PDA

View Full Version : I guess Osprey flew away.?

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 08:06
So I have an Osprey Aether 70. The problem is that I am between sizes. I need a medium pack with a small hip belt though I didn't realize how bad it was until hiking a bit. At Trail Days I talked to the rep about this. He said that it would be no problem and said they would switch out the pack and keep the hip belt the same. I was not expecting them to do this at all. He also said that there was no rush, that they would be there through Sunday afternoon. Of course when Sunday came around they were gone. As many of you know I have back issues and the suspension on this pack helps me tremendously so this disappointed me greatly. So I sent them an email, with no response, and another, and another. I haven't so much as gotten an email saying that they can't help me. I wonder if Osprey is really owned by North Face? Is that their excuse for poor customer service?:-?

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 08:15
Osprey is independent, is privately owned, and has no connection with The North Face.

I've had Ospreys for over a decade and never had a problem with either the product or their customer service department.

Osprey is now one of the three most common packs seen on the Trail, and for good reason: They make great stuff and the vast majority of their customers are very happy with their products, tho as with anything else, one can't please everybody.

If your correspondence with the company was as whiny, childish, and bitchy as your latest post, Jason, I'd have been tempted to ignore it, too. :D

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 08:21
He probably smelled like rope, so they told him to come back on Sunday when they knew they would be gone.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 08:24
Is your life really that miserable that you feel the need to try and belittle everyone around you, man? What is childish about wanting a rep to do what he told me or atleast get an email of some acknowledgement? Yes, it is a good product but does that give them the right to ignore someone who just bought two packs from them a couple of months ago? To me that's bad business. The North Face comment was a joke. If you don't know North Face is nitorious for poor customer service not to mention the fact that they give absolutely nothing back to the hiking community in which the overcharge for their ok gear. Go back to bed Jack.;)

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 08:25
Let me add to my first post, which is retrospect, was kind of rough on Jason.

The possibility exists that they never got your E-Mails. Did you ever try calling them? Personal contact often works better than a letter or E-Mail. You can reach them for free at 866-284-7830, Monday thru Friday, Mountain Time.

More contact info is available, if necessary, at www.ospreypacks.com

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 08:27
OK, fine. I take it back. My first post wasn't tough enough. :D

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 08:29
Yep, I think that the next time that I cross your path on the path we should thumb wrestle this out to see who the bigger man is.:)

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 08:34
Having some knowledge of how businesses work, they often refuse to deal with those who come off all whinny. Why? Because they know they can never win, so why should they spend and time, effort or money on the losers? I don't know what you wrote them, but if it is anything like you wrote here, it is not so surprising that they have wrote you off.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 08:35
Sorry, I missed the email part. Yes, definitely call them and don't freaking b*tch.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 08:37
Oh, I haven't even begun to b$tch, but I can.

Jack Tarlin
Of that, believe me, we have no doubt. :D

Tin Man
Many companies offer email support. Few are able to get it right because they quickly get flooded.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 08:38
So I'm a loser? Would you care to compare lives??:D
Having some knowledge of how businesses work, they often refuse to deal with those who come off all whinny. Why? Because they know they can never win, so why should they spend and time, effort or money on the losers? I don't know what you wrote them, but if it is anything like you wrote here, it is not so surprising that they have wrote you off.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 08:39
Oh, I haven't even begun to b$tch, but I can.

Like I said, you b*tch, you lose. Try being nice for a change, you would be surprised how many would go out of their way to help.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 08:40
All we need to do is compare your posts.

TM is coming off as calm, rational, co-operative.

You're coming off like a petulant whiner.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 08:41
Dude, try knowing someone before you name call. Now you are starting to eat at me. Don't be an A%$!:eek:
Like I said, you b*tch, you lose. Try being nice for a change, you would be surprised how many would go out of their way to help.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 08:43
TM isn't the one being an ass here, Jason.

You started this thread for one reason only: to make Osprey look bad.

And you've failed.

The only one on this thread who looks bad right now is YOU.

Stop whining so much, it's unseemly.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 08:49
Dude, try knowing someone before you name call. Now you are starting to eat at me. Don't be an A%$!:eek:

I didn't call you any names, but I can. Freaking Stoner. :D

And I have read enough of your posts to know you as a whiner. Stop whinning, it ain't that hard and it will win you more assistance than constitently berating everyone who doesn't behave the way you want them to.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 08:50
Tell me Jack why it is that I look bad? I called out Osprey so that other consumers would know how I've been treated. You two are the ones who attacked me out of the gate. Really man get a life. Aren't you hiking or did it get too rough?

rafe
06-21-2008, 08:51
And I have read enough of your posts to know you as a whiner. Stop whinning...

I've read enough of your posts to know that you're an ankle-biting poodle... :D yap yap

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 08:52
TY Terra.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 08:53
I've hiked more on purpose than you have by accident.

Now, you're REALLY looking stupid, Jason.

You posted here to make yourself feel better and to make Osprey look bad.

And what have you succeeded in doing?

Do you feel better now? I doubt it.

Does Osprey look bad, when compared to YOU?

Um, no.

Give it a rest. Go get stoned or something. You're starting to make people laugh. :D

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 08:56
I suspect that later, when more folks are on-line, we'll be hearing from all sorts of folks who are happy Osprey owners or who have had positive experiences with their excellent customer service department.

Then, maybe Jason will realize how sad and pathetic his thread is.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 08:58
I've read enough of your posts to know that you're an ankle-biting poodle... :D yap yap

LOL. That's funny. Online personalities are a little different than real life in most cases. Somehow, I would guess your's ain't. :D

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 09:00
I suspect that later, when more folks are on-line, we'll be hearing from all sorts of folks who are happy Osprey owners or who have had positive experiences with their excellent customer service department.

Then, maybe Jason will realize how sad and pathetic his thread is.

I don't own an Osprey, but I am tempted to buy one now. Maybe I should just buy the company and have more fun with Jason. :)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 09:07
What's sad and pathetic is that every time I post I have to hear the "Almighty" Jack's opinion. Maybe you should take your own advice. If I bug you that much then you don't post. Oh, it might be too hard for you to keep yyour mouth shut, huh?:)

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 09:10
What's sad and pathetic is that every time I post I have to hear the "Almighty" Jack's opinion. Maybe you should take your own advice. If I bug you that much then you don't post. Oh, it might be too hard for you to keep yyour mouth shut, huh?:)

Jack is offering helpful advice. Clearly, it's a waste of time.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 09:12
If your correspondence with the company was as whiny, childish, and bitchy as your latest post, Jason, I'd have been tempted to ignore it, too.

I'm sorry I took this as an idiotic response.?:)

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 09:13
Keep one's mouth shut, Jason?

Um, please note......maybe it's YOU who you should take your own advice. After all, I didn't start this whiny bitchfest thread. YOU did. If you hadn't felt the need to screech, whine, and yell for the Waaambulance, we wouldn't be having this dialogue.

So next time, maybe YOU should keep your mouth shut.

Next time you feel the need to throw a public tantrum, count to ten or get stoned or something. You'll feel lots better, and won't look so silly.

Have a nice day. :D

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 09:16
I only shared my experience with other consumers as I've said before. Forgive me for thinking about other hikers. I believe that it was your childish response to that that got me going. I can feel a lot better knowing that a man twice my age is acting so silly. It makes me feel so much more grown-up. Thanks Jack!

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 09:19
You are most welcome, Jason.

Any more complaints or rants or are you done for the day?

No?

Excellent, we'll move on. Nothing to see here, folks.

Oh, and spare us the great humanitarian nonsense. You didn't start this thread for other hikers. You did it for yourself. You wanted to make Osprey look bad, and you needed to make yourself feel better.

Too bad neither of these things worked. :rolleyes:

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 09:19
If your correspondence with the company was as whiny, childish, and bitchy as your latest post, Jason, I'd have been tempted to ignore it, too.

I'm sorry I took this as an idiotic response.?:)

Sorry, but you are wrong. For starters, you said you emailed it, so it is entirely possible your email go lost in with a bunch of others. Secondly, if it was read, who would you help first, the one who politely asked for service or the one whining and b*tchy? Comprehendo??

If you want to get helpful assistance, this is the right approach... Call the 800 support number, say something like "Hi, I don't know if you received my email, but I have a problem with my pack and I would like to talk to someone who could help." The likely response is something like, "Oh, I am glad you called. We can't keep up with all the email. Let me connect you with someone who would be happy to help."

If you take an approach like "Your product and service svcks, I demand service right now." You are more than likely to get "sure, hold one second please" and you can listen to the symphony for the next hour or so.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 09:22
Here is the eamil. You tell me?:

To Whom it may concern,
I am in the middle of a thru-hike of the AT and am having problems with my pack. The problem is that I have a small pack and should have been put in a medium with a small hip belt. I talked to your reps at Trail Days. The first guy said that it would be no problem to swap them. When I went back the new guy who was there told me that he couldn't do that and I would need to come back and talk to the first guy on Sunday. Not to mention that he was very unfriendly and acted as if I were bothering him.? When I went back on Sunday Osprey was packed up and gone. This very much disappointed me. My fiance and I both purchased packs from you before our hike began. I feel it is a shame that we spent that kind of money and I am not able to use the pack. I have back problems and the suspension is good for me. Hiking is the only exercise that I am allowed to do. Right now I have sent my pack home and am using a ULA. I am really hoping that I will be able to swap the
pack like I was told origionally.

Thanks,
Jason

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 09:28
Not too bad, but like I said, call them, it's likely no one read your email. Just be nice. :)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 09:30
See, you should always know the details before jumping to conclusions. I have been in upper management for about twelve years so I am capable of dealing with customer service. I have a hard time believing that in this day and age they didn't get my email.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 09:32
Do the people you work for know how much weed you consume? :D

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 09:33
Does anyone have to divulge the amount of medication that they take to their employer? That is your most intellegent statement of the week, congrats my friend!
Do the people you work for know how much weed you consume? :D

Tabasco
06-21-2008, 09:37
appears whiny to me. when you spoke to the reps, you should have gotten their names. this reads poorly, with too many "this guy" "that guy" "new guy" references. the off handed reference to ULA is another poorly placed comment if you want preferential treatment from Osprey.

just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

I love my ULA pack too. Brian is an amazing guy.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 09:39
See, you should always know the details before jumping to conclusions. I have been in upper management for about twelve years so I am capable of dealing with customer service. I have a hard time believing that in this day and age they didn't get my email.

I am telling you for the LAST time - it is unlikely they got your email. I know, I deliver the email, among other things, and it is a joke. Companies set up email customer support and are suddenly surprised that they are up to their eyeballs in email. 100s-1000s times x what they got in snail mail. Without a good filtration tool or many email staffers or both, it don't get read. Call them, it takes all of 2 minutes to call. What is so hard about that??

Upper management? You mean high-er management. :D

Tabasco
06-21-2008, 09:40
Does anyone have to divulge the amount of medication that they take to their employer? That is your most intellegent statement of the week, congrats my friend!

does your company medical insurance cover the cost of the pot? this is a totally serious question.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 09:40
Um, Jason, I hate to break this to you, but it looks like you don't know how to spell the word "intelligent." :D

If you were trying to send us some sort of message or confirm something about your posts, well, you just did it magnificently.

Thanks for the day's laugh.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 09:42
Um, Jason, I hate to break this to you, but it looks like you don't know how to spell the word "intelligent." :D

If you were trying to send us some sort of message or confirm something about your posts, well, you just did it magnificently.

Thanks for the day's laugh.

But he's in high-er management. :D:D

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 09:51
Ah, have we stooped to picking apart posts? I don't even have the time to proof read yours. Yes I do get in a hurry and misspell words just as you and everyone else does.

TM: Maybe I am. Who cares,huh? Obviously my choice in pain medicine has served as a source of laughter for you and Mr Baltimore. I only wish that the pain made me laugh and that I was able to work.:(

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 09:59
Maybe so, Jason, but when you question the intelligence of someone's posts, and you spell THAT particular word wrong, it's pretty funny.

Oh, but your pain is so profound that you can backpack for six months? What's up with THAT? :rolleyes:

You can't work but you can hike.

Right.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 10:00
TM: Maybe I am. Who cares,huh? Obviously my choice in pain medicine has served as a source of laughter for you and Mr Baltimore. I only wish that the pain made me laugh and that I was able to work.:(

Hey, I do empathize with your pain situation. As I don't know your situation or how many doctors you have seen, I would be careful about talking about it. And, if it were me, I would keep looking for a solution that didn't involve illegal substances. No disrepect intended, but are you sure you didn't stop looking once you found something you enjoy?

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 10:04
Maybe so, Jason, but when you question the intelligence of someone's posts, and you spell THAT particular word wrong, it's pretty funny.

Oh, but your pain is so profound that you can backpack for six months? What's up with THAT? :rolleyes:

You can't work but you can hike.

Right.

He is hiking for his cause: Right to Toke In Pain.

Mercy
06-21-2008, 10:48
Jason,

I telephoned Osprey with some questions a month or so ago, and they were extremely courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful. I don't live near an outfitter, and I had a small Atmos (men's) pack in my hand, and wanted to know which dimensions changed on a medium Aura (women's) pack.... length, width, and spacing on the frame and shoulder straps. A gentleman at Osprey took the measurements I was asking about while I was on the phone with him.

1) If you bought the wrong sized pack, I might understand the retailer exchanging it, but wonder how you felt it was Osprey's resonsibility. If someone at trail days had offered to do that for me, I'd have immediately dropped whatever I was doing, and retrieved my pack! Trade shows vendors often close up early. I'd have been kicking myself, not Osprey.

2) But, If I had your problem, and sent them an e-mail, the first information that I would have included was which pack model I was talking about. When someone is doing a courtesy, don't treat it as an obligation. YOU bought the wrong sized pack.

Oh yeah, and by the way...

Many government jobs, as well as jobs in the transportation industry, and jobs requiring security clearances do mandatory drug testing. Airline pilots, and maritime captains are just a few occupations that require an annual physical, listing medications taken.

People on prescriptions that impair their mental acuity or coordination don't work for the duration they are on those medications.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 10:52
Mercy, Excellent post. But I think he might be too high or too stubborn to get it.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 10:55
1) If you bought the wrong sized pack, I might understand the retailer exchanging it, but wonder how you felt it was Osprey's resonsibility. If someone at trail days had offered to do that for me, I'd have immediately dropped whatever I was doing, and retrieved my pack! Trade shows vendors often close up early. I'd have been kicking myself, not Osprey.

2) But, If I had your problem, and sent them an e-mail, the first information that I would have included was which pack model I was talking about. When someone is doing a courtesy, don't treat it as an obligation. YOU bought the wrong sized pack.

This is so right on it bears repeating. Oh, and of course they were courteous when you called, because you were polite to them no doubt.

Caveman of Ohio
06-21-2008, 10:59
I sent in a Osprey pack for repairs after my thru hike last year. They replaced both pockets and a buckle free of charge. So I am very hapy with there customer service and I would buy from them again.

adamkrz
06-21-2008, 11:02
Lighten up folks, It's ironic that if all of you were sharing a shelter on the A.T. everyone on this post would be getting along just fine.

H.Y.O.H.

Mother's Finest
06-21-2008, 11:04
Bad Customer Service?

Hoovers.com and look up the President.

Call the President and you will be transferred to someone in an upper level customer service position, not a call center.

Calmly and rationally explain your situation. If you are in the right at all, it is a virtual guarantee your problem will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Osprey is a small company, so this likely does not apply in this situation.

peace
mf

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 11:42
Yep, I agree. That's why I shared this in the first place. I don't know about anyone else but I can't afford to run around buying backpacks. Yes I knew that I was between sizes when I got my pack but I chose the more comfortable, not knowing that I could use both. As I said I was not looking for an exchange when I approached Osprey, just advice on adjusting it.

TM: Yes, I'm too stubborn. I'm a stoned idiot, remember?:rolleyes:
Bad Customer Service?

Call the President and you will be transferred to someone in an upper level customer service position, not a call center.

Calmly and rationally explain your situation. If you are in the right at all, it is a virtual guarantee your problem will be resolved to your satisfaction.

peace
mf

Tabasco
06-21-2008, 12:42
does your company medical insurance cover the cost of the pot? this is a totally serious question.

seriously Jason, curious to know

MOWGLI
06-21-2008, 12:46
Always nice to see hikers helping one another. :rolleyes:

OregonHiker
06-21-2008, 12:49
You're coming off like a petulant whiner.
Pot...Kettle...Tarlin :)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 13:08
No because of the FEDs. It can not be bought from a pharmacy either. Once it is legal with the federal government(only a matter of time), then it should be covered and considered just another medication. I'm confused about that though. The FEDs could be making a ton of tax money off of it as another medication. Right now it is still working through the whole "demon" thing I guess. I don't think that it's legal there in KY though.?
seriously Jason, curious to know

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 13:09
That's why he talks in circles.:D
Pot...Kettle...Tarlin :)

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 13:14
Bad Customer Service?

peace
mf

That works, but I don't think he has given the call center a chance. Whenever I get a call center operator reading a script to me, I always ask for their manager. That gets quick results.

Jason, peace man. :sun

Tabasco
06-21-2008, 13:52
No because of the FEDs. It can not be bought from a pharmacy either. Once it is legal with the federal government(only a matter of time), then it should be covered and considered just another medication. I'm confused about that though. The FEDs could be making a ton of tax money off of it as another medication. Right now it is still working through the whole "demon" thing I guess. I don't think that it's legal there in KY though.?

is it an MD that prescribes this medicine? seems that they would not risk losing their med license.

no clue on your cryptic. if you want to ask a question, ask it

yaduck9
06-21-2008, 13:55
Jason

Your lucky Jack doesn't start calling you a "liberal".

Both jack and Tin "man" are baiting you, and you have taken the hook. So take a moment, stand back, take a deep breath, and stop feeding these TROLLS. They're sucking you dry and they love it.

I would suggest that you go to Barnes and Noble bookstore, online and, for five bucks, read this book: "How to deal with nasty people without becoming one" . I can assure you, it will be the best five dollars you ever spent.

As for the two trolls, just ignore them or learn to make fun of them.

Trillium
06-21-2008, 15:10
If someone at trail days had offered to do that for me, I'd have immediately dropped whatever I was doing, and retrieved my pack! Trade shows vendors often close up early. I bought an Osprey pack from another WB'r at SoRuck and did the best I could to adjust it but it didn't ride quite right. I met Baltimore Jack at the Aldha tent briefly at Trail Days on Saturday and mentioned that I had purchased the pack that he had recommended to me but that it wasn't riding quite right. He suggested that I take it to the Osprey tent and see if they could help. I didn't get back to the campground until about 5:50pm and went right to the Osprey tent. They were already starting to pack up. I mentioned my situation and the rep said if I could bring the pack right over, he'd see what he could do. So, I hightailed it to my car and came right back w/ my pack. The rep adjusted this and adjusted that; had me try it on several times until he got it just right. I am very thankful to Jack for his suggestion and also to the Osprey rep for taking the time to fit my pack just right even though they were shutting things down.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 15:49
Jason

Both jack and Tin "man" are baiting you, and you have taken the hook. So take a moment, stand back, take a deep breath, and stop feeding these TROLLS. They're sucking you dry and they love it.

I would suggest that you go to Barnes and Noble bookstore, online and, for five bucks, read this book: "How to deal with nasty people without becoming one" . I can assure you, it will be the best five dollars you ever spent.

Yeah, I know. Sometimes I don't know when to let the idiots go......

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 15:57
Jason

Jack is no troll. He is out hiking. Jack was merely checking in and suggesting that Jason's approach with a respected vendor was a little off. I was trying to help. If anyone is a troll here, it is Jason bad-mouthing a vendor who others report has excellent customer service.

As for me, if Jason wants to PM me when he is passing through CT, I'll help him as my schedule permits.

People need to simmer down and quit assuming everyone is out to get them.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:03
I think that Jack hikes from computer to computer as much as he is on here. As far as me, thanks for your offer of help but I'm not sure that I want it. I'm pretty good at surviving on my own while hiking.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:17
I think that Jack hikes from computer to computer as much as he is on here. As far as me, thanks for your offer of help but I'm not sure that I want it. I'm pretty good at surviving on my own while hiking.

I wasn't offering to help you hike. But sometimes people find a ride for resupply or whaever, or simply a cold water drop ...or beverage of choice is helpful. But you decide, the offer is there. Enjoy your hike. :)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:20
Thanks man but I don't go to the woods for a good debate.:)

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:30
Thanks man but I don't go to the woods for a good debate.:)

Actually, when I am in the woods, I avoid controversial subjects myself. :)

Enjoy your hike! Seriously, I wish you the best. :cool:

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:44
Cool. You are always welcome to walk with me. I extend that invite to everyone, even Jack.:)

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 16:50
Cool. You are always welcome to walk with me. I extend that invite to everyone, even Jack.:)

Where exactly are you Jason? Taking a zero today?

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:53
Until August, why?

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 16:59
Until August, why?

Taking a month or so off? Got it. Don't get defensive, I's just askin. When you get back on, where will you start?

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:04
Far away from the anal retentive depths of WhiteBlaze. Probably Damascus, where I got off. Why, are you having a party?

rafe
06-21-2008, 17:04
Taking a month or so off? Got it. Don't get defensive, I's just askin. When you get back on, where will you start?

I'm kinda curious myself... Why a month off, if you don't mind our asking?

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:07
I am still in the process of getting some things going here and they needed me here for business purposes. Otherwise I would still be out. I have been lucky enough not to even get a blister so far.....Good Stuff!

Jason of the Woods
I'm on the two year plan.....atleast!

Tin Man
Damascus? Are you doing a flip? Otherwise, a thru is going to be next to impossible, no? Seriously, let us know what you are up to.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 17:09
I'm on the two year plan.....atleast!

Ah, I could have sworn you said you were doing a thru.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:10
I'm in no hurry this year. I am disabled you know. I'm not going to do 30 mile days. That's not how I hike. I've got a smorgasbord of people to go back and hike with so I'm not sure where I will be for sure. I will try. When I go out I am not to friendly with technology. That's kind of why I hike.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:11
You've got me confused with someone who has motivation.:D

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 17:12

Nah, he's not through-hiking, he's got a long way to go. :D

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:13
Yep and the other half of my team has to stay home this time so we have a long way to go together when she is able to get back out.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 17:16
Hmmm.....

If he acknowledges that he's not tru-hiking, then why does the first sentence of his letter to Osprey say that he's in the middle of a thru-hike?

And he only got to Damascus?

Geez, and here I was thinking that the middle of a thruhike for most people was somewhere in Pennsylvania. :D

Anything else in that letter that ain't exactly the truth? :rolleyes:

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 17:17
Hmmm.....

If he acknowledges that he's not tru-hiking, then why does the first sentence of his letter to Osprey say that he's in the middle of a thru-hike?

Geez, and here I was thinking that the middle of a thruhike for most people was somewhere in Pennsylvania. :D

His WB profile says he's thru-hikin' right now, too....let's revoke his membership. :rolleyes:

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:18
Jack, you're right I don't catch rides hundreds of miles up the trail for a couple nights at a friend's house and a fresh bottle of bourbon. And yes I wrongly classified myself, though noone is a thru-hiker until it's complete so I guess just about every hiker is guilty of this, no?:eek:
Hmmm.....

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 17:24
Hmmm.....

His WB profile says he's thru-hikin' right now, too....let's revoke his membership. :rolleyes:

And we were trying to help the guy? :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 17:26
Jason:

Stop being such a snottly little nitwit.

I'm not thru hiking this year, get it?

And unlike you, I haven't told or written anyone describing myself as a thru-hiker, either.

Therefore, I can go anywhere I wish to, by foot or by car. Unlike you, I acknowledge I'm not thru hiking and don't feel the need to lie or pretend about what I'm doing.

Your last post makes you look sad and desperate, Jason.

Give it a rest.

Oh, and by the way, along with all the folks praising Osprey and their customer service, has anyone seen anything NEGATIVE here about the company or their representatives?

Anybody but Jason seem to have a problem with this company?

Nope. Didn't think so.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 17:31
I like the whole troll name calling thing. Calling himself a thru-hiker and we are the trolls. Please! :rolleyes:

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:36
Jason:

Stop being such a snottly little nitwit.

I'm not thru hiking this year, get it?

And unlike you, I haven't told or written anyone describing myself as a thru-hiker, either.

Therefore, I can go anywhere I wish to, by foot or by car. Unlike you, I acknowledge I'm not thru hiking and don't feel the need to lie or pretend about what I'm doing.

Your last post makes you look sad and desperate, Jason.

Give it a rest.

Oh, and by the way, along with all the folks praising Osprey and their customer service, has anyone seen anything NEGATIVE here about the company or their representatives?

Anybody but Jason seem to have a problem with this company?

Nope. Didn't think so.

Jack,
You should freshen up on your knowledge and check the definition of a thru-hiker. It is not until the completion of a thru-hike you are a "thru-hiker, so as I said I suppose that everyone in the process of a hike is also a liar. I'm in good company. It's no wonder people talk so bad of you, and to think that I have defended you......:o

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 17:41
Jack,
You should freshen up on your knowledge and check the definition of a thru-hiker. It is not until the completion of a thru-hike you are a "thru-hiker, so as I said I suppose that everyone in the process of a hike is also a liar. I'm in good company. It's no wonder people talk so bad of you, and to think that I have defended you......:o

Wow. You might want to cut back on the smoke dude. You are way off on so many things. I'll defer to Jack though.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 17:44
Jason, isn't it a burden being such a sad, bitter little man?

Let the record show that this thread is full of folks who have nothing but good things to say about Osprey Packs and the fine men and women who service Osprey products and respond to customer problems.

Andlet therecord show that on the other side we have....... one lonely guy.

Oh and Jason, if you want to presume to lecture me about the Trail, I respectfully suggest that you hike more than a few hundred miles of it first.
I know a three-legged beagle with more miles than you, son. And he whines a lot less, too. :D

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:49
Jason, isn't it a burden being such a sad, bitter little man?

Let the record show that this thread is full of folks who have nothing but good things to say about Osprey Packs and the fine men and women who service Osprey products and respond to customer problems.

Andlet therecord show that on the other side we have....... one lonely guy.

Oh and Jason, if you want to presume to lecture me about the Trail, I respectfully suggest that you hike more than a few hundred miles of it first.
I know a three-legged beagle with more miles than you, son. And he whines a lot less, too. :D
I am done with you for today. I think that I've accomplished what I set out to do. A note to you, you don't have to hike exclusively on the AT to hike my friend. HAve a good evening.:banana

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 17:54
You accomplished what you set out to do?

You mean all this time, you INTENDED to make yourself look like a spoiled, petulant child?

Well, rejoice in your accomplishment, son, because you succeeded magnificently. Hearty congratulations on your accomplishment! :D

Oh, and while Jason is on hiatus, anyone else have a story about Osprey and their product service department? I'd be curious to hear about it.

ed bell
06-21-2008, 18:04
So I have an Osprey Aether 70. The problem is that I am between sizes. I need a medium pack with a small hip belt though I didn't realize how bad it was until hiking a bit. At Trail Days I talked to the rep about this. He said that it would be no problem and said they would switch out the pack and keep the hip belt the same. I was not expecting them to do this at all. He also said that there was no rush, that they would be there through Sunday afternoon. Of course when Sunday came around they were gone. As many of you know I have back issues and the suspension on this pack helps me tremendously so this disappointed me greatly. So I sent them an email, with no response, and another, and another. I haven't so much as gotten an email saying that they can't help me. I wonder if Osprey is really owned by North Face? Is that their excuse for poor customer service?:-?

Here is the eamil. You tell me?:

To Whom it may concern,
I am in the middle of a thru-hike of the AT and am having problems with my pack. The problem is that I have a small pack and should have been put in a medium with a small hip belt. I talked to your reps at Trail Days. The first guy said that it would be no problem to swap them. When I went back the new guy who was there told me that he couldn't do that and I would need to come back and talk to the first guy on Sunday. Not to mention that he was very unfriendly and acted as if I were bothering him.? When I went back on Sunday Osprey was packed up and gone. This very much disappointed me. My fiance and I both purchased packs from you before our hike began. I feel it is a shame that we spent that kind of money and I am not able to use the pack. I have back problems and the suspension is good for me. Hiking is the only exercise that I am allowed to do. Right now I have sent my pack home and am using a ULA. I am really hoping that I will be able to swap the
pack like I was told origionally.

Thanks,
Jason

I have lots of close friends who work at a real fine local outfitter in my area. I understand and can empathize with the fact that your original purchase turned out to be improperly fitted. It happens a lot since its tough to get it right without experiencing the real conditions day in, day out. There are a couple of questions I have before I advise you what to do next.

1) Where did you purchase the pack?

2) Osprey dealer's employees are trained by the manufacturer to size the packs correctly. While I'm aware of the fact that on any given day at any outfitter there may not be a fully trained employee to help, a high dollar purchase like a top of the line backpack should not be a rush job. How much time did you spend getting fitted?

Gear manufacturers will often go above and beyond the call of duty to make things right. With all due respect, the details of the original post coupled with your e-mail indicate to me that there were many other ways you could have gone about receiving help from Osprey. Let me know the answer to my 2 questions and I'll try to help.

Heater
06-21-2008, 18:32
Well, it appears that we have a pack of Ankle biting Chihuahuas.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 18:32
What a good letter, Ed.

I'm also sure that if Jason calls the free number I provided him with around ninety posts ago, the customer service department will be happy to help him as well.

The Osprey folks really do have a great reputation for customer service and I hope he finds this out by calling them on Manday morning.

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 18:40
The Osprey folks really do have a great reputation for customer service and I hope he finds this out by calling them on Manday morning.

Oh come now...Manday morning? :rolleyes: :D

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 18:42
J M J .... Sox are down by 6.....rally caps...

MOWGLI
06-21-2008, 18:46
Sox are down by 6.....

Best news in this whole stinkin' thread.

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 18:58
Nah. The damned Yankees just lost, six zip. Now THERE's a daybrightener, Mowgli. :D

KarenM982
06-21-2008, 19:05
I had a great experience with the folks at Osprey. I had an Aura 65, but the hipbelt was a size medium and was a bit too big for me (I really needed a small). I got this pack as a gift from my parents from an outfitter in CT. I emailed Osprey asking about the Aura and if there were interchangable parts so that I could switch out the medium hipbelt for a smaller one. I heard back from Osprey within a couple hours, saying that unfortunately you can't swap out components with the Aura. We had a lot of back and forth emails, maybe 6 or so in one day, and the guy even offered to try to switch the Aura for the Ariel for me (since the Ariel has interchangable parts), but ultimately was not allowed to do so (they could have given me a different sized Aura but not switch to a different size model).

Long story short, I was very impressed with their willingness to help me find a pack that fit and they basically did everything they could.

Anyways, after those fast back and forth emails in one day, I wrote another one with a couple more questions, but didnt hear back for a couple days. When I finally heard back, the rep apologized saying everyone from customer service was gone for a few days at a convention somewhere and couldnt respond to any emails.

Maybe this is why they havent gotten back to you...I would just call if I were you.

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 19:18
Nah. The damned Yankees just lost, six zip. Now THERE's a daybrightener, Mowgli. :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Sarcasm alert!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just like a New Englander to not care if their team won, so long as the Evil Empire lost.

\sarcasm

rafe
06-21-2008, 19:43
Oh, and while Jason is on hiatus, anyone else have a story about Osprey and their product service department? I'd be curious to hear about it.

Yeah, sure ya would jack. Grow up already. I really shouldn't care, but I am truly embarrassed for you.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 19:49
I have lots of close friends who work at a real fine local outfitter in my area. I understand and can empathize with the fact that your original purchase turned out to be improperly fitted. It happens a lot since its tough to get it right without experiencing the real conditions day in, day out. There are a couple of questions I have before I advise you what to do next.

1) Where did you purchase the pack?

2) Osprey dealer's employees are trained by the manufacturer to size the packs correctly. While I'm aware of the fact that on any given day at any outfitter there may not be a fully trained employee to help, a high dollar purchase like a top of the line backpack should not be a rush job. How much time did you spend getting fitted?

Gear manufacturers will often go above and beyond the call of duty to make things right. With all due respect, the details of the original post coupled with your e-mail indicate to me that there were many other ways you could have gone about receiving help from Osprey. Let me know the answer to my 2 questions and I'll try to help.

First, thank you for a real answer.

1. I got it from a local outfitter.

2. I took some time picking it out. It was after I spent some time in it is when I realized it wasn't right. I knew that I was in between sizes when I bought it. At the time it felt better than the medium.

Whatever suggestions that you have would be great!

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 19:50
Yeah, sure ya would jack. Grow up already. I really shouldn't care, but I am truly embarrassed for you.

So am I!:D

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 19:51
I had a great experience with the folks at Osprey. I had an Aura 65, but the hipbelt was a size medium and was a bit too big for me (I really needed a small). I got this pack as a gift from my parents from an outfitter in CT. I emailed Osprey asking about the Aura and if there were interchangable parts so that I could switch out the medium hipbelt for a smaller one. I heard back from Osprey within a couple hours, saying that unfortunately you can't swap out components with the Aura. We had a lot of back and forth emails, maybe 6 or so in one day, and the guy even offered to try to switch the Aura for the Ariel for me (since the Ariel has interchangable parts), but ultimately was not allowed to do so (they could have given me a different sized Aura but not switch to a different size model).

Long story short, I was very impressed with their willingness to help me find a pack that fit and they basically did everything they could.

Anyways, after those fast back and forth emails in one day, I wrote another one with a couple more questions, but didnt hear back for a couple days. When I finally heard back, the rep apologized saying everyone from customer service was gone for a few days at a convention somewhere and couldnt respond to any emails.

Maybe this is why they havent gotten back to you...I would just call if I were you.

Thank you Karen! I plan on trying to call. I guess when you aren't home much you get used to doing things online.:)

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 20:21
Jesus, Jason, lighten the f*** up.

People are trying to help you, OK? The advice you're finally thinking of taking now (like being polite and calling the company) was suggested to you on the 5th post of this thread. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Terrapin, thanx for chiming in. He's still peevish from getting whacked around like a tetherball on another thread, so he feels the need to jump on me here. Touche, pal, very gutsy. You got anything of value to contribute here other than snide cracks about me? Gee, didn't think so.

Jason: Call Osprey Monday morning, I'm sure your problems will be over.

wacbzz
06-21-2008, 20:55
Thanks for the look.

tripp
06-21-2008, 22:16
Osprey flew away?... I think this thread has flown away...

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 22:22
Nice job. I just saved the pic for future reference, so feel free to remove it. :)

Jack, go easy on the ... um, challenged ones. The sensible types see right through them.

Terappin, keep it up. Every snide remark from you is all the more telling. :)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 22:24
Yep, you caught me. I can walk with 20lbs on my back.

Dude, it's a little creepy to save another guy's picture "for future reference".?

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 22:28
Yep, you caught me. I can walk with 20lbs on my back.

Dude, it's a little creepy to save another guy's picture "for future reference".?

Easy, fella. Don't get excited. I ain't the Brokeback Mtn. type. :)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 22:30
It was enough to make me remove the pics of me and my lady. Good night and good luck.

wacbzz
06-21-2008, 22:45
Ok-so now I can't figure out how to edit my post with the picture...?? Anyone?

Jack Tarlin
06-21-2008, 22:47
Hmmmm......for a guy who's allegedly in such constant pain that he hasn't been able to work in untold months, you look pretty spry. :D

Mike.C
06-21-2008, 22:57

I think one of the reasons it has not been legalized is that it would be difficult to regulate and tax. It is not like alcohol which takes special equipment and a sterile environment. Ask any home-brewer it is allot of effort.

But marijuana is organic and can grow easily in a multitude of environments. If they could find a way to make some real money off it I am sure it would have been explored by now.

wacbzz
06-21-2008, 23:04
I hate to reply to my own post but here it goes...:)

At least something good will come out of this thread. I just learned that in order to edit a post/upload a real avatar/etc I needed to make a donation.

Soooo....out went my money.:sun Now on to my avatar:banana

Heater
06-22-2008, 00:26

...It was after I spent some time in it

Well, see... there's your problem. You are not supposed to get in it.

ed bell
06-22-2008, 00:46

1. I got it from a local outfitter.

2. I took some time picking it out. It was after I spent some time in it is when I realized it wasn't right. I knew that I was in between sizes when I bought it. At the time it felt better than the medium.

Whatever suggestions that you have would be great!

Ok, calling Osprey is great advice, of course. The main reason for my questions are in relation to what you say when you call. As someone said earlier, "this guy", the "next guy" and such does not help. If you bought the pack from a dealer and the fitting was not done correctly, then you should be entitled to some attention. Be prepared to identify the place you purchased the pack from and let Osprey know that you did not receive proper fitting when you were buying your pack. Tell them about the contact in Damascus without focusing on the missed contact on Sunday. The fact that you did not connect with the reps on Sunday was not due to the fact that they ran out of town to avoid dealing with you. Are you near your local outfitter? Have you spoken with anyone else about this? Springer to Damascus is a long haul. You must have known that the pack has been wrong for a while.

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 08:23
Hmmmm......for a guy who's allegedly in such constant pain that he hasn't been able to work in untold months, you look pretty spry. :D

I have days where I am happy and do silly things.

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 08:24
Ok, calling Osprey is great advice, of course. The main reason for my questions are in relation to what you say when you call. As someone said earlier, "this guy", the "next guy" and such does not help. If you bought the pack from a dealer and the fitting was not done correctly, then you should be entitled to some attention. Be prepared to identify the place you purchased the pack from and let Osprey know that you did not receive proper fitting when you were buying your pack. Tell them about the contact in Damascus without focusing on the missed contact on Sunday. The fact that you did not connect with the reps on Sunday was not due to the fact that they ran out of town to avoid dealing with you. Are you near your local outfitter? Have you spoken with anyone else about this? Springer to Damascus is a long haul. You must have known that the pack has been wrong for a while.
Yeah, I would say that by Neal's I knew that it wasn't fitting right. Thanks for your help.

mudhead
06-22-2008, 09:30
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Sarcasm alert!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just like a New Englander to not care if their team won, so long as the Evil Empire lost.

\sarcasm

Guilty as charged.

The further north you get, the more we bite our tounges, too.

I wish I could get a clip of a local humor song, Mr. Mann!

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 10:03
Interesting read this morning with coffee and a bagel.

Mr. Tarlin, while I am not a fan of Jason's (as obvious in my other posts), your attack of him took me by surprise. Certainly a man of your reputation and accomplishment is above such diatribe.

Or, perhaps, as is becoming increasingly obvious to those who read your posts, your arrogance and conceit has blinded you to the point where you feel as though the less experienced on the trail are unworthy of your kindness and consideration.

Hiking involves a learning curve. Or perhaps you were born knowing everything there was to know about it?

Jason was merely voicing his dissatisfaction with his experience at Trail Days regarding an Osprey rep. Whether his issues weren't resolved due to his actions or another's, I fail to see how his original post could have instigated such a venomous response.

Sir, you dissapoint me. Next thing I hear, you'll be voting for McCain.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 10:26
Oh, please.

A few minutes after the posted, Musicwoman, I suggest he call them on their toll-free line and they'd be glad to help him out.

He should have done this weeks ago and all his problems would have been solved. (Of course, he shouldn't have purchased a pack that he KNEW didn't fit right, but let's not go there right now).

He posted here and started this thread for two very simple reasons, Musicwoman: To make himself feel better, and to make the company look bad, period.

Also, in light of the near-universal accounts we've had here about Osprey's comittment to customer service (as opposed to exactly ONE negative posting about it), I'm inclined to think that Jason's attitude here might have something to do with the problem. I mean, gee whiz, how come he seems to be the ONLY person we've heard from with a beef with Osprey's customer service department?

But be that as it may, this can all be resolved with one phone call, and I hope that's what happens.

As to your problem with my postings, well I don't know what to say. Over the past few years, I like to think that some of my several thousand posts have proven useful to people, but you are of course, welcome to your own opinion.

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 10:36
Oh, please.

A few minutes after the posted, Musicwoman, I suggest he call them on their toll-free line and they'd be glad to help him out.

He should have done this weeks ago and all his problems would have been solved. (Of course, he shouldn't have purchased a pack that he KNEW didn't fit right, but let's not go there right now).

He posted here and started this thread for two very simple reasons, Musicwoman: To make himself feel better, and to make the company look bad, period.

Also, in light of the near-universal accounts we've had here about Osprey's comittment to customer service (as opposed to exactly ONE negative posting about it), I'm inclined to think that Jason's attitude here might have something to do with the problem. I mean, gee whiz, how come he seems to be the ONLY person we've heard from with a beef with Osprey's customer service department?

But be that as it may, this can all be resolved with one phone call, and I hope that's what happens.

As to your problem with my postings, well I don't know what to say. Over the past few years, I like to think that some of my several thousand posts have proven useful to people, but you are of course, welcome to your own opinion.

Exactly my point Mr. Tarlin. With all of your helpful postings here over the last few years, I fail to see why Jason's issue would raise such ire with you. Certainly you should be above such rantings? It seems you assumed an awful lot about his motives in your original response. Is there something you know that I don't about Jason to lead you to believe the worst of him?

Like you said, just my opinion.

By the way, was in Hanover about 3 months ago to visit a friend there. I won't name her but she's a fantastic writer and one of her books is currently being made into a movie.

Gorgeous area.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 10:45
Musicwoman:

Whatever I may have assumed about his motives from his first post has only been confirmed by his subsequent ones.

And you still haven't commented on the curious fact that he seems to be the ONLY one here with anything bad to say about the company or their service department. Why is THAT, I wonder?

Oh, and my first post to Jason was hardly a lengthy rant. My criticism was pretty much limited to one sentence. I said that the tone of his original complaint letter was whiny, bitchy, and childish.

And in truth, in light of his subsequent postings, I see no need to alter my original opinion.

There was nothing, and I mean NOTHING positive about his original post. It was done to make himself feel better, and was done in the hopes of making the Osprey folks look bad. Other than that, it served no purpose whatsoever. It certainly didn't help Jason resolve his problem.

That can be done with one quick phone call tomorrow morning, which is what he should have done weeks ago, instead of coming here to throw a tantrum and malign the good name of one of the best gear companies in existence.

I think that about covers it for now.

Tin Man
06-22-2008, 10:53
Jason is a bit naive on how the world works. His rantings about a vendor leaving trail days a day early as if they were trying to avoid him are way off base as well as his expectations that every email is read and answered. If there is any issue with Osprey's customer service, it is they either need to turn off their customer service email or staff it accordingly. This is a common problem for many companies and is hardly a reason to berate a company. Jason's responses to several suggestions are what escalated that which followed, not the other way around.

OregonHiker
06-22-2008, 11:05
Interesting read this morning with coffee and a bagel.

Mr. Tarlin, while I am not a fan of Jason's (as obvious in my other posts), your attack of him took me by surprise. Certainly a man of your reputation and accomplishment is above such diatribe.

Or, perhaps, as is becoming increasingly obvious to those who read your posts, your arrogance and conceit has blinded you to the point where you feel as though the less experienced on the trail are unworthy of your kindness and consideration.

Hiking involves a learning curve. Or perhaps you were born knowing everything there was to know about it?

Jason was merely voicing his dissatisfaction with his experience at Trail Days regarding an Osprey rep. Whether his issues weren't resolved due to his actions or another's, I fail to see how his original post could have instigated such a venomous response.

Sir, you dissapoint me. Next thing I hear, you'll be voting for McCain.

Wow...you sure pegged Tarlin. A bitter little man who's only success in life is putting one foot in front of the other as he hikes from computer to computer to spill his bile.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 11:08
Hey, Oregon:

Are you aware of how many of your recent posts are about me?

Maybe it's YOU who needs to get a life, pal.

Haven't you anything to contribute here but comments about me?

Oh, and re. your latest post: Do you ever talk to people like that in person, or only anonymously on the computer?

Just curious. :rolleyes:

rafe
06-22-2008, 11:09
Wow...you sure pegged Tarlin. A bitter little man who's only success in life is putting one foot in front of the other as he hikes from computer to computer to spill his bile.

LOL, good one. ;)

OregonHiker
06-22-2008, 11:10
Hey, Oregon:

Are you aware of how many of your recent posts are about me?

Maybe it's YOU who needs to get a life, pal.

Haven't you anything to contribute here but comments about me?

Oh, and re. your latest post: Do you ever talk to people like that in person, or only anonymously on the computer?

Just curious. :rolleyes:

Back in the box my little marrionette :sun

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 11:17
HA, I guess a few other people have met Jack.:D I returned to Damascus a few weeks ago to rescue a friend's German Shepherd. I wasn't there an hour when I had the pleasure of listening to Jack rant about my comparison to Nazi Germany in a thread. Mind you the woman who I have lived with for about four years now is first generation in the states and very German! I should have known then not to try to be this guy's friend. I guess sometimes my need to befriend everyone kicks me in the A@#.

Music Woman: Thank you. I like when people who don't like me......like me, I think.?:-?

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 11:20
Um, hate to rain on your parade, Jason, but what on earth gave you the idea I wanted you as a friend? :rolleyes:

Lighten up, and get over yourself.

Oh, and glad to see you have new pals like Oregon and Terrapin!

You're welcome to 'em.

Have a nice day.

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 11:22
I'm crying over here man. I hope that the Shenandoah has levees!:)

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 11:23
Maybe if you ever hiked this far you could find out for yourself..... :D

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 11:35
Oh that was good. I have actually had lunch on Maryland Heights. It is pretty there.

rickb
06-22-2008, 11:40
Serous question, please don't take it the wrong way.

Jack, do you get any comps from Osprey or Jet Boil or other companies that you discuss on-line?

RickB

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 11:48
The way that he seems to take up for them one would think so........

rickb
06-22-2008, 11:49
Best not to assume. Jack will give us a straight answer.

wacbzz
06-22-2008, 11:50
By the way, was in Hanover about 3 months ago to visit a friend there. I won't name her but she's a fantastic writer and one of her books is currently being made into a movie.

Just curious...did your friend live/work here in VA while writing books??

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 12:00
Rick (and Jason, too):

*Never anything free from Osprey, tho they've swapped out some of my packs that couldn't be repaired. This is something they do for lots of people, so there was no special treatment there. (Incidentally, this doesn't mean that there was anything wrong with the design of the pack......in one case, I lent my pack to a friend who promptly dropped it off a two-hundred foot cliff. Some things can't be fixed).

*I got to field test both the Jet-Boil and the new Jet Boil accessory pot (the larger one) before they were on the market. I used these in the field, reviewed them, and offered to return them to the manufacturer so they could see what they looked like after extended field use. The manufacturer said not to bother.

Incidentally, letting field testers keep stuff after a test is not unusual, and in any case, Rick, while I may have been "given" something by the Jet-Boil people, I haven't been at great pains to push their stuff. I think it's a great stove, don't let me wrong, but if one does some research, one will see that I've also given frank, detailed criticism of the product as well.

Lastly, if I push Osprey or support the company, I have ample reason to. I've spent time working in nearly all of the A.T.'s best outfitters. I've seen hundreds of hikers with pack problems; I've seen hundreds of hikers that needed new packs; I've fitted hundreds of hikers with new packs, have sold them new packs, and most of all, I've run into these folks later on further down the Trail, and we invariably end up discussing how things worked out for them.

In my experience, the vast majority of men and women long-distance hikers who wear Ospreys are really happy with them, and if there are any problems, people speak glowingly about the help they received from Osprey's Customer Service Department.

Speaking for myself, I wore an Osprey on my seven consecutive thrus (1997-2003) and I still wear one most of the time (tho not at present, oddly enough). Along with Mountain Hardwear (I've had the same tent since 1996), there isn't a gear company I feel better about than Osprey; this is based on observations and discussions with hundreds of folks over the years, as well as my own personal experience using their products.

I hope this answers Rick's question.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 12:01
This thread seems to be getting to the point where it has pretty much served its purpose, if indeed it ever had one.

But before it dies off, let's try and salvage something positive about it:

To avoid experiences like Jason's, a few suggestions:

*Get professionally fitted for a pack by someone who knows what they're
doing, preferably a small, independent outfitter
*Give yourself enough time; don't try and buy a pack in a hour
*Try on different packs to get an idea of how different items fit you
*Load the pack up with weight, preferably not sandbags, etc. Use real gear,
preferably the stuff you plan to travel with
*Don't leave the store with a pack that isn't just right. If you know THEN
that it's the wrong pack, the it isn't going to all of a sudden become the
right one once you're on the Trail
*Companies have free customer service phone lines for a reason. Use them.
And remember, you'll get further with a kind word than an angry complaint.
Nobody likes getting yelled at, especially over something that wasn't
remotely their fault. You always get further with a positive and friendly
attitude. When it comes to Customer Service departments, helping out
customers is their job, but it sure helps if they WANT to help you out, and
feel good about doing so.
*People often express themselves better vocally than they might do in a
letter or E-Mail. So call these people as opposed to writing them
*Complaints or problems are best taken to the proper place, i.e. the store
where you bought the item, or to the Customer Service department of the
particular company. Stating one's case on the Internet may make one feel
better, but at the end of the day, it doesn't do a damn thing about resolving
one's problem.

Lastly, there's this: Nobody is ever forced or compelled to buy a certain piece of gear. If you don't think that something is right for you, then don't buy it, and certainly don't attempt a thru-hike in it. The time to be happy with one's gear decisions is well BEFORE one hits the Trail, and if one becomes unhappy about an item later on, this is very frequently not the fault of the people who made the item in question.

wacbzz
06-22-2008, 12:04
This thread seems to be getting to the point where it has pretty much served its purpose, if indeed it ever had one.

But before it dies off, let's try and salvage something positive about it:

All valid points for sure. I did send in my donation because of this thread. So again, something else positive came forth from this.:)

rickb
06-22-2008, 12:05
It does, thanks Jack.

If I were a manufacturer of a quality product, I would not have missed the opportunity to send you a boat load of stuff to try-- on the odd chance you genuinely liked it well enough to use as a matter of course.

What's wrong with all those marketing people!

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 12:30
Rick (and Jason, too):

*Never anything free from Osprey, tho they've swapped out some of my packs that couldn't be repaired. This is something they do for lots of people, so there was no special treatment there. (Incidentally, this doesn't mean that there was anything wrong with the design of the pack......in one case, I lent my pack to a friend who promptly dropped it off a two-hundred foot cliff. Some things can't be fixed).

*I got to field test both the Jet-Boil and the new Jet Boil accessory pot (the larger one) before they were on the market. I used these in the field, reviewed them, and offered to return them to the manufacturer so they could see what they looked like after extended field use. The manufacturer said not to bother.

Incidentally, letting field testers keep stuff after a test is not unusual, and in any case, Rick, while I may have been "given" something by the Jet-Boil people, I haven't been at great pains to push their stuff. I think it's a great stove, don't let me wrong, but if one does some research, one will see that I've also given frank, detailed criticism of the product as well.

Lastly, if I push Osprey or support the company, I have ample reason to. I've spent time working in nearly all of the A.T.'s best outfitters. I've seen hundreds of hikers with pack problems; I've seen hundreds of hikers that needed new packs; I've fitted hundreds of hikers with new packs, have sold them new packs, and most of all, I've run into these folks later on further down the Trail, and we invariably end up discussing how things worked out for them.

In my experience, the vast majority of men and women long-distance hikers who wear Ospreys are really happy with them, and if there are any problems, people speak glowingly about the help they received from Osprey's Customer Service Department.

Speaking for myself, I wore an Osprey on my seven consecutive thrus (1997-2003) and I still wear one most of the time (tho not at present, oddly enough). Along with Mountain Hardwear (I've had the same tent since 1996), there isn't a gear company I feel better about than Osprey; this is based on observations and discussions with hundreds of folks over the years, as well as my own personal experience using their products.

I hope this answers Rick's question.
Wow! Had you done this about 150 posts ago this thread would have been simple.:D

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 12:37
I'll test just about anything, Rick, and would be happy to do it, just so the company understands a few things at the outset:

*If I don't like the stuff, they'll hear about it, and in all likelihood, so will
other people.
*Any review I write on their stuff, either for a magazine, the Internet, or
anywhere else, is going to be a brutally honest one.
*Gifting me with stuff isn't going to score any points. I've been given all
sorts of stuff over the years, and the vast majority of it has been given
away because I didn't want it or would never use it.
*If I give a product or a company a good review, it's because I believe the
good review has been earned, period. And if I DON'T think they've earned a
good review, they're not about to get one.

I honestly believe that the single best advertisement for outdoor gear is for their stuff to be used successfully in the field, and for their stuff to be SEEN used successfully by other people. At the end of the day, I'm not sure reviews in magazines or elsewhere really matters that much. If I'm feeling positive about a certain company or a certain item, it's because I've seen it happily used by others; or I've used it myself and have been happy with it, or both. But the fact that a company gave me something to try out does NOT guarantee that they're going to like what I have to say about it later.

And maybe this is why I haven't heard from a lot of folks. :rolleyes:

rafe
06-22-2008, 13:53
Wow! Had you done this about 150 posts ago this thread would have been simple.:D

Jason, having known the Jack/Osprey thing, I knew this thread was going to be a train wreck from the very first post (unless perchance Jack had been on the trail and away from an Internet connection.) Unless you'd been following WB for some time, you couldn't have known.

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 14:13
He sure is passionate.:)

OregonHiker
06-22-2008, 14:14
Jason, having known the Jack/Osprey thing, I knew this thread was going to be a train wreck from the very first post (unless perchance Jack had been on the trail and away from an Internet connection.) Unless you'd been following WB for some time, you couldn't have known.

Another factor is Tarlin's recent fondness for being the WB mutt as he likes to hump Jason's leg. ;)

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 15:55
I'll let your posts speak for themselves, Oregon.

You must be very proud of them and what they contribute here.

Care to ever put yourrealname on them?

Gee, didn't think so. :rolleyes:

And if you think you help or elevate Jason's argument with your recent posts, you're mistaken. Right now, you're just another anonymous troll.

If Jason had any character, he would tell you to give it a rest. Your posts sure don't help him any, and only dishonor yourself.

Have fun.

rafe
06-22-2008, 16:05
Care to ever put yourrealname on them?

Jack, you've made this bogus point in many a flame-fest. You did it to me even though you were quite wrong about that.

Fact is, a huge percentage, probably 99%, of WB posters do so anonymously. So that accusation really goes nowhere and proves nothing. Well, actually it says a thing or two about you.

As if using your real name somehow granted you the right to be... oh, never mind.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 16:17
All I'm saying, Terrapin, is that the Internet tends to make people say things they wouldn't say if they had to put their real names on them,or if they actually had to say such things to someone's face......which, needless to say, they wouldn't have the nerve to do.

People tend to bluster, cuss, and talk tough when they use anonymity.

Um, like you and your pal Oregon, for example. Your recent posts are really good examples of this nutlessness.

And your "99%" figure means nothing, Terrapin, because most people here, when they post anonymously, don't say gutless douche things when they post, so therefore, their anonymoty isn't an issue or aproblem.

There is that last per cent however..... :D

rafe
06-22-2008, 16:26
And your "99%" figure means nothing, Terrapin, because most people here, when they post anonymously, don't say gutless douche things when they post, so therefore, their anonymoty isn't an issue or aproblem.

No, Jack. You chose to use her anonymity as a mode of attack on OregonHiker, and referred to her as a troll. And speaking of rudeness and potty mouth, you certainly can give as good as you get. You're back on ignore following this post, so have at it, knock yourself out.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 16:36
Um, Terrapin, until your last post, I didn't even realize that Oregon was a "her".

That's what anonymity will get you. :rolleyes:

And as for threats to put me on ignore, well, thanks. Ya know, Terr, last time you were catching too much flak here,you just ran away and disappeared for a few months. Ya know what? You werewn't exactly univerasally missed.

Feel free to do this again, that we we can ALL ignore you.

And, no Terr,you're missing the point. Regardless of whatever her plumbing may be, her recent posts are childish, gutter level, and worthless. (And please note, do a little research.....I've never attacked O.H. till she elected to attack me......which is basically all she's done on this website for awhile. Tell your friend she needs a new hobby).

That you see fit to defend her posts says a world about you.

No go back under your rock, and stop threatening to put people on ignore.

Goodl Lord,man, if you put this whole website on "ignore," who do you really think would care? :D

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 16:49
Ha, this is great. Can we take this to NPR?

I won't ignore anyone and be a friend to everyone, even you Jack. I think that you could use one now.;) Yours seem to have vanished.........

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 16:50
OK everyone. Time to chill and find something more productive to do.

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 16:51
For shame.........for shame. :mad:

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 16:57
What shame?

All I said was that people say stuff here that they'd never in ten thousand years say to someone's face.

Does anyone here really dispute this?

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 17:08
What shame?

All I said was that people say stuff here that they'd never in ten thousand years say to someone's face.

Does anyone here really dispute this?

Did anyone say "shame on Jack?" I think this whole thread is shameful. Of course, I'm still using my 15 yr old CampTrails pack. I guess that's 5lbs shameful. :cool:

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:10
Not shameful at all. My tent is 12 years old, is going strong, and weighs a ton. If your pack works for you, who cares what it weighs or what other people might think?

Happy hiking.

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 17:17
Not shameful at all. My tent is 12 years old, is going strong, and weighs a ton. If your pack works for you, who cares what it weighs or what other people might think?

Happy hiking.

Well, my 5lb pack and my 4 lb tent are the same age. We celebrate together....every time I camp.

rafe
06-22-2008, 17:21
Of course, I'm still using my 15 yr old CampTrails pack. I guess that's 5lbs shameful. :cool:

Mine was purchased in 1988 or so and was my #1 pack through 2006. It was a faithful friend. Until last year, every attempt to replace it had failed miserably.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:23
Glad you have at least one friend.......:D

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 17:23
I'm gonna be flying solo with a new Hubba when I get back out. I tryed it out today and it seems a little snug after the 3 man quarterdome.

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 17:25
Glad you have at least one friend.......:D
Look at our join dates. I would hope that you have aquired some friends in that amount of time.:D

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:27
I've got all I need, Jason. Don't trouble yourself.

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 17:27
Look at our join dates. I would hope that you have aquired some friends in that amount of time.:D

Nah, we all think Jack's an ass. But at least we think of him. :D

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:34
Um, Saim, in all truth and honesty.....who gives a fiddler's f*** what you think?

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 17:39
Um, Saim, in all truth and honesty.....who gives a fiddler's f*** what you think?

Nah, you're right. As much as we hold you in regard, no one gives a **** about me. Time to crawl back under my rock......

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 17:47
Under a rock isn't that bad.;)

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:48
We'll take your word on it....... :D

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 17:49
I think this has been milked for all its worth guys, no?

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:51
Read the first line of Post #142.

Couldn't agree with you more.

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 17:54
No no no, didn't someone call us weirdos? Gotta get on that.....

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 17:59
Oh, we can get a few more posts out of it, surely!

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 18:02
Nah. Just call them tomorrow and tell us what happens. They'll prove very nice on the phone,they'll help you solve your problem, and that should be the end of it.

Of course, it would have helped if you hadn't bought a pack that you admit didn't fit right......nah, let's not go there, enoug is enough. :D

Seriously, let us know what happens.

rafe
06-22-2008, 18:02
Oh, we can get a few more posts out of it, surely!

I'm sure, at least till Jack finishes the bottle.

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 18:04
There is a bottom?:-)

rickb
06-22-2008, 18:05
That's low and uncalled for, but the next post could be interesting...

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 18:07
On that note I'm done. Time for dinner and a drink of my own. I'm calling them in the morning.

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 18:08
I'm not quite at the bottom of my bottle either....yeah but no one cares....****.

rickb
06-22-2008, 18:11
Welcome to the list Saimiyoji!

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, and be sure to check out the articles page.

Also, if you find that you like Whiteblaze.net, you may wish to become a contributing member.

Cheers.

RickB

Skidsteer
06-22-2008, 18:15
Good grief.