PDA

View Full Version : if a shelter is closed

Bear Cables
06-21-2008, 11:50
:-?I'm just curious... when hiking in the Smokies and having reservations for the shelters and campsites...what do you do if the shelter or site is "closed due to bear activity"?

Bearpaw
06-21-2008, 12:00
:-?I'm just curious... when hiking in the Smokies and having reservations for the shelters and campsites...what do you do if the shelter or site is "closed due to bear activity"?

Hope the park staff have darted and moved the bear by the time you file your permit. If they have to close a shelter or site because of a bear, that bear becomes a priority. The area seldom stays closed long.

If you arrive and it is closed, you'll have to shuffle sites a bit. The good news is that there are usually many sites available within a couple of miles of each other.

I'm watching Mt. Collins right now myself. It has been on the "bear warning" list off and on for years, but right now it is just a warning, not a closure.

MOWGLI
06-21-2008, 12:01

Keep walking to the next one, or take a side trail down to a campsite off the AT. Usually you'll know about a closure, because signs are generally posted by the NPS at trail junctions, or at trailheads.

Tennessee Viking
06-21-2008, 15:48
So far Mt Collins is still the only one closed.

Nearly Normal
06-21-2008, 15:55
Sounds like they need to issue a few hunting permit tags every year.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 15:55
Camp in the woods.? I know that is a crazy concept for some people.:)

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 15:59
Camp in the woods.? I know that is a crazy concept for some people.:)

And if that is breaking the rules, don't get your underwear in a knot when you get caught. :)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:07
And if that is breaking the rules, don't get your underwear in a knot when you get caught. :)
What else do you do?

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:11
What else do you do?

W T F? You get caught, pay the fine. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. And all them cliches. If you want change, work the system, don't whine about it. It ain't that hard. :)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:15
Dude, what are you talking about? I am talking about sleeping in a tent... in the woods.?

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:27
Dude, what are you talking about? I am talking about sleeping in a tent... in the woods.?

Sorry Jason. As a thru-hiker, I thought you might be familiar with the rules. In the Smokies, which the discussion is about, it is illegal to camp in the woods. Regulations require to stay in designated areas. So, I wouldn't be promoting illegal activities, but you seem to like breaking the rules. I break the rules sometimes myself, but I am prepared to deal with the consequences and not b*tch about them. How about you?

gungho
06-21-2008, 16:27

Dude, iN CASE YOU ARE NOT AWARE YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO JUST TENT ANYWHERE IN THE SMOKIES. sO, YES IF YOU GET CAUGHT TENTING ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THE SHELTER, YOU WILL HAVE TO FACE THE CONSEQUENCES.:eek:

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:31
Yes, fellas I am aware of the rules. I'm not to fond of the Smokies because of this. If I am tired and the shelter is closed I am going to sleep. Under those circumstances if a ranger was that big of an A#% to give me a ticket then so be it. It might be worth not walking to the next shelter.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:34
Yes, fellas I am aware of the rules. I'm not to fond of the Smokies because of this. If I am tired and the shelter is closed I am going to sleep. Under those circumstances if a ranger was that big of an A#% to give me a ticket then so be it. It might be worth not walking to the next shelter.

Just make sure you are out of sight, camp at dusk, no noise or fire, leave early and you will be fine. That's what I do. :)

Two Speed
06-21-2008, 16:35
Hope that plan includes walking on a bit, because there's usually a reason the shelter's closed.

Just sayin'.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:35
Yep, what he said!

rafe
06-21-2008, 16:36
I'm not personally familiar with the situation -- I haven't heard of shelters closed for this reason.

I understand that "stealth" camping is not allowed in the Smokies. But to answer Gungho (Msg. #12) it's my understanding that tenting in the vicinity of shelters is allowed in case the shelter itself overflows. I mean, what else are you going to do?

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 16:37
W T F? You get caught, pay the fine. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. And all them cliches. If you want change, work the system, don't whine about it. It ain't that hard. :)

Sounds like Jason is willing to face the consequences of this action.

Two Speed
06-21-2008, 16:39
Sounds like Jason is willing to face the consequences of this action.Please note that the ranger may or may not be the only one handing out consequences.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:40
I understand that "stealth" camping is not allowed in the Smokies. But to answer Gungho (Msg. #12) it's my understanding that tenting in the vicinity of shelters is allowed in case the shelter itself overflows. I mean, what else are you going to do?

Absolutely. And playing dumb helps too. "Oh gee, I thought I could make it to the next shelter before dark, but I ran out of light, so I camped here rather than get lost and create a whole rescue situation." ;)

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:42
Can anyone say anal? My god man.

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 16:42
Please note that the ranger may or may not be the only one handing out consequences.

Yogi or Boo Boo? :cool:

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:43
Yogi or Boo Boo? :cool:
That was good. Maybe he's gonna open a can.;)

Two Speed
06-21-2008, 16:43
Yogi or Boo Boo? :cool:Well, ya hope it's a cute cartoon bear. If not there is the potential that it could suck to be you.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:45
Oh no, not a ticket. What man, are they gonna shoot us? Did you get beat up a lot in high school?

saimyoji
06-21-2008, 16:46
That was good. Maybe he's gonna open a can.;)

Can of what?

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 16:47
Well, Woop A$% of course. He just comes across very RED to me.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 16:48
Can anyone say anal? My god man.

Hey, if you are going to tell people to do something illegal, at least help them avoid problems. :)

Oh, and who is the most anal, the one offering friendly advice or the one who keeps responding, the resortin to calling people anal? :D

Litghten up... or should that be light up? :D:D

rafe
06-21-2008, 16:50
Oh no, not a ticket. What man, are they gonna shoot us? Did you get beat up a lot in high school?

Jason, I don't know the situation in SMNP, but it is a National Park. I once got caught stealthing in the WMNF (the Whites.) The ranger/ridge runner was pretty friendly about it, and offered me two choices: 1) be written up, though noting it was a federal offense, and 2) packing up and moving on to the nearest hut. We chose the latter.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 17:00
Jason, I don't know the situation in SMNP, but it is a National Park. I once got caught stealthing in the WMNF (the Whites.) The ranger/ridge runner was pretty friendly about it, and offered me two choices: 1) be written up, though noting it was a federal offense, and 2) packing up and moving on to the nearest hut. We chose the latter.

This is why people need to be careful about what advice they give and what advice they accept. Thanks for sharing.

Jason of the Woods
06-21-2008, 17:02
Actually it is light it up. It is illegal for me to share though.:)

Two Speed
06-21-2008, 17:07
Actually it is light it up. It is illegal for me to share though.:)Well, enjoy. Personally I've made arrangements to go see a movie with a friend so ya'll are going to have to carry on without me.

Tin Man
06-21-2008, 17:17
I have a little league game to watch. Better than any movie. :D

WILLIAM HAYES
06-21-2008, 18:26
not had that happen in all the years I have been hiking the AT