PDA

View Full Version : 3 Month Hike

mts4602
06-19-2008, 23:50
How far could the average person get on the PCT in 3 months, starting at the Mexican border?

I know there are websites that you can calculate miles and such but I don't know what numbers to put in...so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks,

Matt

fiddlehead
06-20-2008, 00:19
I'd say all of CA would be about right for average people. (that's around 1700 miles)
The trail is graded pretty easy compared to the AT and mileage generally is quite a bit higher (20% higher is my guess???)
YOu have a few logistic problems with weather though. If you start too late in southern CA, it can get too hot and water sources could be suspect.
If you start too early, of course the Sierras could have too much snow.

So depending on what your window is, a SOBO might be a better idea.
Can you be more specific on your 3 months?

mts4602
06-20-2008, 14:57
Basically from the start of the PCT thru-hiking season May 1st until about the beginning to middle of August.

I graduate next april/may, but I'm looking at going to law school...if that doesn't happen, then I could do the whole trail. I can't start law school in the spring though b/c they only take new applicants in the fall.

Geo.
06-20-2008, 20:02
How far could the average person get on the PCT in 3 months, starting at the Mexican border?

I know there are websites that you can calculate miles and such but I don't know what numbers to put in...so I thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks,

Matt

3 months sounds about right for the Cal average, with another 2 months to get through Oregon and Washington.
The thru took me a total of just under five calender months, with April 20th to July 31st to get from the Mexican border to the Cal/Oregon border...and I wasn't exactly into 'lightweight'. :o
The trail grade is mainly easy enough, it's the snow conditions in the High Sierra or the heat in the south that can slow things up a bit, so fiddlehead makes a good point about getting the 'start window' right (not too early not too late) so as to slot in with conditions.

mts4602
06-21-2008, 14:47
sounds good, thanks.

chris
06-22-2008, 19:11
You may find that you can cover more ground than that. I thruhiked in 3.5 months. Basically, 2.5 months through Cali with another month to cover OR and WA. That was starting out with most days in the low 20s, only progressing to 30s after the Sierra (about 1000 miles out).

One thing to consider is that getting out from the PCT in NorCal isn't super easy. Once you leave the Tahoe area, your next easy shot is in Dunsmuir, about 400 miles further north. Once you leave Dunsmuir, you pretty much have to make it to Ashland to avoid a lot of hitching to get out. After Ashland, you can escape at Bend

Geo.
06-22-2008, 19:45
One thing to consider is that getting out from the PCT in NorCal isn't super easy. Once you leave the Tahoe area, your next easy shot is in Dunsmuir, about 400 miles further north. Once you leave Dunsmuir, you pretty much have to make it to Ashland to avoid a lot of hitching to get out. After Ashland, you can escape at Bend

Good point.
I think mts462 said he had until mid august, so he should have plenty of time to reach an exit point in Oregon if he wants to complete California.
From the California/Oregon border it took me 12hrs to reach 'Callahans' near the Ashland road, which is I think about 12 miles from Ashland ....and lots of food ;)

OregonHiker
06-22-2008, 19:48
After Ashland, you can escape at Bend

Sisters is close too.

Dazzy001
09-04-2008, 21:48
I am a average hiker, about 40+ over ideal and managed to complete california in 4 months, taking it really easy most of the time only had a few 20+ days aswell....