PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Smugglers Notch

Landshark
06-21-2008, 19:10
Anyone familiar with the LT parking lot at Smugglers Notch? Is it safe to leave a car overnight there? I know there are several areas that are notorious for vandalism, and I don't know whether that's one of them.

Tinker
06-21-2008, 21:00
The more remote the trailhead is, the more you're likely to have problems. The Notch is pretty remote, but when I section hiked the LT in the 90s, I parked there for four days without any problems. Back then I had an 80s VW diesel Rabbit. I didn't have to worry about it being stolen. :p

angewrite
06-21-2008, 21:12
You shouldn't have a problem parking in the Notch. If possible, try parking in one of the large parking areas. There is one on the Stowe side about a 3/4 of a mile before you get to the LT crossing.

Landshark
06-23-2008, 12:51
Thanks for the input! Another member of our group checked with the green mountain club, and from what I've heard they advised against it in that area. I am not aware of any specific statistics, though. Thanks guys! Landshark

NorthCountryWoods
06-23-2008, 19:35
Thanks for the input! Another member of our group checked with the green mountain club, and from what I've heard they advised against it in that area. I am not aware of any specific statistics, though. Thanks guys! Landshark

No surprise....the GMC advise against it everywhere.

The smugs notch road is busier than others and probably safer than some of the real backwoods ones. Locals tend to target out of state plates more than green ones tho.

Askus3
06-24-2008, 20:36
On the south end of the stretch starting at Smugglers Notch (next road crossing south). We left three cars out for one night, Monday night, June 16. This is where the LT crosses Bolton Notch Road and there is only road shoulder parking. We encountered no problem. Bolton Notch Road is a narrow but well maintained gravel/mud road running north from US 2 about a mile east of Jonesville.

The Solemates
06-25-2008, 13:45
We've parked in the Notch for 2 nights and had no problems.