PDA

View Full Version : Need some planning help - Southern VA

10-K
06-21-2008, 13:03
I'm back from hiking Damascus-Atkins - nice hike and I had my first 30+ mile day (31 and change...). I've completed 25% of the trail exactly 6 months to the day of when I started. And, I got to meet Lone Wolf who is a mighty nice guy. ;) So, now I've got to figure out the logistics to do the next section. I'm thinkig Pearisburg is the most logical choice so my July hike will be Pearisburg - Atkins.

My 2 questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend a shuttler in Pearisburg? Bonus points for being able to park my car in a safe place close to the trail at the end of the hike...

2. What, or is, there another town 75-100 miles up the trail from Pearisburg where a shuttle and parking can be arranged?

I'm trying to break my hikes into 75-100 miles each to fit my schedule but as I get further away from my base here in the south I'm going to have to change my strategy and do longer hikes spaced further apart. Which is kind of a drag because I like going hiking every month. ;)

rafe
06-21-2008, 13:11
I'm trying to break my hikes into 75-100 miles each to fit my schedule but as I get further away from my base here in the south I'm going to have to change my strategy and do longer hikes spaced further apart. Which is kind of a drag because I like going hiking every month. ;)

I'm familiar with that issue... One option is to use a bicycle to cover the distance before or after the hike. Though mainly I used that option for shorter hikes, around 35 miles or so.

To answer your earlier question, Cloverdale/Troutville might work out for you, being about 100 miles north of Pearisburg.

Blissful
06-21-2008, 15:13
The outiftter at the Daleville / Troutville interchange (next to the Kroger) shuttles also.

10-K
06-21-2008, 15:19
Does anyone know of any shuttlers in Pearisburg?

rafe
06-21-2008, 15:23
A fine fellow named Maurice Turner works the Roanoke area (he's a trail maintainer for RATC) -- he's listed in the AT shuttle guide. (Find it on the ATC website.) Tell him terrapin says hello... if he goes "Huh," mention Rocky Gap.

10-K
06-21-2008, 15:46
A fine fellow named Maurice Turner works the Roanoke area (he's a trail maintainer for RATC) -- he's listed in the AT shuttle guide. (Find it on the ATC website.) Tell him terrapin says hello... if he goes "Huh," mention Rocky Gap.

Thanks - I've emailed him and the folks at Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg. If anyone else has any first hand experience with shuttles in that area please let me know.

jonesat11
06-28-2008, 20:42
Once you get further up the trail talk to Dale at 540-529-6028 that shuttles Roanoke area. He sounds reasonable.