PDA

View Full Version : how reliable is the princeton tec pulsar II?

nova
06-18-2008, 15:46
i've always use a ptzl tikka plus. it has worked nicely. but, im seduced by the lightness of the pulsar II. i've notice that the on/off switch seems to be inconsistant, a bit loose. is that part of the construction? also, do you really get 12 hours of continous light? does it perform well in the rain? nova

Seeker
06-18-2008, 16:02
imho, it's a piece of crap, and there's a reason it's about $10 cheaper than the $20+ Photon. I have one and hate it...

If you want a great tiny light, spend the extra $$ and get a Photon instead.

Alligator
06-18-2008, 16:14
The color of the light makes a difference in the output time, or at least it did a couple of years ago. I have a yellow Photon II that does duty as a speedometer light and it only gets changed once a year.

Appalachian Tater
06-18-2008, 17:08
I bought a Princeton Tec mini LED that came with a clip to hold it onto a hat, thinking it would be lighter than a headlamp. Well, it was, especially after I filed the holder down so I could get the light out of the holder without using a screwdriver to pry it.

The real problem was that it just wasn't bright enough to be useful.

If you go with a mini, make sure you test it in the dark, and that you can return it.

nova
06-18-2008, 20:25
Appalachian Tater, i bought the one with the hat clip also. It was broken right off the package. I could'nt even test it!! May be I should try the Photon II or the Freedom. nova

Incahiker
06-18-2008, 22:28
Pulsars suck, mine fell apart after a week on my keychain. They were plenty bright for finding stuff around the tent and what not, but not as your only light source.

Tinker
06-18-2008, 22:36
I have an original Pulsar. Bought a Photon when the Pulsar's batteries died. Never bothered to use the Pulsar again. Lots of people use Photon lights with dots of sticky backed velcro on them to attach to hat brims. My Photon lives on my key chain. My Pulsar languishes in my dresser drawer, possibly never to see the light of day again.
I have owned several PT headlamps, most of which are decent and waterproof.

River Runner
06-20-2008, 01:44
My Pulsar languishes in my dresser drawer, possibly never to see the light of day again.

I carry my Pulsar on my camera wrist strap in case I need a small light. (I am too cheap to never use it - it still needs to pay for itself.)

One of my Photons hangs on the back of my backpack so it is always handy. The other is in my pack in my ditty bag to be used at camp. These are the only light sources I take backpacking.

DO NOT get the pulsar with the switch under any circumstances. The switch will get pushed on and the batteries drained. :mad:

This does not seem to be a problem with the way the Photon switches on. The Photons are definitely worth the extra $$$.

buz
06-20-2008, 09:35
I have the Impulse light and love it. Different model than the pulsar. Hat clip works great, I always carry a hat because I am follicily challenged, lol. Not for night hiking, but for around camp, great light, IMO. Weighs nothing, kinda, and does what it's supposed to. Battery life is correct, only downside is finding batteries sometimes, but I just bring spare set if hiking for long sections or days in the fall, when light is more needed.

Sailor (The other one)
06-21-2008, 07:53
Have had two Photons and Two Pulsars. Lost one Photon and the other has worked perfectly for a year. One Pulsar almost immediately malfunctioned and when I replaced the batteries the switch stopped working. I emailed the company and have not received a response. The other has worked perfectly for about 6 months.
Had a problem with a new Photon rechargeable and received a replacement very quickly.The Photon II also comes with a great little clip that alone is worth the extra money.
I'd stick with the Photons.