ;) :D

Homer&Marje
06-18-2008, 20:56
Just goes to show you lone wolf, opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one and they all stink, i'm just saying i have the physical stamina to carry oh god an extra pound in my 25 pound pack OH lord!!!! is so heavy take it off i might die, just saying... i can deal with a few minutes of sitting by a nice stream pumping a liter of fantastic water every minute.

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 21:01
Just goes to show you lone wolf, opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one and they all stink, i'm just saying i have the physical stamina to carry oh god an extra pound in my 25 pound pack OH lord!!!! is so heavy take it off i might die, just saying... i can deal with a few minutes of sitting by a nice stream pumping a liter of fantastic water every minute.

"pumping a litre of fantastic water" every minute? that's funny right there. :D if it were so "fantastic" you wouldn't have to alter it

mrc237
06-18-2008, 21:04
Be safe, be sure, stay healthy, filter all water! Its health insurance!!!!

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 21:07
Be safe, be sure, stay healthy, filter all water! Its health insurance!!!!

dude! watch that fat and cholesterol intake before you preach about water purity you fat bastid :D

tlbj6142
06-18-2008, 21:08
most y'all swim in creeks, lakes, ponds, etc. and go under the water exposing your lips and mouth to all kinds of nasties and think nothing about it and never get sick. this whole AT spring water paranoia, marketing filters and such is telling. y'alls sheeple :D do what your told.But the Leki dealer said I need to filter, so it must be the right thing to do.

Tin Man
06-18-2008, 21:11
But the Leki dealer said I need to filter, so it must be the right thing to do.

Yup and he told me that the Nalgene by the register is where I should keep the filtered water.

Odd Thomas
06-18-2008, 21:13
But the Leki dealer said I need to filter, so it must be the right thing to do.

Take what he said with a grain of salt, Leki dealers are bi-polear

Mags
06-18-2008, 21:15
Okay, I'm having a lot of trouble integrating this whole freedom of choice concept into the "HIKE MY HIKE DAMNIT" philosophy. ;) :D

Oh..er...um..it is part of my next book:

DO AS I SAY , AND NOT AS I DO! DAMN IT! :)

(HIKE MY HIKE, DAMN IT! coming soon to an REI near you...)

TIDE-HSV
06-18-2008, 21:16
I know several people who've had giardia, including two GSMNP rangers who got it drinking untreated out of Roaring Fork Creek off LeConte. I know no one who's had it who doesn't filter. To each his own, but I never intend to have it again. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I'm beginning to come close... :)

rafe
06-18-2008, 21:21
I know several people who've had giardia, including two GSMNP rangers who got it drinking untreated out of Roaring Fork Creek off LeConte. I know no one who's had it who doesn't filter.

Bingo. I was seriously tempted to make the same point, or pose it as a question. I hiked for about 15 years before filtering water. Then it struck, about a week after a hike over Wildcat. Lost about ten pounds before it was over. Since then, I've been carrying a filter.

Darwin again
06-18-2008, 21:22
Drink freely but set aside a wad of cash earmarked for buying antibiotics when you start shooting brown foam out your anus every 15 minutes.
It might not happen that you get sick.
Or then again it might.
Roll the dice...

Some people get sick more easily than others.
Some people are already sick, so the bugs have no effect.:D

(I carry a filter and aqua mira drops.)

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 21:23
I know several people who've had giardia, including two GSMNP rangers who got it drinking untreated out of Roaring Fork Creek off LeConte. I know no one who's had it who doesn't filter. To each his own, but I never intend to have it again. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but I'm beginning to come close... :)

diagnosed giardia or just them sayin'?

Tin Man
06-18-2008, 21:23
Bingo. I was seriously tempted to make the same point, or pose it as a question. I hiked for about 15 years before filtering water. Then it struck, about a week after a hike over Wildcat. Lost about ten pounds before it was over. Since then, I've been carrying a filter.

Dang! Sorry to hear that. Do you recall any water source that you weren't sure what was upstream?

Darwin again
06-18-2008, 21:24
(And the wad of antibiotic money should include enough to buy a pump filter and some chemicals -- once you've had it, you don't want it again.)

Tin Man
06-18-2008, 21:26
diagnosed giardia or just them sayin'?

Mostly read about poor hygiene than diagnosed with giardia.

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 21:29
Mostly read about poor hygiene than diagnosed with giardia.

a lot of these weenies say they got giardia but ask them if it was diagnosed and they say no, but....:rolleyes:

hopefulhiker
06-18-2008, 21:30
Another vote for Aqua Mira here. Unless there is big drought and you have to use a filter to get the water out of mud puddles.

TIDE-HSV
06-18-2008, 21:30
Cultured out.

rafe
06-18-2008, 21:32
Dang! Sorry to hear that. Do you recall any water source that you weren't sure what was upstream?

Who knows? I started the hike at 19-Mile Brook trailhead, and filled up at one of the stream crossings on that trail, maybe half-way to the ridge. The next day I took water from a pond -- something I usually try to avoid. Whatever. Long time ago.

Aside from the dehydration, it was almost funny, 'cuz that next weekend a friend and I took a long road trip on the Mass Pike and the NY State Thruway -- and I remember sprinting from the car to the rest room at every frigging rest area along the way. :D

TIDE-HSV
06-18-2008, 21:34
Yep, the sprints, and the gas and feeling like you got a rat gnawing its way out of your gut. There's not another GE illness that feels like that and lasts for weeks...

rafe
06-18-2008, 21:34
a lot of these weenies say they got giardia but ask them if it was diagnosed and they say no, but....:rolleyes:

True, not all that squirts is giardia. But what's the diff? The effect is the same, and generally unpleasant.

minnesotasmith
06-18-2008, 23:37
From the manufacturer's website: http://www.aquamira.com

They now carry a 2-ounce size, in addition to the 1-ounce one so many of us have relied upon while backpacking. It's twice the volume of treated water for only two bucks more. I've e-mailed them to find out if its bottle tips, mixing cup, etc., are as convenient to use for small (1-liter) volumes, and will post here if/when they message me back with that info.
================================================== =

"First, I would like to thank you for using Aquamira. The 2oz. Water Treatment is intended to treat larger quantities of water at one time, mainly 55 gallon barrels for storage. Therefore, it is not packaged in dropper bottles as is the 1oz. We have had people use the 2oz. to refill the 1oz., however, these larger bottles don’t do very well when packed for hiking. There have been a few situations where the 2oz. bottles have leaked under these circumstances, damaging the pack and contents. If you decide to use the 2oz. as a refill, make sure you contain it in something that will not leak! Some sort of heavy duty zip lock bag maybe, and keep it in an outside pocket..just a suggestion.
Per a discount, the answer is yes. Both the 1 and 2oz. are packaged 12 units/carton. If you buy them from me by the carton you will get wholesale pricing, basically 50% off retail. 1oz. $7.50/unit, 2oz. 8.50/unit.
I hope this has been of some help to you, feel free to contact me with any other questions. If you decide to make a carton purchase give me a call.
Thanks again,
John G."

John E. Gustave
Sales and Marketing

Aquamira Technologies, Inc.
917 West 600 North
Logan, UT 84321
Tel: 360.306.5586
Fax: 360.306.5403

[email protected]
www.aquamira.com

minnesotasmith
06-18-2008, 23:40
Drink freely but set aside a wad of cash earmarked for buying antibiotics when you start shooting brown foam out your anus every 15 minutes.
It might not happen that you get sick.
Or then again it might.
Roll the dice...

Some people get sick more easily than others.
Some people are already sick, so the bugs have no effect.:D

(I carry a filter and aqua mira drops.)

A fellow thruhiker the year I did the AT told me of having to drop trou 20-25x a day til he saw an M.D. for the Big G. Wasn't getting much hiking done in the meantime...

twentybelow
06-19-2008, 00:17
it is estimated that as many as 1 in 25 people carry giardia without any symptoms. if you never filter or treat your water and you've never been sick, it may just mean you are one of the 4%. someone else drinking from the same untreated source may live to regret it. personally, sometimes i filter, sometimes i don't. never been sick, but there are situations where the risk just isn't worth it.

wolfsbane
06-19-2008, 00:27
awesome! thanks for your answers everyone, I really appreciate them all. I have decided to not take a filter, because we already have a pre filter and the steripen, and i will bring some chem tablets just in case. thanks again!

Pedaling Fool
06-19-2008, 00:30
awesome! thanks for your answers everyone, I really appreciate them all. I have decided to not take a filter, because we already have a pre filter and the steripen, and i will bring some chem tablets just in case. thanks again!
That won't stop them, they'll keep arguing the issue for days and they really don't care what you do:sun

TIDE-HSV
06-19-2008, 00:34
The carriers are the people who aren't treated for it and try to tough it out. What they gave me (metronidazole) wasn't pleasant at all. I think they have a better, one dose, drug now. When I was in college, I carried strep for about a year and infected a bunch of relatives. It took three months of penicillin to wipe it out (needles - no antibiotic pumps back in the '50s).

Wags
06-19-2008, 01:12

steripen will kill everything you need to worry about, and a few chem tabs for backup sounds like the best possible filtration method IMO. don't forget to bring a backup of batteries for the pen just in case

Homer&Marje
06-19-2008, 07:10
I wasn't diagnosed with montezumas revenge when i went to mexico, and i dont care if it really was... i'll tell you it was the worst couple days of my life. So it does not matter if you get diagnosed with anything, simply give yourself any option except risking, as someone so elequently said,
"the Brown foaming effect" of whatever awful parasite got into you... plus if your talking the pct or a trail more exempt from society, the At is too close to population on just about all of it to trust almost any flowing water. but go ahead drink boiling water with hemlock roots in it for all i care

Lone Wolf
06-19-2008, 07:31
the At is too close to population on just about all of it to trust almost any flowing water.

pretty obvious you've never walked on the AT. most water on the trail doesn't need filtering/treating

mrc237
06-19-2008, 07:48
dude! watch that fat and cholesterol intake before you preach about water purity you fat bastid :D

Ain't never had no problem so it must be all good.

minnesotasmith
06-19-2008, 07:54
pretty obvious you've never walked on the AT. most water on the trail doesn't need filtering/treating

Since most chambers of a revolver with only one loaded chamber are empty, Russian Roulette is a fine, reasonable game for people who want long, normal, complete lives to play. Riiiigggghhhhttt...

If water doesn't come out of a well, tap, or the like, I treat it.

jersey joe
06-19-2008, 07:56
I hiked most of the trail without treating the water and didn't have a problem.

mrc237
06-19-2008, 08:02
I hiked most of the trail without treating the water and didn't have a problem.

Thats like saying "I hiked most of the trail without health insurance and didn't have a problem". All I'm saying is filtering water cuts down your health risks. No guarantee but a better option. Be sure be safe filter all water!

rafe
06-19-2008, 08:26

So you admit that some does? :cool:

Lone Wolf
06-19-2008, 08:28
So you admit that some does? :cool:

yeah i wouldn't drink straight out of the hudson, shenandoah, potomac or other big rivers

Tin Man
06-19-2008, 08:30
yeah i wouldn't drink straight out of the hudson, shenandoah, potomac or other big rivers

um, not sure I would drink treated out of those either

Homer&Marje
06-19-2008, 08:45
I have hiked many sections of the AT and have some pictures posted to prove it... where are your pictures lone wolf... and before we get into a peeing contest with contaminated or uncontaminated water, i'm 26 by the time i'm 49 i'm sure i'll have the wealth of knowledge and tact that you have and more than likely twice the class... pray you dont see me on the trail because i've never met someone i did not like on the AT and you dont want to be the first

4eyedbuzzard
06-19-2008, 08:46
um, not sure I would drink treated out of those either

Just curious, where do you think "city water" comes from?

Odd Thomas
06-19-2008, 08:51

Something more advanced than an MSR Hyperflow :p

tlbj6142
06-19-2008, 09:06
more than likely twice the classLW is nothing if not classy. He defines class.

minnesotasmith
06-19-2008, 09:08

Commonly, they prefilter it, then treat it with Chlorine Dioxide (like AquaMira), just like me... ;)

Fat Man Walking
06-19-2008, 09:10
From my perspective, it depends on what your schedule looks like.

I've never thru'd so, I can't speak from that experience but, I try to do a long section every summer. That said, my schedule is fairly compact and does not allow for a lot of wiggle room if I want to complete what I set out to do. I don't have a lot of time for down time due to illness or injury.

I carry the Katadyn Hiker and have found it to be worth the extra weight and effort for the peace of mind I get.

Perhaps this is one of those mind over matter subjects. "If you don't mind, it don't matter."

John B
06-19-2008, 09:12
... pray you dont see me on the trail because i've never met someone i did not like on the AT and you dont want to be the first

Am I reading this correctly? Seriously, you really feel a need to threaten someone? Christ.

Homer&Marje
06-19-2008, 09:15
Class is not posting 17000 times on whiteblaze.net, that's called sitting in front of your computer too much and being a waste of space with a half assed opinion derived from years of being alone in his own little world too much. Only reason i've posted 13 comments is because i'm in the middle of planning my 09' thru hike, so i spend a little time each morning gathering opinions from many websites on the best way to hike the AT...now for a Novice, who originally posted the question of water filtration, to tell a NOVICE!! to drink anywhere is one good way to get that person into serious trouble, and that's not class that is irresponsible

rafe
06-19-2008, 09:17
take everything you read on WB with several grains of salt. most folks mean well. most of 'em know their stuff. but some folks just enjoy polluting the discourse for the sheer entertainment value of watching the "sheeple" bleat.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2008, 09:22
pray you dont see me on the trail because i've never met someone i did not like on the AT and you dont want to be the first

i'm praying and shaking :D while drinking my untreated water

Homer&Marje
06-19-2008, 09:23
"To be satisfied with a little, is the greatest wisdom; and he that increaseth his riches, increaseth his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble findeth it not. ":bse
Akhenaton

rafe
06-19-2008, 09:25
i'm praying and shaking :D while drinking my untreated water

you praying? that's a lie right there. ;)

Mags
06-19-2008, 09:28
"Cut the bullsh** and listen to your mother"
-Steve Mags (better known as "Dad" to me)

Has nothing to do with this thread..but I thought if everyone is throwing out quotes, I'd throw out one, too. :)

Lone Wolf
06-19-2008, 09:29
"To be satisfied with a little, is the greatest wisdom; and he that increaseth his riches, increaseth his cares; but a contented mind is a hidden treasure, and trouble findeth it not. ":bse
Akhenaton

so be wise and get rid of the filter and high tech gear so you can be carefree and contented

and quit sending me goofy PMs

Homer&Marje
06-19-2008, 09:31
Ow thats HOT! -Richard Pryor

warraghiyagey
06-19-2008, 09:32
Ow thats HOT! -Richard Pryor
Ow that's hot. - Michael Jackson

Heater
06-19-2008, 09:32

I would.
I hang on your every word.
You are my hero.

Can I have your autograph?

Homer&Marje
06-19-2008, 09:34
High tech gear? i have a water filter my stove is made out of a beer can my hiking stick actually is wood, please dont judge me for you know not who i am... i did not judge you except for the fact that you made 1 irresponsible comment to a novice hiker. I pray that novice hiker buys 1 piece of high tech equipment being a water filter. oh now look i'm praying and i'm a freakin atheist

tlbj6142
06-19-2008, 10:05
the fact that you made 1 irresponsible comment to a novice hiker.Irresponsible comment, where? LW is not alone in his "don't need to treat" mantra.

Tin Man
06-19-2008, 10:10

NYC water does not come from the Hudson River! At least the PCB lower half. There are a series of reservoirs with restricted access with feeder systems that bypass the Hudson.

Pedaling Fool
06-19-2008, 10:11
NYC water does not come from the Hudson River! At least the PCB lower half. There are a series of reservoirs with restricted access with feeder systems that bypass the Hudson.
With today's technology, you can drink treated sewer water.

Tin Man
06-19-2008, 10:23
With today's technology, you can drink treated sewer water.

Sure. But residual PCBs and other toxic chemicals dumped in our rivers are another matter. That said, I will be happy to stop over and give you something to treat. For myself, I'll stick to clear mountain spring water - the kind that comes out of the ground, not a bottle.

rafe
06-19-2008, 11:09
Irresponsible comment, where? LW is not alone in his "don't need to treat" mantra.

That's true. Far from me to defend LW, the "facts" on this matter are inconclusive, and generally point in the direction that your odds (of getting sick on the trail) are about the same regardless of what you do. And much as I believe in facts & science... I still filter my water while hiking, most of the time. :cool:

Tin Man
06-19-2008, 12:15
That's true. Far from me to defend LW, the "facts" on this matter are inconclusive, and generally point in the direction that your odds (of getting sick on the trail) are about the same regardless of what you do. And much as I believe in facts & science... I still filter my water while hiking, most of the time. :cool:

There is nothing wrong with that and it may improve your chances of avoiding a bug. When you think about it, most tap water is treated anyway, so treating water you find on your own is not a bad idea.

4eyedbuzzard
06-19-2008, 14:13

The water pretty much all comes from tributaries of the Hudson and Delaware Rivers. Point is, it's all just river water of some sort sooner or later. Big cities can't run on wells like small towns can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Water_Tunnel_No._1

warren doyle
06-19-2008, 14:46
I don't treat my water on the trail.
My Sierra cup is my water filter.

Tennessee Viking
06-19-2008, 15:03
If you are just going on day or weekend hikes, I would go for Aquamira/Polar Pure. But require a 30 minute wait for treatment. But having two bladders or bottles can cure that. Iodine is good and cheap, but it leaves water tasting very salty. Use powerade packets to counter the taste.

I have only seen Steripens. Some like them, some don't.

Walmart carries a built-in filter bottle for $35. But I don't know if I trust something at Walmart that cheap.

For the more long distance, ceramic filters are great. But they are heavy, clog very easily, and clunky. Paper filters are great to. If you are looking to do any winter hiking, filters will freeze if not packed warmly.

Johnny Swank
06-19-2008, 15:07
Anybody want to guess how many people got water-borne illnesses out of 550 thru-hikers in a recent study?

Hint - type of treatment didn't matter.

Wags
06-19-2008, 15:24
anyone use cheesecloth as a prefilter filter?

Mags
06-19-2008, 16:01
anyone use cheesecloth as a prefilter filter?

Sweaty, salt encrusted bandanna count?

mrc237
06-19-2008, 17:19
High tech gear? i have a water filter my stove is made out of a beer can my hiking stick actually is wood, please dont judge me for you know not who i am... i did not judge you except for the fact that you made 1 irresponsible comment to a novice hiker. I pray that novice hiker buys 1 piece of high tech equipment being a water filter. oh now look i'm praying and i'm a freakin atheist

You're making the right decision.:) Most here agree water should be filtered but some are "old school". They're still in the last century. I recommend the next question you ask is: Should I wait for the ferry or ford the Kennebec? You'll get the same irresponsible knuckleheaded answers!!! No BS just fact!!! Good Luck in preparing for your hike.

Tin Man
06-20-2008, 00:51
The water pretty much all comes from tributaries of the Hudson and Delaware Rivers. Point is, it's all just river water of some sort sooner or later. Big cities can't run on wells like small towns can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Water_Tunnel_No._1

No doubt about it. But I am sticking with my own well water. Thank you.

Homer&Marje
06-20-2008, 07:07
You're making the right decision.:) Most here agree water should be filtered but some are "old school". They're still in the last century. I recommend the next question you ask is: Should I wait for the ferry or ford the Kennebec? You'll get the same irresponsible knuckleheaded answers!!! No BS just fact!!! Good Luck in preparing for your hike.

Thank you, i know there are a lot of old-schoolers who would rather not filter their water, and it is truly unfortunate that our rivers lakes and streams have gotten to the point where we have to filter, but for any new hiker, a novice, a filter should be the only choice in this day and age. " Not until the last tree has been chopped down, the last river poisoned, and the last fish has been caught will we realize we can't eat money" (of which i have none so i'll starve either way):banana

4eyedbuzzard
06-20-2008, 08:58
Many larger rivers and streams are actually clearner today, at least from human influence (and effluent;)) than they were 30 years ago. The little mountain springs, streams, and ponds though probably aren't any better or worse than they were years ago except in areas where hikers may have fouled them. And we simply didn't have lightweight filters and such back in the 60's and 70's. I don't remember when the first filters came out. I bought my first one, a Katadyn in the late 80's or thereabouts. Thing was hard to pump, nothing but trouble from day one. FWIW, I'm concerned enough that I use a steripen now, but I honestly think the chances are often questionable as to where GI illnesses come from - water sources vs purchased food(restaurants and stores), other hikers with contagious illness, poor hiker sanitation, etc.

Can't honestly say if filtering/treating is necessary. I never had any really bad stomach/GI illness when hiking, treating or not. I think luck has a lot to do with it.

rafe
06-20-2008, 09:02
Can't honestly say if filtering/treating is necessary. I never had any really bad stomach/GI illness when hiking, treating or not. I think luck has a lot to do with it.

Agree with the first and last statement above. I have had one nasty incident of "bad luck" and as a consequence, I now carry and use a filter.

tlbj6142
06-20-2008, 09:13
The little mountain springs, streams, and ponds though probably aren't any better or worse than they were years ago except in areas where hikers may have fouled them. And we simply didn't have lightweight filters and such back in the 60's and 70's.Iodine has been around forever.

rafe
06-20-2008, 09:18
Iodine has been around forever.

Yeah, I carry it as a backup for my filter. But it leaves a nasty taste to the water, and I wouldn't want to have to use it long-term.

Homer&Marje
06-20-2008, 09:28
I use aqua mira as a backup, reduces after taste... prefer to filter, just replaced 13 year old msr waterworks (that still works fine, simple maintenance avoids any clogs) and bought the msr waterworks 2, pumps a liter per minute, extremely fast and easy less pieces than the original and quite a bit faster. ( Fits the top of wide mouth nalgene bottles, or my nalgene 96oz canteen, and fits the tops of all cyclone water bottles/ water bladders

turtle fast
06-20-2008, 11:18
I am thru hiking the trail right now and have seen the water sources first hand....I have seen almost every filter and other chemical purification asystem out here and I have to say to USE A FILTER....I have seen too many problems with the steripen not working or running out of battery life too fast...boiling is too much work....the MSR miox is unpopular....the prefered chemical treatment is Aquamira 2 bottle system good for piped springs and the First Need purifier from REI has been popular even though the filters are hard to come by on the trail...postal drop for them. The bonus is COLD water to drink from the spring RIGHT AWAY...downside is weight.

Homer&Marje
06-20-2008, 16:24
[quote=turtle fast;649048]I am thru hiking the trail right now and have seen the water sources first hand....I have seen almost every filter and other chemical purification asystem out here and I have to say to USE A FILTER....

Enough said.

Tin Man
06-20-2008, 16:31
Anyone know if the White Mtn. Huts treat their water? Just wondering since most are likely to take a free drink and fill-up when passing through.

the goat
06-20-2008, 16:32
Anyone know if the White Mtn. Huts treat their water? Just wondering since most are likely to take a free drink and fill-up when passing through.
their water is clean.

mrc237
06-20-2008, 16:40
[quote=turtle fast;649048]I am thru hiking the trail right now and have seen the water sources first hand....I have seen almost every filter and other chemical purification asystem out here and I have to say to USE A FILTER....

Enough said.

Modern Hiker = Smart Hiker