PDA

View Full Version : recommend a headlamp please!!!

Gumbi
06-19-2008, 13:10
I am looking for a headlamp that uses a common battery size (AAA or AA), able to use lithium batteries, small and lightweight, and I value long battery life much more than brightness (in fact I would like it to have a red led as well). Can anyone make any suggestions?

Has anyone used lithium batteries in a petzyl headlamp? any problems with it?

Locutus
06-19-2008, 13:34
I picked up a headlamp at walmart for less than $10, uses AAA's and works great. Even came with energizer batteries.

Gumbi
06-19-2008, 13:40
That's what I had, but it broke! I was looking to upgrade from a Wally world product.

warren doyle
06-19-2008, 13:41
A $14.74 LED headlight from Wal-Mart works for me.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-19-2008, 13:47
Princeton Tec Scout (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=30622146) - $19.95

Footslogger
06-19-2008, 13:52
I depends a bit on how you are going to use the headlamp. If all you need is something to illuminate your tent or read by then a simple 2 - 3 LED model will do ...something like the original Petzl Tikka.

If you are going to use the headlamp for night hiking you need something with a lot more umph (range and brightness).

'Slogger

Gumbi
06-19-2008, 14:06
I plan on using it mainly for cooking and around the tent chores. Thanks for your input!

minnesotasmith
06-19-2008, 14:12
Get ones that the on/off switch requires pressing to activate. The ones that turn on/off by sliding will too easily come on by themselves in your pack, wearing down the batteries for no good reason.

Taking out the batteries til you need the light is no solution, either. Many headlamps are a bit of a PITA to get the batteries in and out, some requiring a tool or coin. Also, when you need one, it tends to be dark, and who wants to be fiddling with making a light source work when it's already dark? Sure, you can use the other one to see by while you do it, but then (if it's a slide-on type, too) it's been exposed to the risk of running down batteries uselessly, and it's not really a spare then...

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2008, 14:15
I have a Petzl Zipka Plus that is excellent, no complaints at all. I did extensive research before buying it.

However, it is two years old and it is possible that a better headlamp has come out in the meantime. There have been great improvements in LEDs in that time. I am satisfied and wouldn't think of spending the money on a better one even if available, but it is possible that I would purchase a different one if it were better and I didn't have one at all or had a crappy one.

Some headlamps can use lithium batteries and some cannot. You can call the manufacturer if their website or the packaging does not give the information. I don't remember what the problem it causes is but it has to do with either the bulb or the electronics.

My experience with the Zipka Plus is that regular alkalines last a very, very long time, and the light dims slowly as the battery ages, so you have weeks to replace the batteries even if you are using it for several hours a night. Battery life has never been a concern for me and I do not carry spares. I would only carry spares if my batteries were dimming and I hiked at night, even then I would probably just replace the old batteries and not carry the extra weight.

jlb2012
06-19-2008, 14:32
Some headlamps can use lithium batteries and some cannot. You can call the manufacturer if their website or the packaging does not give the information. I don't remember what the problem it causes is but it has to do with either the bulb or the electronics.

The problem with lithium batteries is that they have a lower internal resistance and slightly higher voltage which results in higher current in the LED which results in more heat in the LED which results in much shorter lifetime for the LED. The headlamps that will handle both types of batteries use a regulator circuit to limit the current through the LED.

funkcicle
06-19-2008, 14:33
I have a Fuel 3-led headlamp that I got for around $25 from Bass Pro Shop and love it. It runs on 3 AAA's and has 3 settings, I almost always use it on the dimmest setting. The brightest settings is BRIGHT, almost like those obnoxious halogen bulbs. Don't know how many hours I've put on it, but it's been through about 8 nights in the woods so far(including one all-nighter where i used it much on the high setting gathering fire wood) and I'm still on my first set of batteries. The specs allege 50-160 hrs uptime. You can also fix the angle at which it shines, which is handy to avoid blasting people in the face with it, and it's light (~2.5oz).

Here it is at Dick's for $21: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3102762

cheers

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2008, 14:38
The problem with lithium batteries is that they have a lower internal resistance and slightly higher voltage which results in higher current in the LED which results in more heat in the LED which results in much shorter lifetime for the LED. The headlamps that will handle both types of batteries use a regulator circuit to limit the current through the LED.Thanks for the summary, I could have Googled it but electricity was never one of my favorite things and I read about this a while ago and forgot it. I guess it has to do with the electronics AND the bulb.

4eyedbuzzard
06-19-2008, 14:42
I plan on using it mainly for cooking and around the tent chores. Thanks for your input!

You might want to also consider the Petzl e+ http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesGammes?Gamme=128 if you don't need a high power headlamp. All the outfitters have them if you want to look at one. Very light weight (< 1 oz) and pretty damn bright. Also has a red LED. Runs off of flat watch batteries though and doesn't meet your AA/AAA criteria. You can buy the watch batteries at a big discount from retail though if you buy a 10 pack online.

rafe
06-19-2008, 14:46
Princeton Tec Scout (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=30622146) - $19.95

I'll second that recommendation. Cheap and light, pretty much all you need. The only downside is that it uses button cells (nice & light -- but considerably more expensive than AAAs.)

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2008, 14:49
I'll second that recommendation. Cheap and light, pretty much all you need. The only downside is that it uses button cells (nice & light -- but considerably more expensive than AAAs.)Button cells are extremely expensive and would make that headlamp MUCH more expensive over its life cycle.

However, believe it or not, some "regular" batteries are just a bunch of encased button batteries. You can Google up which ones and how to open them to get the button batteries out. I probably wouldn't do this for an expensive watch, but for a $20 headlamp I most certainly would.

Time To Fly 97
06-19-2008, 15:04
Petzl Tikka Plus - had mine for years, abused the heck out of it including submersion in my lake...flawless and puts out more light than the tactikka (except on 10 second "zoom")

Happy hiking!

TTF

Tennessee Viking
06-19-2008, 15:05
Energizer makes a great line of headlamps very cheap at most retailers.

nova
06-19-2008, 15:19
I agree: Pztl T Plus is a real truck of a lamp. I took a look at the Pztl E+lite, but I noticed the complicated settings. I had a real difficult time trying to figure out what setting to use while on my head. But, I guess once you get used to it, you just get it right. Besides, its only one ounce, and with red light and all. Nonetheless, i did'nt buy it. nova

Wags
06-19-2008, 15:29
for me it's the petzel zipka plus. i haven't had a need yet to have it turned up beyond the lowest setting. battery life is good and it's a proven winner for many hikers. personally i'd rather spend a little more up front than to try to cut corners, save 10 bucks, and have to buy a new one next year

Summit
06-19-2008, 15:37
Petzl's a good line if you're willing to spend a little more (or find on sale if lucky). Choose your price and bells and whistles according to your needs. If no night hiking in the plans, then the low end models should serve you well.

rafe
06-19-2008, 15:41
Button cells are extremely expensive and would make that headlamp MUCH more expensive over its life cycle.

However, believe it or not, some "regular" batteries are just a bunch of encased button batteries. You can Google up which ones and how to open them to get the button batteries out. I probably wouldn't do this for an expensive watch, but for a $20 headlamp I most certainly would.

I'm pretty sure you could order the batteries online and get them at a fraction of retail, but that would require getting your spares in mail drops, a bit of a PITA. For what it's worth, mine went for nearly 700 miles worth of hiking on the original cells, and was still usable just before I finally replaced the cells. Battery cost wasn't a huge concern -- this is a terrapin budget, not a fiddlehead budget. ;)

Lyle
06-19-2008, 16:25
You might want to also consider the Petzl e+ http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesGammes?Gamme=128 if you don't need a high power headlamp.

This is what I've used for several trips now. Plenty bright for finding and rigging a bear tree after dark. Ideal for reading or cooking on the low setting, and I would feel very comfortable hiking after dark if necessary. Probably would go with a bigger light if I planned routine night hiking. As far as complicated switch, not really. Actually, quite convenient as it is a simple lever, and either end of it's range is off.

So many choices...

Summit
06-19-2008, 17:33
this is a terrapin budget, not a fiddlehead budget. ;)So which one is $200 vs. $8,000? :eek:

On my last hike in Shining Rock Wilderness, I did about a 30-min. night hike to a campsite from the trailhead. First time night hiking with my Petzl Tactikka and the diffuser lens came in very handy as I was in and out of fog. The diffuser is great until you hit fog, and then you flip it back to let the "high beam" blast through the fog.

Since Petzls get such great life out of regular AAA batteries, which are easier to come by along the AT, finding current regulated ones that take Lithium batteries is moot to me. Maybe if you're doing extensive winter hiking, that might warrant that path.

rafe
06-19-2008, 18:40
So which one is $200 vs. $8,000? :eek:

Yes.

I don't do much night hiking, so replacement batteries for the headlamp weren't a big concern. Plus I'm pretty frugal with headlamp use.

I'm kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum from FH. Career, good income, blah blah -- but very little free time. That part sucks, to tell the truth.

If it weren't for health care coverage, I'd retire and move to a hovel in the boonies... and hike a whole lot more.

dla
06-19-2008, 20:30
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/30943-46152-571.html

The enduro, which used to be sold as the "RiverRock" at Target, is a regulated, lightweight, tough headlamp. It has enough light to trail hike with. Uses 2xAAA batteries. High/low/off rubber clickey. It really is waterproof and very rugged - mainly due to it's low mass.

gaga
06-19-2008, 21:12
Black Diamond Zenix IQ Headlamp

k-spar
06-19-2008, 22:30
I love my petzl e+. I had a tikka that flickered a bit, must have had a bad connection somewhere. The e+ is super light, solid, and everything i need in a lamp for a tiny weight. Carrying extra batteries on the trail barely weighs anything, and the case it comes with is small, sleek and waterproof, and fits an extra couple of batteries nicely too.

dmax
06-19-2008, 22:48
I usually use my petzl zipka. I've had it for years and its held up great. If I'm out on a hike with my son I'll take the petzl tikka plus, just incase I need the extra light. Both of them work fine for all my night hikes.

LIhikers
06-20-2008, 12:17
Princeton Tec Quad
4 LEDs make enough light for night hiking or use one of the dimmer settings around camp. It takes AAA batteries and can use the lithium type, like you're looking for. Plus the batteries seem to last for a long time. I don't know how long as I haven't had to change mine yet :)
There are plenty of lights that do this stuff but the way you change the batteries is what sold me. The battery cover has an actual hinge and is held shut by a small thumb screw. No more prying open the battery cover and hoping nothing breaks!

Rainman
06-24-2008, 14:47
Black Diamond Spot. I like it better than my Princeton Tec EOS. It has a setting with one bright LED in a spotlight for hiking and a setting with three small LEDs for working around camp. I have night hiked in the rain with the spotlight setting and had no problems.

leeki pole
06-24-2008, 15:24
I really like my L.L. Bean Pathfinder cap, two LED's and very bright. Got it last September, use it every night for 30 minutes or so walking the dogs and still as bright as day one. It does use the flat batteries, though. The cool thing is seeing the spiders in the grass, their eyes reflecting the light!
Dual use, cap and light is what I like.

Pedaling Fool
06-24-2008, 16:10
I picked up a headlamp at walmart for less than $10, uses AAA's and works great. Even came with energizer batteries.
You probably have something similar to mine (http://www.castawaylakes.com/RayovacHeadlamp.html), but I don't remember paying 17 bucks.

gaga
06-24-2008, 21:18
Everlite EL-8 Solar Headlamp
Charge your light (and cell phone, too!) with this bright lamp and its companion solar panel.

Creaky
06-24-2008, 23:56
For around camp and in the tent: Zipka, but it doesn't have quite enough Zip for regular walking in the dark.

mkmangold
06-25-2008, 13:54
Everlite EL-8 Solar Headlamp
Charge your light (and cell phone, too!) with this bright lamp and its companion solar panel.

That's similar to what I do. I have the 9volt light (http://www.9voltlight.com/) which I put on a rechargeable battery. This I velcro to the underside of my visor at night. During the day, I recharge the battery with a small solar charger.

Gumbi
08-05-2008, 16:04
I ended up going with a Princeton Tech quad. I love it. Waterproof, regulated, long-lasting batteries, powerful enough to hike by if necessary, and a thumb-screw latch that won't break on me. The only thing that I would change is the sequence of brightness when turning the lamp on. I would start with the lowest setting rather than the highest setting.

take-a-knee
08-05-2008, 21:05

I have found mine too dim to read by in my hammock, that thing is compact and light though, it might work great for eyes half my age. I have a Petzal and I've just bought a Princeton Tec so I could use Li AAA's.

Egads
08-05-2008, 21:37
Black Diamond Icon
3 watts rechargeable NiMH battery

Big and heavy (6.6 oz) but lights the woods way better than any other light I've seen

http://www.rei.com/product/745183

LIhikers
08-05-2008, 22:08
I have a Princeton Tec Quad and like it.
Bright enough to hike by, if you want to.
VERY easy to change the batteries, no prying the case open and hoping it doesn't break.