PDA

View Full Version : His first time!

Cherokee Bill
06-22-2008, 16:30
:sun This past Saturday, I took my 11-yo g-son on a day hike, on the “AT” (his first time). We hiked the “AT” up past “guillotine-rock” (Apple Orchard Mtn) to the back of the FAA radar-tower, then reversed direction and hiked to Thunder Hill Shelter. At the shelter he got to meet some Thru-hikers (I forgot their names), saw some deer and a pair of the LARGEST great-horned owls I have seen in my 61-yrs.

Well, he has fallen in love with the experience and wants to go back ASAP. The trip was a pleasure, to have introduced him to something I love and believe in so much. These young people are the future of the “AT”. :D

musicwoman
06-22-2008, 16:34
Congrats BillyBoy!!

Yesterday was my 19 year old daughter's first time on the AT. She also fell in love with it, and wants to bring her boyfriend back to hike when he flies in next Saturday.

My boys already know how wonderful it is to be out there. My daughter, having spent the last year in college, wasn't able to accompany us on any of our hikes.

I think I created a monster!

CrumbSnatcher
06-22-2008, 16:44
:sun This past Saturday, I took my 11-yo g-son on a day hike, on the “AT” (his first time). We hiked the “AT” up past “guillotine-rock” (Apple Orchard Mtn) to the back of the FAA radar-tower, then reversed direction and hiked to Thunder Hill Shelter. At the shelter he got to meet some Thru-hikers (I forgot their names), saw some deer and a pair of the LARGEST great-horned owls I have seen in my 61-yrs.

Well, he has fallen in love with the experience and wants to go back ASAP. The trip was a pleasure, to have introduced him to something I love and believe in so much. These young people are the future of the “AT”. :D
good for you, thats great. i have a 9 month old daughter and we are moving close to the trail very soon. i think she'll love growing up around the trail. i hope your g.son lives close and that forest,va. is close to the trail. i love virginia...

Summit
06-22-2008, 16:52
billyboy,

Those are some of the greatest experiences this life has to offer . . . quality time with our children and grandchildren, especially seeing them come to love the pure and wholesome things that we treasure also! :)

Frau
06-22-2008, 19:51
A great section to start him on, no? I started my daughter on Apple Orchard Falls Trail.

How wonderful to have a hiking granpop to turn him on to hiking!

Frau (other side of the mt.)

Blissful
06-22-2008, 21:26
That is so great!!! Super start. We did our first backpack trip with Paul Bunyan at that age (we did an easy one - Franconia Falls in the Whites, not part of the AT). He, of course, then went on to complete the trail last year at age 16. :)

cutman11
06-23-2008, 00:27
Great thread start -- reminded me of when I took my middle son for his first hike. We went up the kimsey creek trail to the AT and then up Albert mtn. Since then he has grown bigger than I am and at 15 has hiked over 400 miles of the AT with me in various states on my contiguous section hike from GA to (Mass, currently, but planning to ME). My only advice is to look for sections that are progressively longer but still relatively easy, and with good sights/views along the way. Before you know it, he will be out doing you. My son just finished 135 mi in CT/Mass with me.

SteveJ
06-23-2008, 09:05

whoo-hoo! Is he interested in overnighting now? Get that boy a pack!

Cherokee Bill
06-23-2008, 18:53
good for you, thats great. i have a 9 month old daughter and we are moving close to the trail very soon. i think she'll love growing up around the trail. i hope your g.son lives close and that forest,va. is close to the trail. i love virginia...

:-? Yep! Forest, VA is on the edge of Lynchburg, VA, located at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns, or about 30-min from the Peaks of Otter on the Blue Ridge Parkway. So we can be on the "AT" in about 35-min.

:banana All he talks about is going back to the trail, as we will during the July 4th holidays. He wants to try a part of the trail with more elevation change next time :eek:

PTL!

fiddlehead
06-23-2008, 19:08
My boy takes an hour to go 100 yards. I have dreams of a future thru-hike with him when he gets in his teens.
Funny how most of you are talking about grandchildren and here i am 57 and my boy is not quite 3 years old.
I waited till i had the time to spend with him i guess and am thoroughly enjoying these years. (I'm already fearing those days when he will have to start school and won't be around all day) (here in Thailand, they start them at 3 years old)

TOW
06-23-2008, 22:22

Well, he has fallen in love with the experience and wants to go back ASAP. The trip was a pleasure, to have introduced him to something I love and believe in so much. These young people are the future of the “AT”. :DHe will not only hike this trail but many more..........