PDA

View Full Version : Trail Name - How'd You Get Yours?

Monkeywrench
06-19-2008, 08:33
Just out of idle curiosity, I'd like to hear the story behind your trail name. Did you pick your own or was it given to you? Under what circumstance?

warraghiyagey
06-19-2008, 08:34
I got hit by lightning and that's what came out.

Doughnut
06-19-2008, 08:39
Mine is simple, NO, I am not a COP,
I was in a hunting club, I sighned out as Doug H since I didn't know if another doug was in the club, Later the manager kept asking (loud and obnoxiously) "Who's DougH?", of course we heard it as "Whose DOE?" (we were deer hunting)
Later, I signed on for on-line poker, and my name is considered obscene (HanCOCK - as in the Declaration of Independence) therefore I became dough - which was taken, so I became Dough Nut.

Aren't you glad you asked??

doughNut

notorius tic
06-19-2008, 08:53
Got Lyme in 07>::

Prickly Bear
06-19-2008, 09:01
Being a disputatious and argumentative type I was often called a "Prickly old B-stard with the demeanor of an old Polar Bear by my fellow altruist associates. It stuck.

Grrr

warren doyle
06-19-2008, 12:31
From my mother and father.

DesertMTB
06-19-2008, 12:42

Pfft. They said your trialname. You know assh0le.

Mags
06-19-2008, 12:43

Close for me. My hard to pronounce last name came from Dad.

I really don't have a trail name. Just a nickname that is used on the trail.

Most people in the "real world" call me Paul Mags or just Mags. Just don't call me "Paulie Mags" as some people back East do. Only Mom can get away with calling me "Paulie". :)

Mags
06-19-2008, 12:43

I thought it was pretty funny myself. :sun

Hey..a good trialname would be Matlock!

Mrs Baggins
06-19-2008, 13:01
Because I'm short, LOVE Lord of the Rings, and I'm more a Hobbit than a lady Elf!

JERMM
06-19-2008, 13:22
My Great-grandmother called me Rabbit when I was little. When I registered on WB and other hiking forums I was asked what my trail name was, Rabbit came to mind so I used it. The initial "J" is used only when another Rabbit has already registered, geez, rabbits are everywhere.

Monkeywrench
06-19-2008, 13:31

Ah yes, the old-fashioned way!

warren doyle
06-19-2008, 13:35

I don't have a trialname either.
Mean-spirited post though.

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2008, 13:37
Even Mr. Doyle must be chuckling at that one!

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2008, 13:37
Mean-spirited post though.Ooops! Guess not!

Monkeywrench
06-19-2008, 13:38
My Great-grandmother called me Rabbit when I was little. When I registered on WB and other hiking forums I was asked what my trail name was, Rabbit came to mind so I used it. The initial "J" is used only when another Rabbit has already registered, geez, rabbits are everywhere.

I have a few nicknames. When I was a kid my dad called me Skipper because I never went anywhere without his old white navy cap on my head. Nowadays a few people call me Bicycle Boy and/or Coco Buns (it's a long story having to do with my well-toned tukas), and my wife calls me... well, never mind what my wife calls me. But I'm not sure I would want any of those nicknames as my trail name.

rafe
06-19-2008, 13:43
Self-named.... Slow and ugly. I relate to these two critters.

http://www.vinylzart.com/images/AlbumCovers-GratefulDead-TerrapinStation%281977%29.jpg

some walk... some crawl... some climb... to get to terrapin

DesertMTB
06-19-2008, 14:02
Mean-spirited post though.

I appologize for that post. I am embarrassed. Sincerely

faarside
06-19-2008, 15:52
I most often (and most recently) go by Faarside, which was a trailname given to me while on one of my mid-1990 section hikes. I often quote humor from the Farside comic by Gary Larson, and folks on the trail who got to know me would greet me many times saying "... hey, farside, what's up?". I would frequently reply with some Larson humor. The name stuck; however, I modified it by adding the extra "a" in the name making it Faarside so as to avoid copyright infringement and long, protracted legal battles (just kidding ... LoL).

My original trailname, WhiteHorse, has a more complicated origin. It was given to me by my Grandmother while taking long hikes with her during my youth. She would often say I worked like a horse, carrying things for her during our hikes, a horse the likes of which she recalled from her earlier years while still living in Europe. When my Father heard my Grandmother describing this, he added, "yes, like the great White Horse of Canongate Edinburgh which White Horse Scotch is named for". And, that was that - I was WhiteHorse.

My Grandmother passed away years ago at age 100, and I retain my Whitehorse trailname to honor her.

Happy Trails!

Bearpaw
06-19-2008, 16:09
While in the Marine Corps, I had a short wide foot (9EE).

While drawing gear for a Norway deployment, I asked for this size of vapor barrier boot and our salty Master Sergeant joked that with feet that size, I wouldn't need my bearpaws (short round snowshoes for wearing around camp in civilian life or for switching from skis to more agile footing for an assault). Thus I was dubbed Lt. Bearpaw.

The name sort of stuck, and I stenciled bearpaws on much of my military gear, instead of initials. I also stenciled one on my leg with a tattoo. After I finished with my thru-hike, I added a full six paws, one for each month of my thru-hike.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/temp/bptat.jpg

Some people think it is because I have big hands also:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Bear%20Wallow%20Gap/P2090024s.jpg

But the name is for the lower paws......

Kerosene
06-19-2008, 17:14
Given by my classmates after an evening of trying to pick up a sweet young thing at the Buffalo Yacht Club, who abruptly and unceremoniously departed when her friends left. It's a take-off on my surname, Karaman, and implies crash-and-burn.

Creek Dancer
06-19-2008, 17:27
Got mine after several failed water crossings in St. Mary's Wilderness!

drastic_quench
06-20-2008, 16:03
Self titled. It's a Neil Young song about the conquistador. The lyric that opens and closes the tune is "he came dancing across the water". If you ever see me "gracefully" crossing a stream, you'd know it's tongue in cheek.

Besides, it sounds much less obvious and trailname-esque than "waterdancer" -- blegh.

camojack
06-20-2008, 18:25
I was dubbed "Camo" 'cause of wearing camouflage pants all the time...a habit I got into while I was in the military.

As for my screen name, the "Jack" part is my non-trail name...

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 19:27
I gave birth to an opera singer, a drummer, and a guitar player.

If only I could have stayed married long enough to have a bassist......:-?

Corporal_Dusty
06-20-2008, 19:58
I have a few. I like all of them for various reasons. Haven't totally settled on one. Whatever fits my mood at the time :D
Mouse, my fiance nicknamed me that when we were first going out. I'm Mouse and he's Cat :sun
Dusty came from work. I do construction, lots of sheetrock and spackling. I'm always covered in dust from that stuff, so my best friend started calling me Dusty when we were first working together.
Duckie came from another good friend of mine. Everytime he'd call me up and ask how I was, my answer was always "Just Duckie, and you?" hahaha He started calling me Duckie after awhile, then he added a few variations...Duckster, Duckinator etc...It's quite comical really. :banana

Tagless
06-20-2008, 20:17
My trail name is "Tagless" - suggested by my daughter after she was informed that I cut all tags out of all of my hiking gear and clothing. My wife coined the name "Tag Along," seemingly appropriate as I typically lead the way as we hike on the trail.

We plan to be a part of the Class of 2009. Can't wait!

kanga
06-20-2008, 20:19
I have too much energy. Especially around rock scrambles.

Heater
06-20-2008, 20:53
Because I'm short, LOVE Lord of the Rings, and I'm more a Hobbit than a lady Elf!

I am glad you straightened that out.

I was thinking big hairy feet. :D

Cabin Fever
06-20-2008, 21:03
Chronic Illness