PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking the Florida Trail

wahoo
06-18-2008, 20:55
Let's talk about thru hiking the FT, how many of you out there have thru hiked the trail? What's been your overall experience?

mrc237
06-18-2008, 21:06
Flat hot and boring! Pine trees palmettos and sand!

wahoo
06-18-2008, 22:42
Flat hot and boring! Pine trees palmettos and sand!
Have you hiked the whole FT? I haven't, but I've hiked enough of it to know it's not all like that.
Yep, it's pretty much flat, but that's not necessarily a bad thing..!

Rain Man
06-18-2008, 22:53
You might enjoy "Ten Million Steps" by Nimblewill Nomad, aka M.J. Eberhart. The first few chapters are his hike through Florida, on the way to Canada, via the AT.

Nimblewill Nomad's web site (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/)

Also, here's another WB thread that might interest you--
Best Florida Trail Book? (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29939&highlight=%22Ten+Million+Steps%22)

Rain:sunMan

wahoo
06-19-2008, 08:54
That's a great book, I read it sometime a year or so ago, I hear Nimblewill Nomad is going to tackle the PCT this spring.

budforester
06-19-2008, 09:54
That's a great book, I read it sometime a year or so ago, I hear Nimblewill Nomad is going to tackle the PCT this spring.

He was near Mammoth Lakes on June 18 journal entry; here's a link. (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/odyssey_2008_journals.htm)

BumpJumper
06-22-2008, 14:23
Anytime yall are hiking up near the Ocala Forest section, give me a shout. I am not far and do some shuttling for the hikers out of Juniper. I am sure ready to hike some more myself....who wants to go with me?:D

wahoo
06-22-2008, 17:24
We need a big get-together at some point, Ocala seems like a good place for it!

MagicSFK
06-22-2008, 17:51
Haven't been to the Juniper area yet, hopefully sometime soon!

notorius tic
06-22-2008, 18:00
Im in for the gathering in Ocala I know tons of cool trails through that area.. Grown an Raised in Lakeland, Live in Bradenton Beach now.. Hey Croom has some nice trails away from the dirt bikes.. But Ocala is a really nice forest once you get away from the Clear Cut areas there is some nice trails..

notorius tic
06-22-2008, 18:02
Hey whaoo email me [email protected] or richardchard1@hotmail lets keep in touch..

BumpJumper
06-22-2008, 21:01
WAHOO...I just put together a big get together this last fall. Sorry you missed it. I cooked up some good grub for everybody...Ask Slow...he loved it...

We can hit it again...I would love to.

wahoo
06-22-2008, 22:02
Bumpjumper - did you have a lot of folks show up last fall? Where was it at?
Notorious Tic - I live on the edge of the Croom trails(Hog Island, Iron Bridge, etc.), about 10 minutes away. But I usually hit the trail at Tucker Hill near Brooksville when I'm out there.

Gray Blazer
06-22-2008, 22:11
Let's do it!!

wahoo
06-22-2008, 22:37
We need to start planning this thing out and get the most people we can to show up!
Maybe we can do a hike, camp, and a gear swap or sale as well.
Give me a holler here on Whiteblaze or email me - wahoohiker at gmail.com

MagicSFK
06-23-2008, 18:26
I'd be interested!

geyerpd
06-26-2008, 01:12
My experiences with the FT was sooo positive. Covered 1000 miles...just 100 to go (mostly around Avon bombing range and just Billy swamp/Seminole reserve area. Loved Ocala, Eglin, and everything inbetween. Everglades was a true treat.

Look me up if you pass near Tallahassee.

Stump46
06-26-2008, 08:09
I'd be interested in hiking for a week or two most anytime.

notorius tic
06-26-2008, 08:27
Im in also just lets all get together phone or via Emails an chat it out. My Email is [email protected] phone 941-914-8010

GMcClain20
07-02-2008, 10:52
Hey everyone I'm back from the Foothills Trail. Report forthcoming with photos. Count me in on a get together or a hike. Sounds like fun!!!

slow
07-02-2008, 18:29
Will bring the steak for all.

notorius tic
07-02-2008, 18:41
I am glad they are keeping this 1 Alive.. There are bunch of us FlatFLanders here that enjoy the HIKE...

slow
07-02-2008, 19:25
FL, will buckle many up north on only a 15 mi in aug.

Hammock Hanger
07-03-2008, 08:46
I have hiked all but 20 miles of FL. It is NOT all flat and far from boring, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. the ecosystem changes every other day sometimes in the same day. No big mountains to climb and not much company in the way of other hikers. Interesting wildlife, beautiful flora and fauna. A few more roads then I would like but the association is working on that as best they can.

This year we had 9 (6M/3F) thur-hikers that I have paperwork on. I know that there were a few others who did not apply for End-to-End status.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

wahoo
07-03-2008, 09:16
HH - I agree!
Glad to hear that there are folks thru hiking and having a wonderful experience.
What 20 miles have you not hiked?

Hammock Hanger
07-03-2008, 09:33
HH - I agree!
Glad to hear that there are folks thru hiking and having a wonderful experience.
What 20 miles have you not hiked?

There is a section in the Apalachicola Nat'l Forest. From Villa Campsite north to FR 314 (I don't have my book so not sure exactly what the road was that we (Little Bear and Beaufort) started at on my last hike.

It is almost a 4 hour ride from my house and out in the middle of nowhere, which is why it has not yet been finished. I hate having a measly 20 miles holding me back from finishing!!

MOWGLI
07-03-2008, 09:36
There is a section in the Apalachicola Nat'l Forest. From Villa Campsite north to FR 314 (I don't have my book so not sure exactly what the road was that we (Little Bear and Beaufort) started at on my last hike.

It is almost a 4 hour ride from my house and out in the middle of nowhere, which is why it has not yet been finished. I hate having a measly 20 miles holding me back from finishing!!

All in good time my Dear. Glad to hear your knee is feeling better.

Knocky
07-06-2008, 09:02
Anytime yall are hiking up near the Ocala Forest section, give me a shout. I am not far and do some shuttling for the hikers out of Juniper. I am sure ready to hike some more myself....who wants to go with me?:D

I am up in Gainesville, and do a bit of hiking in the Ocala National Forest myself. A few friends from around Florida are going to join me at Juniper Springs in Sept, for a two night stroll through the scrub. :)

Hammock Hanger
07-06-2008, 19:47
All in good time my Dear. Glad to hear your knee is feeling better.

I have been through 2 regimes of PT.
Changed my anti-inflammatory 3 times (finally found one that seems to work).
Have had an MRI (it showed NO tears). :)
Had a cork lift made for my shoe that forces me to put more pressure on the outer knee vs the inner knee bone, which is where the majority of the bone spurs are. (Looks like a 3 inch blade on a saw. OUCH!:eek:)
Had a cortisone injection.
Heading back to the Dr on Wed, hoping that he will start the Synvisc injections.

I have not been out to hike since you and Mark got me safely off the trail. Many invites but I have been to chicken to give it a try. :(

Gray Blazer
07-07-2008, 17:34
I am up in Gainesville, and do a bit of hiking in the Ocala National Forest myself. A few friends from around Florida are going to join me at Juniper Springs in Sept, for a two night stroll through the scrub. :)
:welcome from Gainesville!!

Sly
07-07-2008, 18:00

That's the section I want to do. Maybe this winter. I'll give you a shout.

greentick
07-07-2008, 18:02
I justed moved to Kingsland/St Mary's just across teh border. I'll try to make a get together (I work alot of weekends).

Hammock Hanger
07-07-2008, 18:17
I justed moved to Kingsland/St Mary's just across teh border. I'll try to make a get together (I work alot of weekends). Hello neighbor. I live 30 minutes down the road in JAX. Have you been over to Cumberland Island yet. Pretty place.

That's the section I want to do. Maybe this winter. I'll give you a shout. Winter is the best time to hike the Ocala. -- Come February the 7-70 hike is going to cross Eglin AFB. One of the prettiest hikes in FL. You should check it out.

Sly
07-07-2008, 18:21
Hello neighbor. I live 30 minutes down the road in JAX. Have you been over to Cumberland Island yet. Pretty place.

Winter is the best time to hike the Ocala. -- Come February the 7-70 hike is going to cross Eglin AFB. One of the prettiest hikes in FL. You should check it out.

Hey HH, what's the 7-70 hike? Is Elgin near Ocala? Sorry I don't have a guidebook or maps yet.

Also, I agree Cumberland Island is a great place.

greentick
07-07-2008, 18:25
Hello neighbor. I live 30 minutes down the road in JAX. Have you been over to Cumberland Island yet. Pretty place.

Winter is the best time to hike the Ocala. -- Come February the 7-70 hike is going to cross Eglin AFB. One of the prettiest hikes in FL. You should check it out.

Going to Cumberland this week for an overnighter with my brother and some of our kids. Unfortunately the fire has shut down the backcountry campsites. I look forward to going in the future with my younger kids (4,3,1, and one on the way:D).

Gray Blazer
07-07-2008, 19:37

I'll go anywhere you say. Just don't forget the handcuffs this time. :banana

Hammock Hanger
07-07-2008, 22:36
Hey HH, what's the 7-70 hike? Is Elgin near Ocala? Sorry I don't have a guidebook or maps yet.

Also, I agree Cumberland Island is a great place.Eglin is over in the Panhandle. The 7-70 hike is 70 miles in 7 days. Not hardcore hiking but there are always some newbies and this allows them to hike and pick the brain of the more experienced. Pretty area.

BumpJumper
07-08-2008, 20:19
Gray...you are a nut.

Ok guys, when are we going to have another get together?

Hammock Hanger
07-08-2008, 20:36
Gray...you are a nut.

I would love to try and make this one... I will be out of the country from mid-September to the end of October.

If it turns out to be when I return make sure you shoot me an email, as I do not always visit WB.

Of course the kids are suppose to be playing nice these days, so I will visit more often.

BumpJumper
07-08-2008, 21:06
I will be sure to do that Sue.
Hey, anything on if we are going to try the Suannee for Thanksgiving?

Hammock Hanger
07-08-2008, 22:10

I'll check on that.

wahoo
07-09-2008, 08:08
Would folks prefer to get together when it's cooler weather, or sooner?

MOWGLI
07-09-2008, 08:12
I have not been out to hike since you and Mark got me safely off the trail. Many invites but I have been to chicken to give it a try. :(

Not "chicken." Sensible is more like it.

I wanna hike St Marks NWR again. That was an awesome hike - in every sense.

Gray Blazer
07-09-2008, 10:21
That sounds like a great idea.

Hammock Hanger
07-09-2008, 10:52
Not "chicken." Sensible is more like it.

I wanna hike St Marks NWR again. That was an awesome hike - in every sense.

NO, I am not sensible. I just got back from the doctor's and he has come to the conclusion that after months of seeing each other, it is over!! Actually what he said was that there is really nothing he can do until I become a candidate for the knee replacement, which they will not do at my age.

His advice, walk no more then 2-3 miles a day on level terrain with no weight. When I mentioned the reason I came in the first place, SPAIN!! His reply was not in this decade.

I am NOT sensible, I refuse to cancel. I will choke down as many pills as I can safely pop. I am not ready to stop. I don't need the knee replacement when I am old, I need it NOW so I can enjoy my life.

I am being irrational I know, but I just got home and the session is still raw in my brain. So, what do I do go straight to the hiking forums. Am I glutton for punishment or what!:(

GMcClain20
07-11-2008, 16:29
I'd love to do the St. Marks hike Mowgli. I've been interested ever since I read that report.

Hammock Hanger........NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Hammock Hanger
07-11-2008, 17:16
I'd love to do the St. Marks hike Mowgli. I've been interested ever since I read that report.

OKAY!!! Not so whiny today. :)

St Mark's is a beautiful place. Have you thought about the 7-70 hike through Eglin AFB with FTA in February??

MOWGLI
07-11-2008, 17:23

It's a great winter hike. Maybe early in 2009. Lets stay in touch. Perhaps we could get a small group together to do it.

Footslogger
07-11-2008, 17:51
Maybe the Florida Trail is where I need to be hiking. Relatively flat and mostly near sea level :-?

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
07-11-2008, 18:09
Maybe the Florida Trail is where I need to be hiking. Relatively flat and mostly near sea level :-?

'Slogger

It is a very unique and varied trail. Flat yes, but more then one hiker has been surprised that it is NOT all that easy. A trail worth hiking.

Footslogger
07-11-2008, 18:44
It is a very unique and varied trail. Flat yes, but more then one hiker has been surprised that it is NOT all that easy. A trail worth hiking.
=================================

I lived in Florida for about 6 - 7 years back in the 70's. Might be a nice walk down memory lane. Might just have to add it to my "bucket list"

'Slogger

cannonball
07-11-2008, 18:46
OKAY!!! Not so whiny today. :)

St Mark's is a beautiful place. Have you thought about the 7-70 hike through Eglin AFB with FTA in February??

I could'nt seem to find any info on FT web site about the 7-70 this winter. Is it too early for them to post it?
BTW, my "bride" and I are entering our 20th year of matrimonial bliss this fall.;)

Hammock Hanger
07-11-2008, 21:51
I could'nt seem to find any info on FT web site about the 7-70 this winter. Is it too early for them to post it?
BTW, my "bride" and I are entering our 20th year of matrimonial bliss this fall.;)

Yes, I do believe that Deb will not advertise the hike till it gets a little closer. From what I know it will be around President's Day. It is a mild hike of 70 miles in 7 days. This gives newbies a chance to test the waters and to pick the more experienced brains. Eglin AFB is a beautiful area. The size of the group will be limited to 10 as we must stay at established campsites while on the AFB.

You are in the same "honeymoon stage" as I am with my hubby & best friend of 27. Congrats. Who says a good thing can't last!!:banana

slow
07-16-2008, 19:08
Gray...you are a nut.

Bump,let's go Aug 15th at juniper.

Hammock Hanger
07-16-2008, 19:42

Have fun. If you don't drown in the humidity the squeeters will carry you away.

slow
07-16-2008, 20:33
Have fun. If you don't drown in the humidity the squeeters will carry you away.

No prob.Spend many 5-7 day with no food or water to start with in FL over the 30 yr's..BUGS,HEAT?

BumpJumper
07-21-2008, 13:36
Hell no Slow. Are you crazy?
I am not into dying from heat. I will wait til fall.

Two Winds '97
07-27-2008, 18:07
So, I am thinking of thru-hiking the FT this winter. My parents still live in Jacksonville and I've wanted to hike it for years, and the 'timeframe' is from just after Thanksgiving to when I finish.

What direction should I hike?
How is water?
Weather?
Resupplying?
ect...

Hammock Hanger
07-27-2008, 18:36
So, I am thinking of thru-hiking the FT this winter. My parents still live in Jacksonville and I've wanted to hike it for years, and the 'time frame' is from just after Thanksgiving to when I finish.

What direction should I hike?
How is water?
Weather?
Resupplying?
ect...

There is no better way then another, my preference is South to North, keeping the sun on your back. Dec - Mar are the best months. It takes about 3 months.

During a normal season it really is not hard to find water. It should be treated per the FTA. Some years there will be more water then you want and you will have some swampy areas to hike through. I found this a cool adventure.

Weather can be hot, and hotter in the south and then throw in a cold day. It will most likely be cold as you get north especially in the Panhandle in Feb. So, you need to be prepared for both.

You should have plenty of opportunity to resupply at small convenience stores and a few larger groceries. I recommend that you get the FTA Thru-hiker Handbook. Full of great planning info. Also email the FTA (www.floridatrail.org (http://www.floridatrail.org)) and ask for a Thru-hiker packet. It will have info and forms that you will need to fill out prior to your hike. Your trek will take you through an Indian reservation and the permission form will be in that packet.

The are many places where you will hike by a PO. I recommend carrying the maps.

Hope this helps you get started. BTW: I live in JAX, so if you visit the folks and want to meet let me know.

Hammock Hanger (FTA Long Distance Hikers Committee Chairperson)

highway
07-27-2008, 18:47
WAHOO...I just put together a big get together this last fall. Sorry you missed it. I cooked up some good grub for everybody...Ask Slow...he loved it...

We can hit it again...I would love to.

What about this year...as soon as the heat of summer passes some

wahoo
07-28-2008, 08:17
Yep, we need to start working out a date so that everyone has enough notice to fit it in. Maybe October?

BumpJumper
08-04-2008, 16:20
Last year it was in Nov. and it was cold as a witches tit. We had a blast. We should shoot for November again.

JaxHiker
08-08-2008, 21:06
Man, I was planning on being at Juniper the 15th but I think something's come up that, unless I can worm my way out of it, I'll have to skip.

However, I'm set to make a hike with some friends through Ocala Natl Forest in Sept and I'm planning another through Osceola in Oct with a co-worker. Looking forward to both of those.

highway
08-23-2008, 14:22
I have questions about the title of this thread-Thru hiking the Florida Trail.

It looks like I have some winter time this year (and since downhills are scarce, which ruined my knees on the AT this year) I am seriously considering starting it from its southern terminus...where is it?

How much road walking?

Which guide books to get?

Maps necessary at all, since it is marked ? (I have walked Tosohatchee many times and Ocala some times, and they are all marked well...but I have maps/each)

Mostly I just need guide book and map experiences of those who have walked it.

I started back walking and my knees do not hurt anymore but I am staying away from descents for a while

Thanks or your help

Hammock Hanger
08-23-2008, 20:39
I have questions about the title of this thread-Thru hiking the Florida Trail.

It looks like I have some winter time this year (and since downhills are scarce, which ruined my knees on the AT this year) I am seriously considering starting it from its southern terminus...where is it?

How much road walking?

Which guide books to get?

Maps necessary at all, since it is marked ? (I have walked Tosohatchee many times and Ocala some times, and they are all marked well...but I have maps/each)

Mostly I just need guide book and map experiences of those who have walked it.

I started back walking and my knees do not hurt anymore but I am staying away from descents for a while

Thanks or your help

The Florida Trail is a great winter hike. Usually takes about 3-3 1/2 months.

There is road walking scattered about through-out the length of the trail. I can't give you an exact percentage but my guess is 25-30%.

There is a great FL Trail Thru-Hikers handbook. It makes the planning and food drops easy to figure out. -- I feel that the book is too big to carry on the trail, but there is a small pocket-size data boo that you can get as well. It is very useful.

I personally feel that the maps are needed but that is a personal call.

I will say that some days my knees still hurt but the Florida descents are much easier on the knees.

You should contact the FTA and request a "Thru-hiker" packet. Great information and the form that you will need to fill out to get permission to walk across the Seminole Indian Reservation.

Please contact me if you have any questions. I have a hiker haven in my home for hikers as they reach the Goldhead/Olustee area.

I track the long distance hikers for the FTA so please keep me in on your plans.

Sue "Hammock Hanger" Turner, Long Distance Hikers Committee Chairperson