PDA

View Full Version : beer run

CrumbSnatcher
06-20-2008, 20:55
i need some yuengling lagar! is it legal to ship across state lines,i don't think so,but not sure. is the florida plant still open and does anyone taste any difference between the pottsville yuengling and the florida yuengling. tell me it sucks or ya like it. all comments welcome.:welcome

middle to middle
06-20-2008, 21:08
I whole hartedly agree. Best beer around. I live in Marland and it is at my local stores. When hiking i would drink anything.

I recall going to a spring once and finding a six pack cooling there. I took one could onot rest.

Another time i found a twelve pack that was cold lying in the trail. Some ditz on a motor bike using the trail had it bungie corded to his bike and it fell off. he came back as I was packing a few away. Still cold. I made camp early and was vey happy with a beer .s

T

rafe
06-20-2008, 21:43
I gotta admit, the Yuengling was fine last summer. I'm not much of beer conni-sewer, but I did enjoy the stuff. It always hit the spot.

Panzer1
06-20-2008, 22:00
Next time your at the Doyle hotel, try a pint of draft. Its real good.

Panzer

Tennessee Viking
06-20-2008, 22:23
I never had the pleasure of tasting Yuengling. But I hear its good. I been more of Sam Adams and micro-breweries out of Asheville. Damn fine good beer. There was a microbrewery in Greenwood, IN (south of Indy) that had some most amazing beer.

You been watching too much Burt Reynolds and Smoky and the Bandit.

Its legal to transport and possess beer as long as your of age in the states you are driving. And as long as your not sampling the sweet nectar while driving.

When I was working the dorm desk in college, kids would have carts worth of opened coke cases, yet we couldn't search them. But you know what was in them.

Jack Tarlin
06-20-2008, 22:26
I'm from Boston originally, and have sampled Sam Adams since they started making beer back in 1985.

It s my considered opinion that Sam Adams is to Yuengling as a topaz is to a rhinestone.

CrumbSnatcher
06-20-2008, 22:33
I gotta admit, the Yuengling was fine last summer. I'm not much of beer conni-sewer, but I did enjoy the stuff. It always hit the spot.
i don't drink often either,but when i'm on a long hike. **** ya,line um up...everything taste better coming off the trail

CrumbSnatcher
06-20-2008, 22:33

Panzer
been there done that, thanks though...

CrumbSnatcher
06-20-2008, 22:35
I'm from Boston originally, and have sampled Sam Adams since they started making beer back in 1985.

It s my considered opinion that Sam Adams is to Yuengling as a topaz is to a rhinestone. sam adams my ass,the JACK i know drinks JIM. and i can buy sam adams here if i was so inclined... and i still have your mail drop, you blew off. the jim is waiting for the jack to get me a mail drop location...

CrumbSnatcher
06-20-2008, 22:39
I never had the pleasure of tasting Yuengling. But I hear its good. I been more of Sam Adams and micro-breweries out of Asheville. Damn fine good beer. There was a microbrewery in Greenwood, IN (south of Indy) that had some most amazing beer.

You been watching too much Burt Reynolds and Smoky and the Bandit.

Its legal to transport and possess beer as long as your of age in the states you are driving. And as long as your not sampling the sweet nectar while driving.

When I was working the dorm desk in college, kids would have carts worth of opened coke cases, yet we couldn't search them. But you know what was in them.
i have never watched smokey and the bandit, ok i'm lying but only ten or twelve times.thanks for a good laugh:D

Jack Tarlin
06-20-2008, 22:41
Holey Smoley, did I ever get THAT one wrong! :eek: What was I thinking???

I meant to say that the Yuengling represents the topaz here, period.

Sam is an over-rated yuppie beer for affected snobs. No real Bostonian drinks it.

Yuengling rules, end of story.

Damn, I really need to do an idiot check before posting. My profound apologies!!

CrumbSnatcher
06-20-2008, 22:48
Holey Smoley, did I ever get THAT one wrong! :eek: What was I thinking???

I meant to say that the Yuengling represents the topaz here, period.

Sam is an over-rated yuppie beer for affected snobs. No real Bostonian drinks it.

Yuengling rules, end of story.

Damn, I really need to do an idiot check before posting. My profound apologies!!
thats sounds alot better jack. didn't damascus just start selling yuengling a few years back, from the florida plant right? if i do have some shipped to me, what do you people think bottle or can (taste) and shipping cost think cans would save that much on shipping. and wheres L.W. i want to know if i'm a dumbass for liking yuengling or if its alright...

Jack Tarlin
06-20-2008, 22:58
No Yuengling in Damascus, at least not as of a few weeks ago.

Will not comment about the legality or propriety of having the stuff mailed to you via USPS or private carrier. That's up to you.

But I suspect cans would be cheaper, easier, and would be perfectly acceptable to whoever is lucky enough to receive them.

rafe
06-20-2008, 22:58

Really, dude, I was working hard to unscramble your topaz / rhinestone analogy. Went way over my head... and apparently yours also.

I'm hardly a "real Bostonian" but never considered Sam Adams to be terribly special. Stella Artois for me nowadays, given a choice (or when it's on my dime.) Otherwise I'm not fussy.

wolfsbane
06-20-2008, 23:53
I live in Tampa, and have been on the tour of the facility several times. Although I know all the beer here comes from PA and all of PA's comes from here, curious.... But I have tasted both, and I have to say, it tastes amazing when its "fresh". of course that means just after the fermentation process. but go yuengling!!

wolfsbane
06-20-2008, 23:54
by the way, dogfish head or flying dog are both amazing breweries

Sleepy the Arab
06-21-2008, 00:06
Yuengling's a fine trail brew, and no better sampled than at the Doyle, surrounded by a crowd of hikers, some of whom may be singing along to the jukebox which in all likelihood is playing "New York, New York". I'm also partial to Long Trail Ale, served at the Inn at Long Trail (which is still on the LT/AT and down with anyone who says otherwise).

Sam Adams always clogs my sinuses. I can't figure that one out.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 00:10
And considering the size of your big honkin' nose, Sleepy, this is no laughing matter. :D

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 00:36
Long Trail is definitely a fav. Sam Adams anything is not so hot. Been a while since I had a Yuengling, but I do recall liking it. Local bars in CT have added Blue Moon lately - not bad. I'm kind of a Bass Man. A Guinness on occasion is grand.

What do locals in Boston drink? I may be spending more time there soon and would like to get a head start on the culture. ;)

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 00:54
Ta hell with Blue Moon.

It's pretentious and fake.

It's supposedly a Belgian style wheat craft beer made by the "Blue Moon Brewing Company."

Um, no. It's always been over-rated and is actually made by Coors!

Tin Man: I grew up in Boston and the locals there are no more sophisticated than anyone else. The number one beer is Budweiser, same as anywhere else.

I suggest you stick to Beck's.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 01:04
Ta hell with Blue Moon.

It's pretentious and fake.

It's supposedly a Belgian style wheat craft beer made by the "Blue Moon Brewing Company."

Um, no. It's always been over-rated and is actually made by Coors!

Tin Man: I grew up in Boston and the locals there are no more sophisticated than anyone else. The number one beer is Budweiser, same as anywhere else.

I suggest you stick to Beck's.

Thanks for the update on Blue Moon - should have known better than to listen to my local beer friend. The problem is our smallish establishments don't offer many choices on tap.

I thought maybe Boston might have more taste than Bud. And no Beck's for me, thanks. I'll stick with Bass or Heineken or micro brew.

dmax
06-21-2008, 02:24
Hay CrumbSnatcher, I see your from Lincoln, Ne.
If you ever get into Omaha, go down to the Old Market in downtown. There is a bar called the "Dubliner". They sell over 100 different type of beers. It seems like ages ago, but I used to bartend there. Upstairs is a different bar, The Oyster Bar. I would always trade some beer for a plate of oyster rockafeller. Oh the memories.

dmax
06-21-2008, 02:28
If I can remember when the time comes, my mom is metting me at the outerbanks at the end of July. I could stuff her trunk and maybe you could meet her by the Gretna mall, when she gets back in town.

dmax
06-21-2008, 02:30
Oops,
Maybe she'll be "meeting" me instead. I guess I was thinking about all those beers.

CrumbSnatcher
06-21-2008, 07:41
If you ever get into Omaha, go down to the Old Market in downtown. There is a bar called the "Dubliner". They sell over 100 different type of beers. It seems like ages ago, but I used to bartend there. Upstairs is a different bar, The Oyster Bar. I would always trade some beer for a plate of oyster rockafeller. Oh the memories.
i'll always be a cornhusker fan,but me and the family are moving to the mountains soon. thinking about east tennessee. and not just to be closer to the yuengling

CrumbSnatcher
06-21-2008, 07:44
yeah but do they sell the yuengling! listen to me i sound like a crack head needing a fix...

StarLyte
06-21-2008, 08:00

Panzer

Yeah Vicki serves it in 1/2 gallon glasses.

I'm not a beer drinker, but I tasted it once, and as it was going down my throat, I thought....I could live on this. Never touched it again....I scared myself. :eek:

Now I just take pictures of all my friends drinking it HA HA HA :banana

Crumbsnatcher, anything I can do to get it to you, just ask! My fiance' is a beer man and he picks up a case when we travel. The last case I bought in Duncannon was only $16.00.

StarLyte
06-21-2008, 08:01
i'll always be a cornhusker fan,but me and the family are moving to the mountains soon. thinking about east tennessee. and not just to be closer to the yuengling

....sure......

:sun

vonfrick
06-21-2008, 08:32
by the way, dogfish head or flying dog are both amazing breweries

try the 120 minute (if you can find it! and afford it!) but the 90 minute will do in a pinch

as for other domestics...allagash tripel, stone arrogant bastard ale (or any of their stuff actually) and victory brewing co. esp the old horizontal ale are all excellent.

i grew up outside philly and it just amazes me how yuengling has become "desirable" when it was always just the cheap local beer you drank in college.

as for belgians....oh i could go on forever....did i mention i love beer? mmmmm beery-beer.

oh and threads about beer.

and beer. :sun

solace
06-21-2008, 09:23
**WITNESS** TRUE-ACCOUNT HERE!!! I witnessed Jack with "somthing" besides Mr. Daniels at this years APRIL FOOLS BASH in Franklin.. could hardly believe my own eyes!! :) (And, it was not SNOB ADAMS BEER!)

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 09:29
Solace:

Um, Jack doesn't drink Mr. Daniels.

You are doubtless confusing me with someone else. :D

solace
06-21-2008, 09:35
Jack.. please forgive my youth.. at 35, perhaps my eyes are even failing me ;) Surley.. it must have been KTR.. THAT HIKER LUSH!

CrumbSnatcher
06-21-2008, 10:29
If I can remember when the time comes, my mom is metting me at the outerbanks at the end of July. I could stuff her trunk and maybe you could meet her by the Gretna mall, when she gets back in town.
i wouldn't say no!!! 2-3 cases would be ok wouldn't want her to be inconvienced...

ScoutingFamily74
06-21-2008, 10:30
Hard to beat a nice cold bottle of Moose Drool!

http://www.bigskybrew.com/

veteran
06-21-2008, 10:38
A Yuengling Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjGJjnPNoC8)

oops56
06-21-2008, 10:57
I love it when they promote d. w. i. and this state Vermont going to pass a bill to up grade % of alcohol in beer. Money hungry the more they catch DWI the more the state makes

Sleepy the Arab
06-21-2008, 12:59
And considering the size of your big honkin' nose, Sleepy, this is no laughing matter. :D

You know what they say about people with big noses...
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 13:16
I love it when they promote d. w. i. and this state Vermont going to pass a bill to up grade % of alcohol in beer. Money hungry the more they catch DWI the more the state makes

Yeah, raising money. That's why the do it. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
06-21-2008, 13:41
Tried Yuengling recently. It didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. My wife didn't care for it either.

I'll stick with the occasional Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

TACKLE
06-21-2008, 14:29
In the 70's it was the cheapest beer we could find. Five dollars for 24 - 16 oz. returnables. Whoever did the marketing on that beer was a genius. The entire east coast from Georgia to New Jersey is going nuts for the stuff.

ALOHA,

TACKLE

Tennessee Viking
06-21-2008, 15:44
I will have to ask Bob Peoples what he drinks....that will answer that question.

But when your surrounded by Bud, Coors, and Millers, Sam Adams is good beer. Who wants rice beer. But when you want 24pack for $10 go for the Michelob...lol

I can go for Molsons, Blue Moon, or a Heine

warraghiyagey
06-21-2008, 16:07
Labatt's Triple X

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:13
Labatts! Haven't had that one in awhile. What's the triple x? naked beer?

CrumbSnatcher
06-21-2008, 16:18
seen on the news this morning,with the weakening american dollor that (ANHEISER BUSCH)budweiser is having trouble fighting a buy out from a european company

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:32
seen on the news this morning,with the weakening american dollor that (ANHEISER BUSCH)budweiser is having trouble fighting a buy out from a european company

Actually, Bud is a fav in many places in Euorope (go figure), so that would be a fit. A shame, but a fit.

warraghiyagey
06-21-2008, 16:36
Labatts! Haven't had that one in awhile. What's the triple x? naked beer?
One of the original 8.9%s. You only need a couple (few). :)

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 18:37
You know what they say about people with big noses...
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

They shouldn't go around sniffin' flowers? :cool:

Sleepy the Arab
06-22-2008, 00:33
They shouldn't go around sniffin' flowers? :cool:

People with big noses...tend to insinuate that other parts of their anatomy are big without that really being the case.

But at least I got to use the banana, so I must get some sort of innuendo points there, right?

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 09:56
People with big noses...tend to insinuate that other parts of their anatomy are big without that really being the case.

But at least I got to use the banana, so I must get some sort of innuendo points there, right?

No, you had innuendo last night. This post removes all innuendonessosity...whatever. No soup for you.

middle to middle
07-07-2008, 10:05
I actually drink Sam Adams all the time. Just can"t say anything negative about any beer.

Life is short.

T

A-Train
07-07-2008, 12:01
Just found this thread. I like drinking beer, but with the hipster revolution/gentrafication movement going on in Brooklyn and NYC, I don't really purchase beer much anymore. Anything microbrew is around 10 bucks or more, insane.

Seems the less you drink, the more special they are.

I guess I used to be somewhat of a beer snob, sticking to micros. When I was in Costa Rica, it was hot and all they had was light beer, so I drank it, and learned to like it!

I'm still partial to Long Trail Ale. Got me through college :)

Pedaling Fool
07-07-2008, 12:22
Ya'll want a real beer, try this stuff http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92/

Pedaling Fool
07-07-2008, 12:23
Actually, Bud is a fav in many places in Euorope (go figure), so that would be a fit. A shame, but a fit.
Bud sucks, they can have it:banana

funkcicle
07-07-2008, 15:45
Thanks for the update on Blue Moon - should have known better than to listen to my local beer friend. The problem is our smallish establishments don't offer many choices on tap.

A good beer is a good beer, who cares where it comes from? Blue Moon is delicious, I applaud Coors for making a good wheat beer so widely available... wasn't more than 5 years ago when there were a lot of parts of this country where you couldn't get a Belgian (real or fake) within 100 miles!!

Odd Thomas
07-07-2008, 15:52

The same Budweiser? Or the one with the same name since 1878 that's currently fighting them in court?

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1588022,00.html

Sly
07-07-2008, 15:54
No beer snob here, I'll drink any brand.

MOWGLI
07-07-2008, 15:55
Bud sucks, they can have it:banana

On a hot day with nothing else around, I'll have an icy cold bottle of "suck", please. :sun

Odd Thomas
07-07-2008, 15:56

Rice beer gives me headaches, but I don't drink much anyway.

Budweiser in Europe surprises me.

flemdawg1
07-07-2008, 16:02
The Czech Budweiser is good stuff. Had it in Greece.

Heater
07-07-2008, 16:02
On a hot day with nothing else around, I'll have an icy cold bottle of "suck", please. :sun

Careful of what you ask for and especially how you phrase it! ;)

;););)

Wonder
07-07-2008, 16:53
I haven't read all of the posts.....but from a keystoner living in the south YES....it taste different. What I wouldn't give for a 6 of pennsylvania piss water right now.........

Lone Wolf
07-07-2008, 16:55
What I wouldn't give for a 6 of pennsylvania piss water right now.........

go to cowboy's and get some yuengling

kayak karl
07-07-2008, 20:27
same here. when we were young we drank Schlitz, Schaefer, Iron City, Old Milwaukee and Ortlieb's any thing is better then them, but i do miss Piels Beer

PixieJoone
07-07-2008, 20:31
Found Yuengling this spring in every trail town from Georgia to central Virgina. Don't know if it was from Fla or Pa. Just know it was all very good. A great beer at a fair price! Its the unofficial official beer of the AT.

Lone Wolf
07-07-2008, 20:33
Its the unofficial official beer of the AT.

nope. PBR is

bfitz
07-07-2008, 20:46
nope. PBR isNo, PBR's the official beer of the AT.

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2008, 20:55
lost my dad,when i was 15 yrs old. been along time but i remember his beer of choice was PBR.

Tin Man
07-07-2008, 21:21
The same Budweiser? Or the one with the same name since 1878 that's currently fighting them in court?

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1588022,00.html

Good point. Even if it is the same company making and labeling a bottle Budweiser, doesn't make it the same elsewhere in the world. I understand McDonald's had to change their burger ingredients to match local tastes in different parts of the world. Hint: Don't order a McCheesburger in countries where horse-meat is a common food item. ;)

Tin Man
07-07-2008, 21:23
I'm still partial to Long Trail Ale.

Now there's an ale! Have you tried the Long Trail IPA? Excellent.

saimyoji
07-07-2008, 21:31
I understand McDonald's had to change their burger ingredients to match local tastes in different parts of the world. Hint: Don't order a McCheesburger in countries where horse-meat is a common food item. ;)

Horse meat is very good. Have you tried it?

Tin Man
07-07-2008, 21:46
Horse meat is very good. Have you tried it?

Not that I am aware of, but I don't want to be ordering a burger, expecting beef (and byproducts) and getting horse without my knowledge. Heck, I might give it a try. I have had different wild animals, some better than others.

Pedaling Fool
07-07-2008, 22:00
I can't even get a buzz going with the typical beers from big companies. Microbrewery beers are the only way to go. I say again: Budweiser sucks! However, they do have some hot chicks on posters:)

Lone Wolf
07-07-2008, 22:04
busch light rules

Tin Man
07-07-2008, 22:05
busch light rules

when quantity counts :)

saimyoji
07-07-2008, 22:09
Not that I am aware of, but I don't want to be ordering a burger, expecting beef (and byproducts) and getting horse without my knowledge. Heck, I might give it a try. I have had different wild animals, some better than others.

Fair enough. But I think that at places like McDs you'll be safe. And to stay true to the thread, in many places around the world you can get beer at McDs. :cool:

funkcicle
07-07-2008, 22:35
I understand McDonald's had to change their burger ingredients to match local tastes in different parts of the world. Hint: Don't order a McCheesburger in countries where horse-meat is a common food item. ;)

You might not want to find out what many other nations' health agencies think about what the FDA considers acceptable in the U.S. Beef is a great example of this, a lot of Canadian beef that is deemed UNFIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION and labeled as such is often shipped to the united states, where it meets USDA standards, to be repackaged and sold to the public. My brother-in-law once temped in a Montreal warehouse where his actual job was REMOVING the "NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" stickers from various food packages so they could be shipped to the United States and sold in Kosher Food Co-ops. There are also a lot of food treatments that are common practice in the united states but known and recognized to be harmful to humans in much of the rest of the world. And don't get me started on high fructose corn syrup(EVIL)!

I don't know where McD's burgers fall in the grand scheme of things, but I personally don't consider anything from McDonald's or KFC in the U.S. to be even edible, whereas food from their counterparts north of the border (KFC especially) is of markedly higher quality. Canadian KFC bones don't "melt in your mouth", for one. :P

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2008, 22:36
busch light rules
i like busch light on a long hike,save some money

CrumbSnatcher
07-07-2008, 22:38
I can't even get a buzz going with the typical beers from big companies. Microbrewery beers are the only way to go. I say again: Budweiser sucks! However, they do have some hot chicks on posters:)
i don't like bud either,but somebody likes it. i heard it outsells all other beers combined...(imports)

saimyoji
07-07-2008, 22:41
I don't know where McD's burgers fall in the grand scheme of things, but I personally don't consider anything from McDonald's or KFC in the U.S. to be even edible, whereas food from their counterparts north of the border (KFC especially) is of markedly higher quality. Canadian KFC bones don't "melt in your mouth", for one. :P

Can you get a beer in Cannuck McDs?

ed bell
07-07-2008, 23:15
I always thought steak and beer went good together, still do.:cool:

saimyoji
07-07-2008, 23:17
meat in a beer discussion.

mmmmmmm.....beer and meat.