PDA

View Full Version : Trail Name

Sailor (The other one)
06-20-2008, 17:36
My wife, Mudpie, has dubbed me Sailor, because I curse like one. But I can't believe someone doesn't already have that trail name. I've searched WB and PB, but found no posts by that name.

Assuming there is another Sailor out there, is it kosher for more than one person to have the same trail name?

mountain squid
06-20-2008, 17:53
If you check the members list there is a sailor registered here on WB. Don't know if it is a trail name, however.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter though. Whatever you choose to answer to or how you sign shelter registers is up to you. Every year there are probably a few 'Turtles' or a variation thereof...(I think last yr there were at least 4 Dudes:cool:)...it can be confusing when reading a shelter register trying to ID who is who...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. I wouldn't suggest going with katz, though:rolleyes:...

Bearpaw
06-20-2008, 18:04
...is it kosher for more than one person to have the same trail name?

Sure. If you're both on the trail at the same time in reasonable proximity, folks usually add variations. In '99 there were a couple of "Mules" at the start and the one in my general vicinity became "PA Mule" since he was from Pennsylvania. There were two "Quercus", so the one near me became "Quercus D", which I believe was his initial.

Right now, there's a female "Bear Paw" out thru-hiking, somewhere in Virginia. Right now, since she's thru-hiking and I'm not, she's just "Bear Paw". If I hopped on for a section in Virginia, we would both be "Bearpaw" when folks talked to us, but others would likely differentiate her as "female Bearpaw" and me as "ugly Bearpaw" just to avoid confusion. :rolleyes:

Ghosthiker
06-20-2008, 20:37
You could always add some, like Sailor B.

Sailor (The other one)
06-21-2008, 07:20
Thanks.
Sailor it is.

KirkMcquest
06-21-2008, 08:15
A few years after the movie, there were like a hundred 'frodo's'.

rafe
06-21-2008, 08:18
A few years after the movie, there were like a hundred 'frodo's'.

Names out of LOTR are a perennial favorite on the trail, always have been. There was a Hobbit and a Strider in '90. Probably more, those are just the two I knew.

KirkMcquest
06-21-2008, 08:34
I met a 'gimly' and two frodos.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 08:55
I named my old girlfriend's cat Frodo. My brother renamed him Foto Finish after I moved out and the cat took a dive off the balcony. Didn't know cats were suicidal, but then you would have to know my old girlfriend to understand. ;)

Homer&Marje
06-21-2008, 08:57
My wife and I have been called Homer and Marje since we were dating in high school 11 years ago... Even the best man at my wedding said and i quote his speech "Seriously people what else can I say but, Homer and Marje, Congratulations, Cheers!"
Thanks buddy, great speech, lotta prep to that one, So your name doesn't have to originate on the trail as long as it identifies you perfectly, don't worry about copycats, i met two guys named Bear Skat on the same day, funny both times

KirkMcquest
06-21-2008, 09:31
I named my old girlfriend's cat Frodo. My brother renamed him Foto Finish after I moved out and the cat took a dive off the balcony. Didn't know cats were suicidal, but then you would have to know my old girlfriend to understand. ;)

HAH! My ex-girlfriend was like that, I would have jumped too if she didn't have bars on the window.