PDA

View Full Version : gossamer gear SUCKS

mikeinFHAZ
06-22-2008, 15:14
I purchased a Miniposa on the 14th of May this year. After looking it over and playing w/ it I decided it wasnt going to work for me. Following the "return policy" guidelines, I sent the unused pack back to the Austin, TX warehouse within the 30 day return period. Via Priority mail on the 7th of June. So, after a week and no word from GG about my order status, I start one of several emails that are replied with the "we havent seen the pack, check with USPS" line. Then after about 3 emails from me, they decide to tell me that they did in fact recieve the pack on the 11th, and would process the return. Today is the 22nd. No refund, no word on progress, no concern about my missing $100, no way I'll ever do business with them again. I have had to become very stern almost to the point of rude in my last correspondence with the kooks in the Gossamer Gear cyber world. Has anyone else been so shafted by a supposed "no questions asked" return policy or the @$#^%'s who run the shop?
am I missing something?

BUYERS BEWARE
I figured if they are going to screw me, Im going to tell every one about it! :mad::mad::mad:

Frosty
06-22-2008, 15:31
I sent the unused pack back to the Austin, TX warehouse within the 30 day return period. Via Priority mail on the 7th of June.

Today is the 22nd. No refund, no word on progress, no concern about my missing $100,

BUYERS BEWARE
I figured if they are going to screw me, Im going to tell every one about it! :mad::mad::mad:Geez, guy, chill a bit. You mailed the pack two weeks ago and you're claiming to be screwed? Have you ever returned anything by mail before?

Anyway, one reason you haven't seen your money might be because if you bought it on-line and used a charge card you aren't going to get a check in return. Your account will be credited. Have you checked with your credit card company? For all you know it has already be credited.

I've returned items before (not with Gossamer Gear, but with Campmor, REI, etc) and it takes about a month.

Take a handful of valium and when you wake up in a couple of weeks, it'll all be good.

Gossamer Gear, like a Tarptents, Six Moons Designs, etc etc is run by hiker-outdoor-types, not a huge business conglomerate. They provide gear for hikers that the big companies don't make because it isn't "profitable" in humongous quantities.

mikeinFHAZ
06-22-2008, 15:37
Gossamer Gear, like a Tarptents, Six Moons Designs, etc etc is run by hiker-outdoor-types, not a huge business conglomerate. They provide gear for hikers that the big companies don't make because it isn't "profitable" in humongous quantities.
just like my company. I stand behind every tarp I make. and no, I dont take drugs to deal with problems, but thanks for the offer.

Route 66
06-22-2008, 15:41
I think I will take this opportunhity to make my debut post to WB.

I have been working with GG for the past 18 months, getting outfitted for my NOBO '09. Every contact I have had with them, particularly their President, Grant Sible, has been wonderful, even over the top, especially when it comes to customer service ... including sending me free stuff (twice!), setting aside gear for me until I was able to make a go/no go decision on my hike, and giving me guidance on a piece of gear I am developing.

I am so satisfied with GG that I visit their web site every week or so, and tell every one about them!

I cannot speak to the details of your the experience with GG, but I do think that if you mailed back the goods only 15 days ago, they need to be cut a bit more slack before you conclude you have been "screwed." Beyond that, if the issue remains unresolved much longer, I suggest you call Grant himself. He'll set things straight for you.

Sidewinder
06-22-2008, 16:16
I think I will take this opportunhity to make my debut post to WB.

I have been working with GG for the past 18 months, getting outfitted for my NOBO '09. Every contact I have had with them, particularly their President, Grant Sible, has been wonderful, even over the top, especially when it comes to customer service ... including sending me free stuff (twice!), setting aside gear for me until I was able to make a go/no go decision on my hike, and giving me guidance on a piece of gear I am developing.

I am so satisfied with GG that I visit their web site every week or so, and tell every one about them!

I cannot speak to the details of your the experience with GG, but I do think that if you mailed back the goods only 15 days ago, they need to be cut a bit more slack before you conclude you have been "screwed." Beyond that, if the issue remains unresolved much longer, I suggest you call Grant himself. He'll set things straight for you.

Route 66- sounds like you and I have had the same experience with GG, Grant has always answered my questions and concerns.

mikeinFHAZ- give it a little more time and check your charge card to be sure you haven't already received a credit. Next time you return I suggest you use a method of shipping where you can track you shipment. They you will know if the company in question has received the package, when and who signed for it.

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 17:00
Jack must be napping. Can't wait to see what he has to say on this....:cool:

Jason of the Woods
06-22-2008, 17:22
Come on Jack. We're waiting..........

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:22
Not a thing. It's been covered. Gossamer Gear is a fine company and there are better ways to resolve a beef than by throwing an anonymous tantrum on the Internet.

Move on, nothing to see here.

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 17:29
Come on Jack. We're waiting..........

Why don't you start Jack off........

saimyoji
06-22-2008, 17:31
Not a thing. It's been covered. Gossamer Gear is a fine company and there are better ways to resolve a beef than by throwing an anonymous tantrum on the Internet.

Move on, nothing to see here.

Ooops. missed this. Hows the weather where y'all are?

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 17:33
Hot as hell in Harpers Ferry. But there's a brand-new hostel just opened and the hikers seem happy. Details to follow on another thread.

bullseye
06-22-2008, 17:39
I've had dealings with Grant and Glenn as a consumer as well as a competitor, and have never known either to do anything dishonest. They are who they say they are, and as long as you've followed their refund/return policies I'm sure you will be taken care of. They have ALWAYS gone above and beyond in my dealings with them. Mike, you make nice stuff, but you don't do the volume of business they do, so you might be able to respond just a tad quicker than they can. Have a little faith and keep a cool head and I'm sure it'll all work out. I'm certain they aren't trying to mislead (and I don't normally vouch for many people or companies).

Frosty
06-22-2008, 19:13
just like my company. I stand behind every tarp I make. ANd this is how you'd like your customers to handle returns? Mail something and two weeks later start internet threads saying you SUCK because they are waiting for money and haven't checked their credit card for a refund?

I sell from my home, and take credit cards via Propay. If you take charge cards for your tarps via a merchant account, then you should know that when you process a return, the credit card company can take days to finalize the transaction.

What's the name of your tarp company?

mikeinFHAZ
06-22-2008, 20:32
I did not say I was "screwed" I said this: "I figured if they are going to screw me..."
and... Frosty, it would be reasonable to imagine that a refund should be given at the most, 3 days upon reciept of item via return. (this does not, of course account for the average 3 day credit to VISA or my credit union account) That is why Gossamer has a RMA. So my return has been possibly sittin in the warehouse for 2 weeks, gathering dust. And you keep insisting that I dont check my credit card/bank account balance for a refund. Before you become condescending for the third time, let me stop you right in your pretty little tracks... do a google search of Fountain Hills. The only difference between you and I is that I have 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts. You want to come up with an intelligent reply, knock yourself out. Until then, I can only hope for our society's sake that you make it past the fourth grade.
On a lighter note, I talked candidly with Grant today who has been tied up with personal issues, and he promised to make good.

RITBlake
06-22-2008, 21:22
no way I'll ever do business with them again.

Too bad, you're going to be missing out on some amazing backpacking gear.

rickb
06-22-2008, 21:29
The only difference between you and I is that I have 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts.

My guess is that's not the only difference.

What's that chip on your shoulder weigh?

Stick around, and you might find a way to lighten up.

2XL
06-22-2008, 21:40
I had a problem with Tarpent replying to e mails I sent to get something fixed.
I picked up the phone, talked to a real person and I got courteous quick service.
Now I will do things the old fashioned way and go through the phone lines and not through the computer.

Blissful
06-22-2008, 21:41
Phone works much better. E-mail is very slow.

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 21:43
The only difference between you and I is that I have 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts. You want to come up with an intelligent reply, knock yourself out.

And you think your 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts mean something tangible?

Take it from someone who has had WAY MORE than you'll ever have:

Doesn't mean a damn thing. You can't buy health, you can't buy happiness, and you can't buy love. Last I checked, peace of mind wasn't for sale either. Yeah, the money will make you think you're above all that, but you aren't. I only hope you learn before you die rich and alone.

That's about the most immature, self centered, and delusional post I've read here yet, and that's saying an awful lot.

Good Luck to you. You're gonna need it pal.

2XL
06-22-2008, 21:50
let me stop you right in your pretty little tracks... do a google search of Fountain Hills.
What is this supposed to teach?

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 22:01
let me stop you right in your pretty little tracks... do a google search of Fountain Hills.
What is this supposed to teach?

LOL, its supposed to teach us that he's living in yet another desert turned semi inhabitable community courtesy of the Colorado River.

Freeleo
06-22-2008, 22:06
i know who i will never buy anything from but he wont need it.......hes on easy street

Bob S
06-22-2008, 22:07
Somebody needs a few Valium pills to mellow them out a bit!

Kinda related I ordered a new stove from www.scoutgear.com (http://www.scoutgear.com/) last Friday and then went on a 1-week camping trip. My stove was waiting for me today when I got back. It came in a few days ago, great service.

RITBlake
06-22-2008, 22:08
I have 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c51/anubis679/funny/no_one_cares.jpg

Tin Man
06-22-2008, 22:18
And you think your 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts mean something tangible?

Maybe he is trying to say he doesn't know where he left his cell phone to make the simple phone call that will straighten everything out. :-?

Jim Adams
06-22-2008, 22:25

Take it from someone who has had WAY MORE than you'll ever have:

Doesn't mean a damn thing. You can't buy health, you can't buy happiness, and you can't buy love. Last I checked, peace of mind wasn't for sale either. Yeah, the money will make you think you're above all that, but you aren't. I only hope you learn before you die rich and alone.

That's about the most immature, self centered, and delusional post I've read here yet, and that's saying an awful lot.

Good Luck to you. You're gonna need it pal.

musicwoman,

one of the best posts that I've read!:cool:

geek

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 23:07
Mike:

I may have missed it, but I didn't see what the name of your company is, and what it is that you manufacture.

Please feel free to tell us about it.

And gee whiz, maybe a customer might do you a favor and offer an unsolicited anonymous review of your stuff.

That wouldn't bother you, right? :rolleyes:

lococoyo
06-23-2008, 01:43
Before you become condescending for the third time, let me stop you right in your pretty little tracks... do a google search of Fountain Hills. The only difference between you and I is that I have 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts. You want to come up with an intelligent reply, knock yourself out. Until then, I can only hope for our society's sake that you make it past the fourth grade.

So give us the details, Big Pimpin'. What, $200k houses, empty bank accounts and in cc debt just paying mortgage? Are we supposed to have heard of "Fountain Hills"? Last I checked, a Ford or some busted imports wasn't a garage full of Rovers. So hows the balance and whats the fleet? And hey, man while you're at it why not post some pics of all the chicks you've f'd in the past year. Show us all up. Didn't look like anyone else was being condescending.

Jack - I think its etherealgear.com

Tabasco
06-23-2008, 10:03
I did not say I was "screwed" I said this: "I figured if they are going to screw me..."
and... Before you become condescending for the third time, let me stop you right in your pretty little tracks... do a google search of Fountain Hills. The only difference between you and I is that I have 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts. You want to come up with an intelligent reply, knock yourself out. Until then, I can only hope for our society's sake that you make it past the fourth grade.

What a load of pompus self serving crap. If you really think anyone here cares where you live, what you drive and how much money you have, you are sorely mistaken. That's why I love the woods so much, I can camp with a laid off auto worker or a CEO, and NO ONE mentions money or jobs or houses or cars or any of the other supposed status symbols of our society, because in the woods, no one cares.

Tin Man
06-23-2008, 10:09
What a load of pompus self serving crap. If you really think anyone here cares where you live, what you drive and how much money you have, you are sorely mistaken. That's why I love the woods so much, I can camp with a laid off auto worker or a CEO, and NO ONE mentions money or jobs or houses or cars or any of the other supposed status symbols of our society, because in the woods, no one cares.

Yep. Besides, living in the woods IS the bigger status symbol. Wish I could do more of it myself. :)

flemdawg1
06-23-2008, 10:13
Mike sounds like a swell guy. Can't wait to do business w/ him. [/sarcasm]

Freeleo
06-23-2008, 10:14
So give us the details, Big Pimpin'

Jack - I think its etherealgear.com

here is the refund policy stated on his website...he doesnt have on;)

"Refund, Returns and Cancellation Policies:

Enter details of your refund, return, or cancellation policies (if any). Provide instructions for when and how buyers can get a refund, return merchandise, or cancel an order. Review the refund policy of other stores to get an idea of the different approaches and then create the policy that works best for your store"

musicwoman
06-23-2008, 10:21
here is the refund policy stated on his website...he doesnt have on;)

"Refund, Returns and Cancellation Policies:

Enter details of your refund, return, or cancellation policies (if any). Provide instructions for when and how buyers can get a refund, return merchandise, or cancel an order. Review the refund policy of other stores to get an idea of the different approaches and then create the policy that works best for your store"

I believe that's an e-commerce template from Yahoo. The site says its not operational yet, guess they're still working on it.

Mike definitely needs to work on his people skills if his business has any chance of success. Coming onto a message board full of potential customers and p*ssing everyone off with that arrogant attitude isn't a good way to build up a customer base.

He might start with an apology here.

Freeleo
06-23-2008, 10:31
i wonder if his partner know about all this...their is anohter email address on their site if anyone wants to send him the link to the thread

4eyedbuzzard
06-23-2008, 10:35
Just another yahoo store website that never got past the first week of inspiration.

Lyle
06-23-2008, 11:56
Oh Mike, Where are you?

Suddenly all is quiet. HMMMMMM

By the way, Gossamer Gear is an excellent company, with excellent products.

McPick
06-23-2008, 12:04

Amen, sister.

Originally Posted by Tabasco http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=650845#post650845)

Simple translation: In the woods, most people would rather take a poop than give a poop...

Catnip
06-23-2008, 15:16
Nevermind

Tabasco
06-23-2008, 15:57
Right hand side of the page, about 1/2 way down.
Truer words have never been spoken.....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=13459

Freeleo
06-23-2008, 16:00
mikeinFHAZ has not made any friends yet
Befriend mikeinFHAZ (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=friend&u=13459)

man the line is really long:p

envirodiver
06-23-2008, 16:13
Kanga you are right.

kanga
06-23-2008, 16:16
you know, the guy might have come off sounding like an ass because he was pissed (prematurely, i agree), and i seriously doubt that ANY of you have ever been in a similar situation where you vented before thinking through your thoughts, but honestly..
there's not a single other post in this thread that's a step up from his. you are all giving back exactly what you got, which i feel is a sign of true maturity on all of your parts.

Tin Man
06-23-2008, 16:22
Kanga, sounds like you joined the club. ;)

kanga
06-23-2008, 16:24
what club? i doan wanna be in no stinkin club!

musicwoman
06-23-2008, 16:24
you know, the guy might have come off sounding like an ass because he was pissed (prematurely, i agree), and i seriously doubt that ANY of you have ever been in a similar situation where you vented before thinking through your thoughts, but honestly..
there's not a single other post in this thread that's a step up from his. you are all giving back exactly what you got, which i feel is a sign of true maturity on all of your parts.

Actually, people were trying to help him and telling him to calm down in a nice way, until he called it condescending, and then pulled the "I am higher on the status scale then you" crap.

I am sorry if you feel as though we acted immaturely in our responses to such an insulting post.

And Kanga, next time you want to be so condescending, just remember, I have 9 cars, 102 houses, 34 bank accounts (23 of those are Swiss) and one of those really expensive home theater systems that I don't know how to turn on.....but who cares, I have them so nyah. :D

Lyle
06-23-2008, 16:26

His original post was directed at the company he was upset with. Ok, he may be venting. His follow-up posts were clearly directed at various members of WB who were pointing out that he may have jumped the gun. He took on a very condescending attitude with everyone here, he deserves the tongue-in-cheek hostility he is receiving.

kanga
06-23-2008, 16:28
Actually, people were trying to help him and telling him to calm down in a nice way, until he called it condescending, and then pulled the "I am higher on the status scale then you" crap.

I am sorry if you feel as though we acted immaturely in our responses to such an insulting post.

And Kanga, next time you want to be so condescending, just remember, I have 9 cars, 102 houses, 34 bank accounts (23 of those are Swiss) and one of those really expensive home theater systems that I don't know how to turn on.....but who cares, I have them so nyah. :D

it was insulting, something that typically comes out of talking out of your ass when you're pissed, but the thing to do after calling him out on it is to (eventually) let it go. 15 members lining up to jump his butt doesn't seem really mature to me, it seems like bullys on a playground beating up the short bus kid, right?
i'm glad you got humor, tho, mw! i'll call you up when i need to condescend. there aren't too many out there that have more than me!;)

kanga
06-23-2008, 16:31
His original post was directed at the company he was upset with. Ok, he may be venting. His follow-up posts were clearly directed at various members of WB who were pointing out that he may have jumped the gun. He took on a very condescending attitude with everyone here, he deserves the tongue-in-cheek hostility he is receiving.

no, he got defensive because he didn't have somebody to take his side and tell him how to fix what he perceived as a problem and you fell right into it. you attacked, he attacked right back. read back on your posts tomorrow with a fresh view and tell me you're still really proud of your witty posts.

Tin Man
06-23-2008, 16:31
it was insulting, something that typically comes out of talking out of your ass when you're pissed, but the thing to do after calling him out on it is to (eventually) let it go. 15 members lining up to jump his butt doesn't seem really mature to me, it seems like bullys on a playground beating up the short bus kid, right?
i'm glad you got humor, tho, mw! i'll call you up when i need to condescend. there aren't too many out there that have more than me!;)

You are too funny. Let it go? You just stirred it up. Definitely a member of the "stinkin' club". :)

kanga
06-23-2008, 16:33
You are too funny. Let it go? You just stirred it up. Definitely a member of the "stinkin' club". :)

that's cute

musicwoman
06-23-2008, 16:34
"i'm glad you got humor, tho, mw! i'll call you up when i need to condescend. there aren't too many out there that have more than me!;)"

Kewl, we can condescend together :)

Lyle
06-23-2008, 16:35
no, he got defensive because he didn't have somebody to take his side and tell him how to fix what he perceived as a problem and you fell right into it. you attacked, he attacked right back. read back on your posts tomorrow with a fresh view and tell me you're still really proud of your witty posts.

Numerous people told him exactly how to fix it, make a phone call and be nice. He didn't want to hear it.

Done now, all has been said.

Lone Wolf
06-23-2008, 16:35
what's gossamer gear? some over-priced crap?

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 16:36
We've seen a bunch of this sort of thing this week. And these ranting posts berating one company or anther, accomplish very little. They serve two purposes: The make the ranter feel better, and they make the ranter look foolish. And that's ALL they do; they certainly don't remotely begin to help address the original problem. If a guy has a beef or problem with some company, then THAT's where he should go with his complaint and his problem. Bringing it to the Internet doesn't do a damned thing to help solve the problem, and when someone goes after a company or attempts to malign them, this usually backfires......the only one that looks bad is the original poster.

I doubt we'll hear from Mike again, but if he does read this: There are better ways to solve your problem, and I don't think you'd think much of someone who acted this way if they had a beef or problem with YOUR company. Sorry, Mike, but this whole thread reflects poorly on you ANY your company.

I could add that nobody here gives a damn where you live, how well you live, or how many cars you own, but let's not even go there. For now, just realize that the content and tone of your original post was not inclined to make people feel sympathetic towards your problem with this gear company.

In fact, you did just the opposite.

kanga
06-23-2008, 16:40
We've seen a bunch of this sort of thing this week. And these ranting posts berating one company or anther, accomplish very little. They serve two purposes: The make the ranter feel better, and they make the ranter look foolish. And that's ALL they do; they certainly don't remotely begin to help address the original problem. If a guy has a beef or problem with some company, then THAT's where he should go with his complaint and his problem. Bringing it to the Internet doesn't do a damned thing to help solve the problem, and when someone goes after a company or attempts to malign them, this usually backfires......the only one that looks bad is the original poster.

I doubt we'll hear from Mike again, but if he does read this: There are better ways to solve your problem, and I don't think you'd think much of someone who acted this way if they had a beef or problem with YOUR company. Sorry, Mike, but this whole thread reflects poorly on you ANY your company.

I could add that nobody here gives a damn where you live, how well you live, or how many cars you own, but let's not even go there. For now, just realize that the content and tone of your original post was not inclined to make people feel sympathetic towards your problem with this gear company.

In fact, you did just the opposite.

good stuff jack. well said.

rafe
06-23-2008, 16:43

I'm with you, Kanga. Typical WB mob mentality and group-think. I have no particular empathy with the OP, but even less with the reaction it provoked.

Freeleo
06-23-2008, 16:46

is your real name phinelopee(spelling) you know the girl from SNL:p

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 16:50
"Mob mentality," Terrapin?

Please.

All people said was that the original poster did nothing but make himself look whiny, self-pitying, and pathetic.

Are you SURE you don't feel some sort of empathy?

Cuz if you do, believe me, we can understand why. :D

musicwoman
06-23-2008, 16:50
is your real name phinelopee(spelling) you know the girl from SNL:p

Dang, I've been outed.:sun

Jason of the Woods
06-23-2008, 17:00
"Mob mentality," Terrapin?

Please.

All people said was that the original poster did nothing but make himself look whiny, self-pitying, and pathetic.

Are you SURE you don't feel some sort of empathy?

Cuz if you do, believe me, we can understand why. :D
I think what he means is that they had a different opinion than that of Jack.:rolleyes:

Frosty
06-24-2008, 20:48
And Kanga, next time you want to be so condescending, just remember, I have 9 cars, 102 houses, ....I have the race car and a lot of houses on Marvin Gardens, Ventnor Avenue, St James Place, etc, not to mention hotels on Connecticut, Vermont and Oriental Avenues. As soon as I get all four railroads, I'll be so high up the pecking order that everyone, even the OP, will have to be con-ascending to me.

Kanga, I see your point, but the first post was so over the top, ranting against a hiker owned and run business, it pushed a few buttons. Mike's follow-on replies did nothing but stir up people who didn't even care about GG.

Terrapin, you don't know the difference between groupthink and a concensus. What you have here are a number of people who all feel the same way and are exercising their right to post, just as you have. Every member here is entitled to her or his say, and just because it agrees with what someone else has already said does not mean he isn't allowed to say it. If there are a preponderance of posts critical of the OP, then it is because the preponderance of WBers feel that way. The idea that WBers do not think independently, that they will take the opinion of anyone else in some kind of groupthink is nonsense.

There is occaisionally what I term "piling on" where the same thing is said more than needs to be said over, but that is not groupthink.

Darwin again
06-24-2008, 21:00
I have 4 cars, 2 houses and 5 bank accounts.

Sorry you're so overextended.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

dork.

rafe
06-24-2008, 21:29
Terrapin, you don't know the difference between groupthink and a concensus [...] There is occaisionally what I term "piling on" where the same thing is said more than needs to be said over, but that is not groupthink.

There's a lot of piling-on at Whiteblaze, then. I mean, how many times must the same opinion be offered concerning the same post(er) on the same thread? And it's not like this kinda thing hasn't happened in the past, on any number of topics.

Tell me that group think doesn't apply on the topic of shelters. You know, I've been pooting around on the AT (and other New England/ADK) trails for 30+ years, and I'd never heard the expression "shelters suck" before coming to WhiteBlaze, nor anything remotely like the sort of anti-shelter attitudes that prevail at this site. Care to explain that? :-?

Tell me that group-think doesn't apply in the no-dogs-in-shelters thread. How else to explain the near-unanimity of opinion? 600+ posts, and you can count on one or two hands the dissenting opinions. How often does that happen in real life?

Or maybe you can explain why, in 600 miles and six weeks of AT hiking last summer, I did not run across one single hiker whom I could identify as a Whiteblazer, or who identified themselves as such? Seems to me what we have here is a fairly insular community -- one whose expressed opinions largely reflect those of a handful of very outspoken personalities. It certainly does not represent the hiking community "at-large."

And that leads to group-think. Folks need to get out more -- and think for themselves. Or simply dare to speak up when their opinion happens to diverge from that of the majority.

And hey, I fully expect to be flamed up the wazoo for this post. Ask me if I give a hoot. Let the piling-on begin. :D

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 21:51
There's a lot of piling-on at Whiteblaze, then. I mean, how many times must the same opinion be offered concerning the same post(er) on the same thread? And it's not like this kinda thing hasn't happened in the past, on any number of topics.

Tell me that group think doesn't apply on the topic of shelters. You know, I've been pooting around on the AT (and other New England/ADK) trails for 30+ years, and I'd never heard the expression "shelters suck" before coming to WhiteBlaze, nor anything remotely like the sort of anti-shelter attitudes that prevail at this site. Care to explain that? :-?

Tell me that group-think doesn't apply in the no-dogs-in-shelters thread. How else to explain the near-unanimity of opinion? 600+ posts, and you can count on one or two hands the dissenting opinions. How often does that happen in real life?

Or maybe you can explain why, in 600 miles and six weeks of AT hiking last summer, I did not run across one single hiker whom I could identify as a Whiteblazer, or who identified themselves as such? Seems to me what we have here is a fairly insular community -- one whose expressed opinions largely reflect those of a handful of very outspoken personalities. It certainly does not represent the hiking community "at-large."

And that leads to group-think. Folks need to get out more -- and think for themselves. Or simply dare to speak up when their opinion happens to diverge from that of the majority.

And hey, I fully expect to be flamed up the wazoo for this post. Ask me if I give a hoot. Let the piling-on begin. :D

Nice post! ;)

Shelters suck - I knew that before I came here. But I would say there are a fair number of people who support staying in shelters and maybe that is why they say...

No dogs in shelters - I knew that before I came here. Seems to be a little ironic to the shelters suck notion though. If shelters suck then who cares if dogs are there.

White blaze is a no show on the trail - I knew that before I came here. :rolleyes:

Perhaps like minds think alike and just happened to join White Blaze, or perhaps not. OR consider that perhaps as things are discussed, others begin to re-think their original position. If you call that group-think, be my guest. I call it being open minded. Mainly because there are many other things discussed where there is no consensus - hiking poles, water filtering, etc. So, "group-think" on some things and not others? Hmm. :-?

What do you think?

River Runner
06-24-2008, 22:25

Then it really shouldn't be a surprise when it happens should it? It's an internet forum, and like Frosty says, everyone is allowed to state their opinion, as they should be.

If someone posts a complaint against a company with a good reputation with hikers that normally has excellent customer service, over something like a relatively short delay in a refund, then they probably SHOULD expect a lot of flack. And if they start trying to impress everyone here with what they own, as if that matters as to how someone should be treated, then it's a little naive to think they won't be ridiculed.

Anyone who spends a single evening reading WhiteBlaze probably wouldn't expect any different. ;) And anyone who's so sensitive about it might be better served elsewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where someone can post on a forum and not get flack about something. :D

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 22:32
Anyone who spends a single evening reading WhiteBlaze probably wouldn't expect any different. ;) And anyone who's so sensitive about it might be better served elsewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where someone can post on a forum and not get flack about something. :D

Ever notice that the open-minded don't catch as much flak as the close-minded? :)

Jack Tarlin
06-24-2008, 22:32
With all due respect, Terrapin, I'm not buying into your "group think" argument.

In perfect blunt English, the post that started this thread was rubbish, and the later posts by the same author (providing details of luxury housing, number of automobiles, etc). was some of the most arrogant moosecockery I've seen here in awhile. If people piled onto this guy, it seems evident that they had their reasons.

Certain posts and posters are gonna get a certain ammount of flak, and it doesn't mean there's some sort of insidious group-think going on.

It merely means that a great majority of folks disagreed with their posts.

And that's all that happened here.

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 22:35
I have the race car and a lot of houses on Marvin Gardens, Ventnor Avenue, St James Place, etc, not to mention hotels on Connecticut, Vermont and Oriental Avenues. As soon as I get all four railroads, I'll be so high up the pecking order that everyone, even the OP, will have to be con-ascending to me.

Kanga, I see your point, but the first post was so over the top, ranting against a hiker owned and run business, it pushed a few buttons. Mike's follow-on replies did nothing but stir up people who didn't even care about GG.

Terrapin, you don't know the difference between groupthink and a concensus. What you have here are a number of people who all feel the same way and are exercising their right to post, just as you have. Every member here is entitled to her or his say, and just because it agrees with what someone else has already said does not mean he isn't allowed to say it. If there are a preponderance of posts critical of the OP, then it is because the preponderance of WBers feel that way. The idea that WBers do not think independently, that they will take the opinion of anyone else in some kind of groupthink is nonsense.

There is occaisionally what I term "piling on" where the same thing is said more than needs to be said over, but that is not groupthink.

I'm a level 70 Paladin with 16k hit points and the epic helmet of holy smiting.

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 22:38
With all due respect, Terrapin, I'm not buying into your "group think" argument.

In perfect blunt English, the post that started this thread was rubbish, and the later posts by the same author (providing details of luxury housing, number of automobiles, etc). was some of the most arrogant moosecockery I've seen here in awhile. If people piled onto this guy, it seems evident that they had their reasons.

Certain posts and posters are gonna get a certain ammount of flak, and it doesn't mean there's some sort of insidious group-think going on.

It merely means that a great majority of folks disagreed with their posts.

And that's all that happened here.

Was that "post and posters" or "poses and posers"? ;)

Tin Man
06-24-2008, 22:40

Please, a little help for those non-gamers?

Odd Thomas
06-24-2008, 22:48
Please, a little help for those non-gamers?

Actually I'm a level 70 Gnome Mage, but I quoted a Family Guy scene.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Hand&n=Gnomeinc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6rKQ-x3g1E

Wags
06-25-2008, 00:47
i agree w/ terrapin's post

Heater
06-25-2008, 00:59
i agree w/ terrapin's post

I concur with your agreement of the other posters post.

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 01:08
I concur with your agreement of the other posters post.

Groupthink is a type of thought exhibited by group members who try to minimize conflict and reach consensus.

So who here thinks agreement was reached in order to minimize conflict? :p

ed bell
06-25-2008, 01:12

And hey, I fully expect to be flamed up the wazoo for this post. Ask me if I give a hoot. Let the piling-on begin. :DAll you are griping about is shelter opinions. You obviously utilize shelters and enjoy them. Good for you. My understanding of the "shelters suck" sentiment is that backpacking self-reliance avoids the convenience of shelters and actually embraces the ability to avoid the pseudo-security some find in a trail shelter. To those who don't care and don't need it, you know who you are. To those who are looking for advice and encouragement, some here feel that steering folks away from the shelter mindset is a great way to let the aspiring backpacker embrace the freedom that camping in the woods can provide. They can enjoy and utilize the shelters in due time without using them as a crutch. I'm not a fan of shelters, but as a disclaimer, I do most of my backpacking on trails other than the AT. Shelters are non-existent. I'm sure to be flamed as well. I welcome the assault!:cool:

rafe
06-25-2008, 01:52
Ed: Some go beyond "shelters suck" to "only fools/weenies use shelters." I don't see how this is helpful, let alone civil.

I do believe that it's important for beginners to understand that some sort of personal shelter should always be carried. That's a no-brainer.

"Shelters suck" isn't a sentiment. Suck is a crude pejorative. I'll pass for now on the more mild innuendo (eg., pseudo-security, crutch.)

For me, adventure on the AT includes meeting new folks. Strangers! Scary! Some of the best times I've had on the AT have been at the shelters, trading stories and tall tales with "strange" folks from g*d-knows-where.

Bearpaw
06-25-2008, 02:07

Dude! Nobody likes your Lawful Good goodie goodie attitude and elevated sense of self-worth. My mere 9th level ranger would own your sorry butt the moment you stepped out of the dungeon and into the wilderness, you miserable rule-raping gump-goblin!

Wow, that was liberating!;) Geeks of the board, UNITE!:D

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 03:34
Ed: Some go beyond "shelters suck" to "only fools/weenies use shelters." I don't see how this is helpful, let alone civil.

I do believe that it's important for beginners to understand that some sort of personal shelter should always be carried. That's a no-brainer.

"Shelters suck" isn't a sentiment. Suck is a crude pejorative. I'll pass for now on the more mild innuendo (eg., pseudo-security, crutch.)

For me, adventure on the AT includes meeting new folks. Strangers! Scary! Some of the best times I've had on the AT have been at the shelters, trading stories and tall tales with "strange" folks from g*d-knows-where.

god knows shelters suck especially when dogs, smokers and dopers are in them

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 03:48
god knows shelters suck especially when dogs, smokers and dopers are in them

Nothing's more annoying than a drunk. I'll take dogs, smokers and dopers over drunks any day.

Especially chatty drunks who stand 12" inside personal space limits and move closer when you try to back up. Ugh.

Jason of the Woods
06-25-2008, 07:53
Nothing's more annoying than a drunk. I'll take dogs, smokers and dopers over drunks any day.

Especially chatty drunks who stand 12" inside personal space limits and move closer when you try to back up. Ugh.
That was good.

kanga
06-25-2008, 08:30
Groupthink is a type of thought exhibited by group members who try to minimize conflict and reach consensus.

So who here thinks agreement was reached in order to minimize conflict? :p

fine. let's go back with "mob mentality".

Tabasco
06-25-2008, 08:31
Has anyone seen my dead horse? I left him right here.........

kanga
06-25-2008, 08:32
Has anyone seen my dead horse? I left him right here.........

i've been beating him for quite some time. you left him... i didn't know you would want him back.:p

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 08:47
That was good.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25693

Here he comes now. Not a bad guy sober, but man.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 08:56
I'm a level 70 Paladin with 16k hit points and the epic helmet of holy smiting.Your DM must be a candy ass:eek:.

Other than that I totally agree with Terrapin. This place is just so vanilla. Everyone is just so like minded, never a contrary opinion.

I can always spot a WBer on the trail. They have the exact same gear. They follow the same routines when they get to camp too. I used to time how long it took each one I found to complete dinner but it was always 11 minutes 27 seconds. So I stopped doing it. Plus they'd always look at me 9 minutes and 18 seconds in and ask, "Are you timing me again?":eek:. That started to freak me out.

Best to quit the site now before you are converted. I blame it all on that guy Paul Mags and his infernal book HIKE MY HIKE, DAMN IT!

Mags
06-25-2008, 09:27
Shelters suck - I knew that before I came here. But I would say there are a fair number of people who support staying in shelters and maybe that is why they say...

My buddies and I thought shelters were odd even before I knew what the AT was. I suspect most weekend backpackers think along those lines...

I still think that shelters are odd. :)

Mags
06-25-2008, 09:30
Dude! Nobody likes your Lawful Good goodie goodie attitude and elevated sense of self-worth. My mere 9th level ranger would own your sorry butt the moment you stepped out of the dungeon and into the wilderness, you miserable rule-raping gump-goblin!

Wow, that was liberating!;) Geeks of the board, UNITE!:D

I'm a level 20 barfly. I posses the "Tab of never ending Credit".

Mags
06-25-2008, 09:33
fine. let's go back with "mob mentality".

We need more gold jewelry first...

http://www.premier-md.com/images/Pinball%20Machines/Sopranos/sopranos_Stern01.jpg

ki0eh
06-25-2008, 09:40
You know, I've been pooting around on the AT (and other New England/ADK) trails for 30+ years, and I'd never heard the expression "shelters suck" before coming to WhiteBlaze, nor anything remotely like the sort of anti-shelter attitudes that prevail at this site. Care to explain that? :-?

An anti-shelter viewpoint seems to characterize many who have been connected with Pennsylvania's footpaths beyond the A.T. The "other" PA long trails, with a few exceptions, do NOT have shelters. For instance, in the 526 km of the longest in PA, Mid State Trail, there is one shelter - which a landowner decided on its own to build and maintain. There's what, 70 shelters on the slightly shorter VT LT??

I think shelters are like a certain brand of potato chips - you can't have just one. Plus you need a lot of extra help to keep them from going to ****. Some pro-shelter hikers have said to the KTA groups that more shelters are needed, so they have been invited to put their time where their mouth is.

rafe
06-25-2008, 10:13
ki0eh: i'm neither pro nor anti. but i repeat: i've never heard the phrase "shelters suck" outside of whiteblaze, and it would never have occurred to me to utter such a phrase. and if one's goal were to "educate" hikers on the topic of shelters, i'd think one could find more appropriate language.

4eyedbuzzard
06-25-2008, 10:15
... i've never heard the phrase "shelters suck" outside of whiteblaze...

Ya don't hear it too often during a good thunderstorm either...;)

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 10:19
ki0eh: i'm neither pro nor anti. but i repeat: i've never heard the phrase "shelters suck" outside of whiteblaze,

cuz maybe folks outside of whiteblaze are non-hikers and have never heard of the AT. duh!? shelters suck very much

4eyedbuzzard
06-25-2008, 10:22
Most hikers have probably never heard of Whiteblaze

Alligator
06-25-2008, 10:36
ki0eh: i'm neither pro nor anti. but i repeat: i've never heard the phrase "shelters suck" outside of whiteblaze, and it would never have occurred to me to utter such a phrase. and if one's goal were to "educate" hikers on the topic of shelters, i'd think one could find more appropriate language.Honestly I think you have fallen into the trap of letting LW get inside your head. There are a plethora of topics here at WB for which divergent opinions are expressed.

Lyle
06-25-2008, 10:36
Gotta agree with 4eyedbuzzard on that one.

rafe
06-25-2008, 10:39
cuz maybe folks outside of whiteblaze are non-hikers and have never heard of the AT.

that's utter BS

rafe
06-25-2008, 10:40
Honestly I think you have fallen into the trap of letting LW get inside your head.

LW is hardly the only one saying it. Though I suspect others are parroting him.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 10:41
LW is hardly the only one saying it. Though I suspect others are parroting him.I think he has it trademarked.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 10:47
that's utter BS

oh really?

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 10:47
If it's pretty much just one guy, Terrapin, being parroted by a handful of other folks, then why are your knickers in such a twist over it?

Doesn't seem worth worrying about to me. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 10:49
If it's pretty much just one guy, Terrapin, being parroted by a handful of other folks, then why are your knickers in such a twist over it?

cuz he sits in a cube all day with nothing better to do. he should be working. wonder if his boss knows he's constantly on here. cubes must suck

kanga
06-25-2008, 10:55
LW is hardly the only one saying it. Though I suspect others are parroting him.

that's not necessarily true. i've parroted his statement a few times in my effort to be carry on the tradition of sarcasm, but my disgust of shelters goes back well over a decade, long before i met wolf.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 10:57
Shelters Rule™.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 10:59
Shelters Rule™.....

....the sheeple weenies

Alligator
06-25-2008, 11:01
....the sheeple weeniesI love groupthink.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 11:02
shelters suck™

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 11:04
shelters suck™....

....end of story

flemdawg1
06-25-2008, 11:04
I agree w/ Terrapin, and I think we all should.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 11:05
Hmmm. Anyone wanna talk about Gossamer Gear or Mike's original post?

Not to break up this love-fest or anything....... :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 11:05

oh christ :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 11:07

Not to break up this love-fest or anything....... :rolleyes:

it's been talked to death like every thread on this website. besides you ain't no moderator or recreation director.

Alligator
06-25-2008, 11:10

Not to break up this love-fest or anything....... :rolleyes:I agree,

it's been talked to death like every thread on this website. besides you ain't no moderator or recreation director.with both of you:D.

rafe
06-25-2008, 13:42

i presume and hope that remark was in jest.

Frosty
06-25-2008, 14:51
Tell me that group think doesn't apply on the topic of shelters. You know, I've been pooting around on the AT (and other New England/ADK) trails for 30+ years, and I'd never heard the expression "shelters suck" before coming to WhiteBlaze, nor anything remotely like the sort of anti-shelter attitudes that prevail at this site. Care to explain that? :-?Like I said, there is a difference between a number of people all believing the same thing because they have thought about it and that is what they believe (a concensus), and a number of people who believe something not because they have thought about it but because someone else believes it. But even that doesn't apply here. You say there is WB groupthink that shelters suck. I disagree. I think far more people on WB approve of shelters than say they suck. So yeah, I'm telling you that groupthink doesn't apply to shelters.

Tell me that group-think doesn't apply in the no-dogs-in-shelters thread. How else to explain the near-unanimity of opinion?Ah, the old I-can't-think-of-anything-else-so-there-can-be-no-other-reason argument. Actually, I gave you a reason. There is a near-unamity of opinion because that is what people think. Why do people think that way? Perhaps none of the posters like dogs waling on their sleeping bags with muddy gear?

Tell me that group-think doesn't apply in the no-dogs-in-shelters thread. How else to explain the near-unanimity of opinion? 600+ posts, and you can count on one or two hands the dissenting opinions. How often does that happen in real life?a) 600 posts does not mean 600 people.

b) You do not have everyone's opinion. People who have had gear runined by dogs are annoyed and more likely to post than people who have not had problems and don't really care.

c) There are a lot more people who don't hike with dogs than those that do.

d) When you are talking about a cross section of humanity, there is a wider range of opinions. Howerver, when you get into a closely defined group, all the time. Most people who think about dogs think about cute puppies, they are thinking about the dog and ruined their sleeping bag. You would get a similar opinion in a quilting group if you asked about handmade quilts vs printed-on-design fake quilts, or asked an epicurean group about MacDOnalds. It isn't groupthink. It is simply people with similar interests who have on their own opinions.

Your argument that because a number of people have the same opinion, they could not have arrived at it independently and the ONLY reason they have the same opinion is because someone else had the opinion and they went along without thinking shows a total lack of ... well ... thinking.

And hey, I fully expect to be flamed up the wazoo for this post. Ask me if I give a hoot. Let the piling-on begin. :DWeak. Trying to say that if people disagree with you they are somehow flaming you or are wrong is pitiful. State your ideas and stand by them or not, but please spare the oh-poor-me bullcrap. If you tell 1000 people something and 1000 people diagree, it isn't because they all dislike you. It's because they each separately disagree with what you said. Same if they all agree. It isn't because you are likable; it's because they agree with what you said. Why is that so hard to grasp?

Or maybe you can explain why, in 600 miles and six weeks of AT hiking last summer, I did not run across one single hiker whom I could identify as a Whiteblazer, or who identified themselves as such?Don't be goofy. Think about it for a minute:

I met 600 hikers and,
No one told me they were on Whiteblaze.
No one told me they Roman Catholic.
No one told me they had been divorced.
No one told me their parents had died.
No one told me they have traveled to Europe.
No one told me they owned a pet.

Therefore, I have scientifically proven that no AT hiker has ever been on WB, there are no Roman Catholics who hike the trail, no divorced person ever hikes the trail, everyone on the trail has living parents, and no one on the trail has either been to Europe or owns a pet.

Do you see how absurd this kind of thinking is?

Anyway, this is now waaay off-topic. Maybe a mod could split this off and pu it in the forum where dumb threads go to die a well-deserved death.

Monkeywrench
06-25-2008, 15:03
Kewl, we can condescend together :)

codescend? :-?

kanga
06-25-2008, 15:05
codescend? :-?

groupdescend?:eek:

envirodiver
06-25-2008, 15:06
Your DM must be a candy ass:eek:.

Other than that I totally agree with Terrapin. This place is just so vanilla. Everyone is just so like minded, never a contrary opinion.

I can always spot a WBer on the trail. They have the exact same gear. They follow the same routines when they get to camp too. I used to time how long it took each one I found to complete dinner but it was always 11 minutes 27 seconds. So I stopped doing it. Plus they'd always look at me 9 minutes and 18 seconds in and ask, "Are you timing me again?":eek:. That started to freak me out.

Best to quit the site now before you are converted. I blame it all on that guy Paul Mags and his infernal book HIKE MY HIKE, DAMN IT!

I agree with everything that you said. Wow, that's incerdible.

kanga
06-25-2008, 15:08
I agree with everything that you said. Wow, that's incerdible.
that's incredible. sheesh!

Creek Dancer
06-25-2008, 15:10
Actually, empirical studies suggest that the phenomenon of "group think" ideally occurs in groups of 6 - 8 people. With groups larger than 6-8 people, the impact of a few to sway the whole group's thinking dissipates to the point of no impact as the group grows in number of people. These studies did not include internet groups, but since internet groups generally have many more than 6-8 people, I don't think the "group think" phenomenon would occur here. But it might make for an interesting study!!

Sorry, I can't post links to the studies because I only have the hard copies.

Odd Thomas
06-25-2008, 15:12
Actually, empirical studies suggest that the phenomenon of "group think" ideally occurs in groups of 6 - 8 people. With groups larger than 6-8 people, the impact of a few to sway the whole group's thinking dissipates to the point of no impact as the group grows in number of people. These studies did not include internet groups, but since internet groups generally have many more than 6-8 people, I don't think the "group think" phenomenon would occur here. But it might make for an interesting study!!

When the revolution comes, remind me to ask for a very large jury.

4eyedbuzzard
06-25-2008, 15:13

Those studies weren't done by a group of 6 to 8 social scientists, were they? :-? :eek: :D

flemdawg1
06-25-2008, 15:13
i presume and hope that remark was in jest.

Yes your sarcasm meter is working correctly.

Creek Dancer
06-25-2008, 15:17
those Studies Weren't Done By A Group Of 6 To 8 Social Scientists, Were They? :-? :eek: :d

Lol! :D

envirodiver
06-25-2008, 15:19
that's incredible. sheesh!

How dare you sheesh me. :D

kanga
06-25-2008, 15:24
How dare you sheesh me. :D

sheesh! look. i did it again.

kanga
06-25-2008, 15:27

okay, then think about it this way...
in school, do you remember when the "popular kids" decided to pick on someone and then the "not-so-popular kids" joined in? it's not because they all necessarily had the same opinion, but more likely they agreed because they did not want to be the object of the popular kids ridicule. it's easier to help bullies pound on someone else than draw pounding-attention onto yourself.
what's that called?
obnoxious behavior?

Creek Dancer
06-25-2008, 15:34
Sure, that works.

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 15:36
Funny thing.

The most conspicuous examples of pig-piling groupthink on this website can be found on the Political Forums, and it usually involves a mutual groping session by Terrapin, Hopeful, Weary, FD, Whitefoot, and Tater. Every time one of them posts, the rest of the chorus is quick to agree with them. Every time one of these guys gets criticized, for anything, the posse comes swarming out of the woodwork, kinda like when you were young and the obnoxious kid who lived down the block who would pick fights with you, but would then stand back after he went crying to his older brothers for help.

Anyway, this sort of group-think appears on the Political Forums every single day, and oddly enough, I have never once seen Terrapin complain about it.

Gee, why's that I wonder? :rolleyes:

kanga
06-25-2008, 15:39
Funny thing.

The most conspicuous examples of pig-piling groupthink on this website can be found on the Political Forums, and it usually involves a mutual groping session by Terrapin, Hopeful, Weary, FD, Whitefoot, and Tater. Every time one of them posts, the rest of the chorus is quick to agree with them. Every time one of these guys gets criticized, for anything, the posse comes swarming out of the woodwork, kinda like when you were young and the obnoxious kid who lived down the block who would pick fights with you, but would then stand back after he went crying to his older brothers for help.

Anyway, this sort of group-think appears on the Political Forums every single day, and oddly enough, I have never once seen Terrapin complain about it.

yeah, but to be fair, jack, you and tin man do alot of the tag-teaming yourselves.

i don't think it was a pre-formed group thing here, i just think it got carried away.

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 15:43
Funny thing.

That's why I quit the political forums. Too many clueless left-footed foot stompers for my tastes. :) No one listens to another viewpoint, just stomps their feet and whine when you call 'em liberal. What's with dat?

Respectfully,
Proud to be conservative

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 15:47
yeah, but to be fair, jack, you and tin man do alot of the tag-teaming yourselves.

i don't think it was a pre-formed group thing here, i just think it got carried away.

It ain't tag teaming to agree. Some would like you to believe that Jack stands alone with his opinions. He doesn't and I am just supporting his thoughts. That doesn't say we always agree either, because we don't.

envirodiver
06-25-2008, 16:00
sheesh! look. i did it again.

Oh yeah http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/tantrum.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/massmoon.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:03
Oh yeah http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/tantrum.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/massmoon.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

you know, you really should be over here...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38479

it's where all the cool kids are.

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 16:09
Okay smilie people, kindly retire the smilies from whence they came. :)

envirodiver
06-25-2008, 16:30
Okay smilie people, kindly retire the smilies from whence they came. :)

No thank you. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/loopy.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

kanga
06-25-2008, 16:31
No thank you. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/loopy.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

see, now. i thought the other one you sent me earlier would have been more appropriate.

envirodiver
06-25-2008, 16:47
see, now. i thought the other one you sent me earlier would have been more appropriate.

That was just for you. :sun

rafe
06-25-2008, 17:02
Funny thing.

The most conspicuous examples of pig-piling groupthink on this website can be found on the Political Forums, and it usually involves a mutual groping session by Terrapin

Jack: I haven't been on a political forum in probably a year or more. Put down the bottle.

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 17:29
Jack: I haven't been on a political forum in probably a year or more.

good move

Skidsteer
06-25-2008, 18:37
Funny thing.

That's why I quit the political forums. Too many clueless left-footed foot stompers for my tastes. :) No one listens to another viewpoint, just stomps their feet and whine when you call 'em liberal. What's with dat?

Respectfully,
Proud to be conservative

Hey. Fellas. Remember?

What happens in the Politics forum stays in the Politics forum. Good Lord! Let's not advertise and lure any more goobers over there.

I got enough on my plate already.

Tin Man
06-25-2008, 19:49
Hey. Fellas. Remember?

What happens in the Politics forum stays in the Politics forum. Good Lord! Let's not advertise and lure any more goobers over there.

I got enough on my plate already.

I really didn't think my post was an endorsement. Actually, I thought it was quite the opposite. Then again, if the goobers went to the political forums, there might be less of a mess here. ;)