PDA

View Full Version : Im so freaking excited

wolfsbane
06-20-2008, 23:49
I just wanted to share with everyone how much I can not wait to get my new equipment in the mail haha, says it should get to me by the 25th.... i cant wait to pre-camp my living room before heading out on the trail!

Odd Thomas
06-20-2008, 23:51
I just wanted to share with everyone how much I can not wait to get my new equipment in the mail haha, says it should get to me by the 25th.... i cant wait to pre-camp my living room before heading out on the trail!

WooHoo! Hope the weather holds out :D

hopefulhiker
06-21-2008, 07:49
Good luck! If you need any gear opinions you can post your gear list and have a "virtual shakedown" if you haven't already..

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-21-2008, 07:53
::: Dino seen basking in the glow coming from wolfsbane :::

It is really nice to see an excited hiker.

StarLyte
06-21-2008, 07:54

You got the itch don't ya.

The itch never goes away, trust me.

Have fun - and yes, post back here after you set up your gear...or if they kick you out of your house ;)

wolfsbane
06-21-2008, 07:56
hmm, that sounds like the scariest good idea ive heard haha. ok well here goes part of my list at least, the new stuff that is.

Marmot aura 2p tent

osprey aether 70

northface cat's meow 20 bag

gsi nform soloist cook system

therm-a-rest prolite 3 pad

petzl tikka plus headlamp

thats all my new stuff, criticize away everyone!

Two Speed
06-21-2008, 08:05
Well, I think the pack's too big, but there really is only one way to find out. Load that sucker up and hit the trail!

wolfsbane
06-21-2008, 08:12
Well, I think the pack's too big, but there really is only one way to find out. Load that sucker up and hit the trail!

ya, that is the only way i suppose, but everything I read about it said 4200 CI is a great medium size.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 10:37
When is your hike? If you have time, a field test might be better than a living room test.

Bear Cables
06-21-2008, 11:48
Don't you just LOVE new gear! I'm such a gear junkie:banana

wolfsbane
06-21-2008, 11:48
ya, i am going to field test it all with a buddy of mine at this camping ground before i leave. no worries, thanks for the thought though

double d
06-21-2008, 13:06
Wolfsbane, let us know how your hike goes and also, post how well (or not) the marmot aura holds up, I hear good things about the tent.

Two Speed
06-21-2008, 15:26
ya, that is the only way i suppose, but everything I read about it said 4200 CI is a great medium size.Ummm, you sure you didn't misread "mongo" as "medium?"

My reason for griping about that is twofold:

First, it's human nature* to fill a pack. If you've got a 2,500 CI pack most folks will try to stuff it with about 2,700 CI of crap. If you've got a 5,500 CI pack most folks will try to stuff it with 6,000 CI of crap.

Next, I think the right 2,500 CI pack is just fine for hiking the AT, unless you're doing cold weather hikes in New England. That requires more clothing, which could require more space. Haven't done that, so I don't know. I do know that I can make a 2,000 CI pack work just fine for three day trips in mild weather.

I do have a suggestion, though. When you go on your first couple of trips try to keep a good, running inventory of what you have and what you actually use. Anything that you don't use and isn't a safety item, like the first aid kit or maps, needs consideration: do you really need that item, or can you make some other item work in place of the first one? If you didn't really need it or can substitute something else, don't bring the unused item next time.

Great way to reduce volume and weight in your pack, but it still boils down to "load that sucker up and hit the trail."

*OK, maybe not human nature, but I sure suffer from that particular defect.

wolfsbane
06-25-2008, 10:59
well its out for delivery right now, should be here soon! and I will let you guys know how the aura holds up. and two speed, i will be sure to take your advice into consideration, thanks. :)

IceAge
06-25-2008, 12:20
I do have a suggestion, though. When you go on your first couple of trips try to keep a good, running inventory of what you have and what you actually use. Anything that you don't use and isn't a safety item, like the first aid kit or maps, needs consideration: do you really need that item, or can you make some other item work in place of the first one? If you didn't really need it or can substitute something else, don't bring the unused item next time.

How come every time I try this I end up deciding to bring MORE stuff?

(P.S. I am currently excitedly waiting on my REI Flash UL to be delivered to the local store, it sure makes the days go slowly when you are waiting for new gear!)

solace
06-25-2008, 12:23
Petzl does a well-built headlamp.... as far as the sleeping pad.. therma rest, eh.. ok.. but, big agnes!! the way to go.. comfort.. packs small.. lightweight!

Bob S
06-25-2008, 12:28
You know you are addicted when you set up a tent in your living room or dinning room, and can’t even wait to set it up outside.

But you are really far gone when you start cooking in the kitchen with your camp stove (and then go to the tent to eat it) when there is a perfectly good gas range and microwave within arms reach.

PS: Not that I have ever done this.;)

whitefoot_hp
06-25-2008, 12:34
Ummm, you sure you didn't misread "mongo" as "medium?"

My reason for griping about that is twofold:

First, it's human nature* to fill a pack. If you've got a 2,500 CI pack most folks will try to stuff it with about 2,700 CI of crap. If you've got a 5,500 CI pack most folks will try to stuff it with 6,000 CI of crap.

bla bla bla. if he wanted to , he could let the synthetic cats meow loft out and fill the entire pack that he is getting.

wolfsbane
06-25-2008, 12:47
thanks whitefoot haha

Two Speed
06-25-2008, 12:52
bla bla bla. if he wanted to , he could let the synthetic cats meow loft out and fill the entire pack that he is getting.Well, you can also buy a steamer trunk and fill the unoccupied volume with styrofoam peanuts if you want to.

Each to their own. I still say the best way to figure it out is to load that sucker up and hit the trail.

wolfsbane
06-25-2008, 15:34
im camping in the livingroom haha.... awesome stuff, awesome stuff

IceAge
06-25-2008, 15:51
Reminds me of back when I was in my first apartment, a friend stopped over and was wondering why I had all the windows open and a tent set up in my living room when it was only like 45° outside.

She still didn't understand after I tried explaining "seam-sealing' to her, so I just said I liked camping in the house. She already thought I was weird so no harm done!

Mercy
06-25-2008, 17:29
:bananaI pitched my tent the first time on my deck....

ain't it fun!!!!