PDA

View Full Version : BACKPACKER blows

RBoone
06-18-2008, 18:36
If you are thinking about buying the latest issue of BACKPACKER, don't. It blows.

Leaving aside a 2-page, full-color foldout for Hummer, and leaving aside gear reviews for an Italian-made,1/2 pound mini espresso machine "that is a godsend for backcountry baristas," and never mind a $584 stainless steel Xeno "Air Commando" watch, the crappiest part of this edition is...

I'm not kidding...

... a feature essay about a guy who spent "twenty-four continuous hours in the L.L. Bean home store in Maine." He toughed it out by not eating anything that couldn't be found in the store, he managed to catch a 10-min. nap in a 2-person tent set up in the "outdoors" section of Bean, and he interviewed 3 ladies who drove up from Florida, spent $1,800 each, and were estatic at finding bug repellant incense that isn't in the catalogue.

BACKPACKER blows.

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 20:25
really? :eek: godamn, i just got a lifetime subscription. hell fire!

trailmomma4
06-18-2008, 21:06
[QUOTE][
/QUOTE]
you are hilarious!!!

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 21:10
[QUOTE][
/QUOTE]
you are hilarious!!!

15,500 out of 16,000 members on here don't think so :D screw them

Doughnut
06-18-2008, 21:13
[quote=trailmomma4;647182]

15,500 out of 16,000 members on here don't think so :D screw them

Make that 15,501 Wolf! LOL

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 21:14
[quote=Lone Wolf;647193]

Make that 15,501 Wolf! LOL

doughnut. what are you, a cop? :)

Nicksaari
06-18-2008, 21:27
lone wolf, i always enjoy your posts. and that it might be nice living in damascus...:D

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 21:31
lone wolf, i always enjoy your posts. and that it might be nice living in damascus...:D

thank you. come live here. there's plenty of room. it needs new blood

Tin Man
06-18-2008, 22:26

Nice. When I suggested I might move south after you posted a real estate listing, you said something like, "yankee stay away". Guess only Virginians... or Rhode Islander's are welcome. ;)

Tinker
06-18-2008, 22:29

Hmmmmm.........I always wondered if LW wasn't a vampire.....:-?

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2008, 22:34
bug repellant incense? I had no idea, that would be great for my tent!

Mags
06-19-2008, 02:10
Guess only Virginians... or Rhode Islander's are welcome. ;)

Yeah....Lone Wolf and I are going
to hang in Damascus together. Have some stuffies and Narragansett beer...

mrc237
06-19-2008, 05:28
If you are thinking about buying the latest issue of BACKPACKER, don't. It blows.

Leaving aside a 2-page, full-color foldout for Hummer, and leaving aside gear reviews for an Italian-made,1/2 pound mini espresso machine "that is a godsend for backcountry baristas," and never mind a $584 stainless steel Xeno "Air Commando" watch, the crappiest part of this edition is...

I'm not kidding...

... a feature essay about a guy who spent "twenty-four continuous hours in the L.L. Bean home store in Maine." He toughed it out by not eating anything that couldn't be found in the store, he managed to catch a 10-min. nap in a 2-person tent set up in the "outdoors" section of Bean, and he interviewed 3 ladies who drove up from Florida, spent $1,800 each, and were estatic at finding bug repellant incense that isn't in the catalogue.

BACKPACKER blows.

Maybe you should check out Golf Digest and do please give us a review! :rolleyes:

fiddlehead
06-19-2008, 05:46
That rag once called me an my friends: "obvious trusfunders" yeah right!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-19-2008, 06:18
I scan Backpacker in doctors' waiting rooms (old age is not for sissies) and rarely find anything worthwhile between its covers. I convinced the office managers for two of my doctors to drop Backpacker and order Backpacking Light instead :sun Waiting just got a lot less boring at my orthopedist and primary care docs... now to call the rest.

Old Grouse
06-19-2008, 07:52
Call Backpacking Light! Many doctors' and lawyers' offices get free, unsolicited subscriptions for up to a year. The publishers do this in hopes of snagging new subscribers, but also so they can boost their circulation numbers to assist in bragging to potential advertisers.

Captain
06-19-2008, 07:53
whats typical rent range there

John B
06-19-2008, 08:29
I like the magazine because of the hike reviews and pics, particularly those from Colorado and the Rockies. I haven't found another magazine that presents a half dozen or so hikes, usually with good directions, elevation profiles, distances, etc, every month. But I certainly agree that most of the magazine is crap, but then that's my impression of most magazines -- the need for ad revenue quickly drives editorial content.

rafe
06-19-2008, 08:31
That rag once called me an my friends: "obvious trusfunders" yeah right!

I have occasionally wondered how one affords the time and $ to walk the distances you have. (I have the same question for other "habitual" hikers and repeat offenders.)

mrc237
06-19-2008, 08:38
I like the magazine because of the hike reviews and pics, particularly those from Colorado and the Rockies. I haven't found another magazine that presents a half dozen or so hikes, usually with good directions, elevation profiles, distances, etc, every month. But I certainly agree that most of the magazine is crap, but then that's my impression of most magazines -- the need for ad revenue quickly drives editorial content.

Nice reveiw John. Like most here, people think any mag that has something to do with what they like to do should be all about what they want to read or say. Slamming BP is a favorite topic here its been rehashed everytime some nube reads something they don't like. WB goes over the same topics over and over again they even have a politics thread because they know it gets pretty boring around here.

fiddlehead
06-19-2008, 08:40
Simple, just make hiking your #1 goal in life.
I rented out my house, created a business in which i work from Nov to Feb, learned to live frugally (have never paid for a shuttle, and have hitchhiked across Europe 3 times and Australia once) and love mac and cheese. Stealth camp in expensive towns. (spent a summer in Europe and paid for a room for a total of 6 nights)
I usually have money left over after a hike.
Live to hike. It's a good life.

anyway, don't wanna hijack the thread. I agree: Backpacker mag sucks. ! Whiteblaze has 100 times more info. and i've never seen a hummer ad on here.

Monkeywrench
06-19-2008, 08:58
Does anyone else remember when Backpacker first came out? It was square bound then (is that called perfect binding?), and their editorial policy was to not identify the exact location of hikes. They seemed to share Fletcher's stance on guidebooks and such. I loved that magazine, and kept some of the issues for years. Alas, that didn't last long.

sheepdog
06-19-2008, 09:02
Simple, just make hiking your #1 goal in life.
I rented out my house, created a business in which i work from Nov to Feb, learned to live frugally (have never paid for a shuttle, and have hitchhiked across Europe 3 times and Australia once) and love mac and cheese. Stealth camp in expensive towns. (spent a summer in Europe and paid for a room for a total of 6 nights)
I usually have money left over after a hike.
Live to hike. It's a good life.

anyway, don't wanna hijack the thread. I agree: Backpacker mag sucks. ! Whiteblaze has 100 times more info. and i've never seen a hummer ad on here.
You missed the thread of inappropriate ads?

Mags
06-19-2008, 09:43
I have occasionally wondered how one affords the time and $ to walk the distances you have. (I have the same question for other "habitual" hikers and repeat offenders.)

Don't own a car for 6 years.
Brown bag your lunches
Rent, don't own
Work in a field where it is relatively easy to pick up a job again
Have jobs and not a "career". (my resume is swiss cheese)
No children or spouse
Etc.
Etc.

It is all about priorities. I am certainly not a trust funder. :)

It is not a path that is for everyone; it was a path that works for me.

taildragger
06-19-2008, 09:52
For those particularly hard to get to trailheads

http://www.hummerguy.net/wp-content/ChineseKnockoffHumvee.jpg

At least get a real one

warraghiyagey
06-19-2008, 10:03
:sun:sun:sun:sun

Jason of the Woods
06-19-2008, 10:14
Yep! Refer to my thread: Speed Hike My A@#, and you will find my opinion about BACKPACKER. I want to start my own mag for backpackers.;)

Mags
06-19-2008, 11:49
Yep! Refer to my thread: Speed Hike My A@#, and you will find my opinion about BACKPACKER. I want to start my own mag for backpackers.;)

Perhaps you can contribute a paragraph or two to my new book HIKE MY HIKE - DAMN IT! With your "real hiker" discourse, (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37459) you were part of the inspiration of my book after all. ;)

kanga
06-19-2008, 11:51
Perhaps you can contribute a paragraph or two to my new book HIKE MY HIKE - DAMN IT! With your "real hiker" discourse, (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37459) you were part of the inspiration of my book after all. ;)
you're my hero

Mags
06-19-2008, 11:59
you're my hero

I even have the hero look down, (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=17074)too! (Minus the well defined muscles, super powers and rugged good looks. BUT I do have the tights with shorts over them look going!)

kanga
06-19-2008, 12:03
I even have the hero look down, (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=17074)too! (Minus the well defined muscles, super powers and rugged good looks. BUT I do have the tights with shorts over them look going!)

that is awesome.:D

partinj
06-19-2008, 12:58
Backpack mag. has become Yuppie Mag. i use to love the gear review they use to put out. Now all you have to due is see who has the most ads that who get the best reviews.

envirodiver
06-19-2008, 13:05

Is that the fantastic 4 in that pic?

Jason of the Woods
06-19-2008, 13:09
I'd love to but I'll be hiking.:D

big_muddy
06-19-2008, 13:12
From the sounds of it I am glad my subscription ran out or whatever caused them to stop delivering it to me. You can notice a real difference since they were sold to the other publishing company; the quality is worse than usual.

envirodiver
06-19-2008, 13:12
Backpack mag. has become Yuppie Mag. i use to love the gear review they use to put out. Now all you have to due is see who has the most ads that who get the best reviews.

I agree that it's a bit fishy when everything reviewed is good to great, I don't remember reading a review that said this piece of gear is unacceptable. Don't buy it. Also, it seems that all gear reviewed is advertised. Not sure if it's reviewed because they advertise or they advertise to take advantage of a good review.

boarstone
06-19-2008, 13:18
bug repellant incense? damn, I got to get there. I had no idea, that would be great for my tent!

It's called citronella...dollar store etc...

Mags
06-19-2008, 13:19
I'd love to but I'll be hiking.:D

Smoking lots of subtances, then posting it about it on a BBS does not really qualify as hiking... ;)

BTW..a quick lesson on top posting and why not to do it:

With Cream
How do you take it?
Yes I do.
Do you like coffee?

Do you like coffee?
Yes I do.
How do you take it?
With cream.

Which way makes more sense? Then again, don't answer that. Perhaps with THC your way does make more sense. :D

Top posting is an abomination courtesy of corporate American using Outlook. .RANT OFF.

Mags
06-19-2008, 14:04
Is that the fantastic 4 in that pic?

Lesse..we have :

"Tall Dave" - Best navigator I know of. He knows every friggin' trail..and can read a map like no other person I know
Mark - CMC winter instructor, mountaineer and makes awesome pies on hut trips
Tara - All around cool person. And man, she looked good in that black dress the other night..and ah..I'll shut up
Shmuck with tights - I drink beer

minnesotasmith
06-19-2008, 14:19
It's called citronella...dollar store etc...

Citronella doesn't really work worth a flip, sorry. Save your money to A) buy ones that are DEET-based or B) use clothing and other protective gear (headnets, bug shirts, mosquito nets [if noseeum!], etc.)

http://health.yahoo.com/cancer-resources/products-that-prevent-insect-bites/healthwise--uf4815.html

http://www.drpaul.com/illnesses/westnile.html

envirodiver
06-19-2008, 14:29
Lesse..we have :

"Tall Dave" - Best navigator I know of. He knows every friggin' trail..and can read a map like no other person I know
Mark - CMC winter instructor, mountaineer and makes awesome pies on hut trips
Tara - All around cool person. And man, she looked good in that black dress the other night..and ah..I'll shut up
Shmuck with tights - I drink beer

I like beer

kanga
06-19-2008, 14:43
I like beer
so do i. i'ma gonna go get me soma that.

Bearpaw
06-19-2008, 15:35
If Backpacker simply showed up as is, I could accept it as a "lifestyle" magazine like Outside or Men' Journal. Just another magazine on the shelf.

What makes it frustrating to me is its decline. It was once an excellent pub for those interested in backpacking. Now it is a magazine primarily for the urban professional who wants to live vicariously through the adventures of others and occasionally soak up a few hours outdoors. There's nothing wrong with that. But I can't feel like I've been left out......

BPL offered a very nice new option, until it quit being published in paper form. They recently began publishing the mag as an online pub you are supposed to print yourself. I was pretty upset and let my subscription lapse. But those first eight paperback issues gave me the kind of excitement I used to get when I opened Backpacker.

envirodiver
06-19-2008, 15:37
so do i. i'ma gonna go get me soma that.

It's good for you.

Frosty
06-19-2008, 16:15
to hang in Damascus together. Have some stuffies and Narragansett beer..."Hey, neighbor. Have a 'Gansett."

Jason of the Woods
06-19-2008, 16:24
What's that you say about HYOH, Idiot?:D
Smoking lots of subtances, then posting it about it on a BBS does not really qualify as hiking... ;)

BTW..a quick lesson on top posting and why not to do it:

With Cream
How do you take it?
Yes I do.
Do you like coffee?

Do you like coffee?
Yes I do.
How do you take it?
With cream.

Which way makes more sense? Then again, don't answer that. Perhaps with THC your way does make more sense. :D

Top posting is an abomination courtesy of corporate American using Outlook. .RANT OFF.

Quoddy
06-19-2008, 16:24
If Backpacker simply showed up as is, I could accept it as a "lifestyle" magazine like Outside or Men' Journal. Just another magazine on the shelf.

What makes it frustrating to me is its decline. It was once an excellent pub for those interested in backpacking. Now it is a magazine primarily for the urban professional who wants to live vicariously through the adventures of others and occasionally soak up a few hours outdoors. There's nothing wrong with that. But I can't feel like I've been left out......

BPL offered a very nice new option, until it quit being published in paper form. They recently began publishing the mag as an online pub you are supposed to print yourself. I was pretty upset and let my subscription lapse. But those first eight paperback issues gave me the kind of excitement I used to get when I opened Backpacker.
I wholeheartedly with your description of Backpacker's decline. After some recent communication with their editorial staff I can see why. They actually believe that what they publish is good and is an accurate view of backpacking. It causes me to half cringe and half laugh.

I should point out that BPL continues to publish the paper version, and I consider the recent issue 9 to be their best yet. It's aimed in the right direction, and you'll be glad to hear that looks even less commercial than ever. Only a total of two small pages of advertising and those were from REAL advertisers... Integral Designs and GoLite.

Jason of the Woods
06-19-2008, 16:29
It's sad!

Mags
06-19-2008, 16:30

I say HIKE MY HIKE, DAMN IT!

I have the book to prove it.

However, I , nor anyone else never said "Post in the the most incomprehensible manner possible".

Locutus
06-19-2008, 16:51

I agree with Mags, the top posting is annoying...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-19-2008, 17:00
IBPL offered a very nice new option, until it quit being published in paper form. They recently began publishing the mag as an online pub you are supposed to print yourself. I was pretty upset and let my subscription lapse. But those first eight paperback issues gave me the kind of excitement I used to get when I opened Backpacker.Darn it - there goes my reading material for doc offices :mad:

mrc237
06-19-2008, 17:34
I got my BP mag today and at first glance it looks like GM sponsored an 8 page layout with 5 dedicated to 25 habits of highly effective hikers by Michael Lanza and I suppose the LL bean in 24 is supposed to be funny. Ain't got time now to read it gotta earn $ to fill up my Hummer the best friend of hikers. :rolleyes: Its only a magazine, thats why there's racks full of 'em everywhere mags are sold.

KirkMcquest
06-19-2008, 17:35

What a tool.:banana

RITBlake
06-19-2008, 17:37
Backpacker: Best Magazine ever

sheepdog
06-19-2008, 17:40
I did like the article in the June issue on the North Country Trail.

Sleepy the Arab
06-19-2008, 17:50
Don't own a car for 6 years.
Brown bag your lunches
Rent, don't own
Work in a field where it is relatively easy to pick up a job again
Have jobs and not a "career". (my resume is swiss cheese)
No children or spouse
Etc.
Etc.

It is all about priorities. I am certainly not a trust funder. :)

And let's add:

Don't eat out
Drink tap water instead of bottled (or soda)
Don't get cable
Use a library for books or internet

mrc237
06-19-2008, 17:50
Good stuff in there every month I get pissed off when they don't write anything about me. :rolleyes:

CrumbSnatcher
06-19-2008, 18:00
after trail days one year, i watched the backpacker rep. throw away over a 1,000 copies of the magazine in a dumpster. the left overs they didn't give away . i know magazines have heavy ink,but are they recyclable? and if so what was his ass doing

Bearpaw
06-19-2008, 18:40
Darn it - there goes my reading material for doc offices :mad:

Quoddy mentioned that they ARE still making a paper magazine, but of the four I was supposed to get with last year's subscription, I only got two, (issues 8 & 9). Just before my subscription ran out the first of May, I got a huge attachment saying "this is your next issue, now issued online". I was not amused, by the fact that I did NOT get four issues as I was supposed to, nor by th fact that I was supposed to print out my "print" issue myself.

FWIW, the print issues I have (and I have all of them since I backordered the original three) have been excellent. When you can get them, BPL is a great magazine, especially for their expedition reports. Brian Frankle's Hayduke Trail thru-hike report (issue 4) is still my favorite.

halibut15
06-19-2008, 19:07
Forget the gear reviews...what about the fact that unless you hike out West or abroad, Backpacker offers little more for the Eastern backpacker than the 3-mile day hike loops stuck in the very back of the "Southeast Edition" I get? I thought it was a "backpacking" magazine, not a "30-minute dayhikes with everyone and their brother from Atlanta" magazine. What a joke...

kanga
06-19-2008, 19:25
It's good for you.
a virtual food group

Jason of the Woods
06-19-2008, 20:13
You two should go have a beer.;)

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2008, 20:35
I thought this thread was about going to be about oral sex.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-19-2008, 20:46
::: Dino peeks over her trifocals at 'Tater and tires hard not to crack a smile :::

envirodiver
06-19-2008, 21:03
a virtual food group

yep, not on the nutrition tree, but should be.

You two should go have a beer.;)

Sounds like a great idea. I think that I shall.

Tin Man
06-20-2008, 00:38
Forget the gear reviews...what about the fact that unless you hike out West or abroad, Backpacker offers little more for the Eastern backpacker than the 3-mile day hike loops stuck in the very back of the "Southeast Edition" I get? I thought it was a "backpacking" magazine, not a "30-minute dayhikes with everyone and their brother from Atlanta" magazine. What a joke...

Exactly why I quit...and almost stayed with it. If you know where the dayhike recommendations are, then you know what to avoid - unless you like lots of company, that is.

mkmangold
06-20-2008, 01:45
I thought this thread was about going to be about oral sex.

There is a picture of a Hummer on page 2.

Mike.C
06-20-2008, 05:40
to hang in Damascus together. Have some stuffies and Narragansett beer...

Don't forget the coffee syrup. I realy miss the coffee syrup.

Or maybe Dells.

Lone Wolf
06-20-2008, 06:04

Or maybe Dells.

i've got some autocrat syrup in the fridge and some johnnycake mix in the cupboard

mudhead
06-20-2008, 08:40
i've got some autocrat syrup in the fridge and some johnnycake mix in the cupboard

Mix?

If you need an easy recipe, speak up. About 2 seconds harder than Jiffy.

mrc237
06-20-2008, 09:39
Packsniffers blow!!! After reading the LLB article its obvious that the whole article was written tounge in cheek! The expresso blurb gave three other coffee brewing choices! And the Hummer ad sponsored a how to stay ready guide. I guess BP should be more selective in who they sell ad space to. :rolleyes:

Mags
06-20-2008, 10:54

Or maybe Dells.

Del's is much goodness...