PDA

View Full Version : No Outside/Inside for East Coast? Why?

rafe
06-19-2008, 20:33
A couple years back my wife and I took a brief vacation in northern New Mexico. Everywhere we went, we saw stacks of free copies of a magazine called "Outside/Inside." You'd see stacks of copies at stores, restaurants, coffee shops, waiting rooms, etc.

It's a magazine clearly aimed at young (or at least, fit) folks into outdoor sports and recreation; not just hikers but also runners, paddlers, bicyclists, etc. The current issue at the time was Aug/Sept. 2006, and it was dedicated to Ed Abbey. Advertisers include sport shops, outfitters, expedition guides, resorts, bike shops, pubs, book stores, etc. It's filled with notices for running/triathlon competitions, biking events, music festivals and so on. There were thoughtful articles about hiking, wilderness ethics, and so on.

So my question is -- why is there no such magazine on the East Coast? :-? Got a theory?

Captain
06-19-2008, 20:36
the perpetuation thats there are no longer any decent out door adventures in the " 90 minute market"?

Lone Wolf
06-19-2008, 20:42
A couple years back my wife and I took a brief vacation in northern New Mexico. Everywhere we went, we saw stacks of free copies of a magazine called "Outside/Inside." You'd see stacks of copies at stores, restaurants, coffee shops, waiting rooms, etc.

It's a magazine clearly aimed at young (or at least, fit) folks into outdoor sports and recreation; not just hikers but also runners, paddlers, bicyclists, etc. The current issue at the time was Aug/Sept. 2006, and it was dedicated to Ed Abbey. Advertisers include sport shops, outfitters, expedition guides, resorts, bike shops, pubs, book stores, etc. It's filled with notices for running/triathlon competitions, biking events, music festivals and so on. There were thoughtful articles about hiking, wilderness ethics, and so on.

So my question is -- why is there no such magazine on the East Coast? :-? Got a theory?

we have a few down here. this is one http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/

BradMT
06-19-2008, 21:09
The simple and true answer is, as a percentage of population there are fewer outdoor/wilderness-types in the East than the Rocky Mountain (or rest of) West...

RedneckRye
06-19-2008, 21:37
One of my favorite "outdoor" magazines is Mountain Gazette. It is also a freebie in Colorado and the surrounding mountain states. To get it mailed out here to the Ohio flatland is $25 a year (I think). It mainly concerns itself with the mountain lifestyle, and is sort of literary in it's intentions. Far superior to any glossy Outside or Backpacker or NatGeo Adventure.
Check them out online at mountaingazette.com
I just received the annual "Climbing" issue, they do several other theme issues every year - River, Snow, Bar, etc.
Good stuff. Especially if you can't see a mountain from your front door.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-19-2008, 22:12
The simple and true answer is, as a percentage of population there are fewer outdoor/wilderness-types in the East than the Rocky Mountain (or rest of) West...

:eek: Sounds like someone hasn't been in the New Jersey woods or on any of our rivers on a weekend!

paddler
06-20-2008, 10:15
up here in maine we have a couple one is no umbrella geard mostly to white water but some good articles on hikeing and backpacking

Time To Fly 97
06-20-2008, 10:28
It is a business for generating revenue through advertising. In the East, I think there is a tendency for companies to advertise in places that will get the most return on investment. Unfortuneatly, outdoor sporting focused media doesn't seem to be a winner here, although the East totally represents! Why don't you start one?

Happy hiking!

TTF

Roots
06-20-2008, 10:35
we have a few down here. this is one http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/
I definitely suggest Blue Ridge Outdoors. Great magazine and yes, it is free.

Mrs Baggins
06-20-2008, 10:39

Apparently so. I must have been the ONLY person in our entire county to ever buy Backpacker (and I only bought it if it had several articles or gear reviews that really interested me). For the past 3 or 4 months now I can't find it in any store that used to carry it. Ever. Used to really piss me off that in the stores where I used to find it they always put it in the "Mens Interest" section. :mad: Sexist southerners.

tlbj6142
06-20-2008, 10:48
:eek: Sounds like someone hasn't been in the New Jersey woods or on any of our rivers on a weekend!It is a proximity issue. Out west and in NE (VT, NH, ME) everyone "lives" in the outdoors. The "outdoors" are across the street.

In NJ you have to drive to it. If you and your neighbors thought of a river or trail as if it were a "MetroPark" the paper would do well.