PDA

View Full Version : Cappuccino on the Trail

Bob S
06-22-2008, 22:35
I like Cappuccino, when you buy it at a store it’s all whipped up, but when I make it while camping it’s made by heating water and mixing the powder in, it’s good, but just not as good.

I was wondering if there is a way to make it like they do when you buy it from stores or the local carryout. Will one of the GSI stove-top espresso things work with Cappuccino? Has anyone tried this?

Wise Old Owl
06-22-2008, 23:19
Heat a cup of water to 150 degrees, use nonfat powder or Nido and if you are good at rubbing your hands together use the swizzler to get the froth part done. Nonfat makes better foam, Nido makes better taste.

Personnally if I had to do it I would heat the water - milk mixure to 150 and put it in a double lined coffe mug with a screw on top that doesn't leak and shake it like a bartender does for 5 minutes. Put the coffee mix in seperate somehow so it sinks to the bottom

sarbar
06-23-2008, 00:32
It is steam that froths milk (9 years as a barista - and here in the PNW it is right of passage for women to be one :p ).
So can you make one like you get at a latte hut? Not really. You can get a milk frother made by GSI btw...but it isn't the same. You need pressure to make the steam.

4eyedbuzzard
06-23-2008, 00:36
Just make the whoosh noise and pretend :D

mister krabs
06-23-2008, 08:22
The GSI stovetop pressure cooker works very well.
I've only used the larger one. With a little experience it can do a decent job of frothing milk if you get the cup out of the way and a milk cup under the spout. Alternately, you can put milk in the cup before you start, and as the espresso/steam mix jets out of the spout it will froth it quite a bit. The pot makes a brew very much like other stovetop espresso machines such as the bialetti moka express. Way better than counter-top pump pressure machines. It's a very worthwhile addition if you're not weight obsessed. It's almost a lb when you count the coffee, sugar milk and such. I usually bring mine on weekend trips, though I just got an IMUSA grease pot with an included strainer that I'm going to try for coffee on my next outing.