PDA

View Full Version : Water Conditions on the trail in Pa.

shelterbuilder
06-22-2008, 22:10
Since I was out on the trail this weekend (6/21 - 22), I'll post this notice tonight before I forget any of the info. Water conditions are still surprisingly good. I personally checked the following water sources:

Windsor Furnace shelter - water flow was good.
Furnace Creek (near Windsor Furnace shelter) - excellent.
Minnehaha spring - adequate.
Pocahantas spring - good.
Brady spring (0.14 miles south of the AT on the new Schuylkill River Trail, south of Port Clinton) - good.
Phillips Canyon spring - dry.
unnamed spring between Phillip's Canyon and Eagle's Nest shelter - good.
Eagle's Nest shelter - adequate.
Sand spring - good.
Pine spring (on the roadwalk between Rt. 183 and Eagle's Nest shelter) - good.
Hemlock spring (near the Fort Dietrich Snyder marker) - good.

The following info is courtesy of LOTUS and her hiking companions:

Black Swatara spring (between Rt. 183 and Eagle's Nest shelter on the
AT) - good.
Hertline campsite - excellent.
Rt. 501 shelter - water at tap.
William Penn shelter - good.

That's all for now - hopefully I'll have more later as the season progresses.

Strategic
06-25-2008, 15:04
I'll be out this weekend doing Lehigh gap to DWG. I'll report back on the water situation Monday or Tuesday.

Strategic
06-29-2008, 12:41
Here's (some of) the promised water report for sections 1 & 2. I didn't get into section one at all, as I managed to give myself food poisoning on the first full day out and had to pull out at Smith Gap. My own stupid fault too, as it came from food I packed frozen when I should have defrosted it first, but didn't because I pulled the trip together at the last minute. All strategy, no tactics.

Water:

Metallica spring (3.6 north of Lehigh Gap) -- for what it's worth, Metallica is still flowing well. There is now a rock cairn by the northern trail down to it (the easy side to get at the spring) with a small stick/sign for the spring. It seems some thru-hikers who still use Wingfoot may have marked it for others following them. I'd still regard this as a last resort kind of source though, as I still haven't been able to find anyone who knows if it's been tested for heavy metals. Since they're doing restoration work along the north side of the mountain just past Metallica (the trail is diverted for the last mile into Little Gap) I'd regard it as an even bet it still has stuff in it you wouldn't want to drink (at least on a regular basis.)

Delp's Spring (4.7 north of Little Gap, +.3 side trail) -- Delp's is simply gone as a water source. It's already dry, when all other springs in the area are flowing fine. The AMC (or their ridgerunner) has removed the spring sign from the tree at the side trail. Only the distance signs remain, and several "no water" messages are written on them (for at least the last three weeks.) I climbed down anyway just to check, but no water could I find.

Stempa's Spring (5.6 north of Little Gap, + .6 side trail) -- Stempa's is flowing very nicely, with a solid 1 1/4" flow out of the pipe, plus a good pool behind it. This is a lovely spring and site, though there's only a little room around the spring. Be warned though, the trail starts off fairly easy but is steep and narrow for the bottom 2/3 of the way. With some additional traffic and work it won't be such a chore, but to a thirsty hiker it's quite a daunting prospect at the moment. Not that I'm criticizing the Mechanical Man for opening this beauty up, since just finding it in the dense cover down on the mountainside must have been a formidable challenge, much less routing the trail down.

And that, alas, is all I have. I had to pull out at Smith Gap, so I didn't get to check on the springs at Leroy Smith again. And, of course, the water in Wind Gap and at Kirkridge Shelter are taps and always reliable in-season like this.

shelterbuilder
06-29-2008, 20:44
Here's (some of) the promised water report for sections 1 & 2. I didn't get into section one at all, as I managed to give myself food poisoning on the first full day out and had to pull out at Smith Gap. My own stupid fault too, as it came from food I packed frozen when I should have defrosted it first, but didn't because I pulled the trip together at the last minute. All strategy, no tactics.

Water:

Metallica spring (3.6 north of Lehigh Gap) -- for what it's worth, Metallica is still flowing well. There is now a rock cairn by the northern trail down to it (the easy side to get at the spring) with a small stick/sign for the spring. It seems some thru-hikers who still use Wingfoot may have marked it for others following them. I'd still regard this as a last resort kind of source though, as I still haven't been able to find anyone who knows if it's been tested for heavy metals. Since they're doing restoration work along the north side of the mountain just past Metallica (the trail is diverted for the last mile into Little Gap) I'd regard it as an even bet it still has stuff in it you wouldn't want to drink (at least on a regular basis.)

Delp's Spring (4.7 north of Little Gap, +.3 side trail) -- Delp's is simply gone as a water source. It's already dry, when all other springs in the area are flowing fine. The AMC (or their ridgerunner) has removed the spring sign from the tree at the side trail. Only the distance signs remain, and several "no water" messages are written on them (for at least the last three weeks.) I climbed down anyway just to check, but no water could I find.

Stempa's Spring (5.6 north of Little Gap, + .6 side trail) -- Stempa's is flowing very nicely, with a solid 1 1/4" flow out of the pipe, plus a good pool behind it. This is a lovely spring and site, though there's only a little room around the spring. Be warned though, the trail starts off fairly easy but is steep and narrow for the bottom 2/3 of the way. With some additional traffic and work it won't be such a chore, but to a thirsty hiker it's quite a daunting prospect at the moment. Not that I'm criticizing the Mechanical Man for opening this beauty up, since just finding it in the dense cover down on the mountainside must have been a formidable challenge, much less routing the trail down.

And that, alas, is all I have. I had to pull out at Smith Gap, so I didn't get to check on the springs at Leroy Smith again. And, of course, the water in Wind Gap and at Kirkridge Shelter are taps and always reliable in-season like this.

Thanks for the additional info - and I hope you feel better soon. At least you managed to get out this weekend - I had to work Saturday and Sunday (12 and 9 hours respectively)! :(

dperry
07-07-2008, 20:29

Just out of curiosity, where exactly is this? My wife and I went out the first weekend of June (I'll get around to a trip report eventually:rolleyes:) and couldn't find this. Was it at the little creek that is in the dip between the two ridges? Fortunately, Phillips Canyon (where we camped) was still running OK at that point, or we would have been in trouble. Getting down to Phillips Canyon was an adventure too, but more about that whenever I get around to the report.

shelterbuilder
07-07-2008, 20:57
Just out of curiosity, where exactly is this? My wife and I went out the first weekend of June (I'll get around to a trip report eventually:rolleyes:) and couldn't find this. Was it at the little creek that is in the dip between the two ridges? Fortunately, Phillips Canyon (where we camped) was still running OK at that point, or we would have been in trouble. Getting down to Phillips Canyon was an adventure too, but more about that whenever I get around to the report.

Looking at the new maps, after you leave the Phillip's Canyon area, the trail crosses a Game Commission road and descends off the ridge, then makes two sharp turns within a half mile or so. You'll cross that little creek that you mentioned, and in a little while you'll start walking through an area that's loaded with ferns. Look on your left for a HUGE standing dead tree - right next to the trail - and turn off of the trail at that tree. If you walk toward the open area that you can see in the distance, you'll hit the boundary trail (marked with irregular white splotches) between State Game Lands (straight ahead) and State Forest Land. The spring lies on the boundary. Above the spring is a wide ravine, below the spring is a small stream. If you stand next to the spring and look back toward the trail, you can see that huge standing dead tree where you turned off the AT. This was the site of the old Ney's shelter, which was replaced by the Eagle's Nest shelter in 1988. There are several campsites at this location that are still used by locals. It's okay to camp here on State Forest Land, but not on Game Commission property (i.e. - the other side of the boundary line).

trailangelmary
07-24-2008, 18:13
Windsor Furnace shelter - water flow was good.
Furnace Creek (near Windsor Furnace shelter) - excellent.
Minnehaha spring - adequate.
Pocahantas spring - good.
Brady spring (0.14 miles south of the AT on the new Schuylkill River Trail, south of Port Clinton) - good.
Phillips Canyon spring - dry.
Eagle's Nest shelter - adequate.
Sand spring - good.
Pine spring (on the roadwalk between Rt. 183 and Eagle's Nest shelter) - good.
Hemlock spring (near the Fort Dietrich Snyder marker) - good.

The following info is courtesy of LOTUS and her hiking companions:

Black Swatara spring (between Rt. 183 and Eagle's Nest shelter on the
AT) - good.
Hertline campsite - excellent.
Rt. 501 shelter - water at tap.
William Penn shelter - good.

UPDATE FROM ATREAU - 08er
unnamed spring between Phillip's Canyon and Eagle's Nest shelter - now dry as well as creek below spring
Eagle's Nest shelter - very slow
Sand spring - now dry
Campanion listing wrong - From I81 underpass to next shelter says you go down from 1300 to 500' - it never happens

emerald
07-24-2008, 18:38
Sand spring - now dry

I assume you mean the upper, once-walled spring. It may be unprecedented were the lower spring to have run dry.

Campanion listing wrong - From I81 underpass to next shelter says you go down from 1300 to 500' - it never happens

I don't have a map with me at this time, but from William Penn Shelter to Swatara Gap those figures might be about right. If someone is reading correctly, the person who wrote the text may simply have put the words in the wrong order.

shelterbuilder
07-25-2008, 12:21
I assume you mean the upper, once-walled spring. It may be unprecedented were the lower spring to have run dry.

I don't have a map with me at this time, but from William Penn Shelter to Swatara Gap those figures might be about right. If someone is reading correctly, the person who wrote the text may simply have put the words in the wrong order.

Yeah, it sounds as if these numbers are heading nort-to-south, since William Penn is on the ridge top, and the I-81 underpass is in Swatara Gap.

Two additional watersources for folks to remember: the LOWER Sand Spring (down the Sand Spring blue trail, past the upper, walled empoundment; it's about a 15 minute walk farther than the Upper Sand Spring, but it has NEVER gone dry); 2 1/2 miles SOUTH of the William Penn Shelter, at the lookout with the "abandoned power line" sign, turn off the AT at the sign and follow the old woods road down the north side of the ridge for 8 - 10 minutes until the trail turns sharply left, GO STRAIGHT AHEAD off this road to the small gully that's barely visable from this turn, and there should be a small stream with pools deep enough to dip from.

Neither of these sources is listed in the book, but they are shown on the maps - another good reason to carry maps and know how to read them.

Also, as of last Saturday, the spring at the Peter's Mountain shelter was running good - 2 quarts in 2 minutes.

Pedaling Fool
07-25-2008, 12:26
I thought southern Pa had some of the best springs on the AT, very pretty with nice sandy bottoms. This was a big surprise to me, because I had heard a lot of bad things about Pa and water.

emerald
07-25-2008, 12:54
2 1/2 miles SOUTH of the William Penn Shelter, at the lookout with the "abandoned power line" sign, turn off the AT at the sign and follow the old woods road down the north side of the ridge for 8 - 10 minutes until the trail turns sharply left, GO STRAIGHT AHEAD off this road to the small gully that's barely visible from this turn, and there should be a small stream with pools deep enough to dip from.

SOBO hikers would do NOBOs a big favor to note in the register at Rausch Gap Shelter when Blue Mountain Spring (William Penn Shelter's water source) has gone dry. It may or may not this year. NOBOs would then know to whether to obtain water at the source described above.

Note to sb: BMECC might consider a mechanism for soliciting hiker involvement in gathering information about water sources in Berks and distributing this information at PA 501, Port Clinton and Eckville.

I believe it more important for summer AT hikers to know the fail safe sources they can rely upon under any conditions they can reasonably expect to encounter rather than worry about the reliability every individual source.

shelterbuilder
07-25-2008, 15:53
...Note to sb: BMECC might consider a mechanism for soliciting hiker involvement in gathering information about water sources in Berks and distributing this information at PA 501, Port Clinton and Eckville....

That wouldn't be a bad idea, but it would have to be an informal thing, since the club has no formal policy on such things. (I won't be attending many meetings fom now on - I'm working 2nd shift now...this is a good thing, BTW, since it frees up some daylight time for trail work, although right now, I'm still trying to get used to the schedule change!) Maybe we could talk to the caretakers at 501 and Eckville, and ask them to hang up a "water info board" so that water info can be readily exchanged.

emerald
07-25-2008, 22:56
It's good the club doesn't have a formal policy about informal things. Gathering and sharing information about water sources could be quite controversial.;)

emerald
07-29-2008, 07:10
Brady spring on the Schuylkill River Trail just south of the A.T. was dry yesterday. It's not likely to prove to be a reliable summer water source. Hikers should obtain water at Port Clinton in summer before leaving town.

Southbounders beginning at Port Clinton should realize it's entirely possible they'll not see water until Schubert's Gap, although water can always be obtained by walking down Sand Spring Trail and north of Fort Dietrich Snyder marker.

saimyoji
08-03-2008, 14:28
On 7/30 the spring just south of rt 183 was flowing.

emerald
08-03-2008, 15:27
Anyone know what the water situation looks like at AHC Shelter? Water can be packed in from PA 309 or Eckville and information is likely availble at Eckville, but that's a spring that can be unreliable as summer wears on.:-?

emerald
08-11-2008, 18:30
A post concerning BMS was added to William Penn Shelter thread today. Go there (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=681033#post681033) to read it and scroll up in either thread for directions to WPS's alternate water source.

It's likely Eagle's Nest Shelter's water supply is little better. Berks rainfall has been about normal, but these ridgetop springs are not reliable even in typical summers. Plan accordingly.

shelterbuilder
08-21-2008, 08:00
I was at the William Penn shelter yesterday (installing a second composting bin at the toilet) and walked down to the spring afterward. ONE DROP PER SECOND!!!:eek:

Northbounders: the next reliable water is the tap at the Rt. 501 shelter.

Southbounders: 2 1/2 miles south of the shelter is a sign that reads "abandoned power line". Take the old woods road (to the right) downhill for 10 - 12 minutes until the road turns sharply left. At this point, GO STRAIGHT (ie - off the road) to the little ravine ahead of you, and there is a small stream that has several pools deep enough for dipping. Water should be treated before using. Note: since this is a fairly steep climb back up, you may want to leave your pack part-way down, where it can't be seen from the AT.

saimyoji
08-21-2008, 10:42
as of 8-20 the spring at the outerbridge shelter is flowing nicely.

Strategic
08-21-2008, 18:01
I was just up at Bake Oven Knob dayhiking yesterday, so here's the water report for Bake Oven Knob and Outerbridge shelters:

I took the blue blaze all the way down to spring #3 at Bake Oven Knob (Craig's Spring is what it's sign calls it) and they're all dry as a bone with no sign of recent water. There are even small plants starting to grow in the sand of the outflow channel at spring #1.

That means no water between Outerbridge and New Tripoli campsite.

Fortunately, I did run into three SOBOs; two on the climb down from Bake Oven Knob and a third at the shelter. All three reported bad water conditions further north but that Outerbridge is still running well with a good pool.

About the further north...what I got from the kilted young hiker at the shelter was that he'd come that morning from Kirkridge shelter and had found only Stempa's spring to have water (though he said it still had a great flow.) I wasn't clear if he checked the lowest spring at Leroy Smith, but the upper was dry quite some time ago.

The hiking itself was beautiful, with a lot of folks from the local hawk watch out on the Knob. It was also a perfect hiking day and I was able to show my newly-arrived-in-Philly hiking partner just how rough and how good the PA AT can be.:D

Private Pyle
08-21-2008, 23:24
Went past the Minnehaha spring on 8/17 and it is dry.

Brion.

shelterbuilder
08-22-2008, 12:13
Thanks for the postings, folks. Here's another one. Hemlock Spring (near the Fort Dietrich Snyder marker, just south of Rt. 183) is still flowing nicely. This one is important right now, because it's the only reliable water source NEAR the trail from Schubert's Gap/Hertline campsite to Port Clinton. (I'm not counting the lower Sand Spring here, because that's over 20 minutes off of the trail and down a very rocky footpath. However, that spring is within 2 miles of the Eagle's Nest Shelter, and has never gone dry, even when the upper Sand Spring does. I have NOT had the time to check the Lower Sand Spring yet - too much work lately!)

Private Pyle
08-27-2008, 19:48
Anyone know what the water conditions are on Peter's Mountain in section #8?

Brion.

emerald
08-27-2008, 20:06
Can't help you with your request, but as you know we haven't had much rain. Someone can surely can help out with the information you desire and I PMed a likely candidate.

While we're inquiring about water near SGL #211, anyone have current information on Rausch Gap Shelter's supply?

trailangelmary
08-29-2008, 00:32
Hoping to see some southbounders by now to help with that info. But no luck yet. Not to say no southbounders have been through yet but I haven't had the opportunity to talk to any. If I get any time to do some hiking this weekend, I'll check it out.

Tractor
09-01-2008, 07:32
On my recent little section hike I found:

8/24 - Pocahantas Spring - Fine

Gold Spring, just below the first one, running fine. I made a pool about 10" by 20" for dipping and it clarified in about 2 minutes. Had several dayhikers tell us Gold was dry and not to even stop. Oh well....

Allentown Shelter, Second Spring on yellowblaze trail - Fine but keep your boots on and be patient, it can be a slide.

Leroy Smith Shelter, Third Spring, Very Fine, Great Setup w/pipe !

emerald
09-05-2008, 21:42
Hemlock Spring (near the Fort Dietrich Snyder marker, just south of Rt. 183) is still flowing nicely. This one is important right now, because it's the only reliable water source NEAR the trail from Schubert's Gap/Hertline campsite to Port Clinton. (I'm not counting the lower Sand Spring here, because that's over 20 minutes off of the trail and down a very rocky footpath. However, that spring is within 2 miles of the Eagle's Nest Shelter, and has never gone dry, even when the upper Sand Spring does. I have NOT had the time to check the Lower Sand Spring yet - too much work lately!)

Hemlock Spring fading fast on Thursday, Sept. 4. No flow from pipe. Enough flow beneath it from which to dip water or fill a small bottle without too much difficulty. Everything else near piped location dry.

Anyone know what the water conditions are on Peter's Mountain in section #8?

I'm hopeful forecasted rain headed our way will improve conditions and anticipate a report Sunday.

Pocahontas Spring reported satisfactory by hikers at Port Clinton Wed., Sept 3.

shelterbuilder
09-06-2008, 13:13
Hopefully the rain today will help to bring the springs up a little. This weather event started last night as a slow soaking rain, so it's possible that most of this will not run off.

As of Tuesday, the spring at William Penn shelter was still dry as a bone.

emerald
09-06-2008, 13:29
As of Tuesday, the spring at William Penn shelter was still dry as a bone.

Any word on the alternate source?

shelterbuilder
09-06-2008, 13:34
Any word on the alternate source?

I haven't had the chance to get that far out on that section; I'm assuming that it is still flowing, since it's quite a ways down the north side of the ridge, AND since it didn't go dry at all last year. The last few times that I've been in to the shelter, I've been doing work on the toilet and/or the surrounding area, and haven't had a lot of extra time for the 5 mile round trip to the stream.

emerald
09-08-2008, 18:43
Reading Regional Airport reported 2.59 inches for the 24-hour period. Might have been enough to recharge some of the dry ridgetop springs just in time for SOBOs now moving into Pennsylvania.:)

Bearpaw
09-08-2008, 21:21
I've moved Joe8484's post about water conditions on the Black Forest Trail to the "Other Trails" forum. You can respond to it here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40931).

tight-wad
09-08-2008, 23:59
The last few times that I've been in to the shelter, I've been doing work on the toilet and/or the surrounding area, and haven't had ...

Thank you for all you do!!!:clap

shelterbuilder
09-09-2008, 15:56
No problem, tight-wad - just my way of paying it forward.

Hemlock Spring (south of Rt. 183) is running nicely for this time of year...not running fast coming out of the pipe, but there's a nice pool under the pipe for dipping/pumping.

GoldenBear
09-12-2008, 12:10
I spent Wednesday evening / Thursday morning at Peter's Mountain. The trail register is most useful in getting the latest news on the spring, which is about 300 steps below the shelter. Here's the latest entries (including mine -- I've also done some spell corrections and notes in [brackets]):

Sept 10 -- Water IS flowing from the pipe. Flow is steady but not fast. Took about 45 minutes grand total to get down, fill up a two gallon container, and return.
Sept 7 -- Headed down for water spring, we'll tell you the outcome upon coming back up.
* (45 minutes later) I had to wait 30 minutes to fill a [one gallon] jug.
Sept 6 -- Beautiful spring at .2 mile north of the creek on [PA State Hiway] 325. Trickle here but gettable.
Sept 6 -- We filled one gallon in 45 minutes. There wasn't any water for the next 17 miles [Couldn't determine if the writer meant north or south of PM]
Sept 4 -- The spring is unreliable _only_ because the pipe doesn't connect to it. Someone must have pulled on it. There is a "trickle" of water coming out of the crevass. Water collects into murky pools, but they don't contain more than a liter each. I had to jam the corner of my plastic bucket into the crevass where the trickle came down and hold it with my finger. I got maybe a liter, tops, after 20-30 minutes of this. You won't be able to catch the trickle with a hard container.
Sept 2 -- The walk tothe _unreliable_ spring is a pain. I was barely able to get any water, the spring was low.
Aug 29 -- The water is _not running_ from the pipe at all. For now this _spring_ should be considered _unreliable_.

Best advice is to realize that the spring is slow and difficult to get to, AT BEST.

emerald
09-12-2008, 12:52
Thanks, GB. Helpful information for SOBOs.

Your post serves to illustrate how much the rain event of Sept 6 increased flow. Raining again today in Berks County perhaps also on PM.

emerald
09-21-2008, 12:07
There has been next to no rain reported anywhere in Pennsylvania for the last week. Those who find what I just wrote hard to believe, click here (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/PANY_counties_7_color.htm).

I expect the rain I mentioned in post #31 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=694408&postcount=31) means little to hikers on the A.T. now. Those planning hikes should realize springs high on Blue Mountain are likely dry.

Plan on summer hiking conditions on the Pennsylvania A.T. until more rain falls. That means your water will be coming mostly from taps or springs well off the ridgetop.

Anyone hiking in Pennsylvania is encouraged to help update this thread. I might get out this week to check out some of the more important natural sources in Berks County.

As always at this time of the year, water is available at Eckville, Port Clinton, Schubert's Gap (Hertlein Campsite) and PA 501 Shelter.

emerald
09-26-2008, 10:32
Spring reported dry yesterday in another thread. To read the post, click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=701751&postcount=11).

emerald
09-26-2008, 10:48
Rain in the amount of 0.27 inches reported at Reading Regional Airport within the last 24 hours. More expected over the next several days. Improving conditions, restored flow of natural sources now dry may be expected.

emerald
10-19-2008, 21:31
Until what time can hikers expect to obtain water from the tap at PA 501 Shelter? Do you know if the alternates are presently running?

shelterbuilder
10-19-2008, 21:51
Until what time can hikers expect to obtain water from the tap at PA 501 Shelter? Do you know if the alternates are presently running?

My best guess (ONLY A GUESS) would be until the first hard freeze - maybe 2 to 3 weeks??? There is a small spring down the north side of the ridge, but I don't know how good the flow is right now.

Even though I've been up around Rt. 501 a lot these last few weeks, I haven't been over to talk to Caretaker Ron. I'm concentrating less on socializing and more on getting that work at the cabin done before I go back to the hospital on Nov. 3rd.

emerald
10-19-2008, 22:12
There is a small spring down the north side of the ridge, but I don't know how good the flow is right now.

If it's a no go, that leaves Ludwig's Brunne which is the more reliable of the two, is it not?

shelterbuilder
10-19-2008, 22:20
If it's a no go, that leaves Ludwig's Brunne which is the more reliable of the two is it not?

Ludwig's Brunne is probably more reliable...I always forget about that one. It's been a while since I was down there, too - last April, I think.

Before NPS bought up all of the land up there, Ludwig's Brunne had pollution problems because it was downfield from all of those summer homes. I got out of the habit of relying on the water there because of the water quality issues. But in the 20-some years that have passed since the NPS bought the land and tore down the homes, I understand that the spring runs fairly clean again. It's good that Mother Nature can clean up our mistakes like that!

emerald
10-19-2008, 22:41
It wouldn't be right if today's pilgrims couldn't quench their thirsts there!

emerald
10-26-2008, 17:09
I visited with Caretaker Ron earlier today. He told me the shower will be out-of-service until next spring.

Drinking water is still available to hikers at the shower area, but probably not for much longer. When he turns off the water there, he expects to provide drinking water through the winter from the tap on the side of the caretaker's house nearest the shelter. Both are signed and easy to find.

Ludwig's Brunne, the piped spring at Pilger Ruh on the blue blaze just north of 501 Shelter is flowing at this time.

emerald
11-14-2008, 19:42
I've seen updates on Pennsylvania water conditions a number of places recently and have made no attempt to link them or accumulate the information here. Since hikers appear to be on the AT in greater numbers now and conditions are dry, I thought I'd wake up this thread and solicit first-hand accounts only from those who have visited these sources themselves.

I'll gather and repost my water monitoring links again. With some basic information about the location and general reliability of sources, one can get a pretty good idea what to expect with 2 or 3 clicks.

emerald
11-15-2008, 17:29
To get some idea whether AT hikers can depend upon springs in Berks County, I refer to MARFC's 30-day (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/PANY_counties_30_color.htm) and 7-day (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/PANY_counties_7_color.htm) maps, NWS data (http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KRDG.html) collected at Reading Regional Airport/Carl A. Spaatz Field in Bern Township and NWS's 7-day forecast for Port Clinton (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Port+Clinton&state=PA&site=PHI&textField1=40.5822&textField2=-76.0247&e=0).

Along with Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania, these links give a good idea what to expect. The general and relative reliability of springs is indicated in KTA's guide and known to more-experienced local hikers.

Visit the links to see how much precipitation compared to the norm has been recorded for the last 30 days, the last 7 days, within the last 24 hours and what's forecast. If MARFC's maps are showing red, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and none is forecast, be prepared for dry conditions. Please be advised, even when conditions are normal (green) during the summer, ridgetop springs may be unreliable.

emerald
11-16-2008, 17:24
MARFC's 30-day (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/PANY_counties_30_color.htm) and 7-day (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/PANY_counties_7_color.htm) maps, NWS data (http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KRDG.html) collected at Reading Regional Airport/Carl A. Spaatz Field in Bern Township and NWS's 7-day forecast for Port Clinton (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Port+Clinton&state=PA&site=PHI&textField1=40.5822&textField2=-76.0247&e=0).

Please be advised, even when conditions are normal (green) during the summer, ridgetop springs may be unreliable.

Natural Blue Mountain water sources should now be more reliable.

emerald
12-17-2008, 21:37
MARFC's 7-day (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/marfc/Maps/PANY_counties_7_color.htm) maps

Entire Pennsylvania AT violet!

Trooper
09-23-2009, 13:09
I hiked b/w Rt 183 and Swatara Gap this last weekend. There still some flowing water at the William Penn shelter and some other places along the way.

CowHead
09-23-2009, 14:27
I'm going from PenMar to Duncannon starting Oct 6 seems like there's been more than enough rain to keep things a flowing question for the PA folks from Alec Kennedy Shelter to Darlington Shelter is really that flat as it looks on the map?

emerald
09-23-2009, 14:29
I'm going from PenMar to Duncannon starting Oct 6 seems like there's been more than enough rain to keep things a flowing. Question for the PA folks: is Alec Kennedy Shelter to Darlington Shelter really that flat as it looks on the map?

The short answer to your queston is yes. That's the Cumberland Valley section.

Please note my comments below and update the thread linked when you finish.

While it does contain useful information, this thread was compiled in 2008. We've begun a new thread each hiking season the current thread being the 3rd.

Please refer to Pennsylvania Water Sources 2009 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52656) for current information and to post updates.

CowHead
09-23-2009, 14:41
as long as the beer is flowing at the Doyle everthing is good in PA

CowHead
09-23-2009, 14:43
The short answer to your queston is yes. That's the Cumberland Valley section.

Please note my comments below and update the thread linked when you finish.

While it does contains useful information, this thread was compiled in 2008. We've begun a new thread each hiking season, this thread being the 3rd.

Please refer to Pennsylvania Water Sources 2009 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52656) for current information and to post updates.

Thanks for the info

CowHead
06-09-2011, 09:13
hows the water flowing from pen-mar to Duncannon anyone know?

trippclark
06-09-2011, 10:15
hows the water flowing from pen-mar to Duncannon anyone know?

I was a little north of this area last week (Swatara Gap to Little Gap) and the water was fine. All listed springs and streams were flowing. I would suspect the same for the area you are asking about.

emerald
06-09-2011, 13:45
This thread is now 2 years old. Consider starting a new thread as we've done before with each new hiking season as summer approached.

I realize starting a new thread involves more effort than waking up an old thread and in this case might give the impression of respecting precedent. Consider those who stand to benefit most by not expecting them to wade through dated information that may do more to confuse than inform.

Shelterbuilder is busy with Rausch Gap Shelter and I don't expect to contribute much if anything new. Any Pennsylvania water thread for 2011 will rely heavily upon those who visit taking the time to gather information and post it.

PA water 2011 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73701)