PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating Wild Rice Mix

Frau
06-20-2008, 06:56
Hope I have enough time to do this--I want to cook and then dehydrate a delish wild rice mix I get at the local healthy food store. For those who have done this--I should simply cook and drain, then stick in the dehydrator like I do everything else ?

I have a Nesco stackable with thermostat. Any ideas how long this will take? we are leaving in the a.m. for the Cranberry and I want some rice to pair with the new TASTYBITE vegetarian entrees (www.tastybite.com) I got yesterday. I would rather take wild rice than buy brown minute rice.

Thanks for help,

Frau

budforester
06-20-2008, 09:30
Hope I have enough time to do this--I want to cook and then dehydrate a delish wild rice mix I get at the local healthy food store. For those who have done this--I should simply cook and drain, then stick in the dehydrator like I do everything else ?

I have a Nesco stackable with thermostat. Any ideas how long this will take? we are leaving in the a.m. for the Cranberry and I want some rice to pair with the new TASTYBITE vegetarian entrees (www.tastybite.com (http://www.tastybite.com)) I got yesterday. I would rather take wild rice than buy brown minute rice.

Thanks for help,

Frau

I haven’t dehydrated wild rice, but Uncle Ben’s puts it into quick- cook mixes… it should work fine. Rice dries quickly and wild rice probably takes only slightly longer… just a few hours, depending on your setup. Drying on a screen would be best, to keep it from falling through… but I’ve dried rice on rollup sheets or paper (or put a rollup sheet below to catch what falls). Flavor might be affected by too hot or too long a process… I might make my first trial on a day when I could keep an eye on it. Maybe when the West Coast wakes up, Sarbar may have suggestions.

sarbar
06-20-2008, 12:13
Sure! Just cook and spread on lined trays. Easy as it can be :) Don't use oil though if it calls for it, skip that.
Most rice dries fast - I check it hourly and break any clumps up with my fingers. Usually do it 135*