PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Va. AT 5-7 days in July

clemsonpeirce
06-21-2008, 16:02
I'm looking for an individual or group to backpack with my 17 yr old son for 5-7 days sometime from July 10th-22nd--he's interested in Jefferson National Forest area--obviously would like other teenagers to hike with him, but can't find them! I'd drive him to wherever is necessary.

Christus Cowboy
06-21-2008, 18:32
I've got an 18 year old son who I go backpacking with and I live in the area. I'm not sure if those days work for me but has your son been backpacking before or would this be his first time out?

clemsonpeirce
06-21-2008, 18:52
He hasn't overnight backpacked before, but is in terrific shape (top xc runner at school etc.) and spent one summer canoeing for 3 weeks in Canada, which involved some backpacking. He has been reading Bill Bryson books, hence the interest.

Christus Cowboy
06-21-2008, 21:12
Well it would appear that he could handle a backpacking trip by what you describe of him. I'm not sure I could work out the exact days but let me tell you what I've got and see if it would still be workable.

I live in East Tennessee (near Kinsport) which is right on the Virginia border....I'm a Sunday School teacher for 11th grade boys at Tri-Cities Baptist Church in Gray, TN and a program affliate at the Tennessee Eastman Hiking & Canoeing Club. I've taken some of my boys from my church that are his age on several backpacking trips ranging from 25 to 50 mile trips. There are lots of trails to go on and there are several national forests in western North Carolina and East Tennessee that are even closer to you than Jefferson National Forest. That said I have backpacks, tents, and the basic equipment needed so all he would need is his clothes and a few bucks for food.

I'm generally careful about who I take in the backcountry with me because to be honest, the wilderness can be a very unforgiving place for stupid teenagers but for a young man who has the desire and wants to grow into manhood, backcountry is great way to accomplish that goal. If I was to consider taking him I would need to have some reasonble assurance that he is willing to follow my leadership and expectations. If he has a problem with authority it would probably be best that you keep him home.... When does he start back to school?

clemsonpeirce
06-22-2008, 13:58
This sounds promising. He would be available 8-22 July (I"m taking him to look at colleges the first week of July, and he's going to a meteorology workshop the last week of July. Then we'll have our 2 week family vacation early Aug, and then he goes back to school mid-Aug.). Re leadership and responsibility: he has just returned from Boy's State, which is a one week program in Columbia, sponsored by the American Legion. He was one of 4 boys chosen for this from his school, based on their maturity, academics and leadership qualities. He had a blast.

If this works, I'd like to drive him to meet you, probably on a weekend (I actually work in Atlanta but live in Clemson and my life is quite complicated). Forgive my geography--Are there portions of the AT near you? He's quite fixed on a particular stretch of SW Va., and the AT, but maybe a NC or TN stretch of the AT would work. I think for introductory backpacking, a group of boys headed by an adult sounds ideal, and you sound like you enjoy working with boys this age. We don't have a backpack for him yet (well, I do have my 35 yr old Kelty from my Outward Bound days)--but he has a stove and water purifier, and lots of well studied maps. I'd need to get him boots.

Thanks for staying in touch.
Susan (Micah's mother)

Fannypack
06-22-2008, 14:24
<clip> I'd need to get him boots.

Thanks for staying in touch.
Susan (Micah's mother)

many hikers use "running" shoes... e.g., i use New Balance 806s or 807s.... maybe u could spare the expense of the boots and the Kelty pack will probably work fine for his 1st hike...

Load it and hike around the neighborhood to check it out before coming on trail... u highly suggest that he walk 10 to 15 miles on roads in your neighborhood or trails or track on successive days checking for pack fit/comfort as well as hot spots on feet...

of course, road walking is very hard on your feet but that is a good thing as it prepares u for the hike..

good luck....

finally, suggest that he post his questions here... I am sure he will have some....</clip>

Christus Cowboy
06-23-2008, 11:53
Miss Susan,

It would appear to me that he is well on his way in getting his stuff together but I could cover him on the backpack, water bottles, tent, sleeping bag, etc.... I believe he's made some posts on another thread saying he was wanting to do 25-30 mile days. While such mileage is doable, it is generally not sustainable on many segments on the AT. Additionally, that kind of mileage leaves little room for enjoying a more leisurely pace. For 45 years of age, I'm in great shape but running a marathon in the woods with a 40lb pack is not my idea of backpacking. Generally when I take teenage boys out on the trail I generally try to pace them at an average of 8 to 10 miles a day so they can enjoy one another's company and take pictures along the way. After all there are many lessons one can learn on the trail and many of these lessons comes from one's interactions with other..... You may want to check with him and see if he would be good with that. I would certainly wouldn't want his first experience backpacking to be "frustratingly slow" where you had to drive him up this way and then get disappointed.

There are many portions of the AT near me... Both in SW Virginia, East TN, as well as in Western NC. In fact over the Memorial Day week I took three teenage boys his age on a 4 day/3 night 48 mile section of the AT from Carver's Gap NC to Hampton TN. I'm not opposed to doing a 70 mile stretch in SW VA at some point but getting the time off work is sometimes difficult and I certainly couldn't get the time off within the time contraints that you need. I've looked at my schedule and I may be able to swing 3 day / 2 night trip from July 25 to 27th. I may be able to go from July 24 to 26 but again I would have to check on this.

As far as the trail is concerned for first time teenage boys, I like to take them on the Ridge Tail in Cumberland Gap, VA. This trail is in the southwest corner of Virginia and skirts the Virginia / Kentucky border. I've done that entire trail 5 times, I know Park Rangers and alot of the park staff out there. Here's a link from an individual who has done this trail and posted some information on it:

http://www.kywilderness.com/tr/ridgetrail/ridgetrail.htm

This may not be exactly what he's looking for but the trail is in the SW Virginia area, is in close proximity of my place and could be done at the pace I'm generally comfortable with and be within the time constraints that I have on my end. The total mileage would probably be in the 25 mile range.... An addition thing to keep in mind, this all would be contingent on getting the backcountry permits, etc........ Does you boy have a "MySpace"?

clemsonpeirce
06-23-2008, 12:34
This would be great, except the timing is wrong, unfortunately. He needs to be on a plane to Wisc. on July 26th. He is on Facebook--I'll check with him. He's not the kid posting messages about vast daily distances! That's someone else. Thanks for all your info--this really does sound perfect, except for the timing. I'll check out the website you included and send it on to him. He's still looking for local friends to go with, without much success--maybe his old boy scout troop would be a source.

thanks again--Maybe something might work out in the fall.

Regards,
Susan

Christus Cowboy
06-23-2008, 13:43
This would be great, except the timing is wrong, unfortunately. He needs to be on a plane to Wisc. on July 26th. He is on Facebook--I'll check with him. He's not the kid posting messages about vast daily distances! That's someone else. Thanks for all your info--this really does sound perfect, except for the timing. I'll check out the website you included and send it on to him. He's still looking for local friends to go with, without much success--maybe his old boy scout troop would be a source.

thanks again--Maybe something might work out in the fall.

Regards,
Susan

Well Miss Susan.... let me know if anything changes I would be glad to take him with us sometime... If he has any questions don't hesitate to let me know.