PDA

View Full Version : Mailing Esbit fuel tablets

papa john
02-18-2004, 15:53
I don't think there is a restriction on mailing Esbit tablets.

papa john
02-18-2004, 16:14
Paper is flammable. People mail that all the time. LOL, but I think that since the tablets are sealed they should be OK. I had mine mailed to me from the supplier.

illininagel
02-18-2004, 16:19
I doubt that you would experience any problems at all shipping the tablets through USPS. The suppliers don't seem to have any issue with shipping them out.

azchipka
02-18-2004, 16:32
Esbit fuel tablets have a huge advantage over other fuels. They can be shipped via standard mail, they can also be taken on the plane with you in your checked bags. I have one bog of esbit fuel in each of my mail drops.

papa john
02-18-2004, 17:54
Plus, have you ever tried to actually light one of those things? They don't exactly burst into flames if you know what I mean!

WalkinHome
02-18-2004, 19:03
traceyyam,

Here is the deal on mailing Esbit (at least it was in 2000). One of the ingredients of Esbit is Hexamethylenetetramine (phew) and according to Appendix A, Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail from Publication 52 (do not assume every postal employee knows about this stuff as they were no help to me in 2000), you may mail Esbit only Parcel Post (Surface Delivery) and it must be marked (on the outside of the package) Surface Mail Only, Consumer Commodity ORM-D. Be advised, depending on the distance, Parcel Post takes longer, average 8-10 days so some prior planning is required. Have a nice hike and be safe. FWIW I had nothing but good experiences with Esbit but in the future, I will be trying alcohol.