PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Hiker pro question, Grey stuff.

darkage
06-20-2008, 00:25
Greetings wb,

I just bought a katadyn hiker pro ... figured i better get to know it before i head out this weekend and set it up an gave it a whirl ... at first it spit out some grey type stuff "I'm assuming this is charcoal" ... then it cleared up to clean water ....

I just wanna make sure this is normal and nothing internally is cracked that caused that ...

Thanks

Frosty
06-20-2008, 00:34
Greetings wb,

I just bought a katadyn hiker pro ... figured i better get to know it before i head out this weekend and set it up an gave it a whirl ... at first it spit out some grey type stuff "I'm assuming this is charcoal" ... then it cleared up to clean water ....

I just wanna make sure this is normal and nothing internally is cracked that caused that ...

ThanksFully normal. It happens when you put in a new filter. It's jsut charcoal dust.

darkage
06-20-2008, 01:05
Thanks, just wanted to be sure .. being my first filter ... =]

double d
06-20-2008, 02:25
Darkage, that is normal, same happened to mine as well (bought mine new for the summer of 2007 hike). Also, some of the information about your question might be found in the instruction manual, of course, theres only about 200 pages in it.

Captain
06-20-2008, 08:08
its also normal after its been stored for a little while , katahdyn reccomends filterting a liter and discarding that then filtering normaly

sheepdog
06-20-2008, 08:29
Darkage, that is normal, same happened to mine as well (bought mine new for the summer of 2007 hike). Also, some of the information about your question might be found in the instruction manual, of course, theres only about 200 pages in it.
Real men don't need no stinkin instructions!!!:eek:
After you are done hiking, run a liter of water mixed with one tablespoon of bleach through it. Then let it dry out. Your filter will last a lot longer. Have fun.

Frosty
06-20-2008, 09:20
Real men don't need no stinkin instructions!!!:eek:
After you are done hiking, run a liter of water mixed with one tablespoon of bleach through it. Then let it dry out. Your filter will last a lot longer. Have fun.
I do a similar thing, though not after every hike.

Every so often, I put a Micropur tablet
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81896
in my platy and fill it with water. I let it sit a half hour or more to make sure the platy bag isn't growing micro-organisms.

Then filter the water to clean the filter.

Between hikes I store the platy in the freezer to discourage growths. I disassemble the filter and let it dry, then re-assemble it. Then I'm ready for the next hike.