PDA

View Full Version : Bear Gunned Down By Police

Locutus
06-19-2008, 15:08
Terrible...

http://www.wjactv.com/news/16646590/detail.html

Phreak
06-19-2008, 15:17
Unbelievable... senseless killing of bear.

Gumbi
06-19-2008, 15:19
Alot of things should have been done differently here.

STEVEM
06-19-2008, 15:24
Small town cops love to kill stuff. Now the taxpayers will have to buy them a new box of bullets.

envirodiver
06-19-2008, 15:28
What an overreaction by these officers.

Sounds like it would be a dangerous place to look like you might be doing something wrong. This will likely hit National news and blow up in their faces.

darkage
06-19-2008, 15:50
Yeah ... seriously uncalled for ... i hope your right envirodiver and it blows up in there face ... i'll be posting this to get it out ... i'm damn shamed it happened in my home state ... cops had no balls, it was clearly not charging anyone and running towards the woods to get away from people ... which is a black bears first thought because of idiots like these .... """HAAA HAA FRED, today at work we got to shoot us a bear"""

Shame that bear didn't charge one of um if thats all it was gonna get for fleeing.

envirodiver
06-19-2008, 15:53
i'm damn shamed it happened in my home state

Authority is misused in many places on a daily basis. Certainly not limited to PA.

Freeleo
06-19-2008, 16:06
and boasted on over beers at night

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-19-2008, 16:22
Sad and senseless. I hope the fitness of the officers is in question by superiors at this point. I don't want men or women with judgment this poor to be wearing badges or guns around me or my kids, grandkids or great-grandkids.

oops56
06-19-2008, 16:39
I just cant say what i like to say on here must keep it clean damn:mad::mad::mad:

Jan LiteShoe
06-19-2008, 16:42
That was painful to read.

Jason of the Woods
06-19-2008, 16:52
They thought that he had a weapon.? Wow!

4eyedbuzzard
06-19-2008, 16:53
Sad. And the official comments were pretty trite. http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/state/pennsylvania/20080619_ap_paresidentsgrowlaboutpoliceshootingofb ear.html

I'd like to hear the entire story before passing judgement though. I don't like the idea that they shot the bear. But I also know that in such a situation, if they were to NOT shoot the bear and then the bear injured someone the cops would be crucified for NOT shooting it when they had the chance.

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2008, 17:01
People have gobbled up all the land and then won't leave the poor animals alone.

sheepdog
06-19-2008, 17:34
I'm sorry about the bear, but I'm gonna ride with the cops until the story is clear. There are a lot of holes that need filling.

dessertrat
06-19-2008, 17:44
They thought that he had a weapon.? Wow!

It turned out to be a cell phone. But you know it was justified, what with all this talk about the right to arm bears.

Edit: I just watched the video. It's a stupid shooting, and they will be lucky not to get sued by the spectator they tackled.

Freeleo
06-19-2008, 17:46
It turned out to be a cell phone. But you know it was justified, what with all this talk about the right to arm bears.

not that there is funny:D

Odd Thomas
06-19-2008, 18:51
What an overreaction by these officers.

Sounds like it would be a dangerous place to look like you might be doing something wrong. This will likely hit National news and blow up in their faces.

They thought they saw him pull a gun.

Odd Thomas
06-19-2008, 18:52

doh, someone beat me to it :o

rafe
06-19-2008, 18:54
I'm sorry about the bear, but I'm gonna ride with the cops until the story is clear. There are a lot of holes that need filling.

Too bad they can't fill the holes in the bear.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-19-2008, 19:38
Count the bullet holes in the bear, subtract from the 18 rounds expended and fire 1 cop for every missed shot. Then fire every cop who hit the bear.

oops56
06-19-2008, 19:53
So that be 18 cops right:-?

sheepdog
06-19-2008, 20:31
Too bad they can't fill the holes in the bear.
The 799,999 bears that stayed in the woods will live to reproduce. Darwinian science at its best.

Nicksaari
06-19-2008, 20:59
here in Richmond a few years ago, a woman and her toddler son were at maymont park, that includes a black bear habitat complete with two sweet, timid black bear. she, holding her son with food in his hand, walked over a fence and within arms reach of the fence, and let her child reach his hand in to feed one of the two bears. well to make a long story shirt, one of them bit his hand in the process, thus prompting the mother to demand the bears be tested for rabies. well, the thing is that bears have to be deceased for the rabies test to be preformed. they both were put down, to the sadness of the people, and a reluctant decision from the mayor. the mothers identity was never disclosed.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2008, 21:04
and the point of this?

TOW
06-19-2008, 21:04
Terrible...

no call for that at all, it seems..........

envirodiver
06-19-2008, 21:05

Do you think they stuck a "throwaway" in his paw?

Jimmers
06-19-2008, 21:09
The 799,999 bears that stayed in the woods will live to reproduce. Darwinian science at its best.

True. Then again, we also have 18 cops, on video, confirming the trigger happy/ excessive force loving cop stereotype. I'm sure their fellow officers will be thrilled.

sheepdog
06-19-2008, 21:18
True. Then again, we also have 18 cops, on video, confirming the trigger happy/ excessive force loving cop stereotype. I'm sure their fellow officers will be thrilled.
There has been a lot of stereotyping, but no finding of excessive force. I believe in letting the investigation run its course.

Jim Adams
06-19-2008, 21:54
ain't no problem. once a town bear...always a town bear. just like feeding them. the police probably avoided a future attack by killing the bear now. I am very familiar with the area...not alot of encroachment yet, plenty of mountains and woods. the bear didn't just wander into the town...it was looking for something. if this bear was in your house when you came home and tried to run away into the woods to get away, you all would complain that the authorities didn't do enough to protect you and your children. I am also tired of the general public interfering in my job and trying to tell me that they know more about being a paramedic than I do yet if I would let someone die...I am the a$$hole that did the wrong thing. the police were correct to stop the person obstructing the duties of the police. how many PEOPLE in the U.S. were uselessly killed that same day by vehicles yet i don't see anyone here calling for the elimination of cars!
sorry for the rant but as much as I am an anti governing / police person, I think the right actions were taken.

geek

Lilred
06-19-2008, 22:45
I agree with Jim. Bears don't just wander into towns with no purpose. Those same folks that were yelling at the police to let the bear go back to the woods, would be the same folks yelling at the police for not taking care of that bear the first time, when it came back and mauled some kid.

Similar story of sorts, I was in Key West back in the '80's, swimming off the pier, when a diver came up out of the water, asked his girlfriend for his spear, and came back up with a three foot moray eel that was in the swimming area. You should have heard the people there complaining that the eel had more right to be there than us humans. Really? They would have been singing a different tune, had they stepped near his hole and had their foot half ripped off.

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2008, 22:48
I agree with Jim. Bears don't just wander into towns with no purpose. Those same folks that were yelling at the police to let the bear go back to the woods, would be the same folks yelling at the police for not taking care of that bear the first time, when it came back and mauled some kid.

Similar story of sorts, I was in Key West back in the '80's, swimming off the pier, when a diver came up out of the water, asked his girlfriend for his spear, and came back up with a three foot moray eel that was in the swimming area. You should have heard the people there complaining that the eel had more right to be there than us humans. Really? They would have been singing a different tune, had they stepped near his hole and had their foot half ripped off.So let's just proactively kill all possible predator animals including other humans. That's the logical conclusion to the train of thought on which you've embarked.

Lilred
06-19-2008, 22:58
So let's just proactively kill all possible predator animals including other humans. That's the logical conclusion to the train of thought on which you've embarked.

I'm beginning to think some people on WB have lost their common sense. The moray eel was in the swimming area, iow, where people were walking and swimming. It was in fact, right at the bottom of the stairs that led into the water.

So, the logical conclusion to your train of thought, is, just let all predatory animals be, even when they are a direct threat to humans.

It never fails to amaze me when people put the welfare of an animal above the welfare of humans.

rafe
06-19-2008, 22:59
So let's just proactively kill all possible predator animals including other humans. That's the logical conclusion to the train of thought on which you've embarked.

Lilred is the newly (self-) appointed Whiteblaze Ethics Overseer and Enforcer. :banana

rafe
06-19-2008, 23:03
It never fails to amaze me when people put the welfare of an animal above the welfare of humans.

It never fails to amaze me that humans think their welfare trumps the right-to-life of any other species that might possibly threaten or inconvenience them. Extinction? No worries. We're Homo F*ing Sapiens., so eff you, Mr. Moray.

Lilred
06-19-2008, 23:05
Lilred is the newly (self-) appointed Whiteblaze Ethics Overseer and Enforcer. :banana

Whatsa matter Terrapin, got nobody to bully so you're gonna pick on me today? I thought you were going for a walk to get away from this nonsense. HAH!

You sure do beat all.

Lilred
06-19-2008, 23:11
It never fails to amaze me that humans think their welfare trumps the right-to-life of any other species that might possibly threaten or inconvenience them. Extinction? No worries. We're Homo F*ing Sapiens., so eff you, Mr. Moray.

OK Terrapin, when some black bear comes charging at you, and your only defense is to kill it, just stand there and let him maul you to death, cause obviously your welfare does not trump the right to life of that bear.

Here's a news flash for you Terrapin, human welfare does INDEED trump the right to life of any animal that threatens a human. Interesting how YOU added the words "or inconvenience" to what I originally said.

Once again, common sense takes a holiday.

sheepdog
06-19-2008, 23:16
Wasps build a nest by my door, I spray em. Yep I guess your right.

sheepdog
06-19-2008, 23:24
Good night. Lilred, let me know in the morning if you have any varmits that need killin.

fiddlehead
06-19-2008, 23:29
Doesn't surprise me, coming from PA. Most guys are hunters where i come from and some will shoot just about anything given the chance.

I just had some guys visiting me here in Thailand who were from my hometown. One night we got to drinking and lettin our true feelings out. Turns out, these 2 guys have shot: a zebra, a water buffalo, basically anything that's brown during deer season in PA, as well as 2-5 caribou each. And the usual: many deer, bear, antelope, and others.

I really can't see the thrill but since i live there and see most of my 4 brothers hunt, and most all of my friends, i believe it gets to be a braggin game after a while for many of them. To say they are doing it for the meat, well, i rembember my father shooting a deer one year and saying it was well over $300 a lb for that meat.

Yeah, you should've seen those guys eyeing up the elephants over here.

Lilred
06-19-2008, 23:30
Good night. Lilred, let me know in the morning if you have any varmits that need killin.

LOL thanks Sheepdog. Sleep well.

Locutus
06-20-2008, 10:32
I'm beginning to think some people on WB have lost their common sense. The moray eel was in the swimming area, iow, where people were walking and swimming. It was in fact, right at the bottom of the stairs that led into the water.

So, the logical conclusion to your train of thought, is, just let all predatory animals be, even when they are a direct threat to humans.

How about everyone just getting out of the swimming area until leaves? I was recently at the beach, and some huge rays came swimming by. The lifeguard didn't charge out there with a spear and kill them, he had us all get out of the water until they were gone....

I guess it certainly would have been more convenient for me if he had ran out there and speared it, then I wouldn't have had to wait around until it left.

Appalachian Tater
06-20-2008, 10:37
How about everyone just getting out of the swimming area until leaves? I was recently at the beach, and some huge rays came swimming by. The lifeguard didn't charge out there with a spear and kill them, he had us all get out of the water until they were gone....

I guess it certainly would have been more convenient for me if he had ran out there and speared it, then I wouldn't have had to wait around until it left.They should keep a helicopter ready to go at all times so they can drop depth charges. Or would they need a small ship for this?

sheepdog
06-20-2008, 10:47

I guess it certainly would have been more convenient for me if he had ran out there and speared it, then I wouldn't have had to wait around until it left.
Moray eels live in a hole. They don't just swim on by they take up residence.

Locutus
06-20-2008, 10:49
Moray eels live in a hole. They don't just swim on by they take up residence.

Well, I am no eel expert obviously, but since you seem to know a lot about them, what happens if you destroy their "residence"? Or, are they hard to catch?

darkage
06-20-2008, 11:11
Eel's are fairly easy to catch with a good fishing pole and chicken liver for bait ... yank um out of a local creek all the time ... gotta get um near dusk ....

Locutus
06-20-2008, 11:18
Then it seems to me relocating it would have been a better option.

sheepdog
06-20-2008, 11:19
Well, I am no eel expert obviously, but since you seem to know a lot about them, what happens if you destroy their "residence"? Or, are they hard to catch?
She said it was living under the steps that people used for the swimming area. There are lots of them. The simple way is to spear it and grill it on the barbie.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-20-2008, 11:26
Hmmm... eels are afraid of humans and are nocturnal. Why would an eel living in a hole under the stairs of a beach be a problem?

rafe
06-20-2008, 11:33
There was a time when folks routinely killed rattlesnakes, as a matter of course. I'm sure in some locales that's still the case. In an earlier age that was done to buffalo, bear, wolves, Indians... :rolleyes:

NICKTHEGREEK
06-20-2008, 11:34
So that be 18 cops right:-?
You and I know that but will the cops figure it out?

JAK
06-20-2008, 11:34
I'm trying not to judge here either.
Maybe a simple case of too many people.

sheepdog
06-20-2008, 11:40
Every time you open a pack of tuna, you kill something. Everytime you order a bucket of chicken, you kill something. Meat is not just something wrapped in celophane and stuck in a cooler. When you eat meat something dies. Natures rule not mine. I would rather live 6 months as a wild eel than 6 months as a penned chicken.
If you've ever been snorkling on a reef you know eels live in holes and are very defensive of their homes. Relocate the eel, eat the eel: there are lots of them and its all the same to me.
In Michigan that bear would not have gone to waste either. Smoke him slow over a maple wood fire and pass the bbq sauce.

neo
06-20-2008, 13:20
Terrible...

to bad,they should let the wild life mangement people handle it:cool:neo

Appalachian Tater
06-20-2008, 13:23
I would rather live 6 months as a wild eel than 6 months as a penned chicken.The chicken would probably agree!

sheepdog
06-20-2008, 13:28
They were the ones who botched the bear tranquilizer.

Officials from the Pennsylvania Game Commission first tried to tranquilize the animal with no success. Witnesses said the bear then climbed down the tree and tried to run, but police fired numerous times, killing the animal.

the goat
06-20-2008, 13:46

in my county in virginia, a sow was hit by a car & her two cubs ran up a nearby tree.

some locals called the game warden who promptly shot the two cubs out of the tree & they fell to their death.

his reasoning: "there was nothing else that could be done for them".:confused:

what an a$shole!

Lilred
06-20-2008, 14:00
Hmmm... eels are afraid of humans and are nocturnal. Why would an eel living in a hole under the stairs of a beach be a problem?

Because if someone stepped to near to its hole, their ankle would become sliced and diced, that's why. And this one was not sleeping. The diver said his head was at the front of his hole, meaning......mealtime.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-20-2008, 14:12
Because if someone stepped to near to it's hole, their ankle would become sliced and diced, that's why. And this one was not sleeping. The diver said his head was at the front of his hole, meaning......mealtime.Well, in that case, I like my eel grilled.

Lilred
06-20-2008, 14:13
http://whozoo.org/Intro99/dougherty/jimdmoray.htm

.) When bit by an eel it will usually not let go. Pulling away from it will make the skin tear. To
get the eel to let go, you should try to lure it away with a fish or just cut its head off and pry it
off.

2.) After the eel has been taken care of, clean the afflicted area with clean water. Remember not to sew or close the wound.

3.) Most eel bites get infected so get to the doctor immediately for a check-up

IF you go to the link, notice under general info, it says that they are very dangerous to humans. People stepping off the steps into the water, near its hole, all day long, might just put that little bugger on the defensive.

Again, human safety comes before animal safety. Just ask any mother. Sure wouldn't want to have seen any child get that eel stuck to their ankle.

Lilred
06-20-2008, 14:16
Well, in that case, I like my eel grilled.

There were some folks there wanting to know if they could eat it. I guess, according to what I've read, they make good eating as long as they haven't fed on anything with algae on it. That could mean food poisoning for you and me.

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 15:13

Similar story of sorts, I was in Key West back in the '80's, swimming off the pier, when a diver came up out of the water, asked his girlfriend for his spear, and came back up with a three foot moray eel that was in the swimming area. You should have heard the people there complaining that the eel had more right to be there than us humans. Really? They would have been singing a different tune, had they stepped near his hole and had their foot half ripped off.

Doubtful the bear would have come back. The experience most likely taught him to fear humans, which is a very effective way to deter them.

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 15:24
http://whozoo.org/Intro99/dougherty/jimdmoray.htm

.) When bit by an eel it will usually not let go. Pulling away from it will make the skin tear. To
get the eel to let go, you should try to lure it away with a fish or just cut its head off and pry it
off.

2.) After the eel has been taken care of, clean the afflicted area with clean water. Remember not to sew or close the wound.

3.) Most eel bites get infected so get to the doctor immediately for a check-up

IF you go to the link, notice under general info, it says that they are very dangerous to humans. People stepping off the steps into the water, near its hole, all day long, might just put that little bugger on the defensive.

Again, human safety comes before animal safety. Just ask any mother. Sure wouldn't want to have seen any child get that eel stuck to their ankle.

LilRed, I respectfully disagree with you on this one for many reasons. Whenever humans leave their habitat and enter into nature, they have to remember that they are basically guests in something elses home. Be it the ocean, woods, etc. The bear is abit different in that it was in human habitat rather than vice versa.

I am all for killing something in self defense if it is clear that serious injury is imminent, however, as for the eel, the area should have been simply been avoided. It did not deserve to die because it's home was in an inconvenient area to tourists. In Key West, its not like there's no other place to go swimming.

Its a lot like seeing a rattler or copperhead on the trail. Yes, its potentially dangerous, but you don't kill it. After all, you're visiting its home, not vice versa.

Just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

dessertrat
06-20-2008, 15:50
OK Terrapin, when some black bear comes charging at you, and your only defense is to kill it, just stand there and let him maul you to death, cause obviously your welfare does not trump the right to life of that bear.

Once again, common sense takes a holiday.

The thing is, that bear was not charging at anyone. It was running away.

Appalachian Tater
06-20-2008, 15:54
The thing is, that bear was not charging at anyone. It was running away.A whole bunch of ignorance was at play.

sheepdog
06-20-2008, 15:55
The thing is, that bear was not charging at anyone. It was running away.
Running to where? The video is not at all clear. My vote is for the cops. It's easy for people sitting in their arm chairs to second guess the people who have their lives, and the lives of others on the line. They have to make split second decisions. There are lots of bears. I would rather not take the chance on someone getting hurt. Put on a uniform for 10 years or so, your opinion may change. It's an amazing world out there.

Jim Adams
06-20-2008, 16:20
Doubtful the bear would have come back. The experience most likely taught him to fear humans, which is a very effective way to deter them.

There was nothing there outside of being shot to deter that bear from humans and considering the location that the incident took place, I don't imagine that this was the bears first time in the town. Have you ever seen how much a bear fears humans when humans feed them? I feel sure that with this location the bear was acclimated.

geek

Jim Adams
06-20-2008, 16:22
The bear is abit different in that it was in human habitat rather than vice versa.

there's your answer!

geek

taildragger
06-20-2008, 16:23
LilRed, I respectfully disagree with you on this one for many reasons. Whenever humans leave their habitat and enter into nature, they have to remember that they are basically guests in something elses home. Be it the ocean, woods, etc. The bear is abit different in that it was in human habitat rather than vice versa.

I am all for killing something in self defense if it is clear that serious injury is imminent, however, as for the eel, the area should have been simply been avoided. It did not deserve to die because it's home was in an inconvenient area to tourists. In Key West, its not like there's no other place to go swimming.

Its a lot like seeing a rattler or copperhead on the trail. Yes, its potentially dangerous, but you don't kill it. After all, you're visiting its home, not vice versa.

Just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

I always love this argument, because we are humans, then we obviously are just guests. What the hell, we're still part of the food chain, I have the right to be anywhere I damn well please, and if I piss off a rattler, or any other animal, and I get killed, guess what, that animal had the same damn right to kill me.

As far as the eel goes, I'll side with lil'red. From what I know about moray eels is that they do take residence in or near their holes. In that case, it makes sense to have a lil eel barbay. As for relocating the fish, if you've got a boat and are willing to deal with it, go for it, I don't, and I highly doubt that fish and game would deal with it, and I see nothing wrong with eating game (quite tasty).

As for the bear. I'd let the investigation run its course. I think the possibility of a black bear mauling is slim, probably be in more danger had the thing been a raccoon, but then again, get an omnivore that is bigger than a human and most people freak out.

And fiddle. That figure of $300/lbs. Thats gotta be one hella expensive lease that he's hunting on. I usually end up at ~$1/lbs for my game meat, and I specifically hunt to provide myself with meat for the year (then again, I'm weird like that, and I hate the whole idea of industrial farming in general). If I have a rotten hunting year, I just get to be more of a vegetarian than other years.

Rant off.

Panzer1
06-20-2008, 16:27
If roles were reversed and the bears were in charge and they had the guns they would do the same to us. Think about that.:)

Panzer

Tin Man
06-20-2008, 16:57

Costs too much to move the ladder. :rolleyes:

Tin Man
06-20-2008, 17:03
Running to where? The video is not at all clear. My vote is for the cops. It's easy for people sitting in their arm chairs to second guess the people who have their lives, and the lives of others on the line. They have to make split second decisions. There are lots of bears. I would rather not take the chance on someone getting hurt. Put on a uniform for 10 years or so, your opinion may change. It's an amazing world out there.

I agree there is a lot of second guessing here and we should support the cops. After all, if you call a cop to a bear sighting what do you expect? Not that cops automatically shoot bears, but they might be inclinded to resort to their tools that they are trained to use. Seems to me that someone else should be called if you want to see a better outcome for the bear.

Tin Man
06-20-2008, 17:05
There were some folks there wanting to know if they could eat it. I guess, according to what I've read, they make good eating as long as they haven't fed on anything with algae on it. That could mean food poisoning for you and me.

Yes, but does it dehydrate well?

Tin Man
06-20-2008, 17:26
Sounds like we have the makings for a White Blaze dinner. What vegetable goes with smoked eel and roast bear? I know, how about something from the Hops line?

Jim Adams
06-20-2008, 18:00
Tequilla IS a condiment!

geek

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 18:12
Tequilla IS a condiment!

geek

It's also an appetizer, a side dish, and dessert:cool:

taildragger
06-20-2008, 18:24
So, is it decided? This situation could have been better handled with tequila? ;)

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 18:29
So, is it decided? This situation could have been better handled with tequila? ;)

Any situation is better handled with tequila. ;)

Odd Thomas
06-20-2008, 18:49
If roles were reversed and the bears were in charge and they had the guns they would do the same to us. Think about that.:)

Panzer

We can't let this happen. With the technological rate bears are advancing at, we must act soon. They've already learned to use hammocks! :p

Panzer1
06-20-2008, 18:58
Every time I see a bear they're always trying to steal something. :)

Panzer

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 19:00
We can't let this happen. With the technological rate bears are advancing at, we must act soon. They've already learned to use hammocks! :p

As the superior species on earth, I suggest we annihilate all species below us, so that we are no longer threatened by rogue bears, psychotic moray eels, venomous snakes, and periodical cicadas, who, although emerge only once every 17 years, wreak havoc on windshields, car finishes, and REM sleep after 4:30 am.

You were all right: I failed to see the conspiracy of the lower classes of fauna! It is clear to me now that they are intent on taking over the world. We must not let them. Fight!! Fight!!

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 19:04
More evidence:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/playgroundbears.asp

This must stop!!

oops56
06-20-2008, 19:12
Witch way is right? I am going hunting bear.:eek: Or I am going bear hunting.:confused:

Lilred
06-20-2008, 22:43
[QUOTE=musicwoman;649241]LilRed, I respectfully disagree with you on this one for many reasons. Whenever humans leave their habitat and enter into nature, they have to remember that they are basically guests in something elses home. Be it the ocean, woods, etc. The bear is abit different in that it was in human habitat rather than vice versa. [QUOTE]

Ya know, with all due respect, I am really tired of hearing people say that human beings are 'guests' on any part of this planet. The planet belongs to all, that includes humans, no matter where we decide to go. So telling me I'm a 'guest' in a morey eel's 'home' just doesn't cut it. The animal was a potentially real threat to the welfare of humans, and it was taken care of so no one would get hurt. Sorry if that fact ruffles the sensibilities of some people, but some people are just waaaay too sensitive.

sheepdog
06-20-2008, 22:54
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODA0MzgyMTQ3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODE1NDQ2._V1._ CR56,0,338,338_SS100_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1735432192/tt0063442)
It's not the lower animals that we need to worry about. It's the apes.

rafe
06-20-2008, 23:01
The animal was a potentially real threat to the welfare of humans, and it was taken care of so no one would get hurt. Sorry if that fact ruffles the sensibilities of some people, but some people are just waaaay too sensitive.

Taken care of.

Lovely euphemism there. Kinda like "put to sleep." I love that one too.

Odd Thomas
06-20-2008, 23:12
Taken care of.

Lovely euphemism there. Kinda like "put to sleep." I love that one too.

he's sleeping with the fishies. :eek:

rafe
06-20-2008, 23:20
he's sleeping with the fishies. :eek:

Now you've done it. injected humor into a perfectly serious thread. indignation fades into mirth. it's all over...

I guess that was inevitable for a thread that started with a dead bear.

Odd Thomas
06-21-2008, 00:25
That's it. I was looking for something to do tomorrow. I am gonna play croquet with the ground hog's head that's been eating my lawn and my wife's tomato plants. Anyone have a ground hog recipe?

There are better ways...

http://entimg.msn.com/i/BillMurray/Caddyshack_300x298.jpg

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 00:42
There are better ways...

http://entimg.msn.com/i/BillMurray/Caddyshack_300x298.jpg

Thanks. I will hose him down, then toss him in the pool and drown him. :D

double d
06-21-2008, 04:02
Deep in the heart of every conservative is a liberal dying to get out (gee, wasn't it a liberal that signed a law that protects the AT forever back in the late 1960's? We should have "thank a liberal day" during trail days to celebrate!!!). As for the bear, well, maybe he broke a curfew law, or a "no climbing the tree's" law, or maybe he had a smoke outside a hostel/church down in old Va, but I'm sorry to see him dead, better to let living things live I guess (except for cows, chickens and hogs, people have to eat). As for the eel, well, I never go into water that has alot of salt in it, so eel's are not a threat to me, so I ain't got nothing against 'em.

Stir Fry
06-21-2008, 06:04

Edit: I just watched the video. It's a stupid shooting, and they will be lucky not to get sued by the spectator they tackled.
You are an ass.