PDA

View Full Version : silnylon tarp for PCT?

julian
06-20-2008, 21:34
Hello!
My name's Julian and I'll be doing a thru-hike of the PCT next year. I've been stuck in a debate with myself about silnylon tarp size -- so I'm hoping some of you veteran thru-hikers can weigh in here and help me decide. I'll be hiking it solo, so I don't need a lot of room. Have any of you done the PCT or similar with a 6x8 tarp? Would going larger be necessary if I really only need cover for myself and ultralight smallish bag (golite pinnacle)?

I'm thinking the advantages of keeping the footprint small (like more campsite options) outweigh the disadvantages of cramped quarters.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all care to give.

rafe
06-20-2008, 21:48
I hear tell the bugs are vicious on the PCT...

julian
06-20-2008, 22:00
Sorry, forgot to mention! I've got a bug net bivy I'll be using with the tarp.

Mags
06-22-2008, 14:32
I'd only go with a small tarp if you have the experience using a tarp this size. If you are used to using a smallish tarp, you'll be fine.

I used an 8x10 tarp on the PCT and it worked well. I used a tarp of 5x7 on the CT and found it a bit too small for my tastes. Perhaps a 6x8 will be a better compromise.

WalkingStick75
06-22-2008, 18:09
My old tarp was 7x7 nylon with built in netting never had any problems. My new one is 8x10 silnylone and bug bivy just for that little extra room on those wet days and this is still combo is still lighter then my old setup.

Rambler
06-23-2008, 19:48
SpinnTwinn from Gossamer Gear only weighs 11 oz, although spin (as in spinnaker) cloth is scarce at the moment. Mount Laurel Designs has a similar tarp. Look also at Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis.

Footslogger
06-23-2008, 21:15
SpinnTwinn from Gossamer Gear only weighs 11 oz, although spin (as in spinnaker) cloth is scarce at the moment. Mount Laurel Designs has a similar tarp. Look also at Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis.
=================================

I can vouch for the Wild Oasis from Six Moon Designs ...not necessarily on the PCT, but as a lightweight tarp/tent (mine weighs 11 ounces).

'Slogger

bigcranky
06-24-2008, 09:34
I'm over six feet, so I like a 6x10 foot tarp for the extra coverage. I made mine, but I've seen that size at outfitters along the AT.

Mags
06-24-2008, 10:03
=================================

I can vouch for the Wild Oasis from Six Moon Designs ...not necessarily on the PCT, but as a lightweight tarp/tent (mine weighs 11 ounces).

'Slogger

I used the very similar Gatewood Cape on the CDT with great results.

taildragger
06-24-2008, 10:56
Get good at pitching it in wind in case you get to have one of the nights like I did past Augua Dulce (very very windy)