PDA

View Full Version : Best movie to get you in the mood....

Incahiker
06-20-2008, 10:59
For hiking that is. I guess this is the place to post it since its labeled media.

I take that my favorites to get me outdoors are

Fellowship of the ring ( probably most motivational)
Deliverance (Minus the squeeling pig scene)
Jerimia Johnson

Well, thats pretty much it for now. I did watch into the wild, and that was ok ( with all the senseless booby action going on), but didn't get me motivated to go on an adventure.

hammock engineer
06-20-2008, 11:07
Southbounders. Nothing says get off your couch and start hiking like watching a cheezy drama on hiking the trail in the correct direction.

mudhead
06-20-2008, 11:09
K2.

bloodmountainman
06-20-2008, 11:15
Jeramiah Johnson ...... Legends of the Fall....... The Mountainmen:D

Incahiker
06-20-2008, 11:18
Oh hell ya, forgot about legends of the fall, thats a great movie!

Southbounders, haven't even heard of that. I kinda like decent too... though I don't want to get eaten by sub-humans.

max patch
06-20-2008, 11:18
I don't need a movie to "get in the mood."

All I need is time.

With kids, sometimes time is in short supply.

Incahiker
06-20-2008, 11:22
I got 2 of those kids too. Its very hard to organize everything so that you can have even a day or 2 to get out, I know how it is.

I guess also, even though they are not movies, are Man vs Wild and Survivor Man.

Captain America
06-20-2008, 11:24
Last of the Mohicans

double d
06-20-2008, 12:40
Jeremiah Johnson, for sure, 100% of the time. Heres a great quote off the top of my head: "I told my ma's and pa's I was coming to the mountains to be a mountain man, my ma's acted as if she was gut shot, she says,"stay here, were the people's is, them mountains are for savages and wild animals". Ma, I sezs, "them mountains are the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gel, as told to Jeremiah Johnson. Here's another off the top of my head,"Keep your nose to the wind and your eyes on the skyline Jeremiah". I can't wait to get to the AT this summer.

rickb
06-20-2008, 13:09
Death Hunt.

Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin and Angie Dickenson in the Yukon.

Not exatly a hiking movie, but there was some snowshoeing and good mountains.

rickb
06-20-2008, 13:54
2000 Miles to Maine is good, but probably better after you have hike the AT a bunch.

Makes it look like there are a lot of people out there who party and don't enjoy every minute of their trips.

Nice dog, too.

Lilred
06-20-2008, 13:58
Walking With Freedom does it for me every time.

Old Grouse
06-20-2008, 14:26
More from Jeremiah Johnson: "Watch yer topknot," and "Fine figure of a man, yes?....That is all you need to know."

paddler
06-20-2008, 15:41
seven years in tibet and a river runs through.

paddler
06-20-2008, 15:44
eiger sanction

Jim Adams
06-20-2008, 16:33
Napoleon Dynamite.......makes you want to leave EVERYTHING dealing with society and be alone in the woods!!!!!!!

max patch
06-20-2008, 16:37
Either 5 million steps or candystripers.

mrc237
06-20-2008, 16:37
Lonesome Dove::::The Searchers

max patch
06-20-2008, 16:39
Do the chickens have large talons?

max patch
06-20-2008, 16:41
I caught you a delicious bass.

max patch
06-20-2008, 16:42
Ugh! Gross! Freakin' idiot!

Jim Adams
06-20-2008, 16:46
Ugh! Gross! Freakin' idiot!
:Dexactly...makes you want to hike everytime!

geek

...been of of any good jumps lately?:cool:

double d
06-20-2008, 16:56
Old Grouse, good quote from Jeremiah Johnson! Also, Lonesome Dove and Searchers, yea, those are good too.

max patch
06-20-2008, 17:05
:

...been of of any good jumps lately?:cool:

You got like three feet of air that time!

Dakota_
06-20-2008, 17:10
Mad Max

leeki pole
06-20-2008, 17:27
Bucket List....

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 19:18
The best movie to get me in the mood is "Debbie does....."

Wait, what kind of mood are we talking about?

Skidsteer
06-20-2008, 19:40

...Springer to Hot Springs?

John Klein
06-20-2008, 19:41
Shocks, pegs. Lucky!

musicwoman
06-20-2008, 19:44

Wait, what kind of mood are we talking about?

Yeah...that's the one!!

Well, she does something......why not Springer to Hot Springs?:rolleyes:

FeO2
06-20-2008, 22:53
How about the Disney flick "Never Cry Wolf"

Lots of great Alaska scenes, it's a pretty good family movie. Pretty funny too !!!

Nicksaari
06-20-2008, 23:01
any installments of the planet earth series. david attenbourogh, not segourney weaver.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 20:28
"Never Cry Wolf" is based on the fraudulent and invented memoirs of Canadian writer/naturalist Farley Mowat.

It's vastly over-rated.

ZZXF
06-21-2008, 22:54
Sunrise Earth (it's a tv show, of sorts)

Anyone ever actually sit through that? If so, you have my total respect. If not, I dare you.

FeO2
06-21-2008, 23:01
"Never Cry Wolf" is based on the fraudulent and invented memoirs of Canadian writer/naturalist Farley Mowat.

It's vastly over-rated.

I don't know the history of the movie, but it has great scenery, amusing at times, and is a great flick for the family...

Nicksaari
06-21-2008, 23:47
Sunrise Earth (it's a tv show, of sorts)

Anyone ever actually sit through that? If so, you have my total respect. If not, I dare you.

this show came on at six thirty and seven on animal planet. i kept it on while i went through my morning routine, it was great. looking at my ex girlfriends ... every morning, it was great.

mudhead
06-22-2008, 09:35
eiger sanction

Probably watched this 40X more than Ice Station Zebra.

George was a hiking fool!

Bob S
06-22-2008, 17:17
Jeremiah Johnson

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 17:35

It's vastly over-rated.

I had read several different sources that said his conclusions were unsubstantiated, but not that they were invented or fraudulent.

Has there been an update in the last few years?

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:58
Well, I tried to discuss this earlier, but the moderator wiped it out.

Mowat himself is on record as admitting that much of his work is severely embellished or entirely invented, and it seems to me that if he had no qualms about providing this obvious admission, I can't see why anyone else quibbles about it.

Except for Terrapin, maybe, and other lovestruck fans. :D

Those truly interested can do a basic Google search. Start with Mowat's own biography (the Wikipedia article, surprisingly,ain't bad) or Google "Farley Mowat literary fraud" or something similar. You'll find enough to keep you occupied til Christmas.

In any case, that Mowat is a bulls*****r of the first order and always hasbeen, isn't exactly a state secret.

(Note to moderator: I'm not making trouble here, just answering a direct question).

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 18:02
Well, I tried to discuss this earlier, but the moderator wiped it out.

Mowat himself is on record as admitting that much of his work is severely embellished or entirely invented, and it seems to me that if he had no qualms about providing this obvious admission, I can't see why anyone else quibbles about it.

Except for Terrapin, maybe, and other lovestruck fans. :D

Those truly interested can do a basic Google search. Start with Mowat's own biography (the Wikipedia article, surprisingly,ain't bad) or Google "Farley Mowat literary fraud" or something similar. You'll find enough to keep you occupied til Christmas.

In any case, that Mowat is a bulls*****r of the first order and always hasbeen, isn't exactly a state secret.

(Note to moderator: I'm not making trouble here, just answering a direct question).

aha, will do.

Disappointing information. I had hoped it was just another case of science ignoring field research (more common than people imagine).

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 18:05
I'll let you check it out and you can decide for yourself.

Feel free to get back to us and if I said anything wrong or unfair, please say so.

Fact is, Mowat has ADMITTED he's a serial fabricator, which, I think, kind of settles the argument.

At least it settles it for most folks...... :rolleyes:

mrc237
06-22-2008, 18:20

It's vastly over-rated.

Does a story have to be true in order to get one in the mood? BS stories are always the best. And it seems to me the Farley in one of the best bee essers around. Was "Never Cry" a best seller?

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 18:27
Geez, MRC, "Triumph of the Will" was a pretty good film about political rallies, but just cuz it was technically well done doesn't make it a worthy movie, ya know? :D

That's Mowat's book (and the subsequent film made from the book) were "well done" doesn't alter the fact that they were presented as being based on true stories and real events.....and that simply wasn't so.

The book and film were technically competent fictions, period.

rafe
06-22-2008, 18:28
Does a story have to be true in order to get one in the mood? BS stories are always the best. And it seems to me the Farley in one of the best bee essers around. Was "Never Cry" a best seller?

Don't know about that story in particular, but according to Wikipedia, Farley's books have sold 14 million copies. There's quite a long list of his writings on the Wiki page.

mrc237
06-22-2008, 18:33
The book and film were technically competent fictions, period::::I thought it was BS back in the 80's when I read it but I can't say I was not entertained by both the book and the movie. Just saying.

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 18:50
You are a passionate poster Jack.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 18:52
Thank you. And if I've said anything wrong, people are most welcome to provide opposing views. That's what conversation and debate is all about.

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 18:58
"Closer to home, controversy has long surrounded the works of Farley Mowat – works that some say occasionally rely too heavily on invention to be considered reportage in the strictest sense. Mr. Mowat defends his techniques as those of a storyteller, looking for the essence of an experience rather than precise, linear accounting of events."

Everything I've read ( in the last 1/2 hour or so) seems to point to this:

While Mowat's writing may be somewhat embellished, it is not fiction by definition.

Seems we have a docu-dramatist here. Someone who has taken some facts and built upon them. Neither entirely fiction nor entirely true. Somewhere in the middle.

I hate gray areas like the plague.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 19:03
Might not be fiction by definition, but both the book and movie of "Never Cry Wolf" were marketed as being truthful, or at least "based on a true story."

Um, no. They weren't. Not remotely. Mowat was full of horse patootie.

And, this, by anyone's reckoning, is "fiction by definition."

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 19:09
Might not be fiction by definition, but both the book and movie of "Never Cry Wolf" were marketed as being truthful, or at least "based on a true story."

Um, no. They weren't. Not remotely. Mowat was full of horse patootie.

And, this, by anyone's reckoning, is "fiction by definition."

If it was marketed as "based on a true story" than that would indeed be inaccurate.

A more accurate definition would be "Based on true events" Thereby, acknowleding that the writer has something factual to build on, but leaving the door open for him to build on it in a dramatic fashion.

A great example of this would be "The Ghost and the Darkness". It was based on actual events, but heavily embellished upon dramatically.

rafe
06-22-2008, 19:23
I hate gray areas like the plague.

That must make life very difficult for you.

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 19:30
That must make life very difficult for you.

It certainly does. But then, life wasn't meant to be easy, was it? :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
06-22-2008, 19:33
It is a film by Disney. If anyone here thinks Disney isn't going to take license with the screenplay - regardless of what the film is supposedly based upon - then they're crazy. Disney wanted to make a film that people would watch so that they could make money. That's the real bottom line.

This was not a documentary. After all, it starred Brian Dennehy. ;)

MOWGLI
06-22-2008, 19:39
PS: I haven't ever needed a movie to inspire me to backpacking. But this one (http://bucktrack.com/Alaska_Brooks_Range_Traverse.html) did make me want to go and hike in Alaska.

An excerpt from my review of the film;

I can honestly say without reservation, that it is the best hiking video that I have ever watched. I give it 5 stars, and two thumbs up!

rafe
06-22-2008, 19:49
PS: I haven't ever needed a movie to inspire me to backpacking.

Ain't that the truth. ;) All it takes is one lousy day at work.

MOWGLI
06-22-2008, 20:17
Ain't that the truth. ;) All it takes is one lousy day at work.

Make that one lousy hour.

Tin Man
06-22-2008, 22:02
Make that one lousy hour.

Make that driving to the office in the morning, especially Monday mornings. ;)

mrc237
06-24-2008, 08:28
This is a quote from T.K. Whipple's Study out the Land and is quoted in Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove "All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside them selves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived we dream."

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 08:37
For hiking that is. I guess this is the place to post it since its labeled media.

I take that my favorites to get me outdoors are

Fellowship of the ring ( probably most motivational)
Deliverance (Minus the squeeling pig scene)
Jerimia Johnson

Well, thats pretty much it for now. I did watch into the wild, and that was ok ( with all the senseless booby action going on), but didn't get me motivated to go on an adventure.

if you need a movie to get you in the "mood" to hike or be outdoors then it's time to change hobbies

jersey joe
06-24-2008, 10:00
Believe it or not, watching Fight Club actually helped me make up my mind to set out on my Thru Hike. It was the whole, don't be a robot and walk to the beat of your own drum, theme.

mrc237
06-24-2008, 11:08
if you need a movie to get you in the "mood" to hike or be outdoors then it's time to change hobbies

So ya gonna tell us that watching Tiger on the tube dosn't getcha in the mood? :rolleyes: :)

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 11:11
So ya gonna tell us that watching Tiger on the tube dosn't getcha in the mood? :rolleyes: :)

um, no. watching tiger play golf doesn't get me in the mood to hike

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 11:34
Believe it or not, watching Fight Club actually helped me make up my mind to set out on my Thru Hike. It was the whole, don't be a robot and walk to the beat of your own drum, theme.

That movie just made me want to blow up the federal reserve :p

mrc237
06-24-2008, 13:11
um, no. watching tiger play golf doesn't get me in the mood to hike

To play golf?

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 13:22
To play golf?

no. nobody golfs like him

Mags
06-24-2008, 13:28
Movies? No.

But sometime music makes me think of time I spent in the outdoors.

CherrypieScout
06-24-2008, 13:30
The Hatchet
A story about a boy surviving in the Alaskan wilderness after a plane wreck

phenimore
06-24-2008, 14:04
Boy, who needs a movie when there's this forum to get you moving! Nothing makes me want to get out away from the computer more than "expert advice", "constructive criticism", and "informed debate" ;):-?:D

A few movies that activate the yearning within me to get away...
Last of the Mohicans
A River Runs Through It
Castaway
Rivers and Tides (Andy Goldsworthy Documentary)
The Village
Lord of the Rings
Prince Caspian

FlimFlam
06-24-2008, 15:28
@ LW

Getting into the "mood" can be another way of reminding you of fun to be had out on the trail. Many people on this forum don't live smack dab in the middle of wilderness, but rather in suburbia or the city. Reminders are good. That being said, nobody mentioned:

The Island of Dr Moreau
The Mission
The Bear
The Edge
Rambo I First Blood

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 15:33
@ LW

Getting into the "mood" can be another way of reminding you of fun to be had out on the trail.

i've had tons of fun in the past on the trail and will have tons of fun in the future on the trail. i don't need no stinkin' movie to remind of the mood :)

Alligator
06-24-2008, 15:47
All it takes is two words from my wife to get me in the mood...

"Go Hiking!"

FlimFlam
06-24-2008, 15:59
i've had tons of fun in the past on the trail and will have tons of fun in the future on the trail. i don't need no stinkin' movie to remind of the mood :)

Ha! Well I guess this is where I'm supposed to whisper to myself in awe....."that guy is truly a hard bad*ss"

:)

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 16:03
Ha! Well I guess this is where I'm supposed to whisper to myself in awe....."that guy is truly a hard bad*ss"

:)

no you're suppose to say, "damn, i wish i made the right choices to where i can hike whenever i want and not be tied down to a job and such."

hiking hardly makes anyone a "hard badass"

rafe
06-24-2008, 16:05
no you're suppose to say, "damn, i wish i made the right choices to where i can hike whenever i want and not be tied down to a job and such."

Perhaps you could explain to the viewing audience how you managed to retire at age 30-something? :-? ;) :D

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 16:07
Perhaps you could explain to the viewing audience how you managed to retire at age 30-something? :-? ;) :D

i'm not "retired". i mow lawns, run shuttles for hikers and work for sundog outfitters doing bike shuttles

rafe
06-24-2008, 16:10
i'm not "retired". i mow lawns, run shuttles for hikers and work for sundog outfitters doing bike shuttles

Are you sure that's the whole story?

Lone Wolf
06-24-2008, 16:13
Are you sure that's the whole story?

the only one you or anybody else needs to know

rafe
06-24-2008, 16:16
the only one you or anybody else needs to know

Well if you're gonna lecture us about "making the right choices...." :rolleyes:

jesse
06-24-2008, 16:31
This movie has yet to be made, but just thinking about Redford's "A walk in the Woods" should get everyone excited. Bill Bryson ROCKS!!!!!:)

rafe
06-24-2008, 16:34
This movie has yet to be made, but just thinking about Redford's "A walk in the Woods" should get everyone excited. Bill Bryson ROCKS!!!!!:)

Beginning to wonder if that movie will ever happen... the "rumors" have been going around for ages.

Incahiker
06-24-2008, 18:38

Who said I "needed" a movie to get outdoors or to hike? All I simply said was what movies are inspiring, something that you watch in your past time, sick in bed, broken bones, when you were a kid etc.. when one gets inspired. I did not say what does one watch when they are sick of hiking and need a little something to get them out the door. I guess you can interpret it as many ways as you like though....

DapperD
07-03-2008, 19:32
The "movie" that does it for me is still Lynne Whelden's "How to Hike the AT" video which is like 6 hours long and explains everything from head to toes about hiking the AT, having actual hikers that do the explaining as they are being interviewed while thru-hiking. The movie is very informative and encouraging to anyone thinking of or planning a thru-hike. I also thought Trek was excellent, a well done documentary.

mister krabs
07-04-2008, 07:51
Alone in the Wilderness (http://www.dickproenneke.com/)

Storyteller56
07-06-2008, 13:19
I think Lonewolf Has a point as long as he is treating people fairly & is helping others
out along the way he has a right to his privacy!

khanti
08-16-2008, 11:54
I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on this thread, but I had to add my $0.02.

I don't need a movie to get me in the hiking mood. What these movies and documentaries do is provide a poor substitute for the real thing on a weekday evening after work or to watch with hiking friends when we meet to plan trips. They're fun to watch. Plain and simple.

Some of these have been listed before, but I have enjoyed:

The Walkumentary
Walk
Still Walking
Even More Walking
2000 Miles to Maine
Walking the Great Divide
Southbounders
Five Millions Steps
Behaviors of the Backpacker

I've definitely added a few to my wish list from this thread. Thanks folks!

kayak karl
08-16-2008, 13:03
:DDeliverance:D

warraghiyagey
08-16-2008, 13:12
Not a movie per se but all I have to do is watch CNN for a few minutes to want to go walk in the woods.

bloodmountainman
08-16-2008, 13:22
:DDeliverance:D
You know.... that's a very "hated" movie down here in the Southland. People in Clayton Ga. go nuts at the very mention of it!

Jaybird62
08-16-2008, 13:29
Not a movie per se but all I have to do is watch CNN for a few minutes to want to go walk in the woods.

I hear ya' Wargy

warraghiyagey
08-16-2008, 17:55
I hear ya' Wargy

:sun:sun

Wise Old Owl
08-18-2008, 00:06
Cliffhanger 1982 Silvester Stallone

Wise Old Owl
08-18-2008, 00:09
All it takes is two words from my wife to get me in the mood...

"Go Hiking!"

Strangely John .... Thats kind of DISAPPOINTING!:eek:

You can delete this one.....

warraghiyagey
08-18-2008, 00:33
Cliffhanger 1982 Silvester Stallone
1982? Not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou.:p

Captn
08-18-2008, 19:40
2000 miles to Maine
True Grit (the DVD version, not the edited for TV version)
My side of the mountain
Cold Mountain (the Blue Ridge scenes)
Rob Roy (intro)
The Earthling (William Holden, 1980)
Continental Divide's mountain scenes

DapperD
08-18-2008, 19:53
You know.... that's a very "hated" movie down here in the Southland. People in Clayton Ga. go nuts at the very mention of it!I guess I wouldn't ask them for a shuttle ride and if they'll "Do it for Forty?":eek: No but really I heard Neil Young was proud to be mentioned in Lynard Skynard"s "Sweet Home Alabama".:sun

Marta
08-18-2008, 20:06
Southbounders, of course.:rolleyes:

Gumbi
08-19-2008, 08:21
Lord of the Rings, particularly the first one.

hoyawolf
08-19-2008, 20:48
supersize me, inconvenient truth, and the day after

makes me want to enjoy it while it is still here!